Old 09-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 218/218/168

Height: 5'8"

okay, as of 4:15 this afternoon i am up to 24,626 steps (i think that i may just skip my walk tonight) and my day is not over yet.
this is day on of my 10,000 steps a day challenge and i am going to make it a level 3 just in case.
i am not going to add anything else right now so maybe i can get through all 21 days of this one. gotta run, i have open house at one of the schools that i teach at tonight.
later, trob
trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #47  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Smile looking pretty good....

Good morning everyone! Wow, glad to see so many posts and some old friends! Jolly! You are NOT a "bad penny!!!"

Well, I just up and forgot my crunches yesterday. I went to bed super early because I was tired and also because I thought, well, just go to bed instead of staying up and eating dinner and thus I forgot to do the crunches. No problem though as I hadn't even taken a pause yet on them and riding yesterday had me working my abs a lot more as I improved my position at sitting trot.

Ok, so here's where I stand on my challenges. It doesn't really look too good, not with barely a week down and only one pause left on two of them, the hardest ones. The processed foods I could see but the alcohol is one that is not really a question of not drinking. Certain situations call for it and I am not going to not drink if they come up. However, I can and am totally cutting out the situations where I didn't really need to drink, such as sitting at home and having a beer to relax or joining in after work when I didn't really want to. Unlike in the States, discussing work over drinks is a very big part of the culture here and really important. You can't not drink and are not really trusted if you don't. If you insist on not drinking you will be kept out of the loop on many things and lose valuable insights into things. Besides, I really enjoy it so the thing I have to do is 1) cut out the unnecessary get-togethers and 2) maintain some sort of moderation when I do go out. Moderation, however, is not part of my challenge right now because I still found it hard to define! For me, it's still better to be too strict, because, if I'm not, I will inevitably be too lenient and those calories sure do add up, as well as the fact that I'm not going to be able to do much strenuous exercise if I'm hungover.... So, I may have to start over, but I am going to do my best until then and if I have to start over it will be because I really needed to drink AND I will immediately start over, not allow a week or so to roll by before I do.

Alcohol -- Day 7 done/2 pauses taken
Sugar -- Day 8 done/1 pause taken
Processed Foods -- Day 7 done/2 pauses taken
Crunch Challenge -- Day 9 done/1 pause taken
Walking/Running/Riding Challenge -- Day 8 done/1 pause taken
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #48  
Never give up

Talking record day!!!

Heh there people, look at my weight under my avatar! 70.6 kgs!!! That's just over 155 lbs and the lowest I've been this year and last. My non-stretchy petite Size 10s are wearable, though not as loose as I'd like them, but still wearable. The problem with them is that they are too high-waisted, since without the excess fat I should probably be a Size 6, not a 10!! Oh, well, I'll take it. I remember when they had a hand's width at the top even preventing me from closing them! So, I am stoked.

"Dreams do come true if you
keep believing in yourself.
Anything is possible."
(Jennifer Capriati, pro tennis player)

Last edited by redballoon; 09-05-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #49  
Ashley

Congratulations, redballoon, on 70.6 kgs. That is excellent. And you deserve applause for constantly encouraging everyone else!

Trob - wow - 24,626 steps by 5:00 is quite an accomplishment. My workplace is working towards accreditation as a certified "wellness workplace", so a big group of us are wearing pedometers. I'm never in the top 10 of the weekly list of walkers. 24,626 in one day is huge!

Today was a great day for me. A friend brought in a bag of home-made cookies and I only had a small one and gave the rest away. Even with the cookie, I stayed within my calorie range, went to the gym and did my journaling.
Ashley103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #50  

i am beginning to distrust my pedometer. i know that i am walking A LOT but i am afraid to trust it. my job as an art teacher keeps me on my feet all day. i walk the room while the kids are working and only sit down to eat lunch and do any planning that might be needed. do you guys think that i should buy a new one or trust the one that i have. i tested it tonight and it was within two steps of my count.

red- WAY TO GO with your weight. i know that it feels good to be smaller than you have been in years. you have got the right attitude with you alcohol challenge...just do what you have to do.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #51  
Never give up

Wink dawdling kind of day....

Here I am again. Home today so I keep sitting down at the computer. I uncovered my piano for the first time in months. It felt good though I can't play a thing. I so wish I could sit down and play my favorite piece, "Clair de Lune." But I only ever get it in pieces and never all of them, only my favorites. I wish I could afford good lessons. It would help me over the sticking points and give me something to aim for along the way.... does anyone play piano here?

trob -- I was going to say, the pedometer seems a bit off. But then again, you did say you are on your feet all day long. It'll record even tiny steps or movements, which don't really help at all toward cardio or aerobic training like an allout pulse-raising stroll. Still, so what? It does show you've been doing a lot more than sitting on your duff or lying in bed! And, more importantly, it'll indicate the amount you were up and about in a relative manner. Sure, you know if you've gotten the heart pounding or not, but that's secondary. I ride trains a lot and I could see that the bumping in the train was being recorded as steps. Still, I figured it was still a good gauge of what I was doing, so I wouldn't worry. You are doing A-OK!! Thanks for the congrats on my weight loss. Now, to just keep going. This is the closest I've come to breaking through the 70-kg mark. I really want to get through that and stay through it consistently. I think that will be a huge psychological boost.

Ashley -- Thank you too! That was a great save with the "sweet things!" You certainly did sound like you had an excellent day! Keep on truckin'!!

dj -- Welcome back! Wow, you did so well on your trip and, what's this?!!?, another beautiful photo for your avatar. I am longing for such scenes. Only one pause on food. That was awesome! Look forward to your catching up with us!

Liz -- Good for you for getting back on track. The chips, trash and gym tale was impressive! And will you look at that, the scale WAS lying to ya! I knew it! Capris "buttoned and zipped with ease!!!" Wow!! Rock on!

jolly -- Like I said, no "bad penny" here. Glad to see you again! Your wisdom is unfathomable! But it looks like in exploring it you nonetheless hit on a gem! And that race, wonderful! Good luck!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:53 AM   #52  
takeitoff&Keepitoff

Hi everyone~
Red- I play piano and guitar but I think I have arthritis in my fingers, (it's like on and off ) so I haven't been playing for some time. The strength on my fingers are not equal, so I can't do justice to the great masters' works- I imagine them turning in their graves when I play Chopin is a favorite By the way, you can burn some calories from playing piano- so there you go.
So now we have three things in common, we're both vegheads play piano, and seem to be restarting our challenges over and over.
By the way, a vegan who used to post in our thread for a short time went on the Atkins diet and lost the weight she couldn't lose on a vegan diet. (read her posts on the Atkins section) I've been toying with the idea, but I'm not so sure I want to be a carnivore again Any ideas?
My laptop which is only 15 mos. old is at the repair shop, it is still on warranty since there is 2 years warranty on every goods bought within EU, plus I have purchased an additional 2 years warranty so I don't know if they will repair it or if I get a replacement. I have an older laptop but I can't get the wireless pcmcia LAN card to work either so I'm using our stationary computer which is in one of our upstairs room (office/library room) and my dog (baby) and I hate this room so I can't be online for a long time-that's why I haven't been posting. Anyway, I'm only on day 7 on all my challenges
because I've taken 2 pause days , so I'm thinking about a restart because I don't like to continue once I've taken a pause day.
I need to get out of this room- making me feel clausthrophobic, and my baby is getting restless.
Have a great day everyone and good luck on your challenges.
girlieyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #53  
Never give up

Good evening all. Wrapping up Wednesday here. Didn't get out to the gym till late today and just before I got there I read a very annoying email message..trouble at work that I couldn't iron out quickly so I was really ticked and was about to blow off the gym. Then I thought, no, this is going to be happening often and if every time it does I blow off the gym or my good eating, then what?! Who will have lost? ME! So, I went to the gym...it took a lot of hesitating, hanging around downstairs, do I go, don't I go? but I went! Didn't run but did weights and my anger was perfect. Had the adrenalin going, the music was focusing. I will probably be hurting tomorrow!

So, challenge wise, I am looking good for another day on all fronts! Will confirm that tomorrow!

girlie -- Heh there! Good to see some old faces. Ah, a fellow veggie/piano player. Heh, I'm not starting this challenge over yet! No, of course, I start them over all the time...but at least I keep at it! I would never, ever in my life go on Atkins. Ugh! I'm basically a veg for ethical reasons but I don't think I could stomach meat anyhow. You can definitely lose weight on a vegan diet but you have to be very vigilant. There's a well-known vegan bodybuilder. I'll find you his site....if he can do it, we can! And, oh, since I'm a writer/editor and stickler for words at times, I am forced to point out the constant misuse of the word "carnivore." You and I, being human, can never be carnivores, no matter how little meat we eat. We are omnivores, always will be. Cats are carnivore, you know, things with lots of sharp, pointy teeth, good for killing, no grinders, short intestines. Other are meat-eaters, we is veghead! I get kind of tired of it. Over here you tell people you're a vegetarian and they ask, "but do you eat fish?" and instead of getting too upset because it's just the thousandth time I've heard it, I say, "No, I'm a vegetarian." Basta! Well, girlie, don't worry about me. I think the adrenalin is still going. I was so teed at this job applicant who I bent over backwards to be nice to even though she was a total loss and then I hear she's called the office to complain about "the bad treatment!" Damn! I'll show her bad treatment! By the way, what were your challenges again? You're like me with only a week down and two pauses taken. I don't mind pauses at all but I can understand your wanting to ace a challenge. When I think, I used to do that because I hadn't started the idea of pause days. Now, I have a hard time doing one even with them. Just goes to show you adapt to what you're allowed, the full refrigerator thing.....

Last edited by redballoon; 09-06-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #54  

Good morning all. REal quick check in here. Unfortunately, for some reason, I can't seem to get on the site from home I will try and figure out the reason though.

So, day one of my challenges. I just got my rear kicked at the gym doing my circuit class. Luckily she also seemed to work most of the rest of the kinks out of my hip, so yeah! Hopefully tomorrow's run will go well. Now, I just need to remember: I will not eat when I am stressed. I will not eat when I am stressed. I will not . . .

Red, congrats on the weight. You are awesome. Everyone else, keep up the great work, and talk to you later
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #55  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Day 8 exercise went well. 3 Pauses left.
Day 7 logging food - good. 2 Pauses left.

I'm adding a new challenge. WATER! Must get more in! I seem to do well when it's hot out but not when it cools off. So, at least 64 ounces per day, level 3.

Next week, I'll also go back to an official calorie count. My calories have been running too high lately and with all that's been going on lately, I just have not been wanting to deal with it.

Wow Trob! Good job on the steps! Even if your pedometer isn't perfect, you know that you're getting some movement in and it's probably reasonably close. Congrats!

Red - Congrats on the weight loss AND the gym! Good going! It's funny how you just really don't feel like working out, but you make yourself anyways, and feel so great afterwards. That feeling is one of the biggest reasons I get my workout in everyday.

Glad you like my new avatar. It's a place called Mesa Falls here in Idaho. We didn't camp right there, but a few miles up the road. We spent part of one day there at the falls and took lots of pics!

Ashley - Great job on the cookies!

Hi to everyone else here! Gotta go re-create my shopping list (my 2 year old threw it away and then the 13 year old took out the garbage) and I must get to the store.

Have a great day!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #56  

i feeling better about my pedometer today. i have half the class load on wed. and my step count was just over 11,000. i think that it is probably a little off but i am still happy. my weight was up on monday but it is back down today. i actually weighed less this afternoon than i did this morning.

red- thanks for the pep talk...i made me feel a lot better.
you too dj. thanks!

looks like everyone is trucking right along...keep up the good work. i am off to have dinner at my sister's house...could mean trouble but since i have only had around 200 cals today i think i will be alright.
later
Old 09-07-2006, 06:27 AM   #57  
Never give up

Smile moving right along....

I am still on a roll! And I am determined to NOT get on the scale and NOT keep looking at myself in the mirror to see if I look thinner and NOT keep checking my clothes to see if they feel any looser. I WILL just keep eating right and I WILL work out hard and I WILL remain strong in the faith that my efforts will get me to a place I want to go!!

Here's where I stand. One more day notched all around!

Alcohol -- Day 9 done/2 pauses taken
Sugar -- Day 10 done/1 pause taken
Processed Foods -- Day 9 done/2 pauses taken
Crunch Challenge -- Day 11 done/1 pause taken
Walking/Running/Riding Challenge -- Day 10 done/1 pause taken

trob -- I am glad you feel better about your pedometer! You are really walking! Glad the pep talk helped too. You can do this! Hope you had a nice time at your sister's!

dj -- Congratulations on another day down! Good luck on the water challenge too. And wow, the dreaded calorie count! This is what I need to do I think, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I just know if I can't have something I'll want it more and more. I have to trick myself somehow into thinking I'm eating a lot when I'm not. Yes, the workouts are often like that. I almost blew off the gym today. I had already gone riding and was tired, but I had a rare cup of coffee (it's not a challenge right now) and it revved me up to bike to the gym. All the old familiar faces were there and I went heavy just to show off! then ran 3K and pedaled back home! Hurrah! Yeah, the avatar photo is pretty. I will learn all about Idaho from you!

jolly -- Oh, you are too sweet! I am not awesome, but, well....if you say so! Thanks! I hope your computer problems work out so you can get onsite from home. Sounds like the circuit class was good! You will remain in control when stressed!!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #58  

Height: 5' 8.5"

day 9 - exercise - good, 3 pauses left
day 8 - logging food - good 2 pauses left
day 1 - 64 oz water - good, 3 pauses left

Well, 1st day of water challenge and I barely made it! Within an hour of bedtime, I realized I was a good 16 ounces short. I did manage to get those 16 ounces in before bed. I must get that challenge done earlier though or I won't get much sleep with all the bathroom trips.

Red - good job on the challenges and the gym again! Yes, the calorie count is hard but I seem to do better with it. I wish I could be like you and not watch the scale and just concentrate on health, but I just can't get myself away from all that. Oh well, maybe someday it'll be less of a compulsion if I start to feel better about myself!

Keep up the good work everyone! Have a great day.
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #59  

Yikes. I just have time for a quick flyby. I still can't figure out why my home computer is keeping my out!

OK. Day one, both challenges met. Though, I must admit, while I met the challenges, I still did a bit of self medicating. Sorry. Day 2 looking good, though I need to make sure I do some abs tonight. Ran out of time after running this morning.

Have a great day all, and will try again to check in tonight
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #60  
Never give up

Morning all! Well, I did drag myself out of bed and am just having my morning caffeine shot. I think I may be overdoing it to get to the gym this morning. I just went last night. Still, if I can go I feel I should. Maybe I'll just cut down for this morning...

jolly -- Too bad about that computer. Have you perhaps inadvertently changed the bookmark or upped the levels of your filters. It would seem very odd for you to be able to access other sites but not 3fc...hmmm.....Good going on the challenges! You know, I was wondering if you shouldn't change your expression "self-medicating" to something that sounds a little less beneficial. I understand how you're using it, but I would never do that because I know my brain would see it as a good thing and obviously, from the sounds of it, you don't consider it a good thing. Well, good luck. Get those abs done!

dj -- Another day in the bag! Gotta laugh about the water. I admire your dedication! It's funny, how you can not mind the calorie count and I can stay off the scale. I never thought of it as feeling better about myself, but you may be right. I think it actually is the reason I don't get these same old 25 lbs off that I've wanted to for years. I like having weight to throw around...in more than the literal sense.. I think that with the years of riding and especially heavy weight-training I canceled out a lot of the effects of attacks on my feelings of self-worth. The non-weight-related things I did gave me a sense of my own power. These challenges I hope will do that for some people. For me, I think they are mostly about holding myself accountable as I have a bad tendency to procrastinate and let things slide. Maybe, dj, there is something you can do that you really bring home to you just what an awesome woman you are and you won't allow things like weight to harm that knowledge. I can't say it really well...but I hope you can get what I'm saying.

Others!! Where are you?! Come in and post!!