Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:01 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Vegan ~ Ulcer?

OK gals ~ My brother has given up all meat for over two months now. He has lost 29 pounds. He has a pain in his side so he went to our doctor (the greatest doctor ever!) Doc told him that it could be from such a sudden change in his diet. He was a huge meat eater and a lot of fast food...I mean a lot! All that is gone, he is vegetarian now...closing in on vegan.

Wondering if any of you have had something similar? He is on medication for it, but that is why he went veggie, to get rid of medications.

Also, he will be here for a BBQ on Monday....suggestions appreciated for something for him other than the burgers/chicken that we will probably have. He does eat the veggie burgers...anything else?

Thanks, Gary
Old 08-31-2007, 12:27 AM   #2  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I have no idea about the pain in the side thing. Did the doc say it was an ulcer?
As for the suggestions, wow, there are so many good vegetarian options, but you say this is a bbq...hmm...what about grilling those giant portabellos for him to be served as burgers? Your fave Rachael has a great recipe!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 AM   #3  
it's always something

No.. that sounds strange! Maybe he's getting a lot more fiber now? When I'm vegan (I dabble, I'm not committed) , I average 70 grams of fiber, easy. Is everything "moving" ok? That's the only thing I can imagine might cause pain.

My son was over last week and we grilled portabello mushrooms, eggplant, and squash, then made sandwiches with them using a hearty whole grain bread spread with goat cheese, fresh basil, and roasted red bell peppers. We LOVE grilled veggies!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #4  

Do you know where the pain is exactly? Was it diagnosed as an ulcer? I had something similar for months that kept getting worse. My doc thought it was my gallbladder and was ready to remove it, but a HIDA scan showed my gallbladder was fine. He put me on meds for IBS, and the pain was gone in a week. IBS can be irritated by diet changes and certain foods.

As for the BBQ, portobello burgers are great on the grill!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #5  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Gary - p.s.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search
Old 08-31-2007, 10:08 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
I have no idea about the pain in the side thing. Did the doc say it was an ulcer?

He said he thought it might be, he gave my brother medication and said if it didn't work they would do more research.

As for the suggestions, wow, there are so many good vegetarian options, but you say this is a bbq...hmm...what about grilling those giant portabellos for him to be served as burgers? Your fave Rachael has a great recipe!
You know me too well SPINY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
No.. that sounds strange! Maybe he's getting a lot more fiber now? When I'm vegan (I dabble, I'm not committed) , I average 70 grams of fiber, easy. Is everything "moving" ok? That's the only thing I can imagine might cause pain.

My son was over last week and we grilled portabello mushrooms, eggplant, and squash, then made sandwiches with them using a hearty whole grain bread spread with goat cheese, fresh basil, and roasted red bell peppers. We LOVE grilled veggies!
Sounds like a great idea SUZANNE, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoGeek View Post
Do you know where the pain is exactly? Was it diagnosed as an ulcer? I had something similar for months that kept getting worse. My doc thought it was my gallbladder and was ready to remove it, but a HIDA scan showed my gallbladder was fine. He put me on meds for IBS, and the pain was gone in a week. IBS can be irritated by diet changes and certain foods.

ECO ~ when my brother shows me where it hurts it seems to be in the rib cage area, lower left side of his stomach.

As for the BBQ, portobello burgers are great on the grill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
SPINY You are the best!! Thanks!!
Old 09-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Talked to my brother at work today...to clarify...He said the doctor said the medicine he takes for inflammation may be the cause of the ulcer...because of his diet change he has different things going on in his body. He told him that his diet now was fine, they just need to adjust the medications he takes.

Thanks for all your help gals!
Old 09-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #8  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Healthy vegan diets have been shown to reduce inflammation.

http://www.bastyrcenter.org/content/view/358/
Old 09-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #9  

Hey if you live by a Costco, they have a new product I haven't tried yet but will my next bbq -- it's a box of marinaded veggies (eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, onions) that are cut for grilling. You can make your own of course but how EASY!

My dad is a vegan and comes over for bbqs almost every weekend. He loves if we have a spicy Thai inspired coleslaw (made with oil and vinegar not mayo, with green chilis, cilantro and peanuts), veggie burgers, and some kind of bean dish (3 bean salad in the hot weather, or vegetarian style bbq beans in the fall.)
Old 09-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #10  

My dad was a classic steak-and-martini executive for most of his life....a few years after he gave up drinking he became inspired to become a vegetarian at age 68 and was vegan by 70. Most of his health problems are history - he was diagnosed with type II diabetes before making these lifestyle changes, but now although he monitors his blood sugar, it seems to be in remission, no meds no nothing!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Awesome for your dad K8-TEE! I am down the coast from you in Oceanside, we live by many Costco's, I will check it out! Your ideas will certainly fill the BBQ menu up nicely!

SOUL BLISS ~ Thanks for the link!

Thanks ~ Gary
Old 09-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5-10

With the exception of some tuna & salmon, I've been pretty much vegan for years. Glad to hear the doc is keeping up with your brother. Like others, a lot of the nagging health problems eased up for me after I dumped dairy & stopped meat. The grilled veggies are a wonderful idea, don't forget to bbq some potatoes for him as well. I like to have the grilled/bbq flavor without putting it on the meat that we serve up for everyone else.

Just serve enough fresh sides & he won't suffer at all. Have a great Labor Day!

Marylynn
Old 09-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I just wanted to put out a definition of the term "vegan" for those who may visit and not know--it is a person who consumes no animal products and also avoids the use of them in their daily life (leather, fur, gelatin, honey, flesh, animal secretions and household products etc.). It is more than just a "diet"-- it is a compassionate, non-violent lifestyle based on reducing all animal suffering and increasing animal welfare.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/147/?135?

Height: 5ft4 (163 cm)

Maybe a little late to add but there will be more bbq's around i guess.. You could make veggie kebabs, just any kind of veggie that fits on a stick! If you really want to do 'haute quisine' you could use a sprig (sp?) of rosemary as a stick, that would go very well with mushroom and onions. For a dessert: Pineapple is very good from the grill, served with icecream or just a little sweetend nonfat sour cream as a diet-option (not a vegan option but maybe someone else knows a good soybased alternative) Good Luck!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thank you gals! We are grilling veggies for him and we bought some veggie dogs and some veggie burgers for him. My ex-wife is bringing 3 different fruit and veggie salads also.

SOULBLISS ~ Thanks for the clarification on vegan, I don't mean to make "light" of it in my posts on my brother, and I also know that YOU know that. For my brother, when he says to eat "vegan" he means eliminating the dairy and animal products that he can, to improve his health as in the link you posted for me. It is not a "spiritual journey" as you are taking and I mean no harm, I just don't really know how to phrase some of it I guess. And again, I know you understand and know that I care for your concerns.

P.S. How was the "plane" and retreat?

Gary
Closed Thread