3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   UK Fat Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks-75/)
-   -   Slimming World Syn help (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks/102633-slimming-world-syn-help.html)

cherrycupcake 01-21-2007 12:46 PM

Slimming World Syn help

Hello!

I have been yo-yoing for a few months while counting cals and have decided to give SW another go. I went last year for a couple of weeks so I have the books and I kind of know what to do. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with.......

How do you decide have many daily syns to have?

Do you think it is better to have so many red/green days a week or dan you really just please yourself? Would it be ok to have Mon to Friday red and then Sat/sun green one week and the next week do red/green a day each etc

Hope these questions make sense.

veggie 01-21-2007 01:33 PM

You can have between 5 - 15 syns a day (it's basically 100 - 300 cals for treats etc a day) whatever your weight and you can choose between red or green any day so one during the week then another at the weekend is fine. :) I think. I only ever did green being a veggie.

bits 01-21-2007 03:34 PM

I mostly do the green days too, I can fill up better on them and don't miss the meat at all. I probably don't have enough syns really, just because I know that if I start it might be harder to stop :dizzy:

cherrycupcake 01-21-2007 03:58 PM

thanks ladies - I can't get my head around green days after doing low carb - but I do prefer the green food so I am going to give them a try. i think I will try for 10 syns. Do you have to eat syns daily or can you save a few up?

bits 01-21-2007 04:05 PM

You're fine to save a few up if you like :smile:

cherrycupcake 01-22-2007 05:09 PM

Thanks bits!

Do you happen to know how many syns are in the new Shape 'lasting satisfaction' yogurts? My food directory is from 2006 and they aren't in! I will have to get a new one.

bits 01-22-2007 05:45 PM

Good news, it looks as if all varieties of that one are free! Are they worth a try?

cherrycupcake 01-23-2007 03:13 PM

Thanks again Bits - yes I quite like them, especially if they are free!! That makes them taste even better.

I am still getting my head around this red/green thing. I have completed 2 days so far on green. If i lose weight eating these kind of foods I will be over the moon. I mean jacket potatoes, rice and pasta? all the things I usually avoid but love. Tomorrow is my first red day and i've just chopped a big salad with lots of turkey to take to work. I think i will have my usual breakfast of porridge, although a bacon roll is tempting.

I find shopping a bit difficult, there are so many things I want to try. I am shopping every 2 to 3 days until I get used to it.

Any tips or favourites would be gratefully accepted.

lou1978 01-23-2007 04:15 PM

u can have a bacon roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

free on red... an roll healthy extra/ syns dependingon which type.

(if u have red b'fast..... u can have green lunch & dinner if u like... - or whatever combination suits)

bits 01-23-2007 04:45 PM

yum :hun: I had a (quorn) sausage and egg sandwich the other day and that was free on green and red, just a Healthy extra for the bread!

peacock 2 01-24-2007 03:58 AM

I don't go to the club anymore but I do try to follow the system. I got out all my old books last night and looked at some recipes. If you join the club the person in charge usually gives you how many Syns you are "allowed". If you have a lot to lose you get the full quota, 15, but otherwise about 10.

As long as you don't mix green ond red on same day (or, if doing green but fancy some meat you must add it as either healthy option or as a syn.

Some people prefer a lot of meat. My friend loves meat but it did not fill her up so she was mostly green until about 1 or 2 days when she craved some meat/fish and had a red day but mostly she preferred green days. She lost the most when she ate pearl barley cos it is filling. I have vegetarian for over 20 years so no way would I do the red days anyway.

cherrycupcake 01-24-2007 12:02 PM

I am having a bacon roll for dinner! (with some mushrooms and an egg). The red days are not as bad as I thought, I am enjoying it today actually. I had yogurt and banana for breakfast, turkey and salad for lunch and a yogurt and mini babybel light for a snack.

I've decided I love the new shape yogurts and have eaten two today already. I was going to eat another but that seems too much. They are lovely, thick & creamy.

I am also working from the books at home. I am trying to start with the basics and add in a few recipes. I have a few of the SW recipe books and some old magazines to browse. I also need to buy some quorn and give it a try.

bits 01-24-2007 03:36 PM

One of my favourite quick and easy meals on a green day is just pasta, mixed with mushrroms, peppers and sweetcorn all in passata, and (depending how many healthy extras I have used up), covered in grated low fat cheese!

It takes so little time, tastes sinful, and I can eat loads when I'm hungry and still lose the weight!

Knorr used to do pasta stock cubes which were great for pasta without any sauce, but I can't find them anywhere now! :?:

cherrycupcake 01-27-2007 07:30 AM

Bits - that sounds lovely, I'll give it a try. I will look out for the pasta stock cubes too.

I need a new branded food directory, can you buy them online anywhere? I looked on ebay but they are selling anything between £15 - £20 and I'm sure they are half that at SW class. The one I have is out of date but I bought it from the SW magazine. I looked in the current issue but it isn't in there.

bits 01-27-2007 07:46 AM

I found the 2007 one on the Body Optimise (slimming world online) site but I think you have to be a member to order it :?:

I don't imagine things will have changed that much mind, so you can probably get away with the one you have, and I can always help you out with the odd one that's not there :)

cherrycupcake 01-27-2007 11:17 AM

Aww thanks that is kind. (I'll try not to be a pest!) I will keep an eye on ebay too because they may go down a bit once the January rush is over.

One problem i'm having is knowing whether i want to have a red or green day. I have been eating free foods on both so far today. It is nearly teatime and I still haven't decided! I am swaying towards red and roasting some chicken.

bits 01-27-2007 05:21 PM

I had a green day (as I do almost every day), and made a lovely rice pudding. I used Tesco's artificial sweetener since it's one of the best I've found and used milk from my allowance....it was gorgeous and even though it had no syns I felt deliciously sinful!

cherrycupcake 01-27-2007 06:07 PM

I never thought of making a rice pudding! It would be free, wouldn't it. Did you use HE milk and splenda or similiar? There is so much to have on this plan!

I ended up having a red day but I think I'll have green tomorrow.

cherrycupcake 01-29-2007 03:00 PM

I am so happy - I lost 6 pounds on my week one weigh in. I am shocked! I have eaten so much free food!

bits 01-30-2007 03:54 PM

That's brilliant, good for you! :carrot: I don't think I've ever lost that much on my first week, but I usually have a pretty good second week too so that keeps me going! It's great for the motivation when you have such a good loss, and they do say the more frree food you eat the better - probably because it makes you less likely to snack on the not-so-free food ;)

For the rice pudding I used the milk from my Healthy Extra, topped up with a little bit of water, and Tesco's own sweetener (in a jar) and it was gorgeous! This is about the fourth time I've done Slimming World, the first time was for over a year and a half, and this is the first time I've ever thought of rice pudding too! Can't believe I never thought of it before!

slimmernow 01-31-2007 07:57 AM

Slimming World

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrycupcake (Post 1540676)
Hello!

I have been yo-yoing for a few months while counting cals and have decided to give SW another go. I went last year for a couple of weeks so I have the books and I kind of know what to do. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with.......

How do you decide have many daily syns to have?

Do you think it is better to have so many red/green days a week or dan you really just please yourself? Would it be ok to have Mon to Friday red and then Sat/sun green one week and the next week do red/green a day each etc

Hope these questions make sense.

I was told at class that they recommend you do one green day and one red day as that gives the best weight loss! I never found that though - I think I have a problem eating too many carbs so the green plan doesn't really work for me - I find I lose the most on red! Slimming world rules say that you can do whichever you like - or you can even mix them up now can't you? They have a couple of different options - one where you decide at each meal and just eat free foods in between and another where you can eat red and green foods together as long as you eat a certain proportion of the boring free foods with it! I always find it's easier for long term weight loss if you have more sins rather than less - just helps to keep you going long term - if I try to cut back too much, I lose control and end up eating more!!!!!!!!!

cherrycupcake 01-31-2007 03:33 PM

bits - that makes sense. I have been eating plenty of the free stuff. Some days i even forget about syns but i always try to have between 5 and 15 everyday. I am going to try the rice pudding soon.

slimmernow - thanks for the advice. I am doing more red days at the moment but I am going to have 2 green days in the week for a bit of variety.

I'm just been eyeing up my hubby's kebab meat - is that full of sins?

Does anyone know how many sins are in the Go Ahead crispy slices (3 slices per pack) and the strawberry yogurt breaks (2 slices per pack)?

peacock 2 02-01-2007 04:13 AM

Cherry cupcake - a word of advice - never mind eyeing up your hubbies kebab meat. Eye up your hubbie instead! You may get a calorific workout!

cherrycupcake 02-01-2007 04:31 AM

peacocK - lol - you are funny! Maybe I should have done that years ago and then I wouldn't have put so much weight on.

bits 02-01-2007 05:33 PM

lol, such perfect advice! For your Go Ahead slices you need to count 3 syns per slice, and the strawberry yoghurt breaks are 3 1/2 each :)

cherrycupcake 02-02-2007 05:29 AM

bits - thanks, I can eat them now i know how much to count. Have you tried them? They are really lovely. i think I'll go put the kettle on and have a slice!

cherrycupcake 02-03-2007 05:07 AM

I need help! I am going walking tomorrow and can't decide whether to pick a red or green day. I know it would be ideal to take food with me but I can't this time. I have no idea where we will be eating either! Also I am going to London next weekend for a couple of days and i will have the same problem then too. Does anyone have any tips? What have you done on days like these? I haven't eaten out at all yet on the plan.

bits 02-03-2007 07:59 AM

I'm a complete wimp when it comes to eating out...I go with all the right intentions, but as soon as I see something nice on the menu I forget the diet, lol. There are usually good options on there though, things like jacket potato with beans, or chicken and bacon salads, or sandwiches in wholemeal bread. If you go in the right frame of mind, and just decide on red or green when you're in front of the menu then you'll probably find it easier :)

cherrycupcake 02-03-2007 08:18 AM

that is good advice - that is what i am going to do. I will have yogurt and fruit in the morning and then decide when i know where we will be eating lunch. I suppose it is all a matter of taking days out as they come and having the best thing available. I am so determined to stay strong stick to it this time, I am stick of starting again on Monday mornings! This year I am going to shift some weight!!

bits 02-03-2007 08:20 AM

You and me both! We can do it ;)

cherrycupcake 02-03-2007 08:41 AM

We can!

Are the packs of savoury rice, still all free on green? Even the Egg fried? They are in my old book but I wanted to check before I make a quiche. The quiche is made by mixing a pack of made up savoury rice with a tub of cottage cheese and three eggs. I am going to test it.

bits 02-03-2007 09:16 AM

Yep, still syn free on green! That quiche sounds good, you'll have to let me know what it's like, and how long to cook it etc so I can give it a go!

cherrycupcake 02-03-2007 09:24 AM

Thanks!!

It is in the oven right now so I will eat some when it's ready and give you the verdict.

cherrycupcake 02-03-2007 04:07 PM

The quiche was not too bad. Not something I'd eat if I wasn't dieting but a great thing to make on a day when you need to eat. You could use any savoury rice or pasta n sauce. Just mix with 3 eggs and a tub of cottage cheese and cook on 150 for 30 mins, or until golden brown on top. Eat hot or cold.

bits 02-04-2007 04:11 AM

Thanks! I'll give it a try sometime soon :)

peacock 2 02-05-2007 10:23 AM

And in my opinion is the only thing to do with a pot of cottage cheese! :D Even I like the quiche when the Slimming Lady made it.

bits 02-05-2007 03:52 PM

lol, I think I must be weird, I love cottage cheese and will even buy it when I'm not dieting. Not that often mind ;)

I made the rice pudding again last night except that I was only making one portion so did it in the pan instead of in the oven. It turned out a lot creamier, and I mixed some frozen berries into it after cooking too which made it extra tasty! :drool:

cherrycupcake 02-06-2007 05:02 AM

My rice pudding came out too thick last time - I think I will try it again tonight. The frozen berries sound nice, I've tried it with mandarins and peaches which were nice. Peaches on top reminds me of school rice pudding!

SlimmingWorldChick 02-06-2007 09:41 PM

Hello my fellow Slimming worlders:hug: ,

i'm actually trying to do a core type plan with certain aspects of slimming world. Hopefully you girls can give me motivation to get back on my slimming world!!!as i did manage to loose 11/2 stone on it.:D

cherrycupcake 02-07-2007 04:36 AM

Hello SWC - I switched to SW two weeks ago and I've lost 9 pounds so far. I am delighted with how it is going so far. I haven't been hungry once and sometimes I've felt too full. I am doing a mix of red and green, whichever I fancy really. I like both days equally and love the variety it gives me. I am also walking for 30 minutes a day and hoping to increase this soon. My goal is to lose at least 50 pounds this year.

Bits - I made your stove top rice pudding last night and even mixed it with berries. It was FANTASTIC! Much more creamy, tasty and so fast.