I'm always starting 'tomorrow'

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm constantly 'trying' to lose weight/ eat healthily but never succeeding. One of my problems is getting it in my head that the one biscuit/ workout is going to make a difference longterm. I always eat and think that i'll start properly tomorrow. I haven't much to lose but constantly feel this is a battle which I'm never going to win.
  • exactly !
    That's what i Always do to i just signed up today for this group seeking motivation. iv tried every diet and wasted lots of money on diet pills snd shakes that sit around the house either un opened or just a couple of doses taken. So i guess i just gotta suck it up nn do it the old fashion way of smaller portions no fried food lots of water and good ild fashioned walking lol or at least that's what I'm trying this go around. WE CAN DO IT ...hopefully lol
  • It takes 2 weeks to start a habit and one to break it. For years I was in your position where, I thought, I'd shed half my weight if I went for a long walk or didn't eat that chocolate cake. To keep my motivation, I set a long-term goal that was beyond numbers on a scale and so far this year I've lost heaps of weight (see my sig for exact numbers).

My advice, think about that reason which made you want to lose weight in the first place. Write it down on post-its and place them around the house, make it your computer wallpaper, put it as an alarm on your phone, write it down every day, guilt yourself with it when you are making excuses to get out of exercising..... Whatever it takes, especially if it means that much to you. (Guilt, reminders on my phone from MyDietPal (I think that's what it was called) and inspiring quote wallpapers got me started!)

I hope this wasn't too over-the-top or intense for you! I'm recovering from a long, tiring run and my bright-side is slowly returning as I recover lol
  • I did that too, for the longest time (literally years). I kept telling myself that this was the last burger, and tomorrow I would totally give up junk food and start exercising. Of course, it never happened.

What finally worked was starting slow. I began by trying to cut down portions (eat half or 3/4 what I normally would) and eating slowly (worked like a charm... I felt full halfway through). Slowly I cut down on sodas and junk food as well. Today, barely a month after I started, I don't have sodas anymore (apart from the occasional sip), I barely eat out, and I have half the food I normally used to. I've already lost 6 lbs in the past 20 days or so, and it's seeing the small changes that keep me motivated. I also started out by walking 30 minutes a day, not even a really fast pace, but mentally it made me feel like I was doing something, and I didn't want to waste my exercise by eating something unhealthy.

In a nutshell, my suggestion would be to start small, and don't deprive yourself.

Good luck
  • I know what you mean, I used to feel exactly like that. I only needed to lose 10kgs but it seemed impossible. I'd lose 5 then gain it back. I just didn't want to give up sugary foods and I thought that by cutting back or cutting down on them it would make a difference. It didn't, I just kept setting myself up for a binge. I can't say what exactly motivated me to change this time. Perhaps it was realising how hard it was becoming to start again in the first place. So, I cut out all junk food. I cut out sugary foods completely for the first two weeks, including diet desserts, knowing they spiralled me into a binge. I started exercising as well. Just using the exercise bike for three minutes then swapping to skipping for three, then back on the bike at a harder speed. I did this for about 25 mins while listening to music, 5 times a week, alternating with walking on the days I didn't feel energetic. Two months later, with the help of Weight Watchers I've gone under what I lost the last time and am three kilos off what I want to be. The first step is always the hardest, but seeing results is so worth it! You can do it!
  • From replies to this and to another post i put up, I'm beginning to think that I need to get rid of my all or nothing mentality and start slowly. I haven't got too many bad habits and generally eat OK but obviously not good enough, or else i wouldnt be over weight. I'm thinking of bringing in one new target a week and rewarding myself with a coin if I meet it each day. I will then buy a new charm for my bracelet when I have enough money.

I think I will use Eating Less by Gillian Riley to help with my targets as well. This week will be think before I eat anything- do I want to eat because I'm hungry or for another reason. I rarely eat out, so when I do, I'm going to allow myself to ignore this.
  • To tell you honestly, the only way I could do it is by planning my meals. If I just say "eat healthy" it gives me zero guidelines for what I will eat. If I sit and write down foods next to

Breakfast:
    Snack:
    Lunch:
    Snack:
    Dinner:
    Snack:
    TOTAL:

then I can make sure that it all adds up to the right amount (of calories, points, exchanges, etc).

I also pre-cook many of my meals and separate them into portions to freeze. Then I can just pull out whatever meal from the freezer that is on my plan.
  • I've been doing a little bit better but now its morning and I have a slice of cake in front of me. Always want to go jogging but damn near unmotivated. Looking out at the weather, I'm just enjoying staying indoors as much as possible.
  • Quote: To tell you honestly, the only way I could do it is by planning my meals. If I just say "eat healthy" it gives me zero guidelines for what I will eat. If I sit and write down foods next to

Breakfast:
    Snack:
    Lunch:
    Snack:
    Dinner:
    Snack:
    TOTAL:

then I can make sure that it all adds up to the right amount (of calories, points, exchanges, etc).
    I also pre-cook many of my meals and separate them into portions to freeze. Then I can just pull out whatever meal from the freezer that is on my plan.
    ^^^
    This!!! And I also record my weight every day, good or bad. Some people can not handle the daily weigh-ins; I would totally lose it if I did not do it.

There are some great challenges here at 3 FC. I love "lose 2% of your bodyweight" challenge....for me it is a tad bit over 3 pounds; small steps. It also helps to see that barely noone is dropping pound after pound day after day. We all struggle.

Good luck, and remember it is only one meal at a time. You don't have to wait till tomorrow when you can start with your next meal
  • OH YES!! Tomorrow......

Actually, isn't TODAY the tomorrow I promised yesterday??

Not making light of anything, but it's true. I said Yesterday I was going to stop this nonsense. Well here it is...and I've just eaten half a plate of brownies. I'm full, and ashamed. Full of brownies and shame.......

Somehow I KNOW being full of energy and feeling proud of my accomplishments would be better.......but, but, but. Ugh
  • Tomorrow never comes. It's never tomorrow. It's always just the present moment, the immediate space we're in. We can't ever actually touch the past, and we can't ever actually be in the future. Right now is literally the only moment we have complete control over. To make progress - of any kind - we have to choose the right choices in the present moment.
  • Have you read "the power of now" that sounds like the philosophy from that book. That is a very powerful book.
  • I'm in the same boat as you! It's been over half a year since I last logged on because I tell myself this every day. And I start the day thinking I'll control myself, but before an hour is even up, I've already given up. One of the users above seems to have sound advice, where maybe it's best to start off little by little. I'm definitely one of those people who do the all-or-nothing. Maybe we can go through this battle together!
  • It is very hard but there will be something that makes it click. Everyone needs to find their own way to start their weight loss journey. But the main thing to remember is a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. The important thing is to start, when your ready. Even if it's just small changes, like take a walk after dinner or counting your calories. I use myfitnesspal to count my calories. It's a free app for your phone and really helps me monitor what I'm eating. Best of luck with your journey.
  • Quote: ^^^
    This!!! And I also record my weight every day, good or bad. Some people can not handle the daily weigh-ins; I would totally lose it if I did not do it.

There are some great challenges here at 3 FC. I love "lose 2% of your bodyweight" challenge....for me it is a tad bit over 3 pounds; small steps. It also helps to see that barely noone is dropping pound after pound day after day. We all struggle.

Good luck, and remember it is only one meal at a time. You don't have to wait till tomorrow when you can start with your next meal

What both of these ladies say. It's all about holding yourself accountable. Try not to only look at the big picture, celebrate small accomplishments along the way... 5 lbs, 10 lbs, certain %, sizes, etc.

Plateaus do occur, that just gives you an excuse to change it up.