Old 10-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Sneaking in to see what is going on with my friends from around the world.

Birthday wishes to Suzi and Carla

Stay warm Happy. We are not used to this kind of cold.

Friday the 13th is here.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #62  

Thank you all for the lovely birthday greetings! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

It's amazing how quickly we adapt to getting up three hours later! Finding it tough to drag myself out of bed at what would be 11 am back home. Of course I'm much older today, which explains everything. The weather here is going to be wonderful again today, followed by some rain tomorrow. But it could be worse...

Holly, I just saw footage on Canada AM of the 16 (or was it 60?) cm of "heavy, lake-effect" snow you got yesterday (more today?) and hope you and DH have been driving very, very carefully. At this point no one will have snow tires on, and they've all forgotten how to drive in winter. In spite of the negatives though, I imagine the kids are having an absolute ball playing outdoors, and you and DH are burning off a gazillion calories shovelling. A perfect day for a nice comfy pot roast and a blazing fireplace, right?

Madcat, has the snow hit TO yet? I can't find your post about Niagara and the winery tour, so don't know if this is your weekend there. If it is, do drive carefully. (I'm beginning to sound like Elmer the safety elephant with all these warnings. Must be some latent, untapped, maternal instinct surfacing.) Once the snow hits, you'll be glad the new car is black and not white. My little Accent is a rather odd bright crayola green. It is easier to find in parking lots, if I can spot it down there under all the SUV's and vans, but I would have gone for something a little less showy had I bought it new. I do hope you have AC in your car - black tends to accentuate summer heat.

Meadow, how on earth could I have forgotten to mention you when I finally posted? Especially since I'm in your neck of the woods.

Shad, I'll have to try that plaster-down-the-bra trick. At last a solution to the effects of gravity! Seriously though, now I know how you manage to always find more to do, what with plastering, cleaning up going to the store, replastering... Sounds like my way of doing things, although I add on a cooldown and a giving up part.

Ceejay, how is work going these days? Is the new employee fitting in well?

Mel, it sounds like you're the go-to gal for just about everything around there. I do hope you saved at least one flu shot for yourself? Or do you pray for flu to get a few days off? Are you getting any of that weather?

Well, birthday or not, I've got to get dressed and off to work, a full day today, then friends and fun tonight. I'd complain and demand the day off, but I think the 35 min "day" of work yesterday was already pretty nice. I should do a Shad-like calculation to figure out what that worked out to per minute, especially with the per diem added in. One of the positives in my life: having the right skill at the right time to make quite a good living doing something I (usually) enjoy, often in rather nice places. Heck, this time they even put us in a hotel with comfy pillows!

Gotta go, I should have been washed and ready to roll by now. Coffee will have to wait until break, and they're used to the hair bumps by now anyway.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #63  
Smackin' into a Wall

For Suzi and Carla - a bit of a twist on the traditional tune....

The Other Happy Birthday Song
Tom Gardner and Danny Quinn

Your friends from far and near
Have all gathered here
To celebrate this day
Together we will say.....

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
May all your dreams and wishes come true
Happy birthday to you

Another year has gone
Since last we sang this song (k stretching this a bit)
We all remember when
And so we sing again...

May good fortune come to you
In all the things you do
In the year that lies ahead
Remember what we said.......

Have a great one, both of you. May your celebrations on opposite sides of the planet keep us all in balance today!

I'll be back later. Just wanted to get this post done just in case.

Last edited by Madcat; 10-13-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #64  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

I came back and no the phone call didn't take as long as all night.

Happy - Hope by now you have complained to the the salon. You pay enough money for these things and when you end up without the requested article it is a real let down. Especially with hair as fine as yours. Mine I don't need to worry about because 2 weeks later it is starting to grow out and never looks as bad. I understand your frustration even if I have never been on the end of a bad colour - only a bad haircut. I have to admit that C my hairdresser has been very careful to ensure I never had anyone but her cut since then either. I'm not sure whether this consideration is because of what I said or the fact that this salon chain has certain KPI's to be met each week, each month, etc and refunds are not part of them. Anyway to get back to yours - I hope you complained long and loud and although it won't give you any satisfaction for this 'do' I hope it makes them sit up and think.
I'm pleased that you did find some pics of our new home but I can't understand why you couldn't get to the link. It can't be a Kiwi thing since the Canadians can also get there. Maybe it is a Commonwealth thing - you know, united under Queen and Country and all that jazz. Or maybe it's because Americans own quite a bit of land in and around Queenstown (one bloke said that it was probably the furtherest spot on earth from any nuclear explosion!!) that the powers that be have closed the area to the USA. But whatever, you are right, it is a beautiful tranquil spot with views to die for.

Madcat - Whee, a black car! Black seems to be very popular at the moment, although this is probably the fashion designers rather than the bloke in the streat requesting it. Still enjoy the car. Have many happy hours of motoring in it and do as Carla says - drive carefully. Altogether now. Yes Mum!!
I did the Maid of the Mist when I did my bus tour of Niagara Falls and yes it is a great experience. I just found the plastic bag that they give you to keep you dry the other day. We didn't do any winery tours though and I have to admit to enjoying the odd glass of Ice Wine as well. It was raining in Niagara the day we went and we were not sure we could do a Helicopter ride at all until the last minute when the driver who had been keeping in touch with the airfield threw those who wanted a ride into the bus and sped off so we could get there before the weather closed in again. It was really magical and one could see the vastness of the water above the falls and then the Whirlpool below. I think I put some photos on my Webshots site. Well worth the expense.
As for - 'What can I have for lunch that isn't salad?'. It is difficult but how about thick vege soups or try LindaT's pumpkin chilli soup with Turkey. Or what about a warm salad - beans, tuna etc.
Please do not sing Christmas songs on this thread. Christmas is delayed this year because it is going back to the time it used to be when I was a kid - at least six months away!

Holly - hope by now that the ankle is just fine. Snow!! already! Good grief. Hope it all disappears by May when I get there and that the blossoms are in force rather than snow flakes. Oh and no floods or major catastrophes if it is at all possible please.

Mel - poor Willy. It is so hard to see a good bloke beaten down yet again. If these things must happen, why can't they happen to someone who does deserve it. Had to laugh at you flying out of your chair and landing up at the elevator doors. I shouldn't laugh but I did! Would have loved to see the faces of the Hispanoles!.
So you have the flu shots to do again!! Well, well, did we ever think it would be otherwise. You definitely need someone to help out with those forms or at least have them online. There's no way you can do it all on your own.

Carla - Hope you enjoyed your night out with the SF friend. Pizza and cake and champagne sound perfect if not all that diet friendly. Have you got a job like my last one where you only have to work for 1/2 hour per day and get per diem as well? I wouldn't have found it half as bad if I had somewhere like Vancouver to go to on my time off!! I would never have wanted to come home.
Your home decorating sounds a bit like mine. Why is it that when I can't find what I am looking for at home - tool or otherwise (and I know it is there somewhere) - I go down to the hardware store and spend more money than I wanted to, and the minute I get home the thing I was looking for in the first place practically greets me at the door? As for the elves messing up the place overnight, no they don't. The only person around there that makes a mess is me. I clean, sweep, dust etc. and vow that this time I will put things away in the right place at the right time but I never listen to myself anyway. I'm very slow with the reno's. Sometimes I even read directions on how to use things etc.
It is good to have you back posting.

Meadow - as always - wonderful graphics there.
I've never made hummous (hummus, hommus??) so have no idea whether you are doing it correctly or not. I tend to find it a bit bland although I have to admit that the last homemade one I had must have had an acre of garlic in it. Don't think I was nice to be near for quite some time! By Kiwi from NZ for breakfast I gather you mean the little brown outside, green inside, hairy egg shaped fruit - and not the little brown spotted Kiwi or the North Island Kiwi bird which is flightless and has a funny nose? That's alright then!!!. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving. Our party is going ahead. I have most of the food organised. The present is sorted, Tables, chairs, barbeques are sorted. Still haven't heard back from some of the prospective guests - hope that they don't expect me to mindread and magically appear at the airport at the right time for their planes. Or to magically conjure up accommodation for them at the last minute.

Okay - this is getting longer by the minute. And I have plenty to do today as well. A bit more plaster, some more paint, etc. Heck I might even put some on the walls and ceiling as well. Today is back to gym day with the Body Balance class. Last week the balance was just terrible. How come I can just about do it properly at home but can't in the gym? 8 minutes of pure agony and the embarrassment of nearly falling over several times. The rest of it is fine - just the balancing on one leg. Maybe I will turn up drunk one day and see if that helps!!!

Wave to all the silent but hopefully lurking members - PW, Teel, Tig, Raven, Roseblush

Last edited by Shad; 10-13-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #65  

Meadow, I have a foolproof hummus recipe that everyone really likes. In fact a middle-easterner once insinuated that I had bought it at a shawarma restaurant. If I don't forget, I'll send it to you once I get home. It's the standard type, no weird added flavours. It does require a blender, and is never quite as smooth as it should be - a food processor might be less likely to get clogged, but since I don't have one...

Madcat, thanks so much for the lovely song. More warm fuzzies!

Shad, sad to say, ths isn't one of the 30 min per day contracts, just a convention where it's hard for the organizers to forecast needs. Today was a total of just under 3 hours, and tomorrow should be about 3 as well. (Usually at conventions things just drag on and on and we do extra time, but this time I've lucked out.) So I've had a chance to enjoy more of the stunning weather, and tonight is pizza night. Not diet-friendly, but that's pretty normal these days.

Speaking of diets, my hotel room has scary mirrors: a full-length one facing the toilet, and full wall mirrors facing the bath/shower. So my capacity for self-delusion is taking a nasty beating, and I can no longer pretend that the extra 40 lbs "don't really show". Rather than dieting, of course, I could always drape all the mirrors in towels, or spray some fake snow on them. In fact, maybe Mel could help me spray on some strategically-spaced wreaths and santas. If she survives the joy of the jabs, that is.

Ta-ta for now!
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:39 AM   #66  

Shad- planning for perfect Spring weather. Tulips and daffodils and some shrubs will be blooming in May.

No rain or snow yet today. I need to get in the tub. Set the alarm early so I could bath.
The woman I will hopefully be working with is coming to help me today and then we are meeting after to discuss the job.

For the Canadians- I will standing( or squating planting tulips) outside Tim Hortons for 2 hours. Can you imagine the aroma. I WILL stay out of the goodies too.

Local paper will be taking pics. Hoping for a good hair day.

Last weekend we were walking the beach in short sleeves.This weekend I will be wearing a winter coat. So is life in the great white north.
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:39 AM   #67  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Default Saturday nights alright....la la la

I should have taken notes when I read because I think I just forgot most of it

Shad~ the look on the men's faces was total disbelief! If I hadn't been blocking the door, they would have jumped right out! While trying to get the "flab" off you have now taken to stuffing your bra with plaster??? How does that work in the scheme of things for getting numbers on the scale to go down. do let me know if it works and I will be glad to ask Sal to mix me up a batch!!

Meadow~ the birthday sign was adorable. Very talented lot we have here. Happy to hear about your wonderful holiday. Cracked me up to read aboput the hummus!!! ...but one of the most inventive ways I ever heard of using it in the soup!!! You get the prize for that!!!

Madcat~ Have you been toodling around in the new car???Inquiring minds want to know. That was good thinking about keeping the parking space. Parking everywhere seems to be like gold these days. You are one smart cat!
tHE BIRTHDAY POEM WAS VERY NICE. i HAVE NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE...ORIGINAL?? (oops caps)
:?
Happy~ I thought of you yesterday. The fall leaves were out and about flying around and the temp when I went shopping was a whopping 42!! I could see your pool area and shrubs with leaves in and around them. It was just a flashing thought as I left for the store. funny how the mind works.

Carla~I would have made a great traveler like you and Shad. Maybe in another life. I saved 2 shots for me and Jen!! Don't want to get the flu cause none of these numb nuts will take care of ME!!! So glad the accomodations were good and fluffy. Would have been a bummer on your BD to spend it in a dump. Maybe they can send you to Australia and you and Shad can travel the world together setting things and people right!!

Suzi~ your posts have been full of happiness and I am glad. both of your birthdays have made my week a lot brighter I must say. My daughter is going to help and of course we have the nurse giving the shots. She is looking for a helper now too! Hope your celebrations continue.

Ceejay~ sending hugs and love your way. It's been cold everywhere. I would not like to be living in Buffalo NY right now with their freakis snowstorm of 2 feet! if it gets much colder I am moving down by you and Happy and PW!

Holly~ we are definitely not moving up by you!! Too much cold and snow already and not even November yet!! Instead of the frost on the pumpkin it was on the TURKEYS!!!

the phone actually began ringing before 8:15.....good news travels fast. It feel lovely to be needed but this is a stretch. I put the computer on to tie up the line and a sign on the door. Plenty of flu shots for everyone and don't get excited. blah blah blah. No ringing doorbell as yet.
I did food shopping yesterday. Spacing my chores and pacing myself. willy is back to normal and you won't believe how it happened. We had a bit of a run in and I made him laugh by yelling at him. it's a long story and I'll save you from the details. But somehow we got past our "problem". Maybe he felt I should have yelled at him last year? Who the fook knows.....anyway.....whatever has been bothering him after Bob's tumble is over with. I for one am very happy My only problem is that he and Jimmy are glued to my butt! Each time I turn around I am running one or the other's feet over!! men.....I will never fully understand what goes on in their heads.
Looking forward to a quiet weekend.....words from my mouth to God's ear....hope he is listening.
Happy Saturday...gotta get a move on
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #68  

hello to all.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #69  
Smackin' into a Wall

Morning Chicks! I woke up sneezing this morning literally. Scared the stuffing out of one of my cats who was sleeping on top of me. Poor Gracie! I always seem to get like this once we close up all the windows and turn on the heat. It's probably all the newly circulating dust.

Yesterday was the wine tour and it was very fun. Eleven of us stuffed in a twelve-passenger van wandering around from winery to winery. The Niagara region is a very beautiful area and the fall colours were amazing - field after field of marching grapevine offset by blazing red maples and flaming golden oaks. Had I remembered to take my camera I'd have a picture to post. We bought enough wine to fill a case and that will probably last us until next year.

Mel~ Hope the flu shot clinic went well. I've had some really great experiences working for women but I know what you mean. Queens of Manipulation, most of us. It would be easier if people just stabbed others in the front rather than the back. And no Xmas songs from me until December. The birthday song I found on the internet. Can't claim it is mine. Oh, and there is now 100 k on the car and I have been in the car for 2 of those.

Happy~ I agree with whoever else suggested it but it is time to escalate to the salon manager. Failing that, a letter stating your intentions to never go back to that person again.

Meadow~ When I first read your sentence I thought you meant you had someone from NZ over for a meal Stretches start in the head, but they work best when they are translated to the body.

Suzi~ Hope the b-day celebrations continue. The clock sounds beautiful. What a great gift. Your DH is really cute. Funny, but if I was buying my car just for myself, I probably would have gone with the pretty blue or a bright red, but since DH has to drive it most often, I thought it might be a bit harrowing for him. Really, we ended up buying the car I wanted, so it was the least I could do.

Shad~ I love that you just napped the hot bit of the day away. That seems so civilized. The amount of plastering you did sounds as if you earned a nap. Ok, I laughed at you getting plastered! I'm glad you weren't hurt. Oh, I hadn't even thought of the idea of a helicopter tour of Niagara. I have done the jet boat ride up the river to the whirlpool. That was really cool. All that water is really emotionally moving. Re your Xmas comments. yeah, it always seemed too slow in coming when we were kids. And I hear you there will be no caroling from me until at least December. For me, extending the Xmas season into October sort of robs the season of some of the magic - though I certainly understand people who want to keep that spirit all year long.

Ceejay~ Hope it has warmed up.

Greetings to everybody I didn't get to. Have a great day, kids!! BTW, DH just walked by and looked over my shoulder. He is freaked out by the Dancing Carrot!
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #70  
Happy September

Madcat~ too funny about the 2k I'd like to sit and drink a case of wine myself!! lol The flu shots are this coming Wednesday and I hope they DO go right!
I could see the vines myself....good post! glad the day was so beautiful. don't you just love Autumn???

Ceejay back to you.

Wonder if Shad is still napping???? Shhhhhh

I am having a good weekend. Still sorting, celebrating richie's BD and watching Charlie Brown's Halloween dvd Nothing new and nothing to report. Just laying back......
Old 10-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #71  

Still not much going on.

Just in to say hello
Old 10-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #72  

I want to get plastered with Shad, and Mel and MRS Mad and her case of wine!!!Best invite all the gals. what a party we would have!!!!
Feeling uplifted and happy. I do love our church community.
It is 5C/41F and sunny!! Nice blue sky!!
It has been fun to tell people of all my life changes. Lots of surprise and well wishes. Enjoyable.
Hockey at 1:15, will need to leave around 12pm.
10:40 right now.
Will need to feed the troops, pick up a few groceries and maybe get at some paper work.

This is me yesterday morning with my Mom before planting the tulips( for Breats Cancer research). New sassy hair do. I dont usually have that many chins but was scrunched up in the cold.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../P10004712.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../P10004721.jpg

AND......We are the proud new leasees of a 2007 Chevy Cobalt; 5 speed;silver exterior, grey interior( dirt coloured),air, tilt, cruise, everything else is manual. Leased for much less than we put into repairs on the van last year and we will spend 75% less money on gas!!! It is all under warranty bumper to bumper.We are picking it up on Thurs!!!! weeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. This is a first for both of us.

Also, I signed my contract yesterday for the new Por Organizing job. I work from 9:30-3 on Tues and then when all these kids are really gone I will work as the jobs arrive but about 10-15 hours a week. My choice when and for how long based on availability. Yippee!!!

Very, very happy person sitting here. Feeling like I am in a space to lose weight too. I controlled my eating all week( wasn't perfect) and I exercised 3 days.
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #73  
Happy September

Holly~ be careful what you wish for....Shad's idea of getting plastered is stuffing it in her brasssiere

Madcat~ I came back to tell you if you put water in pyrex dishes near or on top of the radiators/heaters....there will be lots of moisture in the air or a humidifier. I use the ovenware dishes because a humidifier makes me feel like I am drowning!!! I forgot to say this before!!
Old 10-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #74  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Hi y'all,
I did pop in yesterday morning but decided to post later in the day. With all the stuff that went down, later in the day became never. I did not spend the entire day napping.

Spent the day doing a spring clean of the house. The old table had gone to DS2's place along with the 4 remaining chairs. I am now using the even older pine table given to me by my friend out in the bush when they replaced their table. It was meant to be for outside but when I put it and a couple of chairs out there, the sun did the maximum amount of damage in minimum time - hence the fixing of the chairs previously. I am trying to get rid of some of my accummulated stuff.

My new scale is okay - Happy mentioned that some of the bells and whistles were fairly useless and she is right. I don't like the numbers that this one gives me, but it is only a guide. At least I can now see things moving either up or down - it goes down in increments of 100 grams whereas the old one only went down in 500grams. The body fat thing is a bit of a stranger but at least I am not obese (in the scales opinion) anymore - just over fat! And I am beginning to wonder what I have to do to fix that. Just doesn't seem to want to go away.

Todays agenda is back to the gym and cardio. Then to paint the hall walls I have finished plastering and finish the washing. Then I really need to water the potplants before they all keel over. Better sort out what to do with them while I am away as well. And as always a few bills need paying.

And that is about it really.

Madcat, that trip to the winery sounds so lovely. Well worthwhile just for the sights alone even. What a shame you forgot the camera. But you are going down again next weekend - right? Well pack the camera now. Where are you staying at the Falls? or are you off to that charming little town - er, umm, Niagara on the Lake???? Such a pretty spot. Hopefully you will get to see the Falls all lit up at night and maybe one of the music concerts they sometimes put on? (Handels Water Music?) 'Sigh' One of the great wonders of this world.

Holly - great pics. Job well done. When you've finished digging over there, pop on over, theres plenty of digging to do here. No tulips however - they don't grow in this part of the earth.

Okay - coffee is done. Time to get dressed for gym. Time to start my day. Happy must be having a busy weekend. to all the others.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #75  
Happy September

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
HOTCUPOJAVA
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

HOPE YOUR BIRTHDAY MONDAY IS A VERY SPECIAL ONE!!!
COME OUT OF YOUR SHELL AND ENJOY THE DAY!