3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks-121/)
-   -   7 week ETL challenge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks/126965-7-week-etl-challenge.html)

Suzanne 3FC 11-21-2007 11:34 PM

I'm hooked on roasted peppers and put them in everything! I went to a big farmers market not too long ago and bought 12 pounds of red peppers for only 8 bucks. I roasted them all and froze them individually :T

carolr3639 11-22-2007 10:47 AM

I chop mine up and freeze them right from the garden. I even put them on salads and noone notices that they were frozen. I wonder if you could roast them after you freeze them.

gggbdomino 11-22-2007 03:32 PM

HI ladies happy Tofukery day or lentel and spinich with mushrooms day which ever. I'm at work today but I get off at 2 then it's off to pick up a friend then off to the store for some canberries and lst minute stuff.

I hope you all have a wonderful blessed day. We all have so much to be thankful about.

carolr3639 11-26-2007 12:25 PM

How do you do this when your DH is a veterinarian and wouldn't think of a vegan lifestyle?

SoulBliss 11-26-2007 12:50 PM

It can work if you have your way of eating and purchasing and he has his. :)

Honestly, I know some people who are able to be veg or vegan with a partner who is omni and it works for them, but it would never work for me. Everyone has different ways of thinking about veganism or vegetarianism though, so if they are able to make it work, more power to them!

For me, veganism is the only choice, based on a combination of factors (ethics, environmentalism, health, Spirituality etc.) so to have a partner whose morals and values were divergent from mine in this way would not work.

nelie 11-26-2007 01:03 PM

It is easy for me. My husband eats what I make him. I make good tasting meals and he doesn't think he is missing out on anything. Would your husband complain if his meals were meatless?

If so, then you make your meal and his meal similar but add some meat to his.

This was completely my choice but after a couple days, DH said he enjoyed his foods and he felt a lot better eating the meatless diet.

Even so much that DH's mother sent us home with turkey for DH. I served him a small piece for dinner the other day and then he said his least favorite part of the meal was the turkey. So now my dog is enjoying turkey with her meals.

SoulBliss 11-26-2007 02:35 PM

Is anyone using ETL and calorie counting too?

nelie 11-26-2007 02:56 PM

I'm not but I've counted calories for some of my days and on a regular day, I get around 1100 calories. That is good considering I'm stuffed on those 1100 calories.

SoulBliss 11-26-2007 02:58 PM

Would you please post a typical day, with serving sizes included?

nelie 11-26-2007 05:06 PM

I can post today although I need to estimate on my lunch soup which is a bean soup with veggies. I went and looked up how many calories in a typical dry bean soup and used that for the estimate.

Breakfast - 2 spinach smoothies, 1 with 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, other with 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup of strawberries. (total calories 241)

Snack - 1/2 cup celery strips, 10 large baby carrots, medium sized apple (total calories 148)

Lunch - Salad with 1 cup of romaine lettuce, 1 roma tomato, 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1/2 cup celery, 1/2 cup cucumber, 1/2 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup black beans, 1 tbsp chunky nsa salsa (total calories 190)

Lunch (part 2) - Bean and veggie soup (4 cups, estimate around 300 calories)

Snack - 1/2 cup of celery strips, 10 large baby carrots (total calories 67)

Dinner - Salad, repeat of lunch salad (total calories 190)

Estimated calories for today - 1136

carolr3639 11-26-2007 07:07 PM

Nelie, Can you recommend a good vegan cookbook? And how do you make those spinach smoothies? Also the soup. Sorry all the questions.

nelie 11-26-2007 08:06 PM

I checked a few vegan cookbooks out from the library but my current favorite is Veganomicon. Second favorite would be Vegan with a Vengeance. Both are by the same author.

Most vegan cookbooks aren't meant to be healthy so some recipes I tweak a bit. Most of them though do seem to focus on quality foods and plenty of veggies.

Dreena Burton (Vive le Vegan and 2 other cookbooks, I think) tends to focus more on healthier foods but still not diet cookbooks.

Fatfreevegan.com is a great website for recipes and many are ETL friendly

For my smoothie, I basically just stuff spinach in a blender cup with 1/2 banana and 1/2 cup berries and then I blend. It comes out smooth and tastes mostly like berries. I could probably eat spinach smoothies all day if it wasn't so unbalanced :)

carolr3639 11-27-2007 10:25 AM

Thanks for the cookbook recommendations. I've never been much of a bean eater. How do you make the veggie, bean soup?

nelie 11-27-2007 11:24 AM

The veggie/bean soup was actually a mix of various beans and dehydrated veggies that I found at a local health food store in their bulk section. Although I've seen packages of 15 bean soup and such at regular grocery stores.

I used the mix, then added chopped celery, chopped mushrooms, chopped onions, garlic, a can of diced tomatoes and some seasoning. The flavor was actually a little off but not bad. I think I need to add a can of tomato sauce next time.

carolr3639 11-27-2007 06:06 PM

Fatfreevegan.com is a great place for recipes. Thanks!!!!!!!!!