3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Holiday Chit and Chat #1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/94949-holiday-chit-chat-1-a.html)

Sassy_Chick 09-29-2006 08:04 PM

Holiday Chit and Chat #1

Hello and Welcome to the Jaded Ladies Holiday Chit and Chat! :thanks2: :coolsnow: :santa: :newyear: :han: :val1: :luck2you:

Here we can chat about the Holidays, what to get the people who have "everything" and want "nothing". Also we can discuss holiday recipes here and how to make them "figure friendly". Anything and everything concerning the Holidays and it doesn't just have to be the Winter Holidays. ;)

We can do this year round because it is always a constant battle to deal with Holidays and the food and what not. Why not alleviate some of the stress by coming here to help one another? :D

I hope you will come and join us!!!!!

Please come and join us for our Weightloss Chit and Chat as well!

:hug:

mkat321 09-29-2006 08:18 PM

probably the best thing about our decision to have our own holiday celebrations is that it puts us in charge of the menu. Since neither of us care for huge meals of foods we don't like the other eleven months out of the year, we usually end up with super-simple meals. And our presents to each other this year are an ab lounger and a total gym :) We're getting the kids one of those one-person indoor trampolines as well, which I may or may not borrow from time to time..

Sassy_Chick 09-29-2006 08:41 PM

That is a good idea. I was thinking about us purchasing a gym for us. We have to put some things in storage first, but I think it may be a good idea. We do belong to the Y but we work nights and its tough to get there on our schedules and I think if we had it here, it would be so much easier. We could work out whenever we wanted too. But we'll see.

Simple meals are a great idea and I'm not sure about this year. My in-laws usually have the holidays at their house, but this year my mil says she is not "in the mood". Which is very strange for her since she is usually very into the Holidays................

We live in a small apt. so it is tough to have gatherings at our place, but if we have to have it here I guess we can...................

FrouFrou 09-30-2006 01:20 PM

Holidays....aaaahh...don't know what we will be doing. It won't be the same with Josh in the sandbox so we are seriously thinking of eating out. Sounds kind of depressing to me but I am really tired of cooking and don't want to cook two meals. We will have a big turkey dinner when Josh gets his R & R but we have no clue when that will be. But he will have Christmas waiting for him when he gets home. I'm leaving the decorations up just for him.

Was in Hobby Lobby yesterday and saw some patriotic decorations and for a few seconds I thought about doing a patriotic tree! Think it would be cool. Anyway, I still would like to make some goodies though, just not a big meal for us.

You ladies have some good gift ideas. I've not even thought that far. Too busy with other stuff right now but I do have a hubby and 3 children to still buy for.

Anyone have any ideas on what to get a man that doesn't need anything?

I want to have my shopping done by the middle of November but I am at a loss as to what to get for everyone. DD is the only one who is easy to buy for since she just wants gift cards for music and books.

Thanks for starting this thread also Sassy!

Sassy_Chick 09-30-2006 04:23 PM

Hey Cristina!

Glad you have joined us! ;) Hmmmmmmm what to get a man that has everything and doesn't need anything? Sounds like my FIL! lol. I would go with a Gift Certificate to his favorite store or restaurant. Or just keep a listen on what he says. My fil happened to mention he wanted a MP3 player so that is what we are probably going to get him, unless he gets it for himself beforehand.

Or you could just ask him. I know that takes the "fun" out of it, but that is probably what we will do for my mil. She is extremely picky on things and unless we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she wants something, we don't get it. Because then it becomes a part of the gifts in the closet that she doesn't like but can't get rid of because they are a gift! I have even had her give me something that I had given to her!!!!! (not as a gift, just gave it too me and said, "you want this? I won't use it") I think she totally forgot that I gave it to her.

Well anyways. Good luck and your idea of the Patriotic Tree sounds really neat!

suetalks 09-30-2006 10:38 PM

Hi ladies. Wow, you are on the ball. I haven't given Christmas a thought, but did talk to DD about Thanksgiving. I might have her family here as they are the only ones who live near us. We are usually in Vegas...but will go late this year.

Christmas, don't know if we will be here or not. All of my "grands" are teens except one. They like gift cards or cash, but I like to buy gifts, so I might do a little of each. Depends on where we are...it is sure easy to mail gift cards. :)

A hubby who has everything..that's mine. One year I happened to pick up a catalog he had from a woodworking store. He had marked several items that he wished for...so I ordered a few small things....then I added a gift card so he could pick out the rest. I even had them sent to DD's house and he never figured it out. One of the few times I surprised him. :) We both tend to mark things in catalogs...just for our dream list. One year when we were first married I had marked several items in a J.C. Penney book. But I marked like 8 blouses, several sweaters and several pair of slacks...going to decide on color choices and build outfits....Christmas morning he brought in a stack of clothing boxes...and had gotten everything I marked. I was stunned and since these were dress clothes I had some of them for years. :) Good thing I buy classic styles and not faddish stuff. LOL The kids were laughing and clapping at what all mommy got. It was fun!

Sassy_Chick 10-01-2006 05:13 AM

Hi Sue!

That is another good idea. I do the same thing in my catalogs I get. ;) I surprised my husband ONCE too. He is tough because he ALWAYS guesses what I got him before he gets it! lol. But one year I ordered this special thing from Scotland for him and I didn't tell NOBODY about it except one online friend of mine who happened to live in Scotland and helped me with it. But I totally surprised him! It was so awesome! I have no clue of what to do this year. Also my husband's Bday is exactly two weeks before Xmas...........

We can help each other through it though! lollllllllllll.

FrouFrou 10-01-2006 02:50 PM

Ha! Sue...I do that too and when we were first married V bought me some stuff I had circled in a catalog. Later on were talking and I asked him why he bought those. He said because I had them circled in a catalog. I told him I do that all the time when I first get a catalog and later on will go through again and make sure it's something I still want. Those I actually didn't want, lol.

Sassy...I really don't care for giving gift cards, especially to DH but I never know what to get him. We'll see...

Anyone dressing up for Halloween?

Marti 10-01-2006 08:09 PM

Interesting thread.

I will chat about Halloween first. Since that is the first holiday approaching.

Our company is having a halloween potluck (entire company not just individual departments) and this years theme is Pirates of the Carribean. I think it sounds fun, but not sure if I'll dress up. Maybe though. Last time I dressed up for Halloween I was pregnant w/Jhanai. (so it's been awhile)
Need to find something to bring to the potluck. I'm not much of a cook but I can bring cookies. Easy. And I don't tend to munch on cookies much.:D

Anyone else dressing up?

Jane 10-02-2006 11:21 AM

Neal and I have dressed up as Raggedy Andy and Raggedy Ann before, lol. I doubt that we will dress up this year, since we don't get any trick-or-treaters, and haven't been invited to a party or anything. I helped Mary pick out costumes for the 3 girls. The twins are going as lady bugs, and Caylin as a bee, lol. The bad thing is, Mary has to go through all the candy the kids get, and weed out all peanut stuff. What a job! I'll help her, though....

About Christmas, I'm one of those people who have everything bought and wrapped early. The thought of waiting until the last minute makes me crazy. :dizzy: I have no clue what to buy Neal this year. Men are hard to buy for, imo, and he doesn't need anything. Before long, he'll ask me what I want, and I have no idea what to tell him, either. Actually, I think I'll ask if he would want to put the $$$ toward our vacation next year.

When the kids ask what we want, I'm going to say gift certificates to restaurants. We like to eat out, and don't need more "stuff". Gift certificates aren't personal, but we sure do like geting them. :D

Sassy_Chick 10-02-2006 10:37 PM

Hi Ladies.

You all have lots of good ideas. We are not sure about Halloween yet. We MAY dress up and go out with our friends and his children. Not sure yet.

Jane -- I agree with you, we do not need more "Stuff" either. That is why I am glad that my in-laws are finally asking us what we need/want instead of getting us more "Stuff" to try to find a place for. I am very appreciative of any gift of course, but I personally think its a much better compliment to the person who has given the gift when the person who was given the gift says, "I use it ALL the time". Infact I had a coworker today tell me that his little baby just adores the little stuffed bunny we got her about a year ago, he says she has almost worn out the ears!!!!!!

I think gift certificates/cards are a great idea, for people who want them and use them. I know they are not the most romantic or whatever gift idea, but if you really take the time to go to that person's favorite store and buy them a gift card, I think that says a lot. A good friend of ours last year gave me a gift card to Bath and Body Works, which used to be my favorite store. (that is another story within itself) lol. But anyways. I was delighted that he knew me well enough to get me a gift card from my favorite store (at the time) that I could go to and get exactly what I wanted. But that is just me. I know some people are offended by recieving gift cards, but I guess its just how you perceive the gift.

All in all. I think the "perfect" gift is the giving of yourself. By truely spending time with that person and maybe preparing their favorite meal, or if you sew, sewing them their favorite shirt or PJs (my mil did this for us one year and we STILL use those PJs!) Another idea is maybe doing something you know they like to do but maybe you don't do that often. Ex: If you husband golfs, maybe you could go along with him once, or may a day out for just "him". Let him pick what you do, where you eat, etc.............

Just throwing out some ideas here. My husband isn't the easiest, but he will usually give me a few ideas. I know my FIL is very tough to buy for. But if you listen closely, they will almost always say at least one thing they like. Also another idea, is if they enjoy a particular kind of food or drink, like for my FIL one year, my mil got him a basket full of nuts and a nice nut cracker. One year for our friends we got a bunch of teas, hot chocolates, little cookies, etc and my mil celephaned (sp??) it all up with a nice pretty bow. They LOVED it!

Or you all know about me buying the tea set and teas for my husband. If they are a coffee lover you can do the same thing or hot cocoa or chocolate or whatever they like!

Also for my friend's baby shower, I bought all bath stuff. I bought a baby bath tub and filled it with baby shampoos, soaps, washclothes, everything dealing with bathing and again my mil celephaned it up and put a pretty bow on it. EVERYBODY at the shower thought we had bought it that way at a store! It only cost me a total of about $30 or so.

Okay I'm getting off of here now, but I hope they helps some of you and maybe when your out and about you might come up with an idea of your own! :D Or feel free to use any of mine above! lol.

Jane 10-03-2006 09:35 AM

You have lots of good suggestions, Sassy. :yes:

Sue and Cristi - Neal would never ever see anything I circled in a catalog. I don't think I've ever seen him look through one. I think it's really cool that your men do this!

Marti - what kind of cookies will you take to the carry-in?

Since today is the last day to get free shipping, I ordered some things from the Penney's Christmas catalog yesterday for the DGDs. Four of them want a pink remote control car and another one wants a Winnie the Pooh doll set. I'm all about getting a bargain, so at least that much is done. We will buy more for each child, but not a lot more. We told the kids and DGDs last year that once Neal retired, we're cutting back on what we spend. After I saw what a huge pile of stuff they each got last year, that confirmed the thought to cut back. :dizzy: Mary is good about donating toys that the kids have outgrown, and she has them help decided what goes. I did this with my kids, too, and I think it gives them a foundation of sharing with others who are less fortunate.

One thing I do about gift certificates to stores is to tell the giver just what I got with the gc. Especially if it's from a store that sells lots of different stuff such as Walmart or Target. They seem to appreciate knowing just what I got.

I wish I had a Halloween party to go to.... maybe I'll host one myself....

Sassy_Chick 10-03-2006 03:07 PM

Thanks Jane and Tend to do the same thing when I receive a gift card. ;)

Our friend at work is talking about having a Halloween Party........That would be fun................Although I don't know what I would dress up as..........:p

Jane 10-03-2006 05:48 PM

Ask them if I can come too, lol.

Sassy_Chick 10-03-2006 06:07 PM

lol...........