UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat90 View Post
Hi Ladies Elliemar you make me giggle "being the eccentric nutter in the village where I live"
Do you know the poem "Warning" by Jenny Joseph? Well, I'm in training!!

To save you all looking it up, here it is:

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #17  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 151/142/130

Height: 5ft 9

Hey thanks for adding me . I put my weight in as of yesterday. How do I add measurements? Do I just start a new column?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 168/168/140

Height: 5.6"

ABOUT ME

A little about me:

Most Recent NSV: Following the Couch to 5k and lost 5lb in the last fortnight just my making a food diary allowing me to make conscious food choices

Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: 140 or there abouts... 126 is my overall goal weight but I would be extremely happy to get to 140!

Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Continuing to exercise, this is the first time I have ever actually exercise properly and I am enjoying it, I'm also making conscious food choices and not eating because it there, I was at a point when each time I sat down to watch something or go online, I needed a fizzy drink or a sugary snack... sometimes even a meal.

Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: I have a 5 year old boy and I have two younger sisters one 18 and one 12, so it is tempting to join in with them when they are having treats, but I am learning to hold back and alsio have grapes in the fridge so I can reach for them if I get too tempted
Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedButterfly View Post
Hey thanks for adding me . I put my weight in as of yesterday. How do I add measurements? Do I just start a new column?
PB - look at the bottom of the page and you'll see a tab headed Measurements - click on it and you'll find another page where you can add these. HTH
Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #20  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Have added my starting weight to the spreadsheet.

Most Recent NSV: Just finished a month of Bikram yoga (not going every day, but 4 times a week) - but discovered I'd GAINED 10 lbs... but lost another 6 this weekend...so not quite sure what's going on. I certainly feel fitter, slimmer and I know I've put on muscle. Abs are ROCK HARD! Of course you can't see them under the fat!! So I put down 231 as my starting weight - as that's what I weighed this morning. Should have put down my 237 on Friday!!! I'd already be a good portion into my 20 lb goal!!

Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: 210 - We'll see if make that. My other goal is to finish the Couch to 5k programme during this period, so I'll be reporting my progress on that as well every week.

Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Twin track! I have a dream of playing 1 season of women's rugby...hopefully this autumn. So I'm not actually trying to be too light. But I am trying to be much, much fitter. I'd like to be at 200 pounds or just below by start of rugby season, strong and fit and able to run as a I need to. I will continue with Bikram (this improves core muscles, grip and flexibility thus reducing chance of injury), will continue with C25K, and will add some resistance training. I will also be working the Paul McKenna programme much more closely. I am NOT going to diet as I get absolutely crazy and I want to get in control of my food. I will continue to cook healthier meals.

Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: Hmmm...just life in general. Comfort eating. I've been fighting depression and am in an (emotionally) abusive marriage and am unemployed.

Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself:
Hmm, I'm American and I have a 4 yr old son.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #21  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Hi all! Great to read your intros, and to see more participants for the challenge

I think the spreadsheet is all up to date now, but if not either go ahead and add/change stuff yourself, or post again in here and I'll have a go at sorting it. Thanks to whoever made the title sticky, I tried to workout how, but just couldn't do it! Could we also have the column with our names in it sticky too?! And if you could post and tell me how it's done for future reference I'd be grateful!

OK, so how's everyone's week going? I'm determined to be seriously on plan, one for the start of this challenge I'd love to record a good loss, and two, it's under 3 weeks to a good friends wedding, and looking good and more importantly feeling good was one of my big mini goals when I got back on track in January, so this is the final three week push to get as far as I can by then

Did c25k week 4 day one in the rain this morning, not fun! I really need to work on my stamina, I feel I could do forever on the flat now, but as soon as I throw a hill into the balance, I feel like I can't breath and my chest is on fire.... not fun! Realised the app I've got only goes up to week 4 too, so need to look for another one to use from next week.

Right, now for a day of uni work, with a coffee break meeting a friend in town later this afternoon.

I'll be back later to properly read and respond to all of your intros, but for now really should crack on!

Today's Challenge - be more active than usual. It doesn't have to be a big thing; stairs instead of lift, 10 mins of exercise in front of the TV later, walk round the block, sit ups before bed, stand instead of sit for some of the day..... it doesn't matter what you do, but do something extra and then come and tell us about it

Have a great Tuesday all, think slim thoughts, think slim thoughts......

Last edited by takingcontrol; 04-03-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #22  

AlmostMe - re your issues with your home situation. It certainly isn't an easy one, especially as you also have a child. I got out of just such a relationship a year ago and can only say I'm a million times happier now. I just wanted to say keep your chin up because things CAN get better.

Am planning an extra walk today to up the exercise. have also been drinking at least 2 litres of water a day - very hard for me and I feel like a bloated barrage balloon! Ugh. This had better do me some good next wi!

Good luck all
Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 350/292/140

Height: 5f 7

Hi chicks,

Elliemar-never heard that poem before Sure all the water you are drinking is doing you great and you will see results on the wii I am still glugging it down too-when i remember.

Danielle-i snack when watching tv- have you tried frozen grapes, i love them

Almost me I have suffered from depression too.

TC-sure you will look fab for your friends wedding Hope uni went ok, and you enjoyed your coffee.

I have a sore throat downing hotwater and lemon with a spoonful of honey.

Not walked very far today was at MIL for lunch, but choose the healthiest thing she offered me, so had a chicken wholemeal roll, with salad and turned down, crisps and cake chicken stir fry for tea and got a mint and dark choc muller light to try- i love choc chip ice cream, will see if it will be a healthy substitute!

been trying to eat my 5 portions of fruit and veg this week, doing well on 5 so far and will have an apple after my yog.

Have a good eve chicks

xxx
Old 04-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #24  

Hi all, finally had the chance to go back and catch up on all of your intro posts

How foul is this weather? So glad today is only an extra run day, no way would I have got out in the snow this morning!

Another boring day for me, uni assignments followed by more uni assignments, with a Pump class at the gym this evening the highlight of my day!

Today's Challenge: Eat your 5 a day!! Thanks to Topsy for reminding me I should be trying much harder with this one......!

Have a great day guys, think slim thoughts

HeleninEdinburgh – I so know what you mean about the chips/general rubbish food after a night out, but my reluctance to do that seems to be leading me to a life of just not going out on the booze anymore, boooo! (Well a mix of the diet and the fact being a poor mature student just doesn’t come with the same perks as being an undergrad did, I just can’t afford nights out anymore!) Good luck with the running, I’ve played around with the idea of being a runner for years now, but I’m hoping in this final push to find the healthy me, learning to run will be part of it, bring it on!

Elliemar – I blooming love having a job that means I get to live in wicked places and not have to worry about the cash all the time and scrimp and save traveller style Cannot wait to get back to it, just need to decide where to head next, boing! Awesome work on the size 12s, can’t wait until I’m there. Will throw in some exercise challenges to try and spur you from lazy moo to athlete……(Well, maybe not quite!) Which team do you support? Go you for getting back out there, I’m hoping when I’m finally where I want to be weight and fitness wise I’ll stop being happily single and motivate myself to go looking for lurrrve! And that poem brought back memories of GCSE English, not sure that’s a good thing!

PaintedButterfly
– Ha ha ha, my above and below knee meaasurments give away my hate for my legs ey?! I NEED proof they are shrinking, so the more measurements the better! I might be picking your brains re C25K, I’ve tried it a couple of times before and never got to the end, I really hope that this is the time! Did you do it outside or on the treadmill?

Topsy81
– Well done you for getting on the healthy lifestyle/diet thing so soon after having baby , I’m impressed, is it a boy or girl? Don’t worry too much about healthy celebrations, we’ve all still go to live, so if something is worth celebrating, do it right I say! Then be good the rest of the time  I hope the pills don’t affect your loss, but all you can do is keep at it, and even if it’s a slow process, you will get there in the end. How are you feeling today? Great work on the 5 a day, I love veg but really struggle with fruit. I think you’ve just given me today’s daily challenge

Aseret – well done on overcoming your first challenge. It makes me mad when restaurants don’t have healthier options, why not put them there so people have the choice? I’d love it if a law was passed so that every restaurant had to list calories of their dishes so that everyone could make an informed choice. It wouldn’t stop people from being able to order unhealthy dishes if that’s what they wanted, but it’d allow people to decide either way. I too have major evening eating issues, I wish it’d get easier, but it really doesn’t seem to, booooo!

Danielle – How did you find C25K? Did you just do it week by week and manage? I’m on week four this week and already dreading that 20 minute run at the end of next week, it’s been my downfall the other times I’ve tried it. REALLY want to get through it this time, fingers crossed! Well done on overcoming the habitual snacking, I think it’s a really hard one to break, but I’m hoping I’ve almost cracked it too!

ALmostMe – Where are you on the C25K program now? Love having ladies in the group who’ve completed it, hoping they can help us to get there too! Good luck for the rugby, I think you’ve got a really good ‘non-dieting’ attitude, go you! How long have you been in the UK? I hope this group helps you stay on track and can offer some support for you to successfully battle your depression and relationship problems.

Last edited by takingcontrol; 04-04-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 231/174/153

Height: 5ft8

Hi sorry I'm late with an introduction post

Age 40
Location Lancashire

Most recent nsv I am a staff nurse and was told by my manager I was starting to look silly in my uniforms and was sent to the linen room to be measured for new ones, two sizes down, I am now proudly in size 14 uniforms and hoping these will gone by the summer I also completed the 30 day shred a few days ago which has definitely made me feel stronger

Battle Plan To keep going and to stay motivated. I will use this group to be supported and to support you all I will post regularly and be honest and accountable sharing victories and defeats along the journey!

Particular Challenges Everything ha!!

Anything Else I have a wonderful supportive family and adore my children, I love my job but not the politics of it!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #26  

OOh Sparx - well done on that NSV! Great feeling, I'll bet? How did you find the 30-day Shred? Am considering buying it but wodnering if it'll be any good (or whether I'd actually do it, lol).

TC - Amen to scrimping traveller stylie I miss travelling and have seriously itchy feet. I've been considering doing TEFL as a teacher friend reckons I'd be great at it and it would enable me to go travelling again. Oh I'm a Gooner btw. As for confidence, going out etc, right now I'm just enjoying myself. I'm not really ready to get into another relationship - the scars from the alst one are too fresh. Having said that, the attention and flattery is helping my self-confidence no end which can only be a good thing for any of us.

Happy to say I completed yesterday's challenge - an extra 1 mile tacked onto the end of our walk to push ourselves that little bit further.

Good luck everyone....
Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 350/292/140

Height: 5f 7

Weathers awful chucking it down here right now! But at least we don't have the snow!

TC Good luck with the uni assignments. I am the other way round I eat more fruit and I struggle with veggies! Although chicken stew tonight with chicken breast and a fresh stew pack- So that should up them! I have a little boy Hun-My first ( and last-Ha ha!) but had 5 hours sleep last night ( thats good!), so not feeling to bad, thanks for asking. have my fingers crossed the tablets don't make me struggle to lose weight-or even worse gain. But we will see! I LOVE the idea that restaurant's SHOULD have cal counts on all there menus. I picked up a menu in weather-spoons and they do. You are right about celebrating, i want to have a healthy relationship with food rather than the up and down one I have had. Want to loose the weight through a healthy way that i will stick too. More lifestyle changes than a "Diet" i guess.

Wow sparx well done on the 30 day shred, you should be proud of yourself for completing it and good work on the size 14 uniform

Ellie-well done on the extra mile

Thin wishes :0
Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 168/168/140

Height: 5.6"

Hi all

TC- I'm only on week two, but I have never exercised before...ever, lazy I know but I am enjoying it, I findonce I know I'm half way though I am motivated to finish and do more exercise throughout the day. I've been dong a half hour of zumba, I just looked on you tube and saved few catchy songs, Papi by JLo and a few latin style ones . I've also ordered the 30 day shread because I think strength exercising in small doses will be best for me atm. Still keeping a food diary which scares me everytime I go to fill it in, keeping me conscious of food choices though which is good

Sparx - Well done on the 30 day shread I have just ordered it, how did you find it?

Topsy - Ha Ha as I was reading your post I had just finished eating frozen berries , gonna get out and buy some frozen grapes tomorrow and give them a try

Hope everyone is having a good week

xx
Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #29  

Spax - that is brilliant re the uniform, must make it feel all the more real that you are losing all this weight and it is making a real difference Where in Lancashire do you come from? I work part time at Nelson and Colne college, but live over the border in Yorkshire!

Elliemar - The TEFL is the single best thing I ever did! I never ever wanted to be a teacher, but I was in India volunteering at a children's charity, the money ran out and I so wasn't ready to go home, so I got a TEFL and gave teaching a go, and I've never looked back! I now know this is a career I want to keep, hence making myself come back for 18 months to get more formally qualified. It'll all be worth it in the end! Great to hear you're going out and enjoying yourself, I'd love to be doing the same ha ha ha!

Topsy81 Hope you get anotehr good nights sleep tonight then I'm in no way maternal and think part of the reason is I need my sleep too much! Your food today sounds great. I'm trying to be really good this week and next, ready for a few treats coming up!

Danielle SOunds like you're doing great! I really made the promise to get fit in January, and at first everything was so hard to do, I dreaded my classes and would have loved to have given up. But, I persevered and now I love my gym sessions, who'd have thought it?! Now I just need to find the same love for jogging! You'll have to let us know what you think of 30 day shred, heard a lot of good things about it

OK, great day here, no 'naughty' snacks, but lots of healthy snacking which I kind of need to watch out for, but I just get so munchy when I up my exercise. I got my 5 a day too, whoop! Had a banana, a bowl of strawberries, butternut squash soup, extra spinach in it, half a pepper and a tomato with some more spinach in my pasta at tea time.

And yesterday my exercise extra for the challenge was waling into town even when my mum offered me a lift because of the rain, but I declined, whoop!

Thursday's challenge - post a recipe that is healthy and you enjoy, so that we can all try it!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #30  

Danielle - keep at it with the exercise - it gets easier and the benefits build up fast and you'll soon feel much stronger and fitter.

Topsy - not good with the lack of sleep - I don't have kids but am very sleep deprived this week and feel like poooo. And agree on the lifestyle change as opposed to diet - it's worked for me!

TC - Well done on that career path - how fab to find something you love doing and that can be used anywhere in the world.

Here's my recipe - a big fave and I eat loads of it!

Veggie curry (can be adapted and done with meat) - just 2 syns on a green day for the whole lot (6 servings).

1 butternut squash
1 sweet potato
1 potato
1 onion
200g chopped toms (I use the whole tin)
100g green lentils (again - I use more - tweak amounts to your preference)
half pint veg stock
2 tbs Pataks Tikka Masala Curry Paste

Chop veg up as thick or as thin as you want. Lob it all in a slow cooker for about 6 hours. Done. Serve with rice (I use brown). I also add a little garam masala spice and a little extra cumin and coriander leaf (1tsp each).

I also chuck in random bits of veg that need using up - it's a fab, easy rec ipe and great on cold days when you want healthy comfort food!
Closed Thread