Had the baby, now getting fit

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Hi!
    Hi everyone! Man, I had a crappy diet weekend - DH brought Chili's Chicken Ceasar Salad and Awesome Blossom home for dinner on Friday, and that just kicked things off all wrong. We won't even talk about Saturday - but it involved going to the movies, and every bad diet thing that you can do there... Oh well, I started fresh this morning, and so far, so good. I didn't get much exercise either, except for walking around the mall while doing some shopping. I just made brownies to take to a neighbor who unexpectedly brought over a baby gift, and I didn't even lick the bowl. I immediately washed it out, along with anything else that had brownie batter on it. Score one for me.

DH let me go to bed early on Friday night, at 8:30, and then he came to bed after he got the baby to sleep at 10:15. Then she slept until 6AM. It was so great, I felt terrific yesterday. But last night she was up at 2:45, and again at 5:30. Waaaaah!

Jen, I use the ready to feed. It is expensive, but that's what I was using when I was half breastfeeding, half formula feeding her, and when I tried switching her to powder it really upset her stomach - her poop was all mucousy because her stomach lining got upset. There was nothing wrong with the powder, it was just switching her from something she was used to, to something else, that did it. So we keep her on it. I don't know the answer to if you can use formula if they don't eat it all - I've been throwing it out too, because I wasn't sure. So if someone knows, I'd love to hear... I use playtex nursers, and I just toss out the lining, and then wash and dry the nipples after each feeding. I sterilized them when I got them, but I haven't since then. Yikes, maybe I should?

I love the Baby Whisperer book too, although I haven't had much luck with putting things into practice... that's where I got the cluster feeding idea from.

Geneve, I love your posts, they just make me chuckle... You have a definite style to your writing - your personality really comes through....

Barb, I hope they are able to tell you something at your doctor's appointment. My sister had thyroid surgery recently, and has lost about 40 pounds without even trying since then. Man, I wish something was wrong with MY thyroid. (kidding, of course) Wow, Isabella is almost a crawler! I can't believe that Megan will be able to do that in a few months. It seems impossible! :> Are you nervous about her being mobile?

Megan is 9 weeks on Tuesday, I can hardly believe it. On the other hand, it seems like she's always been a part of our family, I can't picture it without her... :>

Take care guys,
    Sue

245 (day before delivery)
    225 (when started WW)
    217 (present)
    155 (goal)
  • Sue - Drake's stool has changed colour too from going from the powder to the concentrate but otherwise he seems okay. My mom knows a woman that didn't sterilize any of her bottles or nipples and her son is now a healthy 6 year old so I don't know what to say about the sterilization issue. Until I hear different I guess I will continue to sterilize though I would love to be able to just do them in the dishwasher or sink.

I had a pretty bad weekend too, not necessarily eatingwise but I didn't get any exercise in and was just plain bored silly. The DH has usually been out of the house a lot and he was home all weekend practically which kind of upset my usual routine plus he wasn't feeling well so that just made it worse. I feel like I have to hang around when he is home and when he is like this he doesn't want to do anything or go anywhere. Oh well, hopefully next weekend will be better, we have my SIL's wedding on Saturday.

We need to decide on a name as this thread is definately getting too long, does anyone have any other suggestions?
  • No suggestions for a name. I am hopelessly uncreative when it comes to things like that.

I like this going to later pages because I subscribe to it. At least this way I get an e-mail reminder when someone responds. It sort of reminds me to respond and reminds me to keep in touch. If I didn't do this I would loose touch and become history much faster.

barb
  • Morning all. Boy is it ever quiet in here these past few days. Everyone must be busy with their babies. Drake has been his usual handful. I feel that I have accomplished a lot if I can get anything done besides look after him and try to get some sleep. He is still waking up in the night, well he's only 7 weeks old so what am I expecting?

How was everyone's Halloween? We didn't stay home and give out candy, we had to go and pick up my hubby's tux for a wedding this weekend and then we went to his sister's to see her new house and visit with them for a bit. We are going to be busy, Friday night is the wedding rehersal and Saturday is the wedding. My husband is giving his sister away so needless to say he has to be around all day for pictures etc etc. We are taking Drake with us, any tips about taking the baby out for several hours? I just hope he doesn't start crying during the ceremony.

Still getting out regularly for my walks with the baby, about the only effort I am making towards exercise. The diet is good, I'm not eating much junk anyway.

I can hardly believe that it is November already, seems like just yesterday we were complaining about the heat and humidity.

Well take care all, I hope everyone is getting lots of sleep!
  • Hellloooooo!!!!!! any one home?????

Well I had a bad day yesterday, ended up eating practically all of a big bag of chips. I felt so bad afterwards. UGH! Why did I do it? I was hungry and I was reading a book and thoughtlessly filling my face and before you know it a bag of chips is almost all gone. I might just as well eaten the whole thing. Otherwise the day wasn't too bad, I did get my walk in so it wasn't all bad.

Baby actually slept 4 1/2 hours last night before waking up for some formula. I've tried just giving him a pacifier with no luck, he wants food even though he only takes a couple of ounces. I've read too about giving babies diluted formula instead of full strength and increasing the dilution gradually til it is mostly water and they won't bother to wake up just to take water. Anyone done this?

I hope someone checks in again soon, I'm going batty talking to myself.
  • Hi!!!!!
    Hi there! Sorry that I haven't checked in. It's been a crazy couple of days - doctors appointments, dentist appointments, work, Halloween - crazy. And this weekend is really full too - a party tonight, helping my brother move tomorrow, stuff with DH's family tomorrow night, and my mom's birthday on Sunday. Whew, we'll need a weekend AFTER the weekend.

Jen, I've heard of the formula thing, but haven't tried it. It sounds logical though. I think that TIME was what solved Megan's waking up at night every 3 hours, rather than anything I did. I'll bet you that by the time Drake is 9 weeks old, he'll be sleeping for 6-7 hours at a stretch... Doesn't make it any easier right NOW though, I know. This week Megan has finally gotten over needing to be held for her daytime naps. (Before this week she absolutely wouldn't sleep by herself). I'm probably jinxing it by saying something about it. Watch, today she'll wake up if I don't hold her... She is also starting to lengthen out her daytime naps now, FINALLY. She usually only sleeps for 30 minutes at a time - she slept for 1.5 hours in the morning yesterday, and 3 HOURS (!!!) in the afternoon. Those are the longest naps she's ever taken, in her LIFE. I was shocked, and kept checking on her to see if she was alive, LOL. I'm hoping she will do it again today, that it wasn't just a fluke. I got so much done yesterday afternoon.

Did everyone have a good Halloween? Megan was a ducky. She was cute, but her costume was pretty lame. I procrastinated buying her a costume until, ahem, October 31st. So of course there was nothing left. Her costumer was just a thin yellow sleeper with a hood on it. The hood had a thin little felt beak. Oh well. She's cute anyway. We went to a big party our church threw for the neighborhood - called a Trunk or Treat. Everyone brings their cars down to the church parking lot, decorates the trunks and gives out candy to the kids. There must have been 50-60 cars, and HUNDREDS of kids. It was great. There were some really adorable kids. We vastly underestimated how much candy we would need though, so we were all out in about 10 minutes, hee! Halloween was a success for me, because I didn't eat a single piece of candy. I wasn't even tempted. YAY! I feel like I'm getting in the swing of this dieting thing.

I am LOVING Weight Watchers. It is so easy, I can't believe it. This is the first time since I've been married that I've been able to stay on a diet for longer than a week. How sad is that! I actually think that I can do this. The only sucky thing is that it will take SO long to lose all of this weight. I already have the baby weight off, but it doesn't make that much difference since I got pregnant at such a heavy weight. That's the hard part - staying motivated when losing is so slow. Plus, I have so much to lose, that nobody will even notice that I'm losing weight until I've lost like, 50 pounds. Because even after I lose 25, I'll still be so chunky that I won't look much different, you know? It's a bummer....

Megan went to the doctor, she weighs 13 pounds, and is 23 inches long. :> She had 3 shots, but did really well with them - hardly cried at all, and they didn't seem to affect her afterwards. Not like last time she got a shot - last time she cried for 15 minutes afterwards, and was cranky for days.

I'm going to try to be better about posting every day - I hope everyone else will give it a shot too? I really don't want this thread to die - I don't know about you ladies, but I really need the support. Thanks Jen, for keeping us alive, LOL. OK, this was the longest post in the history of posting. If any of you made it this far, you have far too much time on your hands, LOL. :> Sorry for the length, guess I stored up things to say.
    Take care everyone, and post, post, post! :>

Sue
  • You are not alone. I have just been too busy to write.

The kids are home from school and I have mine and some extras.

Barb
  • I had a nice long reply typed in and somehow it got dumped. Figures. I had a really miserable evening last night and I was venting about it. The DH is being a miserable so and so. I don't even want to go there again. Basically he says to me that he is depressed, feels like a failure and has no joy or happiness in his life. Well of course I get upset and he can't understand why. Then this morning he gets all angry when the alarm goes off. He stayed up til 1am and he is up at 6:15am and he is wondering why he is tired? Actually the baby slept through most of that so he can't blame the baby for keeping him awake. I'm not going to go into it again, right now I just want to go back to bed while the baby is sleeping. I'll check in again later.
  • Jen, sometimes I think we share a life -or at least a husband. I have been attributing this (well at least my husbands malaise) to a midlife crisis. He is turning 40 in a few months.

Hang in there!

I am totally getting depressed. I know I have gained weight since the baby was born and I can't go any further up! I have an appointment at the doctors on Thursday. Let's hope they can help. I don't think I am eating enough to cause this increase in size and I refuse to buy bigger clothes!!!!!

Barb
  • Jen, I'm sorry that you're having such a crappy time of it. That's a rotten thing for your hubby to say to you. Sheesh, sometimes I wonder if they LISTEN to what they are saying. How on earth would saying something like that improve things... Hugs to you...

Barb, I'm getting depressed too. I went through my closet the weekend before last and donated a BUNCH of clothes to the Goodwill, and packed up my maternity clothes, so that I can't wear them anymore. So I have about, um, four outfits that I can wear right now. And I refuse to buy new fat clothes too. Well, hang in there. I hope that the doctor's visit is productive for you...

I got on the scale for my weekly weigh in, and found that I had maintained, and not lost. I am majorly bummed. I did SO WELL last week - went to THREE parties this weekend (a record for me), and was so good - didn't cheat once. Helped my brother and sister in law move on Saturday, ran up and down the stairs about a hundred times carrying heavy boxes. And no loss. What the #$%@*!?! I'm hoping that I'm retaining water and will see a big loss next week. But I'm bummed. Hey, I could have cheated and gotten the same result. Oh well. I'm trying to shake it off.

Had a huge fight with my mom last night after a family birthday party. Won't go into it, but she drives me batty. Well, she drives ALL of her daughters up a wall. Ugh.

Take care all,
    Sue

Saying - "We can do this!" "I think." "Maybe." "Oh, shoot, just give me a cookie......"
  • I can't believe it has been this long since I made it to these boards, so so busy. I can relate to the gaining weight after the baby. I gained 28.5 with Ryan and within two weeks of delivery I lost 33.5 but sadly enough I have put 6 back on. It isn't any wonder, on Friday I was so bored, can you imagine having time to be bored with a three month old, anyway by 10 am I had eaten a bowl of cereal an entire box of macaroni and cheese and a glass of diet coke. I was so sick I put the baby down and ran to the washroom thinking I'd be sick. I really need to get back on track. I have been exercising a little, atleast a little more then ever but I still need to get back on the WW123. I'd appreciate any suggestions you all can give to get and stay motivated. I turned 37 yesterday and can't believe I am this big still at this age. I Need Help!!!!!!! or a kick in the big butt!!!! wishing you all lots of rest and luck on getting fit.
    Mary
  • Well it sounds like we are all going through a rough patch. I thank goodness that I have my baby, right now it feels like he is the only bright spot in my life. I don't know how my husband can look at his beautiful son and think he is a failure and there is no joy and happiness in his life. The funny thing is that 5 minutes after saying all this he is down on the carpet with the baby playing with him. I just don't get it.

On the weightloss side I am maintain as well. Luckily I didn't buy a lot of maternity clothes, just a couple of pairs of loose pants. I had so many 'fat' clothes I didn't have to buy much of anything. Also being pregnant in the summer is good too because you can get away with shorts and t-shirts.

So what can we do to shake us out of this rut? I wish I knew.

I just got a phone call from the DH, he is still in a mood, worse than before. I can see that we are going to be fighting for a few days. Great, just what I need. Now I feel the urge to dive into the cookie jar but instead I think I will pick up baby and take him out for a walk. Take care all, hope you are having a better day than I am.
  • Oh no...sorry it's been so long, Kids got colds and I got an inner ear infection...and it was half term here too. Generally a nightmare. BUT I have managed to stay going to the gym, nothing to do iwht the fact they have a free creche!!! Have beem hanging on to the exercise bike with the world spinning round me. i haven't lost any weight but I know I am changing shape, my clothes feel different and a friend commented on how trim I was looking yesterday. I feel good, apart from thebalance problem.
    My brother clled in today and was trying to get me to try the California diet...sounds like slim fast to me, also a friend is raving about a blood type diet, but they are mere novicec in the world of doets, having tried all kinds i really don't think anything works apart from trying to make gradual changes in the way you eat...dieting does make you fat, and I have heard quitting heroin has a higher sucess rate than staying thin by dieting, so I'll stick at the gym, I'll learn to love my body when it is strong no matter what shape it is...or at least I'll try to. Don't you guys ever look at your bodies and think 'well, you may be fat but you make great babies'? I had that thought the other day and it cheered me up a treat...my lumpy old frame can still work miracles, think of all those models too skinny to reproduce....
    just a thought anyway. Hope you are all managing to cope with the babes.......
  • Can I join?
    Hi everyone

I used to post on the pregnant and keeping fit thread. Not that I did (keep fit!)

My dd is approaching 7 months old and I'm still carrying an extra 20 pounds. My problem is I eat like a horse (and breastfeeding cannot be the reason for all of it) - and lots of junk at that. I'm an emotional eater and went of anti-deps when I got pg. Also don't have the best relationship with my bf. BUT...

I'm ready to lose it now and get back to where I want to be. I'm in Australia, so in 3 weeks, summer starts. Even if it is too late to be slim this summer, it isn't too late to feel better about myself.

I'm forcing myself off to the gym right now. Ouch. Hope you don't mind me butting in and good day vibes to everyone
    S
    176 (9months pg)/150/130
  • Hi all. Well things are better on the homefront. The hubby and I had a talk about some stuff plus his work is better due to this guy that was giving him grief getting fired so things are looking a bit better. The baby is doing well, actually slept 5 1/2 hours straight last night, I feel human this morning! I have tried the cluster feeding and rice cereal in his formula but nothing so far is getting him to sleep any longer than that. Well time will probably take care of it faster than anything I can do. Dietwise was terrible yesterday, too many Halloween candies! Well they'll soon be gone and then I'll have Xmas treats to try and avoid. On the plus side I did drink 2 large bottles of water so that is something good at least.

Dreamer - you certainly are welcome to join in and post with us! Hope things are looking up with the bf.

Geneve - great work staying with the gym. That is a good point about being fat but making great babies! My hubby and I are both overweight but our baby is about the cutest thing going. I'd like to lose weight though so I can set him a good example.

Take care all, have a great day.