UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 01:56 PM   #1  

Default Fitness Gyms around Wickford and Marlborough...

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm going to be visiting England at the beginning of May and would like to know of any gyms in/around the areas where I'm going to be staying.

My fiance is from England and has family in both Wickford and Marlborough and I know how the trip is going to go... we'll do some 'touristy' things and get in quite a bit of walking, but there will be many other days when we will just be sitting around the house. I would love to use even just a few hours of that 'down' time in a productive manner - i.e. go to the gym, so that when I finally get home again I won't have lost all desire to set foot in them (which always happens when I've been away for a few weeks).

Even if you don't know specific gyms in those areas, if you know of any big 'chain' gyms that tend to have multiple locations, maybe they'll have websites that I could look on myself.

Thanks for your help.

Christine
Old 04-02-2002, 02:57 PM   #2  
Phat Chick

You could try Fitness First . They are a chain and you can use any branch.

Old 04-02-2002, 03:08 PM   #3  

The only one I've ever heard of is cannons probably because theres one where I live.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:56 AM   #4  

I live in Swindon which is about 15 miles from Marlborough there are both Fitness First and Cannons gyms in Swindon. Personally i am a member of Cannons which has, i feel better facilities, it has a pool which the two fitness first ones dont.

Take a look at www.cannons.co.uk

and for fitness first:-

http://www.fitness-first-health-club.co.uk/

In Marlborough itself there is a sports centre which has a pool and, i believe a gym, where you can pay per session which may suit you more.

If you want anymore info let me know and i can try and find out for you.

Tracy
Old 04-03-2002, 07:22 AM   #5  

I didn't have a clue where either place was!
Old 04-03-2002, 03:10 PM   #6  

Thanks for your help. Wickford is a little East of London, and Marlborough is a few hours West of London. I may just be deluding myself into thinking that I'll actually get to the gym, but it's nice to have that option available in case I can. I've sent off an email to the Cannons club... they seem to be very popular and are located not too far from each place. The only thing I'm worried about is the price of a day pass. On a website for a smaller gym (no where close to where I need one) they mentioned they offer them but they're 15 Pounds - when you convert that to Canadian dollars, it's almost 2.5 times as much... about 45 Canadian, which is how much I pay for an entire month at the gym I go to here. If it really is that much, I may just have to find other ways to amuse myself. I've taken my pedometer over on other visits and it's not uncommon for me to rack up over 10 km in a day. Oh well... guess I'll wait and see what the club has to say about their rates.

Thanks.

Christine
Closed Thread