UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #1  

Default Raves from the Grave

I recently obtained a copy of a book on make up and skin care that I had when I was at school. The boots lady came in to chat to us girls and gave each of us a copy of YOur Beauty Plan by Max Factor.

It was quite a good little book though of course most if not all of the make up has long gone now. Anyone remember the California rnage? I had an awful pale beige lipstick -I only got it to buy something from the range! I did love the comb on mascara - in purple! Even though it was so perfumed my eyes used to water. I do remember helping myself to Mum's perfumes (Max factor Hypnotique and Primitif), I did use some of the Swedish Formula skin care and loved the Cafe Frost and Nouveau beige eye shadows.

Anyone else remember these?
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Nope but i remember wearing pale pink lippy and thinking I looked cool!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #3  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I remember some of those - Swedish Formula and comb on mascara and (very vaguely) the California range. I think my comb on mascara was Max Factor (in a blue container) - it was very easy to use. I used to love purple mascara because it made my eyes look very blue. Can you get it nowadays??

I used to try to get the Twiggy doe-eyed look - very pale cream lippy and HUGE over-madeup eyes with individually applied false lashes? With loads of Max Factor pancake face makeup. Awful! No wonder I'm allergic to most makeup nowadays!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twiggy.jpg (6.8 KB, 10 views)
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #4  

NO you cannot get max Faxtor comb on but I think some companies do a comb one. You can cetainly get purple mascara but not all companies do this and it is usually a more - shall we say - subtle colour -more of a plum I think I know YSL does one I cannot remember who else but I will come back tot he topic with some answers.

I remember being fond of a Rimmel lippy that was a pale bluish pink - the one colour in the world I should probably not have worn!! Yeucch!

I think I was too young for pancake (by that I mean it was around but things had moved on. I used Mum's Revlon - something Glow foundation - nicely orange and who knew you have to smooth it in to avoid tidemarks!! I evenutally bought my own from that range which has a bit of shimmer so I was an orange shiney face! Those were the times when I wish Mum had said something... I don't remember getting any odd looks (apart from my own!!) but those were the days when women put Miners Shiner (silver pearly cream) on their cheekbones (well - actually they used it under their eyes to show up their eye bags cos no one knew where their cheek bones were!!!! Made em look baggy eyed and sweaty, but we knew no different!
Old 10-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

I don't remember those products but I remember pink shimmer by rimmel which I loved and black tulip oh dear god, and also I think it was called iron maiden or dutchess from Miss Selfridge.

My first perfume I think was Smitty or Charlie.

Oh god its all coming back my friends and I also went through a bit of a pink stage opulent pink and opulent purple. My friend would be doused in Opium and I think at that stage could only afford Impulse.

It was around this time maybe a couple of years later that I first tried fake tan. I tried this disgusting stuff from No. 7 calling stocking cream that made you look as if you were wearing american tan tights. Then progressed to Coty sun shimmer oh I could go on and on.

I shall stop here before you slump in front of your keyboard.

Michele
micheleherts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #6  
Consistency + Balance

I didn't do the orange face thing - I left that up to my Mum. The pancake stuff I used was in a stick and it covered ANYTHING - it had to be applied with a damp sponge and then finished with a thick coat of powder. In hot weather it used to melt and/or trickle down my face in rivulets. They used to recommend that you use one in the same colour as your neck - so I spent a few years wandering around in the palest pancake they made looking like I'd just died.

Do you remember when everyone first discovered cheekbones. Rimmel brough out a face shaper set - pale silvery white 'highlighter' (I think thats the stuff you mentioned above) with a sort of brown colour 'shaper' (just made my face look grubby) for down the side/bottom of the nose and under the cheekbones and then blusher for the cheekbones - and you were supposed to sweep some up the temples in to the hairline. How bizarre we must have looked!

Oh - in the middle of my ghost white look I did try out instant tan. I read an article that Clodagh Rogers (remember her?) used it so I got some and laid it on really, really, REALLY thick. Yup - I went bright orange.

Then, a few years later, they bought out some tablets you could take to get a 'natural' looking tan. So like an idiot I bought them and started taking them without doing any research first. I went bright orange with yellow eyes.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #7  

Never used foundation of any description - just couldn't get the hang of it. Spent a fortune on other make-up though... I remember this glittery Miner's eye shadow, very glam rock... And at one point in the 70s, these glittery shape things you could stick on your face... (what was that all about?) I have long eyelashes (trust me to have the most useless nice feature, there is!) and whenever I wore mascara people would ask me why I was wearing fake eyelashes - so I gave up on it. I remember buying my first kohl, when it first came out (Rimmel kajal - anyone else have that?) I can remember using Anne French cleansing milk (it had a weird smell) but once I was broke and bought Co-op's own brand, this sickly strawberry stuff - and my eyes swelled up like a frog's! (Sorry co-op).

My mum used to wear Rimmel Postbox Red (or was it called Red Rose?) lipstick.

Totally forgot Smitty til you mentioned it! That brings back memories! I used to like 'Charlie', too! I once counted when I was about 15, and I had over 20 different perfumes! My favourite was a tiny tub of this waxy looking stuff, smelt of Clover. I remember it came from Boots.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/252.5/164

Height: 5'2"

I remember the rimmel blusher trio with the highlighter - how to have 2 entirely different cheeks. I used to wear electric blue mascara at one time too, not a good look.

My mum used to have these cream perfumes that were based on grasses and there was also a musk one, I used to love those.
katie_oxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

Oh dear god I remember those blue eyelashes. Mine was called Bahama Blue
it was a No. 7 mascara.
micheleherts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:54 AM   #10  
Consistency + Balance

PP - I don't think I really got to grips with foundation either - I just used to plonk it on and hope for the best. Yes, I remember Rimmel kajal - don't they still sell that? Blummin stuff used to really make my eyes water when I tried to put it on the inside of the lower eyelid.

I used to wear Charlie as well until someone told me that it smelled like paint stripper on me. Took me years to find a perfume that I could wear without it smelling horrible.

Now we've all slagged it off no doubt blue mascara will be the IN thing this year - although I read somewhere that 'the catwalk' influenced look for this season is back to very big, smudgy looking eyes - the dark greens, purples and charcoals of the 80s.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Ive had my hair in all sorts of weird colours
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 174/148/138

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalijack View Post
Ive had my hair in all sorts of weird colours

mmm me too, I had waist length Cyclamen hair for years, occasionally I'd change it but not very often as it involved copius quantaties of Born Blonde and Crazy Colour. I also used of lot of Leichner (sp) theatrical makeup, with the odd bit of Miners thrown in/on. I've never worn makeup since!!!
Moo :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #13  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

I used to wear Rimmel black tulip lippy, loved it, it was my colour al through my teens, a friend of mine bought me it a few years back as she found it again and sent it to me... I tried it, it was bloody awful...can't believe I thought it was the only colour for me back then. I have a nice one now though, it's a pale pink (and what is wrong with that I ask as it's been mentioned in this thread before and now I think I've got another colour wrong), but you only have to apply one coat and it stays all day and you just add a gloss to it as you like....I'm very happy with it.... but can someone please tell me if pale pinks not in right now....
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:43 AM   #14  

oo - how well I remember the Clairol born blonde and crazy colour routine! I remember a 'lavender rinse' old lady saying "Look at her hair!" to a friend. OK it was rocket red, but at least I was a red head. Hers was deep lilac!!!

Katie - I remember those grass perfumes - 'solid earth' by Coty I think they were - I never bought them but often tried them on in Boots - along with the Max Factor green apple perfume.

BritNJ - I think we were meaning the frosted chalky pinks that were around then. Mind you - if you like acolour - to **** with fashion and anyone else! I don't think gloss is in at the moment (well not like it was) but it is more a stain for lips than loads of lipstick. I shall carry on as befoe . I love Autumn and winter beauty shades- deep plums etc.

I think people are more savy now- make up wise. I see less mistakes around than I used to. I often used to see circular rouge - like Dutch dolls cheeks on women. Thank goodness not many people are still doing that dark liner pale lipstick look - gross!

Talking of fake tan/dark bronzer etc I bought a lovely golden shimmery Mary Qyuant pressed powder. I imagine a little went far. However I sed it as normal face powder. I was on a trip to Blackpool and kept powdering my shiny face (forgetting the powder had sparkle in it). When I got home in the early hours - I looked jaundiced. I don't believe that was the look I was after.

Phat- I remember Anne french (still made). You had to remember it was very runny or it would drip down your arm when you upended it onto cotton wool. I really liked it because it made my face feel fresh - if I splashed it with water after cleaning and I swear it worked well on the oily bits of my face but kept the rest soft too. From time to time I still buy it. I liked the smell - in fact although they did a gentler one (sensitive? no smell) I preferred the original.

I miss Mary Quant make up. In England I think she only sells it in her boutique now. I saved hard for the lipstick Chic Cherry!, Bloody Mary! and used to love the little round pots of nail varnish and had a few of the blushers too as well as the golden shimmery powder. Oh and jungle green mascara!
Old 10-30-2006, 05:28 AM   #15  

I had that Green Apple perfume - a glass thing shaped like an apple! And Californian Poppy perfume - ew! I didn't even like it at the time...

As for hair dos... I only had a perm once. It was when 'Grease' was out at the cinemas. I regretted it the second I saw it - just wanted to cry. But too late - was stuck with it. I HATED it! I'd used all my wages for a couple of weeks, too which was worse, I came out of the salon and these workmen shouted across at me 'Ooh look it's Sandy from Grease!' (I think they meant at the end of the film when she was slaggified with horrible hair...) I was mortified.

About a week later I started the lower 6th form, back home (I'd been doing a holiday job down South) and everyone loved my hair. Especially the lads - I pulled loads that hadn't even looked at me before. But still, I hated the hair with a passion. I used to look at girls with straight hair with such envy can still remember it! I hoped it would grow out as my hair grows very fast and friends who'd had perms told me theirs had sort of gone flat after a while. No such luck. Turned out I had the sort of hair that holds onto perms forever! Months later I still had it... Never ever had one again. It was odd because absolutely everyone else loved it. I lived in hats for 6 mths.

2 years later had grown it all out and grown it long. My brother was getting married - right in the middle of my A levels and I was bridesmaid. On the big day, my soon to be sister-in-law and I went to her hairdresser - a little back street place in a country town, probably used to only doing grannies. Without even asking me, they hacked my lovely long hair off and did this prissy page boy hair cut whch people had last had 5 years before that. The second hair do from ****!

In later life, I either had it very long or in a bob - but even when broke I;ve never gone to rubbish hairdressers, only go to the best. Scarred for life by the bad regional 'stylist' in that small country town that was 5 years behind the times... and the perm from ****. Stopped pulling when it grew out, too but I didn't care.

My proudest fashion moment was in the early 80s when I got on a bus, and a punk in full regalia, sat behind me, turned to her friend and said *Jesus, did you see what she was wearing? You do't wear fishnet tights with those boots....* I'm very proud that my fashion sense outraged someone with a mohican and in black bondage gear...
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote