3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   UK Fat Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks-75/)
-   -   U.K. vs. U.S. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks/44209-u-k-vs-u-s.html)

Lynnbirds 07-29-2004 04:51 PM

U.K. vs. U.S.

I'm curious, I am planning on moving to London for at least a year after graduation. I visited there this past March and noticed how (at least in London) the average person is considerablly thinner than a typical American. Is there even more of a stigma attached to carrying extra weight in the UK? I plan on losing a few pounds before I hop the pond, but I am worried about not being accepted. Am I making sense to anyone?

Tina1uk 07-29-2004 06:57 PM

Hi There, I read your message with interest. I am from Ohio and have lived in Bristol for 18 years. A teacher once told me that living outside your country (be it America or any where else) gives you a better understanding of who you are and where you came from, an insight that you would never have gained otherwise. How true those words were. If you have the chance to come & stay in the UK for a while then do it.
I think that it is safe to say that there are some differences between the two countries which have helped to keep the British in better shape, little cultural things. You will find that more people walk from place to place over here. If you are young (under 20) the cost of running a car is probably out of your reach due to car taxes, insurance. Cars must be maintained at a certain level or you can not take them on the road. Diet also has a part to play in your interpretation. All U Can Eat Buffets are far & few between (though becoming slightly more popular). I have lived here for 18 years and still there is no Taco Bell. As a rule, portions served in restaurants are not the same that you find in America. The one comment that I have heard people say about their first trip to the States is the amount of food you get.
You don’t say how much you weigh but it doesn’t really matter does it? I don’t think there is any more or less of a stigma concerning weight over here than you would find back in America. We have Weight Watchers and Slim fast supplements like you do. I understand your concern of not fitting in. A stranger living in a new country can seem a bit scary but I’m sure that you will be fine. My tip of the day is to always remain open minded.

veggie 07-29-2004 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynnbirds
I'm curious, I am planning on moving to London for at least a year after graduation. I visited there this past March and noticed how (at least in London) the average person is considerablly thinner than a typical American. Is there even more of a stigma attached to carrying extra weight in the UK? I plan on losing a few pounds before I hop the pond, but I am worried about not being accepted. Am I making sense to anyone?

I don't know as I have only lived here...

I am sure you will be accepted though. We are not that bad. :cool: :lol:

Any other questions feel free to say. :D

cat90 07-29-2004 09:45 PM

Aaaaah course you'll be accepted :grouphug: they are lovely people them Brits ;) well, most of them :lol: me included ;)

Vasquoy 07-30-2004 04:11 AM

Of course the other consideration is the weather.... we probably spend 3,000 calories a day shivering against the rain and snow.... and that's just the summer....

cat90 07-31-2004 03:52 PM

:lol: Oh yeh, there is that! :rofl: don't forget your thermals :lol3:

linus 07-31-2004 05:33 PM

hey and dont forget we have to walk as the buses are so bloody unreliable but hey were not bad what you will find is the clothes are more expensive if you are 18+ but we are also a bit more reserved so if we do think anyone is overweight we wouldnt dream of saying so unless your family or a VERY good freind but youll have a ball
kirsty

Superwitch 08-01-2004 05:13 AM

Maybe London is not the best place to judge us on as I am pretty sure that people are thinner there - lol. Perhaps something to do with a lot of them needing to fit into posh business suits, food being more expensive and not as many people owning cars.

Mind you I have to confess that I have heard things about Americans being bigger than brits but then when you see shows like "Friends" and all the skinny people it changes your ind - lol. Perhaps your New York is Our London - lol.

Lynnbirds 08-01-2004 11:56 AM

LOL! Yeah, the women are friends are definitely an exception to the rule when it comes to the typical U.S. woman. I am thinking that perhaps London is going to on average have a lot skinnier of people--I know that in the U.S. big cities people are always thinner. I think for some reason people who live in big cities are a lot more appearance concious. Who knows though! Thank you all for your responses...It was an odd question, I know, but I just wanted to get a feel for it might be next year! I can't wait to get over there!! =)

veggie 08-01-2004 07:36 PM

Come to my town ;) we not very thin at all. :p

Lynnbirds 08-02-2004 09:30 AM

LOL! Out of curiousity, what town are you from?

veggie 08-02-2004 11:39 AM

Not one you'd of ever heard of ;)

cat90 08-03-2004 08:08 AM

Don't know what you're worried about anyway :dunno: judging from your stats 5' 10.5 and 165.5lbs you'll look thin to most of 'em anyway :rofl:

peahen 08-05-2004 10:34 AM

I agree with Superwitch. Anyway it depends where you go in London - it is quite big (not to Americans of course!). I always feel quite slimmish when I stay at my friends in Lewisham as there are a lot of large people there. Funnily enough it is the poorer areas - I guess it is the crap food. Likewise what people say about french women being chic etc - yes well, maybe in Paris but I have seen some right uglies when I passed through France and with no better style than the most poorly dressed Brit. Made me feel good, I can tell you!