UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #1  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

Default Fitness DVD Discussion

It's that time of year again where all the fitness DVDs come out. Which ones have you bought, and which ones have you enjoyed? The rest of the forum seems to be obsessed with Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, but you can't get that over here unless you have a multiregion DVD player.

I personally bought Davina's Super Body Workout, Ministry of Sound Pump It Up Aeroburn, Clubland Work It Out and the Tracy Anderson Method: Dance Cardio Workout. I've done the first two so far: the Ministry of Sound one is pretty good but the choreography is tough, and I did Davina's today and loved it, but I feel so stiff now!

Apparently the Mel B one is good, anyone tried this?
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

I love love the Breakthru fitness DVDs, particulary their pilates ones. The two women who do the DVDs (I think their names are Michelle and Tracy) are just really likeable and encouraging, I think that's really important with exercise videos.

But if you are looking for a hardcore muscle sculpting exercise, buy their Pilates sculp DVD, I promise, you'll discover muscles you never knew you had!!
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #3  
Persevere! You can!

Hmm, I've not actually seen them in shops, I'll need to take a look.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 208/208/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm with everyone else on the 30 Day Shred. It's really good. I searched around on the internet for the unlocking code for my DVD player so I now have a multi-region DVD player!!

I've got Davina's first two DVDs which are pretty good. I also like doing gym ball workouts so I have a couple of DVDs by Lucy Knight.

I bought the Claire Richards one this year so will you know how that one is when I get round to doing it.

I heard Mel B had done one but I find she can be a bit loud and annoying so I didn't bother looking at that one.
AngelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #5  
Persevere! You can!

Claire Richards? Is that the girl from Steps? I saw her picture on the DVD cover and was like she has lost a LOT of weight and is looking fantastic! But I was never really a big Steps fan so...

They should bring out a fitness DVD set to rock music.

"Sweatin' to Metallica" lol
Old 01-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/208/135

Height: 5'3"

Yeah she is the one from Steps. I loved their music so thats the main reason I got it. I didn't know she had put on so much weight till I saw it in the shop.

A rock DVD would be good.
AngelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 203/196/125

Height: 5ft

I am a HUGE fam of the ten minute solution dvds, I have a couple and a couple more on order!I walked 8 miles to work and back on monday and hurt my foot so i am resting it til the weekend which is when my "Dirty Dancing workout dvd should arrive!woohoo!
redgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/178/130

Height: 5' 7"

I bought the first Ministry of Sound DVD about 4 years ago and have only just done it for the first time as my old house had bad flooring and I love it! Maybe I'll buy the new one after a while but for now I'm sticking with this one.
Vahla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

I own a LOT of fitness DVDs! (Over 30!) When I first started losing weight and exercising, I felt too self-conscious to go to fitness classes so invested in quite a few and the collection has just kept growing!

I now go to 7-8 fitness classes a week and prefer working out in a group environment. I think my neighbours prefer that I do this too, LOL! I am now clearing some of them out with the aim of donating some to a charity shop.

Some of the best ones I have (which I will be holding onto!) are Davina McCall's, Beverley Callard's (although a bit cheesy - lots of old style aerobics) and the Ministry of Sound Pump it Up DVDs. I have found the fitter I get, some of the DVDs I invested in at first just don't do anything for me and I hardly feel as if I have had a workout e.g Tracy Shaw Slim and Salsacise.

I guess it depends on what style of exercise you enjoy - I have some dance based ones too - Jennifer Ellison, Martine McCutcheon and Dirty Dancing which are all really good too.
MissVitality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/112

Height: 5ft 1

My faves are the first pump it up from the ministry of sound, Davinas' power of 3 and the Nell McAndrew ones, I think you have to be reasonably fit for these those as they're very energetic.

I normally start with Rosemary Conley if I haven't exercised for a while as they're easier
muppetmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

see i only have the rosemary conley ones which i love and even they aren't real copies! (ahem). i've treid yoga and kick boxing before but i just couldn't get in to them. i do have the strictly come dancing one and it's impossible unless you're a dancer anyway cos you can't see their feet.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #12  
Professional yo-yo dieter

S/C/G: 213/180/101

Height: 4' 11''

My favourites are the Ministry of Sound Pump It Up ones - I own the first one and the latest (Aeroburn). I've always loved my Tae-Bo boxset too - they are hardcore but get results! Nell McAndrews are good, I mainly use the resistance/toning sections which are fantastic, rather than the cardio bits as I find them a little boring.
arielblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 231/ticker/165

Height: 6'1

I bought the Davina Superbody one and the MOS Aeroburn ones recently but found the workouts I chose from them a bit complicated. Plus I only like to do them when my boyfriend is out because he'll laugh at me!
LucyFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

I have just bought the Davina Superbody one but still to try it - hope it's as good as her previous efforts.

I have heard good reports about the DVD brought out by Mel B.
MissVitality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 231/ticker/165

Height: 6'1

Just done the Ministry of Sound Aeroburn one. Was really good, although the male trainer has a really annoying voice, I kept having to stop because I was laughing at how camp he is!

I would recommend it though, I can feel that familiar muscle stretch already! Plus it was actually really fun!
LucyFM is offline   Reply With Quote