Old 11-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Eat, Drink, and Weigh Less - a vegetarian friendly diet from Willett and Katzen

Every now and then, someone comes along to ask about a vegetarian diet that is more structured (something more than choose whole foods and watch your portions). I was browsing my neglected copy of Eat Drink and Weigh Less and realized it's made for vegetarians! The authors are Dr. Walter Willett, from Harvard, and Mollie Katzen, author of the Moosewood Cookbook and other highly regarded vegetarian cookbooks.

It's not strictly vegetarian, but encourages it. Breakfast and lunch are vegetarian, and dinner allows a "protein of choice" which could be chicken, seafood, or tofu or other vegetarian choices. It's not vegan, there's plenty of dairy and eggs here, but it is a whole foods and balanced diet that is calorie controlled. Each sample menu contains 1400 to 1600 calories. There are two sample diets included. The 21 day diet is just that - 21 days of full menus and recipes. Then there's a Portable Plan which is a 7 day plan of simple recipes for people that work and may not have time for regular meals. It includes a breakfast and dinner, and 2 mini lunches that are fast and easy to pack.

The way it's written makes it very easy to share the diet with non-vegetarians in your family as well.

Consumer Reports rated this diet book very highly, although they said the sample menus averaged 1900, not 14-1600 as claimed. It might not hurt to use Fitday at first to check it out.

Have any of you read this book?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I like the book. On their "Body Score" quiz, I score a 42 out of a possible 50 (they say aim for 25 and better). I love their basic principles ("Turning Points")! http://www.eatdrinkandweighless.com/quiz.htm

The Nine Turning Points

1.Eat lots of vegetables and fruit.
2.Say yes to good fats.
3.Upgrade your carbohydrates.
4.Choose healthy proteins.
5.Stay hydrated.
6.Alcohol—yes. In moderation.
7.Take a multivitamin every day.
8.Move more.
9.Eat mindfully all day long.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My score was somewhere over 40, I didn't really do exact counts.

I don't drink, I'm a little lax on my multivitamin, I eat while watching tv and I don't eat much added fats.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote