3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   UK Fat Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks-75/)
-   -   Hello, I'm......... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks/13279-hello-im.html)

Posy 03-11-2002 12:26 PM

Hi everyone

I don't know how I managed to miss this thread, but I did until now :)

Well as most of you probably already know I'm Alison, I am 39 years old and will be 40 in september ...I am determined not to reach the big 40 and still be fat...
All my life I have been overweight, but in february 2001 I was at my highest ever 25 stone 4lbs and totally miserable about it. I made the decision then that I wasn't going to stay that way. I knew there was only one thing stopping me from being slim and that one thing was ME.
I knew it was going to be a LONG journey, I realised the weight had taken 38 years to pile on and I couldn't expect it to just disappear overnight.

I had a very happy childhood and there aren't very many instances where I can ever remember being really picked on by the other kids for being overweight. I got called the usual fatty names, but no one ever really went out of their way to make fun of me. I think the only thing that really did get to me was games. I was good at hockey and netball, but I dreaded cross country. I couldn't run very far before I was out of breath and used to end up walking most of the course, coming back long after the others did. I was good at all my other subjects and got good grades in my exams, mainly because I didn't really feel I fit in anywhere with the kids around me, so while they were all out playing, I used to lock myself in my room and study.
When I left school and started work I became more aware of my weight and attempted several times to do something about it.
I think over the years I must have tried every diet on the planet, some pretty good, while others were just stupid.
I wouldn't say all the diets didn't work because if I am honest my failure wasn't down to the diet being no good, it was down to me giving up. Which I'm sure many long term dieters will agree with.

I met my husband when I was 15 and we got married 2 days after my 20th birthday. He said he loved me for who I was, not for what size I was. He never made any comment about my weight ever, but if I said I was going on a diet he would support me as best he could and encourage me. He always said he didn't care about my weight, but he did care that my weight was making me unhappy.

I did manage to lose 114lbs about 13 years ago, but I didn't make it to my goal weight , falling short of it by about 70lbs. I joined a slimming club and was given a diet to follow that basically allowed me 1500 calories a day to eat, I used 1000 calories for my meals and allowed myself the other 500 calories for little treats, so that I wouldn't feel I was being deprived of anything.
My motivation to lose that weight was wanting a baby and being told that my weight was probably the only thing stopping me. And as you've probably already guessed, the reason I didn't reach my goal weight, was because I got pregnant.

I managed to keep my weight under control throughout my pregnancy, which really wasn't down to anything I did, I was hospitalised and on complete bed rest from my 6th week onwards and the hospital food was disgusting, so it really isn't any wonder that I didn't put on much weight.
My son was born 5 weeks prematurely by caesarian section and the first day I was able to get out of bed I jumped on the scales ( well I sort of stepped gingerley onto them..I wasn't in much of a state to go jumping onto anything...lol ) but I was thrilled to see I was only 7lbs heavier than I was before I was pregnant.
I stupidly believed that the weight would just fall off because I was breast feeding, but... Oh how wrong I was!!....My appetite went through the roof and I just ate and ate, I wasn't helped by the fact that my baby never seemed to sleep, I was awake all day and all night, just grabbing cat naps here and there. I used to eat sometimes, just to keep myself awake. I was sore for a while after the surgery, so I used that as a big excuse not to do much in the way of exercise. And of course, when I ate, what I did eat, was all the things I shouldn't, chocolate, cake, biscuits you name it, if it was unhealthy I ate it!!

From then on the weight just started creeping back on. Every now and then I would make half hearted attempts to lose it again, starting off with all the good intentions in the world, but giving up pretty quickly.
I've heard it said by so many successful slimmers, that you know when the time is right and your ready to lose the weight. I guess before the time just wasn't right for me. Deep down I know I wanted to lose weight, but I don't think I wanted it badly enough.

Well now I DO and this time nothing is going to stop me from reaching my goal weight.

As I know from my previous experience, I can lose weight following a diet based around 1500 calories a day, I have decided that is the way I will do it again this time. I know I can eat anything I want, just as long as I work it into my calorie allowance. If I know I will be going out at some time in the week, I save up my treat allowance the day before to use on that day and if I do go over I use the treat allowance for the day after as well.

I know there will be times when I don't lose any weight and at some stage I will hit a plateau,
There may even be times when I put on weight...I'm not trying to kid myself that I can be a complete angel the whole time, but I feel I am ready now to complete this journey and any small setback will not stop me from reaching the end.
I have to do it now....as a friend said to me yesterday...my story is here now for the whole world to see...how can I stop now.

So far I have lost 137lbs with another 76lbs left to go to reach that magical final goal for the first time in my life I really feel in control and I know I can do it this time.

I would just like to finish this with a message to all the friends I have made on the 3fc's website and my email buddies.....I thank you all from the bottom of my heart...this is a long tough journey and you all give me the encouragement, support and strength to complete it. I hope I am giving you all back as much as I am receiving...Thank You !!!

Ali :wave:

Jano 03-12-2002 11:34 AM

promises.. promises!!
( I think you are somebody famous and don't want to let on. You just come here to see how the other 1/2 live!)

Sarah Ann 03-12-2002 11:53 AM

You must be reading my mind, Jano......

Delaney 03-13-2002 03:05 PM

At last... well done BPB.

(I'm planning on doing a floristry course too - in September when both kids are in school).

tupperware queen 03-13-2002 04:16 PM

Hey BPB me and you might be bumping into each other all the time in karen Millen soon!!

Sarah Ann 03-14-2002 03:04 AM

Hiya BPB, I know what you mean about being more attractive if you had a DVD drive and Joystick..... I think I would DEFINITELY be more attractive if I wore a mud covered red and white ensemble and raced up and down a football pitch!!!

Jano 03-17-2002 11:35 AM

At last BFP...... I love flowers. What do you mean 31:eek: you are just a baby gal, what a wonderful age, still have youth and experience to go with it. Well done on the post.

(Don't believe her.... Still think she is someone famous:^: )

Jano 03-17-2002 04:22 PM

I could be very wrong.... but I don't think we have seen veggies contribution to this thread:( Have I missed it .. if so I apologise in advance!!

veggie 03-18-2002 07:30 AM

Hello I'm...

Totally knackered and hungover hows that???? As soon as I get a life you'll be the first to know!!!!

Jano 03-26-2002 01:54 AM

For the new friends

Hi I thought our new friends would like to read this and maybe do their bit!!!

(it was getting lost on page 2:( )

Hi to all!!

veggie 04-07-2002 03:21 PM

But I have no life nothing to say :( OK Ill practice sticking stuff!

veggie 04-07-2002 03:24 PM

Ive unstuck the moderator thread if thats ok????

veggie 04-07-2002 03:38 PM

Yes I nearly did it wrong tho :lol:

flumper 04-11-2002 04:47 PM

HELLO, IM ...............................absolutely starvingggggggggg
H E L P M E:cry: :rolleyes: :nono: :dz: :eek: :rolleyes: :nono: :dz:
:shrug:

Hj40 05-03-2002 02:38 AM

Jen. I'm 40, married 14 years, no kids. I weigh 12st 9lbs, am 5'4" and want to be around 9st . I carry all my weight on my thighs, and find it very hard to buy clothes that fit as my waist is still fairly small. My weight problems only really started, surprise surprise , when I got married. I hear that happens a lot.

Over the last 4 years or so my weight has stabilised around the 13st mark, I go up a little or lose a little. I have tried every diet known on planet Earth. Been a member of Weight Watchers around 13 times. I'm surprised they haven't banned me yet!
As some of you already know, I am going on holiday in two weeks time, and when I come home will probably start WW again.
I dont exercise - have been a member of a very posh health club locally for 3 years - pay my subs every month - but have only been about 5 times!!:o

I'm *fairly* happily married, he's a good bloke, but this weight is stopping me enjoying my life in so many ways. It affects my confidence - a lot - and I dont really enjoying going out in the evenings, I feel I never look good.

I would love to say my main reason for wanting to diet is for health reasons, but thats not true. It comes down to me wanting to look good, and I really really love nice clothes and hate looking like an old frump all the time!

I live in a small village in rural Cheshire. Its beautiful here, but I have found it impossible to make friends locally. I think not having kids is a big problem in an area like this, all the social stuff seems to be around the school gates and connected to school activities, so I never meet other women. We dont have a Weight Watchers class locally, which is a pity because then I could meet others more easily.

Anyway, on a positive note, I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all.
Jen