3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   UK Fat Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks-75/)
-   -   Hello, I'm......... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks/13279-hello-im.html)

Sarah Ann 03-01-2002 02:26 PM

I thought I'd just bring this thread back up to the top.... anyone feel like adding to it??????????:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Jano 03-02-2002 05:30 AM

Its your turn BPF

Come on... we've all done it!!!

Jano

Delaney 03-02-2002 07:53 AM

BPB - that's no excuse - come on.

zanyjaney2001 03-02-2002 07:17 PM

Could have sworn I'd done mine but it's not there so must have been dreaming; here goes.........

My name is Janice although most people in 3fc know me as Janey. I'll be 40 this month (10 days and counting ;) ), been married to the man I love for almost 13 years and we have 2 children, a girl of 11 who has Asperger Syndrome as well as being a very hormonal adolescent right now and a boy of 9 who just acts like he's an hormonal adolescent :shrug:

I work full time for a housing association and study at college one day a week for my HNC in Housing :yawn: which, yes, is as interesting as it sounds. I previously passed my law exams to become a legal executive but, surprise surprise, living in a rural area couldn't get a job which enabled me to pick the children up at 5.30pm when childcare stopped so had to change tack and do business instead.

I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. Each time I've joined ww I've lost then put on more than I'd lost and so the cycle would repeat. This last time though I managed to lose 42lbs before hitting a blip and I've put on 10lbs since Xmas whilst struggling to get back into the programme :ink: Just need a good kick up the arse I suppose :lol:

Waffled on for long enough, haven't I ??

Janey :wave:

Sarah Ann 03-08-2002 05:16 AM

Anyone else....???????????

flumper 03-08-2002 05:18 AM

yes come on dont be shy now get in here and tell us all the nitty gritty details..........im joking it would be nice to know more about people that come on here (im nosey)

bluelily 03-09-2002 03:17 PM

Hi all. This is my first post here, and this seemed to be a good place to start. So, introductions first. I'm Nyssa. I'm from New Zealand, but have recently married and moved over to the UK and am now living in Caerphilly, Wales. I'm 26 years old, soon to be 27 in April.

My weight has been steadily going up since I finished chemo (diagnosed with Hodgkins) two years ago. At the start of it, I was a little underweight at about 58 kilos so I was told on the doctors to eat alot more. Much of the time, due to the chemo I didn't feel like eating so they suggested that if I felt like eating an apple, eat an apple pie. Before getting sick I'd never been one for junk food, I ate fairly healthy, but never was skinny. I always saw myself back then as being overweight, but looking back now on the photos, I don't think I was. But anyways (got a little side tracked there), the bad habbits that were suggested to me upon finishing the chemotherapy, stayed.

To make it even worse, currently due to financial restrictions, I live with my husband with his parents (who are really really lovely people), problem is, his Mum likes to do 95 % of the cooking, and well.. her meals aren't too good. In fact, calorie wise they're pretty bad. Deep fried home made chips every other night. Fried chops... etc. The food is absolutely delicious but since moving in a year ago, I've put on 2-3 stone. Both my husband and I have tried talking to her, but it's hard. In her mind, as long as a meal as meat and three veges then it's healthy. We pay a weekly allowance to her for food, and ask her to stop buying the sausage rolls, and chocolate and other yummy stuff, and suggest alternatives, but to no avail.

We're on a (very) low income, with only 10 to spend after board a week, leaving little money to get alternative food.

I REALLY want to lose weight. There are no full length mirrors in the house, and every time I get out of the house and go clothes shopping or to the bathroom in the pub and see myself in the mirror I want to just go straight home and cry. Everything I have to wear looks bad on me. Which considering the size of my wearable clothes section of the wardrobe (ie the clothes that I have that still fit me), next to nothing. I find myself doing the cliche thing and hiding under bulky woollen jumpers and shapeless jeans. No doubt making myself look ten times worse.

This is shaping up to be a little longer than I wanted.. but wanted to end the depressing side of it. I am very keen and positive about trying to lose weight. Just need to work out the hows of it!

I am currently 188lbs, and would like to be about 140lbs. I don't want to be skinny, I don't think with my body frame and height I could be, but I would like to be 'average' again.

Umm, yeah, sorry for blabbering on a bit there. Looking forward to reading through the posts. It looks like a really good support network here.

Ruthxxx 03-09-2002 06:21 PM

Canuk Here!

...but I do lurk on this thread and do the Bertlitz simultaneous translation on chat. :D I sometimes think I am am more Brit (Irish actually) than North American because I sure understand what you chicks are on about.

Like Tiz, I am aging outrageously - was 63 in January. Live in the really rural Canadian boonies but am a big city woman who has travelled extensively and know many of the places you UK Chicks talk about.

Now besides Tiz, who has a spare bed? I'm getting the urge to travel again! Just joshing - my DH is not at all well so there is not travel in my furture for a while. :shrug: Such is life!

Don't mean to butt in but could not resist since I lurk a lot. :love:

TTFN

Sarah Ann 03-10-2002 05:11 AM

Hiya Ruth and Nyssa - gosh - NZ and Canada - we ARE getting exotic!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Ruth - I don't think we have had a lurker before... LOL.

Nyssa - difficult problem! I suppose the only way to diet without offending her is to do it very slowly, a little step at a time. For instance how about just starting off by only eating the lean part of your meat, or the inside of your pie/pasty and only eating a few chips, but eating as much of the veggies or other low fat stuff (baked beans, tinned spaghetti in tomato sauce) as you possibly can.

I think you need to really tell her when you are starting your diet and apologise up front that you won't be able to eat all of her delicious meals and then stick to it. Perhaps you could get her in to a sort of girlie huddle and try to persuade her to be on your side in this... how about telling her that it would be better for your health rather than as a sort of fashion/image thing. I find that most people are really helpful when I tell them I need to lose weight for my health. I would think that right now (because of your health problems) you will have been told to increase the fruit and vegetables in your diet anyway, so you won't be lying.

If you can't get her on to your side in this then perhaps you could visit reasonably priced shops like Kwik Save, Netto or Aldi - or your local market - and buy some cheap fruit to fill up on when you have cut down the size of your meals.

bluelily 03-10-2002 09:24 AM

Thanks for the welcome Sarah Ann!

I will endeavour to take your advice. I had a bit of a talk to the Mother In Law last night, and am trying to work out some things. Will be try to go grocery shopping with her and help pick out a few things. Also made the suggestion of grilling meats instead of frying, which I think she might try. So far, even though it's been only two days, the diet's going well! I've stayed well under my calorie max for the day, but that has largely been because I've been cooking the last two nights.. we'll see what happens tonight.

If nothing else, while I'm short on money, and have not as much control over what's in the fridge, I'd like to be able to at least maintain my weight and not put on anything.

Sarah Ann 03-10-2002 09:37 AM

Hi Nyssa

I am so glad that you have managed to come to an agreement with your MIL.

I take it that you aren't going to attend any classes, so I thought that you might need the extra support that the women who post on UKFCs get from each other, we are a friendly bunch and its nice to see a new face(!!).

Us UKFCs have got a weekly weigh in thread which most of us post our weight losses on each week (especially if we don't go to a diet class) and we have got a general chat thread over at Hello from One Fat Chick in England (we are currently on thread no. 12!) There are lots of other threads as well, but I think that those two are really the busiest.

Good luck with your new eating plan and it would be lovely to hear how you are getting along.

bluelily 03-10-2002 12:29 PM

You guessed right with the non-attendance of classes.. at least at this stage, but who knows! I might get signed on with a job next week and I may be able to get more of a move on this stuff!

I'll did have a little bit of a look at the other threads, but will look in more detail tonight and start a bit of a post, specially on the weigh in, though I probably won't be doing that again till next Saturday - a week from the start to the diet.

tupperware queen 03-10-2002 01:59 PM

Well done bluelily, your situation cannot be an easy one!!
welcome aboard you will like it here we try to help each other and have fun in the process. I have never been to NZ but have friends there, do you miss home or is Wales a good substitute??
Hope to hear from you often, bye for now.

bluelily 03-11-2002 04:29 AM

Wales isn't a too bad subsitute, there's some really lovely countryside here that reminds me alot of back home. Lots of forest and hills and the like, but still miss New Zealand and my family and friends a **** of alot.

Shad 03-11-2002 05:06 AM

Re - Hello I'm.........

I've lurked around this site occasionally as well. Sort of introduced myself on another thread, but just in case you're wondering who I am or even if you're not wondering this is me!

My name is Joy. Shad is actually my 13 year old dog! He and the Cat live with me - or should that be he and I live with the Cat. I live in Australia but am actually a Kiwi. Somone has to raise the IQ rate in Aus! I'm 52 years young and my one aim in life is to live long enough to extract revenge on the kids. I have two boys - age 28 and 26 whom I love dearly but am glad they no longer live with me.

I started life as an average kid, average size etc., and bought up on the wonderful foods of NZ - lots of fresh fruits and veg. Rich creamy dairy and lots of Lamb and Beef etc. All the things NZ is famous for. From about 16 right up until my eldest was 3( I was 28) I weighed 54Kg (81/2 stone). Even after the babies were born I was back to 54 in about a week.

Then my ex and I bought a taxi licence and I drove from 5 in the morning until about 4 or 5 in the afternoon. And the weight went on. I got to 77 kg when my Dad died of Heart Disease and that bought me to my senses. I have struggled ever since.
I did once get down to 68kg but it all went back and plus some.

So I've started again at 80kg. Lost 2 kg (5lbs) last week and only 1/2 k this week. But I'll keep the loss - I'm not taking it back. I limit myself to 1200cal and 30g fat and keep a food diary. I also created a chart in Excel to plot the downward course. That's also where the food diary resides. It looks quite good. I put a picture in behind it of a place I want to visit. That will be my treat for the loss of 20kg.

I've enjoyed reading some of the things you people get up to. I have a laugh once in a while at the THINGS WE DO or don't do as the case may be.

Thank you to Jano for welcoming me earlier on another thread. Maybe I'll catch up with you all again another week.

Meantime have a good week and good luck to you all.
Joy