UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 05:01 PM   #1  

Default larger clothes shopps

Hi UK Chicks,

Tizme2000 wants to know if you have a favourite clothes shop other than Evans where you get decent well cut larger sizes. I have a catalogue as well but it is rather frumpy to say the least. I am disabled so need easy wear and get on clothing. Would appreciate any help you have.
Vivienne
Old 12-30-2001, 05:48 PM   #2  
Pink Thingy

Not sure how much help this will be, but here goes...

Anne Harvey
Anna Scholtz (Debenhams Designer Range)
Next - go up to at least a size 20 I think
Freemans Catalogue
www.sixteen47.co.uk (Dawn French's shop) - based in London
French & Teague - Dawn's more expensive range - based in London - off Oxford Street
Marina Rinaldi - again London - Bond Street (sorry)

That's all I know of, hope this of some help
Old 12-30-2001, 05:54 PM   #3  
girly swot

Tiz, don't know if there's an Asda where you are but they do larger sizes now and very reasonable prices too (ever the bargain hunter, you know me )

Janey

Old 12-31-2001, 08:05 AM   #4  
it's always something

Simply Be has nice clothes.

I only had one experience with them. I had ordered a jacket and requested express shipping, as I wanted it to wear to an important meeting. They failed to send it express and it arrived 10 days after I needed it. Also, right after I placed the order, I explored their website and discovered the same jacket in the markdown area. I called them back the next day and they refused to give me the discount, saying I had to specify the price when I placed the order. I couldnt cancel and reorder because I needed it express and there was no time (or so I thought). In the end, I was stuck with an overpriced jacket that arrived late, as well as a similar replacement jacket I bought at Evans.

BUT... if you are not in a hurry to receive your order, and as long as you are satisified with the price you are charged, then they do have a nice selection and you may want to give them a try.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:51 PM   #5  

Default Thank you UK Chickiies

Hi All, Thank you for your replies am just a bit fed up with frumpy clothes thought I would go mad in the New Year!!!!!! You know
me Zany.
The London ones I cant get to, but Asda is only on the other side of Bournemouth about 10 miles away so can go there thanks Zany.
I am going to send for all the catalogues you mention and any more I find and have a looksee. If anything good comes from it will post for you to see.
Once again thanks Suzanne for your help.
Might I start another thread how about a time we brits can chat in the chat room when the rest of the world is either working or sleeping. I miss our chat Zany it was such fun as well as help it kept me away from the kitchen!!!!!!
Vivienne
tizme2000
Old 01-02-2002, 04:46 PM   #6  

Hello

I get quite a few clothes from "Elizabeth" which is by Liz Claibourne - I go to John Lewis where I know they have a franchise. It's not particularly cheap but the quality is great and at least it offers something different. Hope that's of some use.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:29 AM   #7  

Pleased to hear that Elizabeth is in the UK now....... a while ago I tried to find their stuff and was told it was only in the US. I will hotfoot to John Lewis!!

I buy a lot of French and Teague (when I can afford it) and I find their stuff wonderful. The shop is in Great Castle Street off oxford street.

Nice to have one or two nice pieces I think.

love
Lilac
Old 01-06-2002, 09:46 AM   #8  
Pink Thingy

I am 99.9% sure that House of Fraser stock the Elisabeth range also.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:15 AM   #9  
girly swot

Oh, I love Liz thingie's stuff, its soo classy but, like you say, not cheap.
Tiz, if you come and visit me sometime I'll take you to Cheshire Oaks, it's Europe's biggest outlet village and is only 15 mins away from me. They have loads of stuff, even in bigger sizes and at a fraction of the price.

OK, gonna keep it short; can't wait to get my college stuff out of the way so I can lead a normal (or as near to normal as I can manage) life again.

Ciao ciao chickies

Janey xx
Old 01-07-2002, 05:34 PM   #10  
Are We Nearly There Yet?!

HENNES - B.I.B range (Big Is Beautiful)
Comfy clothes, and not expensive - nice colours too.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:13 AM   #11  

Hello all... I don't live in the UK, but visit often, so I hope you don't mind if I listen in and contribute every once in awhile. One store that I found I could buy clothes in was Bon Marche. Now mind you they don't have the most fashionable clothes in the world, but I work in an office and they had a good supply of office basics - dress pants, blouses, etc... Plus the price isn't so bad - I got a nice short sleeved blouse at the after Christmas sale for only 7 Pounds.

Christine
Old 01-08-2002, 05:51 PM   #12  

Default Hi Beckyfern,

Quote:
Originally posted by beckyfurn
HENNES - B.I.B range (Big Is Beautiful)
Comfy clothes, and not expensive - nice colours too.
Hi Becky,

Where is Hennes BIB do they have a internet addy or e.mail addy as I have never heard of them but then I do live down in deepest Dorset. Not much goes on here other than building luxury boats (Sunseekers) but it is truly beautiful.

best wishes,
Vivienne
tizme2000
Old 01-08-2002, 06:08 PM   #13  
Pink Thingy

You could try

http://www.hm.com/uk/start/start/index.jsp

or

http://www.hm.com/uk/hm/store/store_srt.jsp
Old 01-09-2002, 05:21 AM   #14  

I've had clothes from BIB, I liked the colours and fashionable styles, the only problem I have is they come small. I'm a size 24 and I have to wear their size 26!! Although they do go up to a size 30.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:14 AM   #15  
diva of the diet

S/C/G: 290/223/210

Height: 5ft 10"

I get quite a few things mail order La Redoute has larger sizes, I like hawkshead and Cotton traders for comfy/casual clothes.

www.mariadonati.co.uk

Is another good catalogue, BHS, Littlewoods, New Look all do larger sizes these days too.
Closed Thread