UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Default South Beach Diet & green tea

OK, after a lot of research into different plans and after talking it over with my dr, I have decided to do SB. I have been looking at the main SB section on 3fc, but a lot of the foods arent familiar to me, - I know a zucchini is a courgette, but thats about it lol. So has anyone here done this?
Im waiting for the book and talking to the dietician next week, but wanted to have an idea of what to get in my weekly shop on Saturday.
Am I right in thinking that beans are allowed in phase 1? If so, are baked beans ok? I know that they were allowed a few years ago when I was doing Slimming World.
Also, would drinking green tea help with weight loss? I got some the other day, but must admit Im finding it hard to swallow.
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #2  

Green tea will count towards your water component, and give you some good antioxidants (helpful for your immune system), but it won't do anything magic with your weight loss. Sorry!

On SBD I'm a bit lost. I am good with translations from US to English though, being from Oz I have had similar problems moving here!

I don't think baked beans would be allowed due to the salt/sugar content, but I could be wrong!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #3  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

I thinnk when they say beans, they mean the green variety, as on south beach phase one, you don't appear to have any carbs and like Ky said, there's sugar in baked beans.

I know a few people who did SB for a while to sort of get them started, and they said the first few days were hard, but from then on it was easy and they felt great.

As for the green tea, are you talking hot or cold? I like cold green tea, it did take a bit of getting used to at first, but it's very gratifying for your thirst and it is so good for you. Hope this helps.
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #4  
Addicted to potato salad!

Actually, I was watching Fox News this week and the doctor on there said that there are studies that show that Green Tea can help with metabolism...not really so much to make a great difference in dieting/weight loss...but the anti oxidants are really, really great for your total well-being in my book. I drink Green Tea both cold and hot (depending on what time of year and whether or not I need to cool off or warm up ).

BUT, I think on South Beach, you are supposed to steer clear of caffiene. I may have it mixed up with Atkins (I've tried both and failed), but they say caffiene helps to stimulate your appetite, which is counter productive to healthy eating. So, I get decaf Green Tea.

As for the baked beans. If you are making them from scratch, they may be okay as you can control what you're putting in it, but from a can....look at the ingredients and it probably has all kinds of no-no's like molasses, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, etc. But other beans, like black, kidney, pinto, navy, etc are great...especially if you get the dried version and soak them over night. Lots of good nutrients and protien which will help you maintain an "I'm full" feeling longer. I make black bean soup and split pea soup if you are interested in the recipe.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:59 AM   #5  

I did South Beach and gained a stone. Mind you, I have PCOS, so some diets are never going to work for me. Stuck to it strictly. It scared the pants off me - I felt my weight gain was spiralling out of my control. I started it nearer 13 stone and ended it (about 3-4 weeks later) nearer to 14! Took me a whole year after that to even try to lose weight again. Could just be my insulin issues. But I must admit my alarm bells rang when I saw the stuff about no fruit at all in Phase 1, if you miss it, his suggestion was - eat no sugar jelly. Ew! Not exactly healthy.

I lost the weight in the end with a weird hybrid of Rosemary Conley/Paul McKenna, and taking up running and yoga. I must admit I've never been on a 'diet' and actually got fatter til that one.

He's a cardiologist, and I was born with a heart defect so I thought it would be a 'safe' diet for me. It's actually a watered down Atkins that claims to have more wholefoods, less lard.

I don't want to alarm you - I'm fairly sure it was my PCOS that kyboshed that diet. I posted this in case anyone else with PCOS reads your thread. On papaer, low carbing (even modified, more 'sensible' low carbing) looks sensible for folk with insulin issues. It don't work like that! Healthy eating without restricting any food group but maybe fat, worked for me! Just be a bit wary of any diet that restricts one whole food group - even if it works, when it's finished you have to eat like that for life, or the lbs pile back on.

Green tea? If you don't like the flavour, try substituting one teabag out of every three, when you make a pot. The black tea covers the taste. Alternatively, Holland & Barrat do green tea capsules - I used them for the past year. Green tea can make you wired, so avoid it in the evenings!
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatPhoenix View Post
I-
Green tea? If you don't like the flavour, try substituting one teabag out of every three, when you make a pot. The black tea covers the taste. Alternatively, Holland & Barrat do green tea capsules - I used them for the past year. Green tea can make you wired, so avoid it in the evenings!
LOL, no wonder I couldnt sleep last night!
Old 09-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife View Post
-But other beans, like black, kidney, pinto, navy, etc are great...especially if you get the dried version and soak them over night. Lots of good nutrients and protien which will help you maintain an "I'm full" feeling longer. I make black bean soup and split pea soup if you are interested in the recipe.
Yes please
Old 09-29-2006, 07:13 AM   #8  

Im not sure about the no fruit thing myself, I know Im going to find that very difficult, so I might give that a miss
Old 09-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #9  
LOSE LOSE LOSE

S/C/G: 323/---/290

Height: 5"5

All i know about green tea is that its good for your fertility and your metabolism (like detoxing affect) so its proberly good stuff all round id say.

Teresa
treezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #10  
it's always something

The only published study on green tea wasn't encouraging. If you drink 4 cups per day, every day, you can lose up to 8 pounds in a year. There's nothing to say that drinking more will increase that amount, it could cap off at about 8 pounds. No one knows the result if you drink less than 4 cups, either. Green tea is loaded with antioxidants, though, so it's good for us. White tea has even more.

I'm curious about something. Do you have South Beach Diet products over there? They have branded (through Kraft Foods) a whole line of frozen dinners, snack bars, and cereal here. It seems so gimmicky, and many of the products seem out of line with what Agatson originally had in mind when he created the diet for his cardiac patients because they contain so many artificial additives. From my understanding, his focus was on natural, whole foods. I'm just curious if it has crossed the ocean, particularly since I recall that natural and organic foods were more popular there.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post

I'm curious about something. Do you have South Beach Diet products over there? They have branded (through Kraft Foods) a whole line of frozen dinners, snack bars, and cereal here. It seems so gimmicky, and many of the products seem out of line with what Agatson originally had in mind when he created the diet for his cardiac patients because they contain so many artificial additives. From my understanding, his focus was on natural, whole foods. I'm just curious if it has crossed the ocean, particularly since I recall that natural and organic foods were more popular there.
I havent seen any, although I havent looked tbh. Im going for the natural approach myself, getting lots of fresh veggies, fish and chicken. There's some really good greengrocers near where I live, and they also sell stuff like lentils, chickpeas etc. All within 5 minutes walk too

I received the SB book this morning, also got some stuff from Xenical including a tape measure lol.
Ive been reading it and I'm definately skipping phase 1, there's no way I can give up fruit. I can give up all the other carbs, no problem but not fruit.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #12  

I've only heard of South Beach on the net and maybe one or two celeb type mags. I've seen nothing in the shops but again I haven't been looking.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:08 AM   #13  

It was published over here some time back, maybe a couple of years - maybe it's sinking on the coat-tails of Atkins, as low carbing generally seems out of favour? I have seem the diet book and the cook book in my local book clearance shop - not a good sign! However, last week I saw 3 different copies of Carol Vorderman's detox in a charity shop window - a sure sign of a diet failing!
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #14  
Addicted to potato salad!

Just a shameless plug for MY way of eating. I did Atkins for two months and got nothing but constipated. I tried South Beach and didn't get constipated, but didn't lose anything, either. I tried Sugar Busters and lost 25 pounds in a few months! It's a very easy plan to stick to, making it successful for me. Some people claim its just like South Beach Phase 2, but Sugar Busters is all about cutting added sugar and controlling your glycemic index. Worked for me!

My two cents (pence?)
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 AM   #15  

Yes, having green tea does help with the weight loss. I think the main reason is that having green tea makes you feel full which in turn reduces your craving for food considerably. From what I know, green tea is good for your health as well!
poojanaik379 is offline   Reply With Quote