3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   UK Fat Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks-75/)
-   -   Shiny New Chick needing advice (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks/315063-shiny-new-chick-needing-advice.html)

VeryBerry1 02-10-2018 07:42 AM

Shiny New Chick needing advice

Hello to all, I’m new to the site (though really not new to dieting) and just wondered if anybody has experience of WeightLoss whilst immobile?

I’ve had extensive double knee surgery in the last few weeks and am worried about adding stress to my recovery by putting on weight (my BMI is in the ‘Obese’ range with body fat calculated at 33% - I’d rather not make it worse.

I’ve started eating only clean food (nothing processed) counting calories using an app and drinking only water & coffee, and have lost 8lbs this week by generally eating my day’s calories (around 1400) within a 4 hour window and only drinking (or sleeping) the rest of the time, but am aware that weight loss will be generally water at such a loss/early stage.

For my height and weight, I have been advised that eating above 1560 calories will result in weight gain whilst I’m completely inactive, so 1400 isn’t too much of a daily deficit...

Does anybody have any tips for ways to encourage body fat loss instead of muscle mass which does not involve strength training at a gym?

My legs are ridiculously weak after only a few weeks off my feet, but I really don’t want them to atrophy anymore than they already have. It’s funny that writing about atrophied thigh muscles makes me think they must look really small and weak, but looking at them stretched out in front of me now...they are literally just sorta smooshy, chunky and feeling kinda useless.

I’m not particularly following a plan as such, although I seem to have fallen into an Intermittent Fasting type pattern without really intending to (I’m hungry around 10am and not hungry past 2pm, which is a bit weird because I used to get hypoglycaemic if I was ever a teeny bit late eating throughout the day, and my blood sugar has remained steady from eating during a short(er) window of time.

I’m not even particularly trying to lose weight whilst I’m off my feet, really I just don’t want to put anymore on before I can even attempt to hobble it off on crutches (approximately another 6 weeks from now).

Has anybody got exercise tips for an immobile person?
Has anybody got experience of calorie counting when completely inactive?
Any food recommended to encourage body fat to burn over muscle mass?

Hugs to all and good luck on your personal journeys x

effysunshine 02-10-2018 10:38 AM

How about looking at the different types of foods you are eating and seeing where you can change around a little bit? I noticed that although my diet is okay and could a bit better, i am not drinking enough water even when I am at home. In relation to exercising how about googling some home exercises you can try for immobile/disabled people.

VeryBerry1 02-10-2018 12:09 PM

Aww, “Hello” and thanks for replying. For the last week I’ve been living on lentils, a bit of barley, boiled eggs and blueberries with some chia and oat cracker things and apples. Nothing processed, dairy or meat which is where the 8lb loss has come from I guess.

I used to fill up on bread quite a bit (bye bye fresh Tiger loaf) so I’m sure cutting bread out this week has helped too.

I have definitely increased my water intake & realised how it totally sucked before...

Hmmm, I have tried to find exercises online but there’s not so much to go on, I guess it’s more individualised rather than standardised?

It’s just hard to find a balance between eating nutritionally dense food for healing whilst also sticking to the right calories. I never realised just how easy it is to go over.

I wish I could do a bigger calorie deficit each day (in my head I wish-in Reality I make no promises hahaha) but I’m worried that going below 1200 might screw up my metabolism or affect the rate of healing.

I definitely suggest intermittent fasting to help with inflammation though, my post op consultation the other day included 2 separate nurses commenting on how quickly the actual incisions have healed, they look as if they are months old apparently.

mjf 02-13-2018 12:17 AM

I think it'll be almost impossible to avoid losing muscle, but you can slow down the muscle loss with a good diet. Make sure you get enough protein. You can get protein from foods like eggs, fish, or chicken.

To avoid gaining fat, avoid sweets. Make sure you eat enough vegetables. Get enough healthy fats (from foods like olive oil, avocado, nuts, and salmon). If you eat grains, eat whole grains (e.g. quinoa, brown rice).

Are you able to move your legs at all? Even a little movement is better than nothing in terms of avoiding muscle loss. Maybe you can ask your doctor which leg exercises (if any) are safe. Can you do upper body exercises? Maybe you can do something like overhead press but without weight.

VeryBerry1 02-13-2018 05:26 AM

Thanks for reading MJF - you’ve given me some fab advice and you are totally right about protein, I’m blatantly not eating enough at the moment. The Mister has bought me a stretchy cord with handles (not the technical term) so we’re going to look at upper body exercises with that. No, I’m totally immobile at the mo as I need to keep weight off bones whilst they fuse together, I got on my feet the other day and the pain and swelling was horrendous/my surgeon told me off and extended the non weight bearing period by another month as I’m at risk of undoing all his hard work. I’m down 8lbs this week, but it looks like a general loss and not just my legs, so hopefully this clean eating & water is helping.

I don’t eat meat or dairy, but can definitely have boiled eggs - thanks again xx

mjf 02-13-2018 09:22 PM

Lentils and chia seeds (which you mentioned earlier) are both high in protein, and barley has some protein too, so you might be getting enough protein. If you're looking for more vegetarian protein, some other good sources are beans, some whole grains (e.g. quinoa, amaranth), and nuts. I think it's more likely that you're not getting enough fat. Assuming you eat 2 eggs and 1 tbsp chia seeds per day, that's only 12g fat, which isn't enough for a day.

I just noticed that you didn't mention vegetables in your post, so if you're not already eating vegetables, that's probably the most important change to make.

VeryBerry1 02-14-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjf (Post 5349337)
Lentils and chia seeds (which you mentioned earlier) are both high in protein, and barley has some protein too, so you might be getting enough protein. If you're looking for more vegetarian protein, some other good sources are beans, some whole grains (e.g. quinoa, amaranth), and nuts. I think it's more likely that you're not getting enough fat. Assuming you eat 2 eggs and 1 tbsp chia seeds per day, that's only 12g fat, which isn't enough for a day.

I just noticed that you didn't mention vegetables in your post, so if you're not already eating vegetables, that's probably the most important change to make.

I’m a vegetarian so love my veggies - but am definitely not getting enough protein. I’ve lost all my appetite from intermittent fasting and barely hit 800 calories today (I forced fruit & veg down to hit 1050).

I think that all my weight gain over the years has come from increasingly losing mobility and not adapting my eating, so I basically moved much less and so ate more than I needed.

Now that I have a better idea about caloric intake, I’ll hopefully get things back under control....

harshkumar 02-16-2018 11:15 AM

good idea

good work boy keep it up!!!

harshkumar 02-16-2018 11:16 AM

good

Good work

josephn 06-25-2018 01:03 PM

nice

duypham 12-05-2022 11:04 AM

great

AlexGreg 05-01-2023 06:12 PM

Tanks

pompom123456 09-16-2023 09:21 PM

Do you know a better way to lose weight? THANKS.

munirashraf982 09-18-2023 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryBerry1 (Post 5348896)
Hello to all, I’m new to the site (though really not new to dieting) and just wondered if anybody has experience of WeightLoss whilst immobile?

I’ve had extensive double knee surgery in the last few weeks and am worried about adding stress to my recovery by putting on weight (my BMI is in the ‘Obese’ range with body fat calculated at 33% - I’d rather not make it worse.

I’ve started eating only clean food (nothing processed) counting calories using an app and drinking only water & coffee, and have lost 8lbs this week by generally eating my day’s calories (around 1400) within a 4 hour window and only drinking (or sleeping) the rest of the time, but am aware that weight loss will be generally water at such a loss/early stage.

For my height and weight, I have been advised that eating above 1560 calories will result in weight gain whilst I’m completely inactive, so 1400 isn’t too much of a daily deficit...

Does anybody have any tips for ways to encourage body fat loss instead of muscle mass which does not involve strength training at a gym?

My legs are ridiculously weak after only a few weeks off my feet, but I really don’t want them to atrophy anymore than they already have. It’s funny that writing about atrophied thigh muscles makes me think they must look really small and weak, but looking at them stretched out in front of me now...they are literally just sorta smooshy, chunky and feeling kinda useless.

I’m not particularly following a plan as such, although I seem to have fallen into an Intermittent Fasting type pattern without really intending to (I’m hungry around 10am and not hungry past 2pm, which is a bit weird because I used to get hypoglycaemic if I was ever a teeny bit late eating throughout the day, and my blood sugar has remained steady from eating during a short(er) window of time.

I’m not even particularly trying to lose weight whilst I’m off my feet, really I just don’t want to put anymore on before I can even attempt to hobble it off on crutches (approximately another 6 weeks from now).

Has anybody got exercise tips for an immobile person?
Has anybody got experience of calorie counting when completely inactive?
Any food recommended to encourage body fat to burn over muscle mass?

Hugs to all and good luck on your personal journeys x

Physical Therapy: Work closely with a physical therapist who can guide you through gentle exercises and stretches to maintain muscle strength and flexibility without putting stress on your knees.
Chair Exercises: Seated leg lifts, seated marches, and seated side leg lifts can help engage your leg muscles without bearing weight on your knees.
Upper Body Work: Since your legs are immobile, you can focus on upper body exercises like seated arm curls and shoulder presses to maintain muscle mass in your upper body.
Protein Intake: Ensure you're getting enough protein in your diet. Protein is essential for muscle maintenance and repair. Consider lean protein sources like chicken, fish, tofu, and legumes.
Adequate Nutrition: Your calorie intake seems reasonable, but make sure you're getting all the necessary nutrients. Consider consulting with a dietitian for a personalized nutrition plan.
Hydration: Staying hydrated is crucial for overall health and can help with weight management.