3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks-121/)
-   -   Veggie Burgers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks/127807-veggie-burgers.html)

tamaralynn 11-26-2007 08:45 PM

Veggie Burgers

I've recently become addicted to Vegetarian burgers. I'm by no means a vegetarian - but my family and I have started to enjoy more and more meatless meals :)

My all time favorite vegetarian burger is a Superstore brand (for you other Canadians out there). It's a Portabella Mushroom and Swiss burger that is all the "Mushroom Swiss" without the meat Love it love it love it!! (Just the though of ground beef makes me gag) :)

I've tried a few different recipes for making my own vegetarian burgers, but they just don't seem very good (tasteless).

One big problem is some burgers just don't stick together well and crumble when I'm grilling on the barbeque.

Does anyone have some yummy burger recipes that stay formed when cooking on a grill?

lettingslenderin 11-26-2007 11:41 PM

I find that Morningstar Griller Prime stay together very well. They are a bit too meatlike for a lot of vegetarians, but they are fine for me. The Amys burgers stay together really well, too. So do gardenburgers.

I have yet to make a single homemade veggie burger that kept its shape, though, whether using my own ingredients or from a mix.

bargoo 11-27-2007 07:45 AM

Boca Burgers are good and hold up well.

katmeow 11-27-2007 07:45 AM

Tip for the grill. Spray the grill with cooking spray for grilling before you put the burger on. Then don't flip the burger until it is not sticking. I grill the morningstar burgers often and never have an issue.

shananigans 11-28-2007 03:04 PM

These are awesome! You need to add some fat for the "griller" version so they stick together, but they are very yummy and easy to throw together, even the man at my house can make them :lol:

tamaralynn 11-28-2007 08:14 PM

Ooooh thanks!

What is TVP?

SoulBliss 11-28-2007 08:16 PM

Texturized vegetable protein.

junebug41 11-28-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulBliss (Post 1944435)
Texturized vegetable protein.

I'm listening...

nelie 11-28-2007 09:34 PM

June, you don't know TVP? You can buy it at Whole Foods. Bob's Red Mill is one brand so you might be able to find it wherever you find their products.

rabidstoat 12-02-2007 02:08 AM

I go through phases of what I like. One of my favorites, though, time and again, is the Morningstar Black Bean burgers. Yum! I might pick some up when I go grocery shopping tomorrow...

LindseyLouWho 12-06-2007 05:48 PM

I bought a boxed veggie burger mix from Fantastic World Foods that seemed to be quite firm and hold together well, although I cooked them in a skillet and not on a grill. The only thing about those is that they are quite bland, so unless you're going to be putting very zesty toppings on them, I'd suggest adding your own seasonings and aromatics (like onions, etc.) to the mix. The good thing about that is that it's very customizable.

Other than that, the Amy's Texas Burgers might hold up well, but the California ones don't have soy protein to hold them together since they're only made of grains and tend to fall apart more easily. Morningstar Farms also makes a great Tomato & Basil Pizza burger that is quite tasty.

CountingDown 12-06-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidstoat (Post 1947772)
I go through phases of what I like. One of my favorites, though, time and again, is the Morningstar Black Bean burgers. Yum! I might pick some up when I go grocery shopping tomorrow...

I grilled them tonight! They are just wonderful grilled, so juicy and tasty :)

foucault 01-01-2008 03:56 AM

The American Grillers Boca Burgers are fantastic. I also like the Black Bean Burgers that Morningstar makes.

tamaralynn 01-03-2008 03:39 PM

Okay I gotta find these Morningstar burgers, they probably have them at Sobeys or Superstore :)

sodredge 01-07-2008 04:54 AM

Morningstar Farms brand veggie burgers can be found at almost any grocery store that sells meat alternatives in the freezer section. I know Walmart has them, Bi-Lo, Sweet Bay, and Publix. don't know if any of those are around you but I hope that helps