UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:17 AM   #1  

Default Can’t get motivated

i Started my weight loss journey a year ago and since then have lost 40 kg in December I had lossed 45 however I gained 10 and am now losing it again

I keep going in this cycle where I lose 2 or 3 kg and then gain it again I can’t seem to stay on track as much as I want to

I wake up in the morning and say to myself today willl be a good day but by the evening I’ve ruined it

If anyone could give me some advice on how to not let myself slip I would be extremely grateful
FriendlyBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 159/132.4/125

Height: 5 foot 4 and 1/2 (164cm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyBanana View Post
i Started my weight loss journey a year ago and since then have lost 40 kg in December I had lossed 45 however I gained 10 and am now losing it again

I keep going in this cycle where I lose 2 or 3 kg and then gain it again I can’t seem to stay on track as much as I want to

I wake up in the morning and say to myself today willl be a good day but by the evening I’ve ruined it

If anyone could give me some advice on how to not let myself slip I would be extremely grateful
Hi Friendlybanana, someone who's yo-yoed before I can understand where you are coming from. The way I see it, I told myself when starting my weight loss journey that it is a lifestyle change and not a diet. I eat things I like, I like desserts so I find healthy alternatives and I see that if the alternative is available I tend to choose it. And I try to stay active as much as I can (I enjoy yoga and running myself). So I would suggest to find what you like and it'll be easier to stick to it. It will also give you a little leg room if you let yourself go a little one day. Finally, remember it's a marathon and not a race. So if you fall of the bandwagon, it doesn't matter, tell yourself you needed that day and start fresh the next day. But it does have to be commitment, a promise you are making to yourself (stay healthy-make positive changes). I hope that helps and don't worry I'm sure you'll succeed you already lost so much. if anything that shows you are a strong person. Good luck!
MelodicWarrior29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #3  

Thank you so much, I think that’s half my problem I set myself unrealistic goals ie a stone in a month I spend 2 weeks starving myself only lose a few lbs get really disappointed and then end up eating loads and gaining weight again I think I need to work on maintainable changes like you said
Old 02-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #4  
mjf

If you're starving yourself then you're doing it wrong. You don't need to be hungry to lose weight. What you eat is more important than how much you eat, so focus on eating healthy foods and avoid junk food. Healthy foods tend to be more filling, so you'll be less likely to overeat.

If it's hard to resist eating junk food then don't buy it. If you have junk food in your home, I'd suggest throwing it out.

1 stone (14 lbs) per month is too much. Aim for about 2 lbs per week.

Last edited by mjf; 02-24-2018 at 04:41 PM.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #5  

Friendlybanana,
I would love to loose my 40lbs in as short a time as possible but let's face it, its not realisitic and its not sensible.
As mentioned by mjf, 2lbs a week is both attainable and safe. Setting unrealistic goals often leads to disappointment.Safe and steady is better as its easier to maintain in the long-run.
I weighed myself this morning (I only started my diet this day last week) and I lost 2.2lbs in the last week.It's not a huge amount but its an amount i can maintain for the next few months and I can't say that i was starving at any point during the week.
You couldn't cram for a final year exams in a couple of weeks and expect to gain a first class honour.Give yourself and your body the time it needs and go easier on yourself.Be patient with yourself.I know myself that can be the hardest part.I want instant results!! But that's just not attainable.
Slow and steady.
potato77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #6  

Yeah you’re defiently right, I went and done a shop yesterday and didn’t buy any junk food, and starting today I’ve had 4 healthy meals which I’m really pleased about, thank you so much for all your advice!
Old 02-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 159/132.4/125

Height: 5 foot 4 and 1/2 (164cm)

Glad to hear it! Slowly but surely it will become natural changes in your life and it will be become.simply habit.
MelodicWarrior29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #8  

Default Maybe compare your photos old and new

You've already made significant gains in your weight loss goals. I mean 40kg is a lot. I haven't even achieved a third of what you've done. Personally, I think it would be great if you look again on your very first photos just before you lose 40 kilos, place that and put in side by side with your current photo. You should be inspired that you've seen some change already
RedLips10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/130/130

Height: 5'3"

I've had the same yo yo problem all my life. MelodicWarrior has great advice. It's truly about finding something that will work for you long term.

Once I realized that then staying committed is much easier.
Old Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 68kg/56.5kg/50kg

Height: 162cm

I've had (have ?) the same problem.. what I find works in the long run is keeping a food diary. Everytime I think I have things under control and stop keeping track of what I eat I put on weight again and ruine my "diet" stupidly.. So I've gone back to using my food diary app (Yazio), and I think I just need to stick to it to not go off track..
rosielucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:54 AM   #11  

Find a partner!l remember that when l was in a diet, l always tend to give up !But,luckily my meal pal is a girl who takes care of her diet and focus on taking care of her image.So everytime l want to give up ,she will stop me .Or sometimes l have to eat as healthy as her! Now l am slim and keep a good diet! Thanks to my meal pal!
CorwinBradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #12  

Stay stress-free and watch some interesting success story based movie or read a good novel.
zoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 AM   #13  

I'm finding it hard to stay motivated, but just push through it! I hope everyone finds their motivation!
traceyphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #14  

practise sport
johnson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: kg: 100/100/100

Height: 6 ft

I can be motivated when I look at my pictures 10 years ago. I changed my food style, even move in cycles in winter (the whole year). And I learn out of my own mistakes from the last decade. I know what I ate there^^

And i know the summer will be hotter. It's easier for you when you dressed in hot pants and long top :-)
Nico_Ahrens is offline   Reply With Quote