Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Diet Delivery systems for vegetarians?

I posted a similar question under diet delivery, and got only one reply from a person who said she didn't know.

I'm using medifast now, and it is perfect. But I"m thinking ahead to the time of transition, because I am committed to keeping off the weight I lose.

But I think that maybe the vegetarians here might know.

Which diet delivery services have delicious vegetarian meals and deliver nationally? I saw Nutrisystem, but I have heard they taste pretty bad.

I found one spectacular sounding diet delivery system for vegetarians, but they only deliver to NYC and LA for 36.95 a day! That's out of my league right now.

What do you think about Jenny Craig or other diet delivery systems for vegetarians? I eat dairy but avoid eggs unless baked into something.

Thank you.
lettingslenderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/175/130

Height: 5'3"

I have been searching the web for something "absolutely healthy and toxin-free" and it seems like there is a large group people out there who eat only raw food and juices. To make all this food is a bit complicated (unless you have a food processor, juicer and dehydrator) but I found a company that sends a box of food to you. The price is a little too high for me at this point of my life, but if you live alone it may be worth it. I cannot post links yet..but search Google for "Rawvolution box" or simply "raw food delivery service)

Mind you, I did not try this company and neither the "raw" foods. But in the past (in my previous weigth-loss attempt) I ate milk and wheat free (because I suspected I have milk and wheat alergy) and because these two things are almost in everything that is sold, I did cook a lot of things from scratch. I lost a lot of weight eating walnuts, raisins and fruit tea (which was the only non-W&M food in the house until I got to the grocery store) - so I would say the raw diet is worth trying.
Let me know if you tried it and how it worked!
imagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:42 PM   #3  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I’m not sure what you’re looking for exists. I’ve got a blog acquaintance who did the veggie nutrisystem, you can read about her experience here (gotta scroll down a bit). I don’t think it worked out all that well for her in the end, she hasn’t mentioned it since.

If I may ask, are you completely committed to meal delivery systems? I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but the more whole and unprocessed foods you eat the better. And you’re right on about needing a transition to a sustainable eating lifestyle to keep the weight off. In fact I’d say it’s better to start off with something that’s sustainable, that’s why I don’t think meal delivery systems are the best of ideas to begin with. Few if any people will stick with these for good. Do you think you might be ready to start weaning yourself off medifast and on to “real world” food? I don’t see the value in switching to a different meal delivery system, vegetarian or not, as it has the same problem of not being sustainable in the long term.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:57 PM   #4  
it's always something

Diet to Go offers a vegetarian plan. Everything is good except for some of their "soy" products (and I'm not talking tofu) but they let you substitute We wrote a review at http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet..._We_tried_it!/ maybe it will help

There is another service based out of Florida that offers nationwide delivery and has a lot of vegetarian offerings, though they are kind of expensive. Their menu sounds heavenly
http://www.healthychefcreations.com
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:57 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I tried Medifast for a while and I liked the convenience but I had a yearning to go to what I knew was better, which was a whole foods diet. I recently started a vegan whole foods diet and I have to say I am in love with it. I lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks, I feel a lot better and I'm eating lots of food and filling full.

I agree with Shan, are you really committed to a meal delivery system?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #6  

Thank you for the information on the diet delivery programs with veggie options. I'll check out that blog.

I have been a vegetarian for over 30 years, and I was even a pure animal rights vegan for three years. So thank you for your advice. I know that a whole foods diet is superior, but it is not what I am looking for right now. Right now I need a serious crutch for a serious problem! I know what I am talking about for me when I say -- yes, for personal reasons, I know I want a diet delivery system at this time! First medifast and then some other delivery service where everything is done for me.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:30 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettingslenderin View Post
I know what I am talking about for me when I say -- yes, for personal reasons, I know I want a diet delivery system at this time! First medifast and then some other delivery service where everything is done for me.
If you cant get a diet delivery that meets your needs, and you aren't concerned with whole foods or healthy only foods, perhaps a Luna Bar/Shake and Lean Cuisine diet would work as well? You could find a local personal shopper to do this for you. OR you could find a local chef to do it all for you too! What part of the world are ya in?
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:58 PM   #8  

Suzanne, the Healthy Chef organic vegetarian diet delivery service is exactly what I am looking for, it's perfect -- except for the price!! that's more than I spend for our entire family of four.

I'll check the Diets to go, next. Your review is so well written, too.

I read the Nutrisystem vegetarian food blog, and gag -- how hideous that food looks. Ugh.

Last edited by lettingslenderin; 10-31-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 PM   #9  

Good suggestions, Soulbliss, but for the short run, until I get this issue under control, I want someone else weighing and meauring and delivering my food. It's very hard to explain to people who don't have a problem with compulsive eating, but I want that decision made for me for a while.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:17 PM   #10  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettingslenderin View Post
I read the Nutrisystem vegetarian food blog, and gag -- how hideous that food looks. Ugh.
We reviewed Nutrisystem here. Gag, that was the worst week of my life! I was a rare meat eater before NS, but they tipped me over the line to vegetarianism. Even their meatless dishes were yucky. My cheese pizza had mold on it!

Diet to Go was really good, except for those soy dishes. TVP? I'm not sure, but whatever it was, it wasn't pleasant. However, everything else they prepared was excellent, tasty, and filling.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:20 PM   #11  
it's always something

Oh speaking of frozen dinners, like SoulBliss suggested, I have found some very, very good quality vegetarian frozen dinners! Seeds of Change makes them now. They are hard to find, but if you can get them then you'll probably love them. I wouldn't touch a Lean Cuisine these days (yuck) but love Seeds of Change

http://www.seedsofchangefoods.com/ou...frozen_entrees
Old 10-31-2007, 10:23 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh I think we understand you with the compulsive eater, I'm definitely a compulsive (binge) eater.

Didn't ediets used to have a meal plan based on commercial frozen entrees? I don't know if that would be an option either.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #13  

Yes, even organic vegetarian whole foods, when eaten to excess, can cause people to get fat. I'm living proof. So - for now I am totally into portion control, and that means someone else doing the portions!