UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default But I thought you were on a diet...?

Ok so the word is out at work that I'm "dieting" *shudder* for my wedding dress!

Cue the FOOD ****S

There is another guy at work who is "dieting" and he eats ryvitas for lunch, and rice cakes and all sorts of stupid things, like spagetti from tins and "diet" foods that really are all just processed junk! He was talking about rice cakes yesterday afternoon and I said it was like eating a ceiling tile. He said, "Yes that's exactly what it's like." But a ceiling tile that crashes your blood sugar and is completely devoid of any nutritional value whatsoever! Oh and you know what else he eats... Those marshmallow things that are between 2 ice cream wafers. Cos they're low calorie. Now I admit that I've eaten those before, when I was a diet ninny! I would still have them now if I thought they tasted any good and had any nutrients in them!

Anyway, I have chocolate Hob Nobs in my drawer, there's only a few left now and I'm quite proud that they've lasted over a week! It shows that I'm progressing in my head. Before, when I was a diet ninny, I'd just have avoided them plain and simple, or before I was a diet ninny and just a plain slob, I wouldda eaten the whole tube for breakfast! So when I told Mr Diet yesterday that I was having a (low calorie) hot chocolate with a chocolate Hob Nob he says, "I thought you were supposed to be watching what you eat, for your wedding dress?" I replied, "I am. I'm watching those Hob Nobs very carefully!"

A lot of the guys at work were drooling over my tuna stir fry yesterday lunch, today they're all, "Oooh wotcha got today??" and "Why do you put an egg in your porridge?" The egg in porridge is causing a lot of consternation in my workplace (these guys clearly haven't been introduced to anything more exotic than sausage and chips... with mayonnaise! ) I told the guy who asked today, that the egg provided protein, otherwise the porridge is just all carbs... That shut him up. He's a bit of an action man himself, but isn't seriously into his nutrition, he just eats what he wants when he wants, he's totally in tune with his body's wants and needs. One of the older guys in the workshop is very disturbed by my eggy porridge, I can't decide whether to tell him it's some ancient ritual or whether I should take the time to explain that the protein in the egg will keep me full and my metabolism soaring. He's diabetic and could probably benefit from some nutritional gems!

I don't suppose there's a lot of point to this post, but I'm sure you guys can all relate to my food ****s! Got any more stories you want to share?

Last edited by 2frustrated; 04-26-2006 at 05:58 AM.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:52 AM   #2  
Determined

"diet ninny" I love that!!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:00 AM   #3  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

When you're a fat girl, EVERYONE watches what you eat EVERY DAY! I eventually got to a point where I don't give a toss about it....

Frus, I like the way you handled yourself!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:21 AM   #4  
South Beach Life Style

It is like we live our live in a special category because we are overweight, but deed we step into a whole new world of critics once we decide to be healthy and eat right, now our category is fat health eaters, for a bit till we lose the weight then everyone wants to know exactly what we are doing, and wants to try it, deed if I told peeps I ate dog crap and drank V8 juice, everyone would try it I swear,, small minds talk about other people, but great minds take care of them selves and are adaptable.....and talk about How to make our lives better.!
MsCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #5  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated
"I thought you were supposed to be watching what you eat, for your wedding dress?" I replied, "I am. I'm watching those Hob Nobs very carefully!"
Now THAT is an excellent response! I've written it down and will repeat it to DH every time he says something similar.

Yup! Even the Tesco delivery man makes diet-ist comments - he works out and I asked his advice over something - so now he thinks its okay to be the food police. He actually ticked me off for ordering lamb fillets to put in a curry - told me I ought to be eating chicken. Well - err - yes - but not 7 days a week!

I've also got diet police neighbours - we were sitting in our garden the other day having a lovely (large) glass of wine when all of a sudden I heard this voice say 'Tut Tut you shouldn't be drinking that - you'll undo all your hard work' - so I laughed and poured myself another one. I wouldn't have had the second one had he not said what he did. It only occurred to me afterwards that he would have had to be standing on a chair or something to see me because the fence is 6 feet high!
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

OMG - spying food policing neighbours

Maybe I'm just getting used to the office politics around food! In my last office we'd all eat chips (fries) at 11pm!!! And before that I wasn't really aware of other people watching what I was eating, but it seems there's a sudden interest when you "out" yourself as "dieting". Before I just ate "lots" (6 meals a day) but now I eat lots and am "dieting"
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:05 AM   #7  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I try and avoid mentioning the D word - I've failed so many times that I prefer to get on with it quietly in case I crash and burn again. Its DH whose outed me to the entire neighbourhood. He's telling anyone who'll listen about my diet/exercise!!

I also keep a bit quiet about it because I'm getting off with people who ask me what I'm 'doing' (like its some sort of spell I'm casting on myself) and then, when I start to explain its a change in nutrition plus exercise, their eyes glaze over and the next comment to come out of their mouths is ALWAYS 'Oh, I haven't got the time for that kind of thing'. What do they expect - fairy dust???????
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #8  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I hate the food police! And the food groupies who eat something because I do, but don't do enough exercise to burn it off aren't too much better either. I particularly hate the people who really make a big thing of it when I eat chocolate, I'm quite aware of how much chocolate I can incorporate into my diet and don't need their permission before I do it!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #9  

Yeah totally agree with that. one of my mates the other day was saying that I eat so much more than her and am thinner and its not fair, and I was thinking love its taken me three years to get my diet sorted.

You don't eat all day which is unhealthy then drink loads and pile weight on that way and do no exercise, and then binge eat in the evenings with stuff like chips and kebabs. I walk 5 miles at least a day and have 3 sensible meals most days and the odd bar of chocolate which I earn because I've burnt off those cals through exercise.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Diet police is right, family can be the worse. My sister said "why are you eating that cheese". I just said , "because it is on my program". I wanted to say "because I want it" . lol
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #11  

Oh the food police. The lady on my team who had been with us not five minutes, saw my food diary and said "should you be eating honey" **** indeed.

Or the lady at our cafeteria (who is fatter than me) and said "that cake is not allowed on your diet" And me who grins and says "who told you I was on a diet???"

Or my dear Colin who sees me eating cottage cheese and says "are you sure that's low GI???" dearie me.

Rules, how I hate them, I have enough of my own without copping them from other people.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217.8 / 172 / 140

oooh my ex's sister - who i work with - she feels like she's our "work mommy" (she's ONLY 6 years older than me and only 4 years older than my best friend who also is in our group)...and just today she was joking about being our "work mommy" (btw, she's a mother of 4)...
and she was telling someone how she's ALWAYS on our cases about making sure we eat at every break.

i've told her OVER and OVER that i don't NEED to eat every single break...and plus, she KNOWS about my "food addiction" and my food issues (we had a huge talk about this considering her brother, my ex - is a an ex-drug addict - so she SHOULD understand...)

but that's her biggest thing, "you need to eat" - not neccisarily WHAT i'm eating - but she NEEDS to SEE us eating at both breaks.

so i guess, i actually have the opposite problem - instead of "can you eat that?" she's always - "why aren't you eating???" that's her FAVORITE line. i hate it.

but she's getting better. of course, i've also started to bring an apple or a piece of fruit during my first break so she won't say anything.
Ultimategurrl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:14 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

I try not to say a whole lot about it at all.... but if needed I always make it clear that I am NOT dieting; just eating right. There are always going to be diet police but I just let it roll right on off my back... after all I am losing weight, my blood pressure is going down, my complexion is starting to glow... my doctor thinks my plan is great... who cares what others think LOL
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:08 AM   #14  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Self declared food police, I think, have been one of the reasons Ive failed when on a diets many occasions previously, to even just think that they might be thinking, erm, she should be ating that, look at the size of her, so much for her diet, which is the reason I tried to keep it a secret, but my family would be the worst, making 'fat faces' at me if I gave into a craving, which just made me binge more.
Sarah Ann, your right, People ask, I explain that if you really want it you can make if fit into ur daily plan, and using fitday and here etc, but thats when the extra effort is involved and people just think its OTT.
My Nan who I see every Wednesday, was surprized that I was losing weight(as she noticed) I asked my mum why she was so surprized and my mum said its because she sees you eat a belgium bun every wednesday and I guess presumed I eat that way the rest of the week :-/

I also do the diet police thing to my bf, hes still eating fried foods

Last edited by angeleyezx; 04-27-2006 at 02:22 AM.
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:54 PM   #15  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Oh good Lord girlies... I think I am the diet police!

I have a friend who has joined curves and now meets me every morning to work out before work, and the other lunch time we had to run out to Walmart (we had eaten our healthy lunch before we went) and when we were getting ready to pay, she said she was still hungry and started picking up crap off the shelves to buy. I made no bones about it, and told her to put it back and choose something healthy, which she did....but now I feel bad, cos I was the DIET ****!!!

Forgive me please...
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote