UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/189/145

Height: 5'4

Default Bridesmaid anxiety!

I've been asked to be a bridesmaid at my brother-in-law's wedding next year and although i'm very honored that they have asked me the thought of it at this moment of time completely terrifies me! I already suffer from anxiety and take fluoxetine to help with this, but this is really causing me major panic.

I understand that the day is not about me and nobody will probably be even looking at me but I find the idea of starting in front of a large group of people is terrifying. My husband and I only had 30 people are our wedding! Also, the other women they have asked are all very slim and so the idea of wearing the same dress as them makes me so nervous. If it's strapless or sleeveless I know i'll feel uncomfortable.

I realise I have a year to try and lose weight before the event but I am still so nervous, any advice is much appreciated!
sophiebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

You have an entire year to get down to your goal weight! Lucky you! At least they aren't having a quickie wedding! The bottom line is, the wedding can be a great motivator to getting to a healthier place. Even if you only lose a few pounds, but start exercising and eating healthier foods - you'll be in a better place. Weddings and other formal events are intimidating when you are feeling self conscious about weight - I've been there. At least you have forewarning and a goal to work towards! You can totally do this!
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 281/214/200

Hi SophieBean! I too have joined due to attending a wedding next year, I'm not a bridesmaid but it is my younger sisters wedding and I am terrified at the thought of being the overweight older sad single sister so I just wanted to say don't panic, we both have such a long time to lose the weight at a sensible speed. I think once we get going and start to see results it will drive us to do even better and we will turn up looking fab on the day!
Sallyamelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:59 AM   #4  
Day 1 - 23.07.16

S/C/G: 222/220/140

Height: 5 ft 5

Sophie, I've been asked to be bridesmaid next year too! The bride, my friend, is a gorgeous petite size 8 and her other two maids are a size 8 - this fills me with dread! I'm a size 16 and feel awful about myself!
But... my focus is now set and I have a year to sort myself out! I've started on a meal replacement plan for a 28 days and then will switch to healthy/calorie controlled, I just need the shakes for the quick result so I have more chance of sticking to it!
Really hope you can start to feel better about being bridesmaid
GracieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #5  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

I have 2 of my best friends weddings next year in June and November which luckily I am not a bridesmaid as it is the Grooms I have been originally friends with. However my sister is getting married in Italy in April 2018 where I am Maid of Honour :O I have actually made the weddings my goals. By June I will be 238lbs! By November I will Be 210lbs!! then by the time my sisters wedding comes around I will be 182lbs!! It is something I am completely determined to do, simply because I want to enjoy myself and look good in the photos
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #6  
Day 1 - 23.07.16

S/C/G: 222/220/140

Height: 5 ft 5

Scotsgal - It's good you have broken your goals down, I think I need to do this as looking at the big picture seems to be a lot of pressure on me right now!
GracieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #7  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

Just take each step at a time, In January i promised that i would loose 1lb a week, but during the last 7 weeks of my studies i maintained. I haven't yet caught up on them, but it was small goals. when you set yourself something at the beginning that you will never be able to achieve, then you will be setting yourself up to fail anyway.

Arrange to have your hair and nails done for the wedding and you will feel great anyway, just plan to go and have fun, not about what you will look like compared to others.
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

Talk to the bride, tell her your worries, i'm sure she will be happy to help and reassure you, explain your worried about the dress, i'm am taking into account how all my bridesmaids feel the dresses. Ask her to lose weight with you even if she doesn't need too. My MOH and i are doing SW together. I'm sure she will want you to be as comfortable as possible at her wedding and she wants you to be a part of it so she should do everything in her power to make it easier for you.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote