Old 11-17-2006, 11:43 PM   #286  

Suzi, I think we can cope with catching your cold. Jsut so long as it's not the plague... Seriously though, take care of yourself. Chicken broth, and hot lemon with honey. Yum.

And the miracle of modern medicine (Robaxacet) has me feeling no pain and quite relaxed. Muscle spasms are a nuisance, but they don't happen too often. Sort of like UFO's, they just appear for no apparent reason, and then just go away when they're ready. In any case, I think I'll follow Mel's example, and be a positive idiot from now on. (Did I get that right Mel? )

I do hope no one takes my griping too seriously - it's really just my attempt at humour.

Meadow, I don't think I had heard of Frances Kuffel before, but may borrow it from the library just to see. I did buy the new book advertised on 3fc, The You Diet (I may have the title wrong, but am afraid I'll lose the post if I go to that page...). Anyway, it starts out sounding like the miracle we've all been looking for, getting slim by following our intuition about food. But then it ends up being a two-week eat-the-same-thing-every-day kind of diet. And it's written in that annoying style the Dummies books use, trying so hard all the time to be cute you can't see your way to the info. I've already put it into my vast collection of diet books, half-read, and can't really recommend it.

On Wed night I saw a really interesting show on tv, Meerkat Manor. It's really well done, and of course there's something irresistible about those little beasties. For some reason my little Lily cat has always reminded me of a meerkat, I don't know why, although she does have a rather small head. Anyway, I think it's been on some specialty channel for some time, but I just found it on TVO.

Mel, I actually had my deviated septum "repaired" about 16 months ago. The idea was to make me breathe better, thus having less crud building up in the nasal passages and sinuses, blowing less, getting less irritation, and never needing nose buds again. It did NOT work, and in fact I'm worse than before. (The left side now has an interesting double bubble effect at times, and neither breathing nor blowing have improved.) Anyway, I can't recommend it based on my experience, although I think some people have seen improvement. I think I'll opt for Ceejay's miracle cauterization instead. If nothing else, it probably won't leave me with two weeks worth of black eyes.

Uh oh. I'm babbling about health stuff again. I must be in training for retirement or something.

Goodnight all.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:25 AM   #287  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

MEADOW HAS THE BUBONIC PLAGUE???
YOU ARE TOO FUNNY WOMAN!!! BE AS INNER ORIENTED AS YOU NEED TO BE.

SUZI~ I GET IT!! (NOSE STORY) WE BOTH COULD HAVE USED A NAP. I WOKE UP TIRED!! THE ENERGY OF CHILDREN IS ASTOUNDING TO SAY NOTHING OF THE NOISE THAT 2 CAN MAKE!

CARLA~I WAS JUST LOOKING AT THE AD FOR THAT BOOK. DR OZ WAS ON OPRAH WINFREY'S SHOW AND HAS BECOME HER LATEST "STAR". I MISSED THE SHOW. LOL
I ALMOST BOUGHT IT TOO. GUESS ENOUGH DIET BOOKS IS ENOUGH! I LOVE MEERKATS AND THE WAY THEY STAND. CRACK ME UP EVERY TIME. I TOO WATCHED A SHOW ABOUT THEM LONG AGO THOUGH. VERY INTERESTING HOW THEY ARE SUCH A COMMUNITY AND STICK TOGETHER. FUNNY LITTLE GUYS.

I NEED TO WAKE UP SOMEHOW. EVEN WITH THE SUN SHINING I AM DRAGGIN' MY BUTT. IF I'M NOT CAREFUL, I'M GONNA ROLL IT OVER!! MAYBE BREAKFAST WOULD HELP. ADIOS MI AMIGAS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #288  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Carla, good going on getting a better handle on the eating, but major bummer on the neck thing. That's like one of those "neck clunks" where your turn your head and something "pops" and your eyes bug out I guess it just has to work itself loose, tread carefully for a few days. Not even sure if there's anything you can do about them. And what, pray tell is a jujube cake? I can ask because I never cared for the little buggers and if I ate one now, I'm sure they would pull the fillings out of my teeth faster than a plunger I think the good fairies hid your jujubes, particulary after an expensive dental visit

Miss Mel, sounds like you are getting your life in order, I hope it pays off big time in less stress on the body, less freaking out of the body parts You can't be responsible for everyone - try as you will - particularly if it shakes you up in the process. So you still have a neighborhood mom and pop store? Those have all but disappeared unless you're way out in the country in little towns. I miss the days of old with their deli counter and big glass case full of boxes of penny candy and the creaky wooden floors.

Meadow, I love the red lipstick theory. Good thinking and you are right about the inner critic. I do sometimes wonder about the weight gain thing. I see many people on TV who have had gastric bypass and lost huge amounts of weight only to see them struggle with maintaining too. And inevitably the weight creeps up again. I think it was Madcat who said that getting to goal was far easier than maintaining it. I wonder why?

Suzi, hope you have a quiet weekend, some rest up from the sniffles time and a bit of cuddle with the hubby time.

I must admit that I didn't even give the new Dr. Oz book a passing glance. Partly as Mel said because I have enough diet books (haven't really cracked open the last one I bought that was advertised here about breaking bad habits) but mostly because I have seen Dr. Oz on Oprah and was not impressed that much with him. Many things he said I don't agree with. And I am getting leery that she is spawning a whole cottage industry of spin offs from her show. (Think Dr. Phil, Rosie her personal chef way back, Bob Greene - tho I have always liked him - etc, etc.) I can't stand her latest psychologist Dr. Robin - everything is "tell us how you were WOUNDED as a child" - even people who said no, I had a very happy childhood she says well you were WOUNDED and you are just suppressing the bitter memories. I say oh PULLLLLLEASEE - it used to be that I'd mute her when she was on, now I won't watch a show at all if she's there. But that's just me.

On another note, I am very very sad. My absolute most favorite relative in my extended family, my lovable Aunt M has been diagnosed with an aggresive form of lung cancer. They have not told her yet - the kids will gather on the weekend and sit down with her. The doctor who did the tests shared the information privately with my cousin who has been taking the lead in handling her care. She took ill a few months ago and they have been running tests and trying to figure out why her body has gone haywire. Nothing as obvious as coughing blood or anything to indicate the lungs, not even sure how they thought to run this test. They haven't gotten with an oncologist yet to determine the extent and treatments but we are all devistated. She is a family favorite, so full of laughter and love for everyone. If you are the praying kind, I would so appreciate sending a few her way. Thank you.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #289  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I need to stay with my aunt's three year old grand daughter more often. She is so active. We had a good time together. Not long after my aunt got home from her hair appointment the school phoned and said that Whitney had a fever. I had the priviledge of picking her up at school. She didn't want to come home. They had pajama day Friday. I thought she was in her pj's, but could'nt figure out why she had her house slippers on.

My uncle, who went to India, called and said that he had a good flight. and was on land in India.

I've had a busy day today. Got up at 8 a.m. took my shower and got dressed and headed down to the basement to ride the bike for another 4 miles. They have a bike like mine. My aunt was ready by 10 and we did some shopping. We went Jonesboro to the mall. I wanted to check out some of the colon cleansers at GNC but I'm not taking 4 pills at one time 3 times per day.

Happy--Are you doing the core or flex plan with weight watchers? There is a meeting here but it's on one of the days that I work til 7p.m.The meeting is at 6.00 p.m. I've joined ww on line and will be using the flex plan.

Hello to all the rest.

I'm really tired and before I get settled in I'm going to call my nephew to see how he is doing.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:53 PM   #290  

HUGS!!!!!
A great Craft show in town, sold lots of Avon, took many orders, it was good bunch of crafters....I am not a crafter but always do these gigs in town here. Supports the local historical buildings.

Had a delightful party for my Great Uncles 90th bday. He was lookin' great!!! About 100 came to the Shriners Hall and then 45 family members went to a delish buffet for supper. My kids were exceptionally well behaved.We were the for 3 hours. It was sooooooo nice ot see my cousins from out west and Montreal. My 2 kids, my nephew and my one cousins DD were the 4th generation there. So nice for us all to be together.

I am very tired out but am over the tummy bug.

Tomorrow is a busy day too. Church at 9am, back to the town hall from 11-3 and then DH will be taking DD to 2 Bday parties.

More hugs!!!!
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:03 AM   #291  
Happy September

Default Fall Is Coming To An End

I see this week that the temps won't be in the 60's anymore. Looks like Fall will be coming to an end soon.
Can Christmas be far behind?????
Tomorrow is the Mall and the bus is packed! My name is not on the list but maybe they can squeeze me in. Lucky I bring my own seat I spent time with the kids. We watched Campion dvds. A PBS series. Then they left for the trailer late last night to cloes it up for the winter.
Nothing on my agenda for today
Happy Sunday/Monday

Happy~ I am so sorry to hear about Aunt M. Sending asd many good thoughts for her and your family.
My father had lung cancer. He pulled me aside and told me not to tell my mother. My mother pulled me aside and said not to tell my father. It was comical and we played that game for 3 years. Will keep your Auntie in my thoughts. How are you and DH getting along with tile picking? I was watching a kitchen renno on TV and thought of you both.

Ceejay~ PJ day!! How cute is that I would advise forget the colon cleansers. When I did ask one Dr he was mortified that I would even think of such a thing!!
He said you want to get cleaned out...take 2 Dulcolax! Hope the weekend continues to be a good one. India you say??? My friend left his home Delhi and went to his DD house in ??????? I forget where now!!!
I think it is Calcutta. I had to look at a map!!

Carla~ Positive idiot about sums it up!! I am still laughing about that. Is that an OTC drug you are taking?
I am always interested in drugs that make you feeeel good!!
Funny tale: the other day a friend told me their back had locked up. I answered back that although Jen has that problem I never have. The very next day I went to turn and reach behind me for something and felt like my back ribs had frozen in that twisted position. Then the nose bleed....wonder now if I will get Suzi's cold. About the only thing I missed was Holly's stomach bug
OK enough ******edness for today Mel It's Sunday. Let's show a bit of reverence

Suzi~ sending a and hope you feel better very soon!! We cannot have you being sick and not going to the gym and motivating us!! Besides, is the company over yet? I thought others were soon to arrive!!!

Holly~ Congrats on the craft day sales. Good show kiddo!!
any news on the teaching job? fingers still crossed!!!

TTFN and a big ol' wave to EVERYONE ELSE!!!! WHERE IS EVERYONE???? NAE, TIG, PAINTER, HOTCUP, TEEL, LINUS, RAVEN, MEADOW IS LURKING, I HATE WHEN I START A LIST BECAUSE I CAN NEVER REMEMBER EVERYONE!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #292  

Mel--I've done just that got the Ducalox. That's what the gyn advised me to take.

Talked to my sister and nephew last night. My nephew wasn't as groggy as he was Tuesday night and he's tired of the hospital bed. That's a good sign.
His mom said that the skin graphs were doing extremely well.

I'm at work today and I'm trying not to do anymore than I have too. This cold snap has gotten my knee's to hurting big time.

I weighed this morning at 180.8. I would really like to see the 170's by the end of the month.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #293  
Choose your hard

Morning peeps,

Thanks for the hugs and good thoughts Mel. Right back at yah We're hoping against hope that there will be some positive news as they dig into it further. Good heavens people, I will not be acknowledging any sneezing, bleeding, twisting or coughing - you people are contagious! So the shopping bus is loaded for Monday Mel? I would think they'd go on Wednesday (the worst traffic day of the week) because.... it's senior discount day Happy shopping, make sure you get something for yourself!

Ceejay, I'd have to agree with Mel on the colon cleanse. I know some people are big proponents of them but it sounds like you need to do it over a long weekend when you don't have other plans (like leaving the house for any length of time). I asked my doctor about them once, she said that if you eat properly (a regular mix of fruits and vegetables that "scrub" the insides), you should not have to deal with those things, particularly if you are "regular", if you know what I mean

And I am doing the flex plan. The core plan is a bit too restricted for me because I like a variety of foods and I'd wind up counting some points any way. If there's anything you'd like to do to make the online plan seem more person, let me know - I'm open to ideas.

Those first few pounds came off quick but now it seems my weight has stalled. I am definitely not drinking all my water every day. I find it hard to get the whole amount in when it's cold like it is now. I'm trying to get used to drinking flavored teas WITHOUT the sugar but it's taking time to wean myself of sweetener. I feel like if you're adding sugar, it doesn't count as regular water. In reviewing my logs I have been eating too many items where I can't count the points - as in a restaurant meal. I guess you just can't get away from it - if you can't measure it, you can't count it. I really don't want to have another weigh in with no loss so I will be doing some planning for the upcoming week.

It appears that my washing machine has decided to go on the fritz yesterday. I noticed when I was washing a load of clothes that the inner basket was bobbing all over as if the load was out of balance. The one I have has a digital panel (DH wanted it) and it came up with an error message about the out of balance switch. Of course no place is open for service here and I have to wait until 9am Monday to call. I'm sure with the short week ahead that it's unlikely we'll get someone out here this week. I do have enough clothes to get through a couple of weeks without washing but I miss getting the laundry done and mostly OUT OF THE WAY! So much for Maytag washers being problem free. This will be the 3rd service call in 2 years. They sure don't make them very reliable anymore. My first washing machine was from JC Penney and it lasted 18 years. The washer was still going strong but the dryer pooped out and we decided to replace the set. I'll bet whomever took that washer, it's still running loads!

I'm looking forward to the short work week and the long weekend all to ourselves. Since I saw my family a few weeks ago and we'll be headed back up in a month or so, I can get through this holiday with just me and DH. I'm actually looking forward to having the extra time off to clean the house and decorate for Christmas. And somehow I need to squeeze in reading the 400+ page book I picked out for the Book Club prior to December 5.

I just wish someone would do my Christmas shopping for me, a task I no longer enjoy, particularly here where we have one large mall that most everyone shops at.

Enough blabbering I suppose. I did get up early all on my own and I should make something of the morning rather than frittering it away at the computer.

Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by happy2bme; 11-19-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #294  
Choose your hard

We're missing you Shad -- hope you get plugged back in soon.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #295  

I am happy it is Monday!! Although, I have decided to keep the kids home this morning. DS because he had the scoots before bed last night. DD is still sleeping. She had nightmares last night and was up a lot. I will take them to school at first break if they seem okay.

I have lots to do here today but no clear plan yet. Lots of phone calls and emails and housework to do. I have a district school council meeting tonight at the local highschool at 7.

I AM feeling rested and healthy!! Yippee!! Picked up some fresh fruit and veg last night for today!!

MY Sunday
I was restless last night. Lots of social activity yesterday makes a busy brain for me. Also, I was digesting the news I received just as we were leaving for the partry. A good aquaintance, someone I had stayed with while travelling in BC now living in Ontario, died suddenly on Friday, from a heart attack. She had been in hospital with a severe virus, come home and was okay and then had a heart attack and died. SHe was only 46. Her hubby and DD19 are devastated.She was the best friend of a very close friend of mine. We often got together for a Chrismas drink or a pool party. That kind of thing.It is a just so sad.
Home from church. Had a brief Chirstmas party planning meeting. I wanted to give a Christian gift to the kids, even just a book mark, others felt it was too material.I thot it would be a good reminder of things not material.

I am very tired today. I was almost in tears getting the kids seat belts done up. The kids were fussing. All is well now. Hubby is helping DD wrap gifts and make bday cards for her 2 friends. AND he did do the dishes( 3 days worth) and tidy up a bit.
I need to leave for the Town Hall in 5 min. Just had a nice turkey sandwich and banana for my early lunch.

Another sales rep comes to help out. She is older than me( than my parents too) and is shy. I am helping her learn how to do events. She is a delight.

Home from the craft show. Not as busy today but good convo and fellowship with wonderful people. DH and the kids are at Bday party #2.

I need to get to the pet store before 5pm so heading out to do that. I think I will pick up a roast chicken and potatoes from the grocery store.

Minor vent. Hubby has been off work for a whole week. He has spent most of it sitting on the couch watching movies. He has done some stuff with the kids but not 1 single thing to help make my life easier or help around the house. Even when I was sick with a terrible tummy virus for 2 days. I am feeling resentful. Thankfully he is back to work tomorrow. 1, we need the income. 2, my sanity needs it.Do you have any idea how hard it is to carry the full load when your partner is just sitting there???
I am not sure where his head is at. I did ask tonight if he had forgotten he was not a bachelor living in an apt and actually a husband, father and home owner. No response. at least we didnít fight.
Done the minor vent.

Watched Brothers and Sisters while the kids bathed. They are in bed. I will watch Housewives and then Studio 60 later on.
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #296  
Happy September

Ceejay~ so glad the nephew is coming along. Hope the success of the grafts continues. I still cannot believe it. Scary stuff. "hugs: for the knees!! Keep them warm!!

Holly~ Most hubbies are like that. If he hasn't changed by now he won't! get a maid.

Happy~ keeping fingers crossed for your weigh-in!! good luck. I had the same problem when I was in the office. hard to count take out food too when you're not measuring. I had a tendency to down size the cals too!!! Didn't want to admit that the breakfast I had was probably a whole days worth of calories and then some! Good luck with the washer! We have maytags in the laundry room and they are breaking down every so often. Seems like we did better with Sears!!! LOL

The day started with a leaking toilet a little after 7AM. Didn't even have time to pee before it all began.
Time for me to get breakfast and do some house cleaning. There really wasn't any room on the bus and the toilet thing took too long also. So no shopping today. Shoprite is tomorrow and I really MUST go!!! Am waiting with baited breath for the 4 day weekend!
HAPPY MONDAY!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #297  

Hi every one. Hope you are having a good day.

We had a heavy frost this morning. I sure would like to rake off the yard again but it probably will not happen. I miss the daylight after work.

This is about it.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #298  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,

I've been away on an induction course. yesssssss another one!!!! I reckon I've done about 75 of them and could happily sleep through one and still be able to answer the questions.

I did go through the pages over the weekend and have made some notes for reply. When I get time might be interesting. Seems like everyone wants something this morning.

The twit will not be here until December so I have just over a week to make myself bulletproof and invisible. I intend to be horribly busy for a long time. I just hope they don't put him in an apartment close to me or even in the same block. I will mention the non-possibility.

Meantime - I will be back. The first of the weekly meetings is about to start. Who knows what riveting information that will bring!!!

I'll be back.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:52 PM   #299  
Suzi in Auz

That's weird. I thought I posted yesterday and it had vanished and yet I am sure it was there....maybe not.
Hello everyone.
Not feeling very sociable today...I'm at work and griping.
None of us like to be taken for granted and today this is how I felt.
I am filling in for someone as a favour and They have made it clear that theya re completely unavaiable to me. I have work issues which need to be addressed but I am just going to have to nut on my own or leave them. I have to make decisions and she has left me no options. It is frustrating.
I will not be doing this again and am thinking that I am done with this place.
I know we all feel like this at our place of work at one time or another but everyone likes to be appreciated.
I am filling in for a job I am not getting paid for and not trained for although highly competent.
There are bigger fish to fry.
Talk about frying it is very HOT here today. I will be leaving on the dot of 4pm and hopping into my pool at home.
Happy...I am so sorry to hear about your favourite aunt. to you. i hope you will get plenty of time with her in the future it is a b%^$^%$gger!
I haven't too much to say today...headache to boot.
hope your days are happy
Suz
suzi in auz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:19 AM   #300  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

I came back - if only for a little while. Let me see if I can catch up on some of the comments I underlined over the weekend.

Holly - Glad to hear you are making progress with the house. Our government has some programs in place (solar power, raintanks) and we get subsidies for putting them in from time to time but there are usually some conditions attached such as having to use the rainwater for loo flushing or something. To do that I have to have things done to the roof. Since it is the only thing that hasn't proved a problem in the past 18 years, I am not inclined to change anything!!!!
Hope the new windows bring much happiness and warmth or cooling as required.

'Rock, Paper, Scissors' - well that brought back a few memories Happy. When i was in Japan last year all the kids were playing it. It's called Janka over there. There is a championship for it????
As for the DH playing 'Love me tender' over and over - could be worse. Could be 'Ol McDonalds Farm' or Twinkle, Twinkle little star.
The ring set sounds fabulous. Get the best you can afford. You are worth it. So what if you don't where the solitaire to the grocery store. It's so nice to have the pretty things. Invest in one of those safe things that you can bolt into the wardrobe floor and keep the goodies in there rather than the bank.
Actually I don't work for the same recruitment company as the twit (capital letters gives him too much importance) My agent won't have him on board - neither with the management company. Got to say something! It just so happens that Aus is very short of good SAP trainers at the moment. Many projects just have to take on anyone who applies. It won't last, so I make the most of my opportunities.
Sorry to hear that you gained at the last weigh in. Not fair. Hope it gets back off again soon.
I have no doubt that Strawberry Spinach salad was a hit. It was yummy.
Projecting hope and cheer for the aunt. So sorry to hear that news.

Ceejay - I am so sorry to hear of the nephew. I hope he is now feeling soooo much better and will be home soon.

And that is it for the time being. I will leave the comments on the tampons from Carla and Mel for the time being. I have to think carefully about those. Thank god I don't get nosebleeds!!!
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote