UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #1  

Cool Run advice

Ok most of you know I am just starting to train for a 10k in June, on June 11. I'm seriously considering doing the Great Manchester Run on May 21. Should I do it, is it too close to the other one, or is a dress rehearsal a good thing??? The course looks good, not too steep, and I know most of it quite well.

Opinions please!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I'd do it

But you might want to consider getting an opinion from someone sane rather than relying on what I'd do, bearing in mind I've definitely decided to run a half marathon the weekend before June 11th

It really depends whether you want to treat one as "the big one" to aim for - if you want to run well on the 11th will it affect your enjoyment if it's not your first 10k? Or do you want to get your first one out of the way without the "pressure" of me and Frus running too?

Physically I'd say that there's plenty of time to recover, but you need to think about whether it will help you mentally to prepare for the 11th.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:14 AM   #3  

I thought I wasn't worried about London, until I woke up a couple of nights ago really stressed about it. I think running somewhere familiar in a much bigger race might settle me down. I think too that I will be so excited about being in London for the first time, that it won't bother me overly much that it's not my first 10k.

I think the answer is, just do it!!! It will definitely help me prepare, and give me a bit more confidence heading into London. And if I can't make it, I can pop into work, which is on the route, and have a cup of coffee and a lie down
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:32 AM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Go Kylie!!! It should be great if you have more people you know cheering you round. You'll finish it no problem.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:32 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Yeah do it! I'm doing a 5K Race for Life in Battersea around that time. You'll do it no probs
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote