Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Has anyone read Skinny B**ch?

I was at Barns N Noble and saw this book, I didn't buy it, but thought I'd ask around about it first. If you have read it, please give me your review on it.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i started reading it (came highly recommended by a friend of mine) the first 2 chapters were funny but couldn't finish the book.. as i read more i had a lot of controversry with what she was saying...it was a bit too much. There was a lot of stupid things that i don't necessarily agree with...but that is just a personal opinion. My friend loved it. I just didn't agree with certain accusations she made. I felt that some of the "facts" she stated weren't "fact bases" (ie i could have found research that debated some of the "facts") and since i'm a type of person who is very fact based (have a dvm and a masters) i jsut couldn't read it any more...but i was given the book...didn't buy it. (:

Last edited by GatorgalstuckinGA; 01-02-2008 at 10:42 PM.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #3  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

From what I understand it is about eating clean, VERY clean, vegan if you can. But they are funny and saucy (sort of RUDE-LIKE). I googled it just now and read a few pages. I think their attitudes are very ruthless, so I don't know if I would enjoy it, but some people love that stuff.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I find the title and general tone offensive. I just don't think women need to be portrayed as anymore catty, competitive and jealous, ya know?
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorgalstuckinGA View Post
I just didn't agree with certain accusations she made. I felt that some of the "facts" she stated weren't "fact bases" (ie i could have found research that debated some of the "facts")
I'd be very interested to hear what those were.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #6  
it's always something

I have it, didn't finish it. I thought the language was so over the top that I couldn't stand to read it. While their points may be valid, it doesn't matter if no one can stand to listen to you
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:24 AM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I have it and LOVED it! Really made me think about a lot of things, a lot of things I already knew. It made me laugh...thinking about getting their cook book...Skinny Bi*ch in the Kitch...catchy titles for me. I don't really mind the B word...I am what I am, lol.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I was looking at books on Amazon today, and happened upon that book. There a lots of review you could read there. I wasn't interested because it sounds like they promote vegan-ism very vigorously and I am not into becoming vegan at this point.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:56 AM   #9  
Meg

The New York Times reviewed their new cookbook yesterday here. The article will give you a good sense of what the book promotes and whether it's something that might interest you.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
I'd be very interested to hear what those were.
One of my coworkers read it, and I think one of the so called "facts" is that milk is bad for you because the purpose of milk is to fatten you up, which is why only babies drink it in nature.

I don't think I could read this book. It sounds like it contains a lot of specious logic.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellydisney View Post
One of my coworkers read it, and I think one of the so called "facts" is that milk is bad for you because the purpose of milk is to fatten you up, which is why only babies drink it in nature.

I don't think I could read this book. It sounds like it contains a lot of specious logic.
Even that fact is only partially true. The part about humans being the only species to drink milk after infancy IS true...but not for the fattening up part. The real fact is, it is complete nutrition in the perfect amount, and perfect temperature for each particular species. Cow's milk is perfect in composition for calves...human milk is perfect in composition for infants, etc. Each species produces a milk made perfect for our own kind.

The reason milk isn't "great" for humans is because, it isn't meant for humans-it's composition is meant to be perfect for calves.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I read it, and while it was a very entertaining read, I would not consider going vegan as a weight loss option. The book IS rude, crude, and full of opinions, but I actually enjoyed that part. The problem is that while I laughed and smiled while reading it, I didn't find it practical. I love chicken, seafood, and a good steak on occasion... plus, I'm not trying to be a skinny b*tch - just a BUFF one. It's common knowledge that plenty of protein is needed to build muscle (1 gram per pound is ideal, though 100 is easier to follow) and that the more muscle mass you have, the faster your metabolism goes.

The book perpetuates the following statement: skinny = healthy, fat = unhealthy - that is not entirely true. Most very skinny people that I've met are UNhealthy. I also know "fat thin" people who eat lots of crap, never exercise, and still stay thin but have terrible bloodwork because the fat is stored between their organs and in their blood instead of externally.

I honestly don't want to be as skinny as those women who wrote that book because I know I'd be hungry, and with my large bone structure, it just would not look right. I'd rather just be healthy and strong.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #13  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I have the book as it came highly recommended to me. I have not completed it yet. I will finish it but it is a lil over the top.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

the "facts" i was mentioning were related to animal protien..now i don't remember what what the exact things were at this time (since its been almost a year since i attempted to read it) but i do remember saying that some of what they were saying wasn't true. I have a Master's in Animal Science Nutrition and alot of the facts weren't true. Now don't get me wrong...anyone who wants to do a vegan lifestyle...good for them...but its not for me. as for the book being rude/crude...yes it is...it is not a good book for people who dont' take sarcastic crabby humor. I actually sort of liked the additude in the book...but after a while it did get too much..in addition, it almost seemed like her methods of weight loss didn't really encoorperate exercise (now it may have later down the road in the book). I just sort of felt that i was sitting next to the annoying skinny "i only eat lettuce for lunch" fashion diva that couldn't be seen eating an ounce of fat. Im not trying to insult anyone with that comment...but it really seems like she's not in the everyday world. If i remember correctly, she worked in the fashion industry...so it sort of came off to me as if "this is how you must live to be high fashion"
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #15  

I got it last night and have already read it. I think it's a really good book and the language must have worked for me because I actually read it. I think alot of the information is good don't know if I can do completely vegan. But the information about dairy actually seems to make sense. And soda is Satan and sugar is the Devil. I haven't gotten the cook book though.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote