3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Hot & Healthy Challenge Chick's 12/03/06 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/99217-hot-healthy-challenge-chicks-12-03-06-a.html)

Jasmine31 12-03-2006 10:09 AM

Hot & Healthy Challenge Chick's 12/03/06

Hello!!! Some of us girls were in challenges together and we all liked each other so much and were so supportive of each other that we wanted to continue that beyond just a turkey or x~mas challenge. Support and friendship is something we all need no matter what the season! :hug: So we decided to start a group!

Who can join this group?

Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join! We are a very supportive group and we talk about life in general as well as exercise and eating. :D

What is this group about?

This group is about supporting each other to be healthy and to exercise! We need to remind ourselves that at whatever size we are, we are hot! And we challenge each other to be healthy which means eating right and exercising.

Everyone is welcome to join us! At the beginning of the month we can state our goal for the month whether it is losing a few pounds, changing some bad habits, or just all around maintaining! Come on in! We'd love to have ya!! :hug:

Jasmine31 12-03-2006 10:17 AM

Okay good morning everyone! I will get to how I am doing in a little bit. My throat is sore right now! :(

martiniforme:

Holiday baking sounds like fun! I will be doing mine soon plus we have two birthdays this month! Someone save me! haha
Quote:

I've decided to do everything in bite sizes this year! I made bite size star-shaped sugar cookies last night. Usually I would have about 3 normal/large cookies, but instead I had 3 bite size, they were just as good, but less! Maybe it's a mental thing. I still felt like I got my 3 cookies, but my thighs didn't!
That is awesome! I want the recipe! WHere did you get the small shaper from? Did you use splenda?

Quote:

DF is leaving town on Monday. He has to go do a project out in the field that will keep him there until Friday. He'll drive home Friday (takes most of the day), have Saturday with me, then drive back on Sunday, then come home the following Friday.
Awwww that will be rough!

Quote:

I went looking for Ezekiel bread all over town, and NOTHING!
Awww. No health food stores near you?

loveandlaughalways:

Just keep working on it! You will get faster!

Calejo:

Quote:

I didn't do tooo badly today, I got my workout in this morning, but skipped my afternoon one due to time restraints with family issues. Plus I've been getting a pain in my left side that flairs up if I bend a certain way and it's been getting worse. I need to make a trip to the Dr., just to make sure it's ok, it's been there for a month now and has been increasing a bit.
Yeah go get that checked out!!!

stopeating:

Quote:

Good Morning Everyone I went to my two holiday parties yesterday and I did okay. I did eat some things that I try to stay away from like dip which is HUGE for me. But I ate a lot of carrots, celery, and broccoli with the dip. I'm guessing my calories to be 1800-2000 yesterday? The wine party was family style and they passed each bowl around. Psychologically that's hard because I feel obligated to take some. Still just one spoon of each. Could have been a lot worse. Not weighing myself for a couple of days.
Good for you for being so strong! I LOVE chips and dip and I would of indulged! haha

ennay:

Morning ennay!

Jasmine31 12-03-2006 11:00 AM

Whoohooo!!! Guess who lost a pound this morning??? You guessed right! Me!!!! Wheeee!!! SO that is 1.5 total this week. Yeah!!!! So of course I was hoping it would be 2 pounds this week but the week started off kind of rocky cause I had those stupid HFCS bagels still! I will go find cal stats in a minute but I did alot better the last 3 days with cals and the beans and all that. Yippee!!!!

Hun.e.B 12-03-2006 11:23 AM

Jasmine you are so amazing!!! You are such an inspiration to me, I really need to take your lead and just do this already!! Way to go on that loss!!! Onederland here she comes!!!! What an amazing new years gift for yourself! How's the throat? I hope its short lived, no need to be getting sick now!

Mande....ah the baking! I dont dare start doing that till much closer to Christmas. Although I'm not sure I will do much this year since my cousin who I normally share half of it all with has gestational diabetes so she doesnt need the goodies around anymore than I do.

We got our tree yesterday, its SO beautiful and my house smells amazing! If I didnt have so much homework to do today I'd go get the outdoor lights put up and finish putting up the rest of the inside stuff. But I gotta focus...1 more week of classes and then finals then I'm a free woman for a few weeks!!!

Off to the books! Have a fantastic sunday everyone!!

~melissa

Jasmine31 12-03-2006 11:24 AM

November 26(sunday/ bagel day)

2191 cals/60 grams of fat

November 27(monday/bagel)

1877 cals/ 53 frams of fat

November 28(tuesday/bagel)

2200 cals/ 83 grams of fat!!

November 29(wed/ no bagel!!)

1454 cals/38 grams of fat

November 30(thursday/no bagel)

1664 cals/ 42 grams of fat

December 1(friday/no bagel)

1649 cals/ 35 fat grams

December 2(saturday/no bagel)

1430 cals/40 fat grams

Does everyone notice the first 3 days were days I had those awful bagels and my eating was extremely out of control!! 1700 is what I want my limit to be. , 1800 or so is pushing it, maybe on an out to eat day, but two days of 2200!!!! That is rediculous! And I knew what I was doing cause I always check with fitday but it felt uncontrollable all those days!!

I quit eating the bagels and voila! I was never over 1700! I even had two 1400 days and was full on that! Let me also tell you ladies these beans are VERY filling! I even had enchiladas last nite and I STILL lost this a.m.! Some of you oldtimers know how enchiladas are my weak spot. ;) I made mine separate so I could meausre it out and you know what, when it came time to eaT dinner, I could only eat HALF of what I had planned! So I am saving it for lunch today. ;)

Jasmine31 12-03-2006 11:27 AM

Hey huneb! I am glad I am an inspiration to you! :hug: Yes my throat is still hurting. I crashed hard last nite before our movie ended and didn't even have energy for my 8 minute abs! I will today though!

Well I still want to do some baking. I am goping to be substituting splenda though and watching the cals. I am glad you got your tree!!! When we move to Mt I wan a real one! Right now we just have a fake one. We need to find where it is in the garage first! haha

Have a great day!

Jasmine31 12-03-2006 01:19 PM

Corn is back on! I found it on the world's healthiest list of foods as well!

Corn!

ennay 12-03-2006 02:07 PM

Morning! just got back from my run- 9.25 miles wooohooo, havent run that far since pre pg. And the best part is that gives me a bigger food budget today :) so I got my favorite breakfast 2 whole grain pancakes with 2 real eggs over easy and a little bit of light syrup...yummmmmm

My baby is 2 months old today...time flies :(

sooo....last week through saturday night:
avg cals eaten 2079 :)
cals burned 3108 :)
balance : -1028 :) right on target

martiniforme 12-03-2006 02:44 PM

loveandlaughalways:
Aww, thanks sweetie! I'm not that fast of a walker/jogger though! I do an exercise DVD called Walk On To Weight Loss, and it's all "on the spot," which I'm guessing allows us to move our legs faster or something. I'm able to keep in time with the instructor, and she says that we are going 4.5mph, but I work up one heck of a sweat!! I can't wait until I can go jogging again :)

Calejo:
I agree, definitely get to a doctor soon! I ignored me knees for so long, and just figured it was part of getting older (and I'm only 23!). Turns out that my cartilage was degenerating, and if I had taken care of the problem sooner, I could have possibly avoided surgery. Don't get me wrong, I'm still avoiding it like the dickens! But I take Glucosamine Sulfate with Chondroitin, with encouragement to do so from my doctor, of course ;). And you're welcome for the links!

stopeating:
We have a festival like that here as well! And a parade that goes around the town (very small town LOL), and passes in front of all the houses, so no one has to sit out in the cold :lol:

ennay:
Happy 2 months to your baby!!

Melissa:
Yeah, if I couldn't give it away, I'd be dead!

Calejo:
Here is how to post your pictures :)
1. Click in to the thread (so you are viewing all of the replies)
2. Click on the button in the top-left that says "Post Reply"
3. A little box will appear, with some images atop it (things to make your text bold, italic, coloured, etc)
4. Select the one that looks like a paper clip. A new box should pop up.
5. Select the button that says "Browse." Use this feature to navigate to where your picture is saved on your computer.
6. Click "Attach"

There a go!

Jasmine:
Congrats on the loss!!! Evil, evil HFCS! And you're right, it will be rough, but I'm going to try to make the most of it. Get some things done around the house that I otherwise wouldn't have time to do with him around. And no dual suppers for 2 weeks!!

ennay 12-03-2006 04:52 PM

Broke down yesterday and bought some jeans. I cleared out my fat pants last fall when we moved ...good strategy except when you are planning to get pregnant. So I have basically one pair of jeans that after 30 minutes I can pull off without unbuttoning - they had been stored with my maternity clothes. I didnt even know what size they were

Mervyns here is going out of business and everything is 40% off. They had the same brand & style of at least on of my pairs of size 10's I bought summer '05. I tried on the 12's and they button with pain and serious muffin tops, so I am not going to be in the 10's anytime soon. I bought 1 pair of 14's (where I am now) and 2 pairs of 12's for this spring. Hopefully I'll be back in the 10's by this summer.

miafluker 12-03-2006 05:23 PM

congrats ennay ill be glad when i feel comfortable putting on my jeans how is everyone? corn is okay? im going to check out this list because i love corn

martiniforme 12-04-2006 12:36 AM

I lied!
Well, not really, but I did make a mistake. In saying I walked 4.5mph, I was wrong. It's only 4mph. Eep :o

martiniforme 12-04-2006 12:40 AM

Meal Plan: Monday, December 4, 2006

B: 1 cup 1% Milk, 1 scoop Slim Fast Optima
S: 1 sv (100g) LF Yogurt
L: 1 sv Chkn Gumbo
S: 2 LF Rice Cakes, 2 tbsp PB
D: 2 Chicken Fajitas (no sauce, 2oz skim mozza)
S: 1 mini bag PopSmart Popcorn

W: 3000mL

E:
30 min Circuit (gym), 45 minute walking DVD (4mph)

loveandlaughalways 12-04-2006 02:20 AM

:D Thank you so much for those kind words martini about my picture and the beach. I just remember how I used to look. Oh well that's what i'm here for, to lose weight. Even if it takes me 3 years, i'm going to do it!

Do you think it matters how fast we walk as to how long we walk? I've heard different stories. Walk faster work out less... you know. I get so lazy sometimes and the only thing I can do is make myself get off the chair and just start walking slow, but sometimes I start walking then i start to feel like going faster and faster. It's amazing our bodies. Sometimes you just have to make yourself start...and your body does the rest.:D I know it definately matters on the intake. i learned that lesson this week as I gained a pound and a half. i counted calories sometimes but not all week like I should. :o But husband was home...hmmm excuses, excuses!!! I have to quit.

I have kept up my exercise though. I did 90 minutes yesturday and today after church met my friend, his family, his friend, and his family, with my family (if that isn't confusing, LOL:D ) and played basketball for an hour and then flag football for an hour. It was alot of fun and believe me I was sweating. I didn't play that great, but then neither did anyone else. There was a few good players, but not all the players were good.

Jasmine you are awesome!! congrats on your weight lose!!
:cheer2: :woohoo: :congrat:

Ennay I love corn too. I never knew how healthy it was!! Wow, 9.25 miles, that is awesome. When I was young (10-11) I used to run 6-10k runs. Jogged every day 5 miles and remember loving the challenge. I hope to sometime get there again if my feet will permit. Congrats on being able to buy new clothes!!:congrat: :encore: :woohoo:

Hun.e.b. :goodluck: Goodluck with your classes and finals. Boy I know that is stress, stress, stress!! Go get a pedicure, manicure and facial when your done. The same day!! It does wonders.

Didn't realize I had soo much to say. Goodnight to all and all a Goodnight (or however it goes, :D :flow1:)

Canuk4 12-04-2006 03:44 AM

Hello everyone, you are all so informative, on such a variety of things it is truly amazing. Congrats to all who lost weight. School finishing, baby two months WOW time really flies, I can't believe how far you can run already!
I must admit being in Canada some of our foods are much more expensive, but buying in bulk, certainly seems to be the answer. Some food like the bread, I have not heard of here. Did not do so well this weekend, it was our 25th wedding anniversary last Monday and everyone wanted to celebrate, so too many meals out (Kids treated us to two nights at the Pillar & Post Motel and Spa, where we had gone for our honeymoon, in Niagara-On-The-LaKe). then dinner with champagne with brother & wife, then dinner with school friend and husband. Way too many calories, drinks and no exercise. Tomorrow is a better day, here is hoping, I can get everything going on the diet scene. Thanks for all the info. Sharon

miafluker 12-04-2006 08:10 AM

good morning everyone! martiniforme i noticed you plan your menu ahead is it hard to stick to it? im having a problem with that right now

Hun.e.B 12-04-2006 09:20 AM

Good morning ladies!! I hope everyone had a great weekend! Mine was okay, pretty uneventful. I've lost my focus! Not good! I need to get that ol journal out and figure out why. Busy busy week for me!

Mia....failing to plan is planning to fail! Jasmine and Mande are pros at that planning and you'll see they are having some great success. I think the thing with planning is that when you make it...you've gotta stick to it! You've just gotta make that commitment to yourself and do what you set out to do. You are worth it!

Sharon...Congrats on 25 years!! What an amazing accomplishment! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, and deserved it!! Back on track today though!! You can do it!

Loveandlaugh...I dont think it matters how 'fast' you walk so much as when you walk that its at a brisk pace. And then for at least 30 minutes. The idea is to get that heart pumping. Even walking slow at least its moving and not sitting in the chair! Way to go on that 90 minutes!!!

Mande...you rock!!!! 4mph is cruisin!!

ennay...those 12s are yours!!! Way to go lady!! I used to really like Mervyns. We dont have them here but we had em in Phoenix...great sales when they had em! Way to go on that run!!! I'd say 10s by next summer for sure!!

Jasmine...I think I might try a little baking with splenda this year too. Still gotta stay out of it but I can make it a little healthier right! Do you use applesauce instead of oil or butter and all that too? Speaking of enchiladas I was supposed to make them this weekend and just didnt have time to...probably a good thing! LOL!!

Alright time to hit the showers. I got a perm this weekend and I can finally wash my hair today...styling it should be LOADS of fun...its way curlier than I'd hoped for. Ah the pains of being fabulous! LOL!! Have a great day everyone!

~melissa

dollypie 12-04-2006 10:59 AM

Okay down two pounds today and am excited about that! Only two more pounds until I hit 150. My goal weight is to be at 135, but anything under 150 and I am feeling pretty darn good about myself! Had a pretty good weekend and even bought myself some new clothes, size 12 petites and they are a little lose, but the 10 petites were so tight. I just have a weird body. So I have a non-scale victory of sorts to share. The other day DH, I, and friends were hanging out in the front yard as they were leaving. As they left DH turned to me picked me up and gave me a kiss. Let's just say that DH has not picked me up in quite sometime and I am always over conscious about my weight. That was a big victory. When I said put me down I am too heavy, he said yeah right you are light as a feather. Okay I don't think so but it sure felt good coming from him though. Thought I would share because that made my workout on the treadmill yesterday that much more enjoyable, if it can be enjoyable.

Okay not a big corn fan unless it is on the cob and super fresh and sweet. I do like my g-ma's corn casserole, but with the sour cream, butter, cheese, and cream cheese not in my eating plan.

Hun.e.B: Having a good mindset about getting back on track is the right attitude to have!

Canuk4: Congratulations on the 25! Don't worry it only happens once and you deserve to celebrate! DH and I celebrate our 5th this year.

loveandlaughalways: Flag football sounds like so much fun! Isn't great when you exercise and don't even realize it.

ennay: you are really get in to the routine after the baby, way to go!

martiniforme 12-04-2006 11:10 AM

Will post personals later. Must get sleep. Wanted to share this.

Trans-Fat Facts .com

Check it out. I found it somewhat interesting. I found it while reading Consumer Freedom facts about PETA (gotta say, not overly impressed with them).

What I like about Consumer Freedom is that they're like Adbusters. They've got nothing to lose in uncovering the truth. They're like super journalists!

Jasmine31 12-04-2006 12:47 PM

ennay:

Yes enjoy the lil one while you can! My youngest is Katy and she just turned 3 today! My bro just had a new baby last nite in N. Carolina(his wife) and I wish I was out there!! 9.25 miles of running? Girl that is awesome!!! I am lucky to run for brief spurts here and there. haha Glad to hear you got a few pairs of pants! That will give you incentive as well!!

miafluker:

Quote:

corn is okay? im going to check out this list because i love corn
Well I am not an expert so don't take anything I say as the gospel truth! haha I do try to research things and I do think that link on the healthy foods list has some great info so please read it and decide what is right for you. I LOVE corn too! So I will proibably add it back in a few days a week, cals allowing. Just be careful cause it does have like 170 cals per half ear! I also read what it said about how the nutrients in some "studies" it didn't look like it had many because they are a lil more complex and not easily readable. I think you know what I mean. Just read it. :D

This is the other "list" I go by, "the superfoods list" it also mentions corn as a sidekick to oats. I tend to trust these two list of foods and what I love most about the worlds healthiest foods list is it tells you exactly why! That was a big help in me intaking more fruits and veggies! I am the typoe I want to know WHY something is good for you!

The superfoods list with sidekicks (from Superfoods RX by Pratt - books 1 & 2)

Corn

I am reposting that link in case anyone missed it!

loveandlaughalways:

Quote:

Thank you so much for those kind words martini about my picture and the beach. I just remember how I used to look. Oh well that's what i'm here for, to lose weight. Even if it takes me 3 years, i'm going to do it!
Do not get frustrated over time, as long as you are walking toward being healthy! I am a lil sad sometimes since this journey has taken me since the end og June 2005. But I remind myself that I have been making healthier changes slowly and the difference is they are permanent lifestyle changes! That is much better than someone who crash diets and eats healthy for a few months then goes back to pigging out!

Quote:

Do you think it matters how fast we walk as to how long we walk? I've heard different stories. Walk faster work out less... you know. I get so lazy sometimes and the only thing I can do is make myself get off the chair and just start walking slow, but sometimes I start walking then i start to feel like going faster and faster.
The best thing to do first is to make it a habit! Be consistent about going and build up more days from there, then work on more time, then work on speed!! You don't want to wear yourself out! I have also heard that it does take a while of walking, like 30 minutes to get your heart really pumping to get to a higher cal burning level. But if you have to break it up thruout the day it is better to do that than not at all. Great job on all the exercise! Keep it up and it will pay off! It is very beneficial to your heart!
Quote:

Jasmine you are awesome!! congrats on your weight lose!!
Thanx hun!!

Canuk4:

Congrats on 25 years hun!! That is great!! I am glad you enjoyed your anniversary. I sure would of to! It was only a few days though and now you can get back to work! We have to allow ourselves a break every now and then or we will go insane! :D

miafluker:

Good morning!

Hun.e.B:

Quote:

I've lost my focus! Not good! I need to get that ol journal out and figure out why. Busy busy week for me!
Get out some pics of you thinner and focus on that! Think about all the health problems you can avoid by eating healthy and exercising!

Quote:

Jasmine...I think I might try a little baking with splenda this year too. Still gotta stay out of it but I can make it a little healthier right! Do you use applesauce instead of oil or butter and all that too? Speaking of enchiladas I was supposed to make them this weekend and just didnt have time to...probably a good thing! LOL
Sounds good hun! I have been using extra virgin olive oil and had not heard of apple sauce, sounds good, tell me more!

Enchiladas...mmmm!! They are great when eaten in moderation. Have a cup of beans and spanish(brown) rice with it and that will fill you up!

A perm? Great! It will not be so curly soon!

dollypie:

Quote:

Okay down two pounds today and am excited about that! Only two more pounds until I hit 150.
Wow! That is great!!! You are doing wonderful hun!! I would be stoked about 150!!!

Quote:

Had a pretty good weekend and even bought myself some new clothes, size 12 petites and they are a little lose, but the 10 petites were so tight.
Great! You will get to the 10's soon!!

Quote:

As they left DH turned to me picked me up and gave me a kiss.
Awww so sweet! My dh always wants to do that to me too and I keep telling him wait til I lose more!! :lol:

Quote:

Okay not a big corn fan unless it is on the cob and super fresh and sweet.
I love corn on the cob and corn tortillas!! I did also read something that says to make sure it is fortified with lime to help get the nutrients! (not the fruit!)

Jasmine31 12-04-2006 12:48 PM

I am feeling a lil blah this a.m. cause of my throat but wanted to say hello to everyone and good luck with exercising and eating right today. :D One more day til I hit the grocery store for the big shopping for the month so I will be on the bus alot tomorrow and maybe the next day. haha I actually like grocery shopping so that is a great thing! :D

Anyhow yesterday we had our red meat and potato day and I did okay on cals, walked 30 minutes AND did my pilaties for dummies and my 8 minute abs! I am hoping to be fairly good today and maybe even lose for tomorrow. Last month I told myself to wait til the end of the month for pizza, then my daughters b~day is today so I stretched it saying wait til that day. :lol: dh gets paid tomorrow so will probably have pizza tomorrow nite. I am also going to count that as my out to eat trip as well so I don't over do it this week.

I need to make a rough menu plan for the month, just what I need to get. I checked my deep freezer and surprisingly enough we still have a ton of chicken left from last month! I have 4 four pound packs of frozen breast pieces, like flash frozen, and then 4 packs of like 4 pound packs of the other. We also have two turkeys left! and one roast. This is probably due to the fact around turkey day we made two turkeys and have been having a ton of beans! For like two weeks! I think we have had chicken maybe twice in two weeks.

That is good since the kids are going to be home for like 2 weeks this month and 1 week next month! I am going to plan for lots of beans and rice. haha I also heard together they make a complete, protein something like that.

I should get them lots of oatmeal for breakfast! Cheap and nutritious!
Okay I am not an oatmeal lover so someone please give me the 411 on what kind to get that is good for you and doesn't have hidden bad stuff!! Thanx!

I am definately picking up the ground turkey for our chili beans and sphgetti. Yum!! I need to get more spices too.

Mande:I am going to look at that link. Thanx for posting it! I love stuff like that! Where is their "main" website?

loveandlaughalways 12-04-2006 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here goes the meal plan:

Breakfast:
3 lite sausage=120 calories
3/4 cup oatmeal with 1/2 apple=186 cal
1/2 large orange=44 cal
total of 350 calories

Lunch:
salad with 3.5oz fresh crab meat and 64g fat free italian dressing=130cal

snack:
1c fresh strawberries

Dinner:
chicken enchiladas homemade low cal no sugar
salad with ff italian
corn

Jasmine31 12-04-2006 12:54 PM

You posted pics! So yummy!! We all need to post more pics of food! :D That is one thing I like is when a cook book shows a pic. I am much more willing to try it!

martiniforme 12-04-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasmine31 (Post 1488672)
Mande:I am going to look at that link. Thanx for posting it! I love stuff like that! Where is their "main" website?

Just a really quick reply!

The Centre For Consumer Freedom

Calejo 12-04-2006 01:14 PM

Ok, this is the big weigh-in day for me. Only one problem. My scale is old and not trustworthy. I used my 5 lb. plate to adjust it and then weighed myself. I've adjusted my tickers accordingly and I will be getting a new scale soon (just kinda broke atm). This is also why I measure myself. It's useful to be sure that I am still making progress (even if the scale doesn't show it) and fun to see the difference in measurements! I have surgery on my mouth today so I can't eat at all until after the surgery is over (and not sure what I'll be able to eat after it), but I'll try to control myself. :halffull: I'm just so hungry! NO food and NO liquids. I don't think I can even chew gum! sigh, oh well! Christmas is around the corner and I really want to make it to 170 before then! anyway, I'll ttyl all and wish me luck! ;)

ennay 12-04-2006 01:51 PM

Jasmine --oatmeal
Best - steel cut - be warned it takes a long time to cook. If you dont like oatmeal, you may like it better as it has a "nuttier" flavor, some like it soaked overnight to reduce morning cook time and make it more tender
2nd best - old fashioned rolled oats
3rd best - Kashi instant - instant oatmeals have less fiber, but this is kashi, so it has fiber and protein (and isnt JUST oats) it is sweetened however
4th best - instant plain. at this point you might as well eat cheerios.

there are some higher fiber instants now, fiber added back in, most either have a ton of sugar or a ton of splenda

jcatron243 12-04-2006 03:25 PM

HI gals, I'm not going to post personals today, I just feel terrible and I am going to get back into bed until the Ibprofen kicks in. Congrats to those of you who have lost!!! I want to kick it up a notch, I have a few new incentives but I have 26 pounds to lose before I get them (new sexy gifts from victoria's secret and a night alone with DH). I really want to get to that point by valentines day.

Ennay~You are in OR, Right?? Mervyns here in WA are closing as well. I went x-mas shopping on friday. I was excited because we spent $125.00 and SAVED $133.00 I hate that they are leaving, but the deals were great!! The clothes part of gifts for the kids are done!!! :)

dollypie 12-04-2006 03:27 PM

Okay I am confused b/c my doctor says oatmeal is oatmeal, it is just a texture thing. I looked on the Quaker oatmeal website and found that steel-cut, old-fashioned, and quick cook plain oatmeal all have the same nutrition value including the amount of fiber. If I am wrong please enlighten me...because I am confused.

http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourP...Oats/index.cfm

Jasmine31 12-04-2006 03:33 PM

I hope you feel better Jeni!

Thanx for posting that ennay!

Dolly I know it can be so confusing but I did read something the other day when I was looking at the worlds healthies ....links, I read about how steel cut something or other, takes longer to digest, therefore it doesnot let your blood sugars rise as rapidly. (Kind of like simple carbs vs. complex carbs) DONT QUOTE ME ON THAT! lol I know I was looking at brown rice, maybe it is in that link

let me go look

Jasmine31 12-04-2006 03:47 PM

I didn't find it yet but seen this. Buy organic brown rice! Sheesh! This is rediculous! How the **** can they even sell us all this stuff that is not organic if it is so bad for us!!!

Brown Rice

Quote:

Non-Organic Rice May Contain Traces of Arsenic

Research conducted by Andrew Mehanrg and colleagues from the University of Aberdeen in Scotland has found that rice grown in the U.S. contains from 1.4 to 5 times more arsenic than rice from Europe, India or Bangladesh. However, the U.S. rice contains less of the most toxic species of arsenic than the rice tested from other nations.

U.S. long grain rice had the highest mean arsenic levels at 0.26μg/g with the highest concentration at 0.4 μg/g.

Indian rice had the least arsenic at 0.05μg/g.

Rice from Bangladesh contained the same amount of arsenic as rice from Europe at 0.15 μg/g.

Low doses of arsenic, such as those found in Meharg's survey, do not cause acute illness; however, long term exposure may increase cancer risk. Higher levels of exposure can affect various organs including the skin and the respiratory, cardiovascular, immune, genitourinary, reproductive, gastro-intestinal and nervous systems.

Despite U.S. rice containing the highest concentrations of arsenic, it is difficult to evaluate the possible toxicity of the rice that was tested because inorganic arsenic is five to ten times more toxic than organic arsenic. In the U.S. rice, only 42% of the arsenic was inorganic compared to 81% in the Indian rice, 80% in the Bangladeshi and 64% in European rice. But, as the authors point out, organic arsenic can still cause health problems.

The arsenic contamination of U.S. rice may be the result of earlier cotton farming, which relied on arsenic-based pesticides. Land previously used to grow cotton is now used to cultivate rice, particularly in Mississippi and Arkansas.

When rice was first grown in these states, the crops often failed due to straighthead, an arsenic-induced disease. Varieties of rice were developed that are resistant to straighthead, but this increased the risk of arsenic accumulation in apparently healthy grains. The U.S. is currently reviewing all arsenic-based pesticides. At the World's Healthiest Foods, we recommend erring on the side of safety. Choose organically grown rice whenever possible. For any crop to be labeled as organic, including rice, stringent testing of soils for contaminants, including arsenic, must be passed.

Jasmine31 12-04-2006 03:48 PM

Calejo:

I prayed for you about your surgery!! I hope everything goes fine hun!!! Good luck!!!

ennay 12-04-2006 03:57 PM

my...daughter....is....getting...on ....my....last....nerve. She has just figured out that I cant physically force her to do stuff if I am holding the baby. I hate days like today where I feel like all our interaction is negative. We were having a good time on our weekly pizza outing and as soon as I picked up ds...whammo. She turned into whiny bratty toddler.

Jasmine31 12-04-2006 03:59 PM

Okay so it seems tom is just around the corner! I got the food bingies today. I feel blah, and don't even feel like going to see dh at lunch time. They changed the schedules back to 2 10-7's which we hate and 3 8-5's. It don't make much of a difference cause when they changed it it was 2 weeks of 8-5 and then one week of 10-7. *sigh* Anyhow he works late tonite. I just want to stay home and get stuff organized with kids clothing today. Summer/winter, etc. I am all out of fruit, yogurt and bread!

I had a slimfast for breakfast, 1 cup of boneless/skinless ch. breast for lunch with 3 warm taco shells and that still was not enough! I even had 1 serving of cashews which I have not had in like a week due to babying my mouth. And believe it or not, I was STILL hungry!

I think it may be because no fruit or yogurt for breakfast. :( Then usually at lunch the ezekiel bread with peanut butter keeps me satiated but no, none of that today! Arrrggghhhhh. I ain't fretting tomorrow is grocery day.

So I go looking in the kitchen AGAIN to see what to eat! I seen some left over sp. sauce and some noodles and was thinking of having one serving of each. BUT the sauce is also NOT the one lower in cals its the target brand so that would be 100 for .50 a cup! The noodles are 200 for 1 serving. 300 more cals sheesh!! And the sad thing is I KNOW I am not hungry but my head is telling me to eat! But i was scared that would not be enough and that I would want more!

BUT I looked in the freezer and seen something to save the day! Hebrew National Kosher Hot dogs. Only 50 cals each and 1.5 grams of fat! So that pot I was boiling I stuck those in instead and saved 200 cals!!! Whoohooo! I am buying more in case I have an emergency next month! :lol:

My cals so far today:

858 cals/fat 36%/carbs 23%/protein 41%

That is crazy! I guess I really wanted that protein! haha The fat still isn't bad cause that will go down later when I have beans for dinner. :D Thank God that can be my saving grace tonite!! I can still have a low cal/low fat day if I eat beans and a few taco shells plus veggies for dinner which I plan on doing. I am going to look now and add some stuff in for later and see where I would wind up.

Jasmine31 12-04-2006 03:59 PM

Awww Ennay, how old is she?

Jasmine31 12-04-2006 04:05 PM

Oh I am also happy to report that I am NOT hungry now! hahahahahah Yeah me!!! If I add in two cups of beans, 2 corn tortillas, .50 a cup of carrots and .50 of broccoli I will be at 1485 for the day, 24 % fat/ carbs 40%/ protein 35%

ennay 12-04-2006 04:06 PM

I'm pretty sure you are right Jasmine, that the absorption of is slower in less processed oats. Now what the doctor might have been referring to in the opinion that it is all the same is cholesterol reduction, in which case fiber is king.

Let me see what I can find

ennay 12-04-2006 04:11 PM

steel cut oats = glycemic index 42
Old fashioned = GI 48
Instant unsweetened = GI 65

ennay 12-04-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasmine31 (Post 1488914)
Awww Ennay, how old is she?

She'll be 3 in January. She likes ds a lot, but she is at that age where "what can I get away with" rules. I tossed her in bed for her nap (not that she is sleeping) without even taking her potty first, so I am sure she will wet/poop her diaper (only wears them for sleeping)

JasonsLea 12-04-2006 04:21 PM

Hey everyone! How are you all doing? I'm doing okay, just got done pulling a double (something I will NEVER EVER do for this dept AGAIN!!!) and I'm going to the gym after I get out of the computer lab. Yall preparing for Christmas?

dollypie 12-04-2006 04:50 PM

Thanks ennay for the clarification. I see where you are coming from now.