Old 08-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Default Venting- love vegetarian/vegan stuff

So I'm very frustrated.

Atkins works WONDERS for me, but I know that animal protein ages the body and is just over all not good for us. I know dairy isn't good either and is an inflammatory, and bad for my ovarian cysts (I have PCOS).

But when I eat mostly vegetarian I'm hungry so I eat more then gain weight. *Sigh*

Can anyone suggest any low carb vegetarian/vegan meals? Especially breakfast.

Nuts make my forehead break out so I try to stay clear of those. I eat seeds like flax and sunflower.

Sorry, just needed to vent! I can't do the 80% animal diet thing anymore.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There are tons of vegetarian low carb and vegetarian South Beach websites with tips and recipes. Google is probably the easiest ways to find them, just search "vegetarian low carb" or "vegetarian South Beach."

I'm not vegetarian, but I incorporate a lot of vegetarian proteins into our meals, because husband and I are on disability and a very lean budget. TVP or TSP (textered vegetable protein or textured soy protein) is a lot cheaper than ground beef (about 1/3 to 1/4 the price per serving). We usually use it combined with real ground beef to make a mixture that is 1/4 to 1/2 beef, to "stretch" the ground beef, but it can be used alone.

Amazon.com has a couple good tvp cookbooks, and you can get them cheap if you buy used (I bought my first tvp book for a penny, plus $3.49 shipping an handling- now s/h is 3.99 per book for used books; if you buy new amazon books you can get free s/h if you buy $25 or more worth of books).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #3  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I'm vegetarian (last 5 years) and I watch my carbs too. Personally, I *LOVE* dairy -- cheese, milk, eggs, yogurt, whatevs (but all organic, always!), and I feel great and full and satisfied after I eat it and all my bloodwork, etc. is very healthy. But then, I don't have PCOS, so I can imagine the consequences of eating anything like that would have on your condition. Eek!

But dairy aside, I have been incorporating a lot of flax products into my breakfasts -- check out "Men's Bread" (I forget the brand); it has lots of fiber so that two slices of the bread are only like 10 carbs (for BOTH) and ZERO grams of sugar. I've also been using flax waffles in the mornings, which have more carbs/sugar than the Men's Bread, but is still pretty good. I use either real butter OR Smart Balance buttery spread (which is vegan) with berries. There is also a way to use firm tofu to make a morning scramble with vegetables.

My body also can't take how grain-based the vegetarian diet often is. There was a time about 2 years ago or so that I was considering veganism, but I just couldn't give up the dairy.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #4