UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default Gym or not?

MY mate has been trying to get me to join a gym over the past couple of months. The main way she tries to tempt me is 'think of all the fitties that will be there'. Thing is I dont know if I need a gym.

I run for an hour a day and do weights in my home. I also muscle tone with a few exercises that I have found on the internet. In addition I will aslo ride my bike and try some boxing.

Do I or should I join the gym?
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #2  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Why not go along and have a look see - try it out for yourself. You might like it (on the other hand, you might not!) You need to go more than once and at different times of the day to find out when you would like it the most.

Personally I only go to the gym to do lower body workouts because my weights at home don't go high enough and I combine it with a swim. If it weren't for the swimming I probably wouldn't bother.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I'd definitely try it if you can get a trial or guest pass. To be honest, although exercise is, IMO, essential, doing it at a gym isn't. I've had moments where I've seriously considered cancelling my gym membership over the past few months, because I do other stuff and never seem to get round to going there. I do like having the gym as back up though, particularly in winter when running on the treadmill can have more appeal than going outside in the wind, rain and snow. On the other hand, when the weather's nice I'd far rather be doing something outside than shutting myself in a room with sweaty people!

And if you join, do it because you think it will add something to your fitness regime (either variety or motivation) not because of who else goes
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #4  

Give it a visit. I know I could exercise at home if I really wanted to, but I need the motivation and variety a gym gives me. I do like a bit of distraction as well..... a couple of nice boys in tank tops lifting weights on a Friday night passes the time!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #5  
Paint The World P!nk

S/C/G: 323.5/262/140

Height: 5'9"

I like the gym. Although I have yet to see the benefits, I like it.
Homersmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #6  
laura

S/C/G: Currently 16 stone (fat)

Height: 5'4 (short)

Every ones gonna kick my butt now. Gym is a swear word to me now. Ive wasted tons of money thru not goin, when I did it made me ravenous the whole day. I now own a lateral thigh trainer with arm toner thingys on it. I walk my new puppy, Im using baked bean tins to tone my underarms and if I see a difference Im gonna buy dumbells from argos, I do those lil step things that nikki does on bb7, she does half an hour I do 4 minutes lol, I do a breast muscle excersice my old trainer showed me and I just bought a tae bo dvd. Thats my personal, why not pop along as a guest as see how u feel u mite love it. xxx
fat-faery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #7  
laura

Homersmummy,
Im sorry to see you've lost ur lil man. My heart bleeds for you. Eight years is a long time to be buddys and love that buddy with all your worth.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 08-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #8  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-faery View Post
when I did it made me ravenous the whole day.
That's the best bit for me, knowing that I've worked up a hunger and that when I eat after a workout I've already done the hard bit, to work the calories up. Those calories are earned, and the food afterwards is well deserved!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #9  
Paint The World P!nk

Quote:
Homersmummy,
Im sorry to see you've lost ur lil man. My heart bleeds for you. Eight years is a long time to be buddys and love that buddy with all your worth.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aww, bless ya. Miss him oodles.

The gym I go I don't pay any membership. I paid £5 for my induction, after which I used the gym. Then I pay £3.50 each time I go, or I can pay £25 a month for unlimited use, but if I then find I am not using the gym much I can go back to the £3.50 a visit. This I like. Plus you get your car park money refunded if you go more than once in the week, which is excellent.

So I know I can afford it because I am only paying for the times I go.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #10  
laura

Homersmummy,

Not so sure on the whole Walliams lust thing you got going on girl lol. xxx
Old 08-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #11  
laura

Talking

[QUOTE:- when I did it made me ravenous the whole day.

Im the female version of Homer J Simpson. Me and hungry just dont get along Im afarid. If I dont give my tummy something when it talks to me, OMG it shouts, and it shouts real loud, then people look at me. So I like to keep my tummy happy.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #12  
Paint The World P!nk

Quote:
Homersmummy,

Not so sure on the whole Walliams lust thing you got going on girl lol. xxx
Not guilty occifer. I've not mentioned him for months I tell ye!

But yeah... I like the gym I do.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:53 AM   #13  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

loopy - I've only just joined the gym, and that's because I was finding it hard to fit in my weights at home, since I was out all evening. With the gym I can go at lunch and do my weights then, then the couple of nights that I AM free after work I can pop down and do a couple of classes or some air conned running.

I would try it out though, but if you feel like you're getting enough exercise already and it would cost you lots, then personally I wouldn't join. But DO go and have a look, they might have amazing equipment there that you love!!!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote