Old 04-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #1  
burned out bus driver

Default Teachers successfully losing weight- going for the home stretch to summer!

Belated Happy birthday Robyn! Sorry I have been up to my eyeballs to notice dates and the like. Hope you had a great day and were treated like the a queen- you deserve it. How are you in points land?????? (you mentioned being over, that's what those 35 additional are for!)

Mouse- I love my cheapo vacuum........picks up lots of cat litter from my 3 critters.

Do we really have to go back to school??????????? Had one 3rd grader who made me a lovely picture and said she missed me! (see, I am not really such a monster all the time).
Got a walk in........so far have been a pretty good girl. But I can feel the water weight creeping in......oh joy.

Anyway, gotta go back to the salt mines (courtesy of Robyn)- short staffed so I am doing a regular HS/MS then my elementary- which you know I love so! (ugh). See ya later!
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:01 PM   #2  
burned out bus driver

Chatting with myself here.....been good all day and it was stressful. (I hate a regular HS/MS run!). But I am glad it is all over, and there is a nice bowl of sf jello waiting for me in the fridge. Nite!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #3  
Swimming Mouse

Evening, all.
Thanks for the new thread(s!), Ginny!
Today was a good start to hopefully a good week. Chronic Absentee Darth Student was out again. She went to a funeral (I'm not sure we believe this) on Friday, and didn't come today. My Spanish-speaker left early.
We got a whole lot of work done for our activity at the airport, including some of the cards. A lot of the FAQ cards so the kids can give information back are done.
My school actually paid for the materials to make them! Wooot!!!!
And we had an incredibly funny incident as a direct result of this whole thing: one of my kids was transcribing his notes (highlighted information from the Red Cross website), which included the distance each hotel is from the convention center. Important if you're like me and can't walk real well!
Anyway, he's got the hotel name typed, the address... and the phrase, "Distance from the convention center: 5 blacks". My TA and I just about fell on the floor laughing. My TA even demonstrated how we'd show people at the airport how to find their hotels... "Go to the convention center, and walk down the street counting. :he points...1, 2, 3, 4, 5: Oh! There's your hotel!"
I got in an awesome swim: the gym was crowded, but the pool was empty so I had the lane to myself for most of an hour... and swam for over an hour. Its so nice when I can do that!
Need to go eat and work on a paper for grad school. We have a faculty meeting tomorrow, so I need to be at work earlier than usual.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #4  
burned out bus driver

Mouse- bet that swim felt SOOOOOOOOOOO good! A lane all to yourself!
Gee, I like your directions- had me howling too! Lots of luck with the CADS- funeral eh?????? Not sure if I would believe it either.

Aw crum. Spent way too many hours in my tin can today. I was punching out, looking foward to a few hours off......when a coworker (actually, the woman who trained me, who is a saint BTW) ran into the office, visibly shaken- her son just informed her that a tree (large willow) fell down on their house. So she ran out to go home....leaving her mid day run (I don't have a mid day, nor do I want one) driverless- I tried to sneak out only to hear my supervisor call my name........so I spent a lot of quality time in my tin can today. Somewhere around 6 hours........yuck. (I helped out because of who I was subbing for and because my supervisor is permitting me to take off the end of my route Friday to attend an award dinner for Dd)
So my day stunk........I am pooped......WW tomorrow.
G'nite
Old 05-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #5  
Swimming Mouse

Evening, all.
I guess we are all seriously busy! I worked all weekend between the gym & Red Cross stuff. I did an event at the local National Weather Station; they had an open-house this weekend, so disaster services set up a table. I had thought we were going to be inside, but we were not... so I wound up with a nice sunburn. Good thing I was there in the MORNING and not the "peak" hours between 12 and 2. I normally have sunscreen with me if I know that I'm going to be outside because the meds I take say I shouldn't be out in the sun... but I didn't have any this time. I've been smearing aloe on myself since Saturday, so its mostly gone.
Then, Sunday, I wound up guarding because the teen that usually works that day had some class or osmething to do. His explanation was very convoluted when he came in Sunday afternoon, because he'd told me on the phone something about college; but I found out he's only a high school junior! I'm sure he's LOOKING at colleges, but it wouldn't have been such a serious issue as he made it sound.
Today was a strange day at work; nothing bad happened, and we did pretty well getting work done... but it was definitely strange by the afternoon. Started with us having to lunch duty: we normally only have it every other day, and today wasn't our day!
We were all working away, bell rang for 8th period, one child left, and then two reappeared with the reading teacher. They need help working on research projects and she has too many kids to give them 1:1 attention. So, I'm helping them, my TA is playing Uno. I hear on the walkie, "If you're ready, go ahead..." and I look at my TA and say, "Gee, I hope we're not going to have a fire....." and the fire alarm goes off! My one student with seizures can't be in the building during a drill, because he has a seizure. Given this was so late in the day, there was a huge possibility he'd have a seizure on the bus on the way home; it usually hits him 20-40 minutes after exposure to whatever (we're not sure if its the light, the sound, or fear). I could find the nurse, of course because she goes out front! We're in the back. Then, it happened right as one of my students was leaving for dismissal. Fortunately, he came back to us, because he didn't know what else to do. At least he didn't stay in the building! I had to apologize to his Mom because he was late for a doctor's appt. because of the drill! Then, the nurse decided to call the parents of the other kid so we didn't send him home on the bus... nobody on his bus is trained to deal with his seizures, so we didn't want to risk it. He's lives really close to the school, but still... And, finally, the parent of one of the other kids showed up to sign the paperwork for him to attend summer school! A very busy, very strange afternoon.
The good news is that I received permission from the principal to buy t-shirts for the kids out of my community instruction fund for our day we're greeting at the airport. I wanted the kids to have shirts with the school name or logo on them, so they were all somewhat uniform. The local chapter is going to give us shirts for another day. Me? I get to wear my one and only Red Cross shirt both days. :sigh: And it proclaims I am from the Central Maryland chapter! I don't have one for my current chapter; all they have are t-shirts, and only in a large. The large fits, but between it being a white t-shirt and not "big" on me, I won't wear it around the kids.
Should be interesting! I expect to be utterly exhausted after we're done at the airport...
Old 05-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #6  
burned out bus driver

Seriously busy and overwhelmed. Hopefully get time to breathe tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #7  
burned out bus driver

Up .4 at WW- good meeting though. And I am PMSing- so no biggie. Got a walk in with my WW buddy. So far I have been pretty good, kind of bummed though. Dh has been strange recently. Hope this passes quickly, but I am prepared for this to be awhile - I know he is still reeling from the loss of his Df. It is affecting him in ways he never thought it would. So, I guess I am on autopilot awhile longer....did I mention I am tired of this?
I think I will shut up for now, feeling far too negative and it is time to return to work.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #8  
burned out bus driver

Gee, this weight loss journey has been such a struggle recently. I am such a burnout. And getting rather lonely here...........
Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #9  
Swimming Mouse

Hi, Ginny. And everybody else! I see Ginny's talking to herself, so I won't feel TOOOOO guilty about not being here. I think I've mentioned before that I hate weeks that are mostly B days, because I run around constnatly and never get a break. Getting to the gym has been really difficult because last week I stayed after school 3 days... one day, I went to my grad class then came back for our Poetry Slam. A friend of mine from my old school (one of the only people from that place I talk to), came down to host it, so I had to take him to dinner after... We stayed and talked till nearly midnight! It was tough getting up the next morning, let me tell you! I also had to have my ultasound for my annual physical one day last week, and there's just no way I can go swimming after THAT. Ick.
This week, I've had 2 days where I had to stay after school... and the one day I thought about going, I went to the grocery store instead... Good thing, too... There was a major shooting on the road that I take to get to the gym! Not only would I have never gotten to the gym... they closed the road... but I might have been just in time to see the whole thing. Apparently, this guy went crazy and then started blasting a local police department.
I have to stay after school Thursday and Friday this week too. I'll be at my mom's on Saturday, but I have a gym up there I can use. Thank goodness!
My class was at the airport today, and tomorrow. Things went well, though we only had one person that we got to help. We all missed the boat on the lunch plans... We'd planned based on the map that the airport publishes on their website. Allegedly, there was a Subway and a Pizza Hut as well as a sit-down restaurant before security. The Subway and the Pizza Hut don't exist. And, we didn't have passes from the airport to get through security. The only other way is have a plane ticket. Obviously, we didn't have those!
I have no idea why the airport advertises all their shopping and restaurants if you can't USE them!!!! I had to call the school, and they got the cafeteria to hold one lunch line for the kids. One of the news-stands had sandwiches, but they weren't your average sandwich. They had a couple of normal salad-types: chicken or tuna, but most of the kids were grossed out by the turkey and horseradish, and the ham and brie. The Red Cross has promised to do a food run for the kids tomorrow since they have a van on site with free parking passes.
At least, I don't think I've gained weight. I *feel* like I have, but I don't think so.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #10  
burned out bus driver

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Its FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All the little monsters are home.........school bus is asleep..........yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!

Mouse- thanks for chatting with me here! gee I was getting lonely. Enjoy your visit with DM this weekend. Hope you get some gym time in. Sorry that things have been so hectic for you, but it seems as though that has been the way for all of us. (where are you hiding,Pam and Robyn?)

No time to fill you in on my insanity......better go pretend that I want to make dinner. Take care.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #11  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Found you....now it is thundering and getting ready to storm.... so I'm LEAVING! But, I'll be back! I didn't even get to read any of the posts!

take care,
Robyn
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #12  
burned out bus driver

So glad you found us Robyn!!!!! PLEASE come back, I am so good at talking to myself, but am a bit loopy here! Aw you knew that anyway!!!!

Good weekend, or ok I guess it was. I had both MIL and my DM over for MOthers day, so needless to say, I cooked and worked.....not much of a day off. Dh says he will take me out next weekend when we are at Ds's- you guessed it - baseball tournament!!!!!! Ah, the sweet romance of a nice dusty, sweaty,hot ball field......., abusive fans....bad coaches.....can't ya feel it in the air!? Can you tell I am losing it??????

Anyway , on a lighter note, Dh and I am going away for an overnight- ALONE- to celebrate our anniversary. We have reservations at Sturbridge Mass, a place we both love..... Can't wait!

Gotta go help Dd with this awful report that the first phase of is due in 2 days. Imagine a knuckleheaded teacher who throws a MAJOR assignment this late it the year? Ok, I will shut up.
Nite!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:00 PM   #13  
Swimming Mouse

Evening, all.
I love going home, but I sure can do without the smoking. Both mom and grandmother smoke, plus my aunt was there (the reason I went up this weekend!) so there were 3 smokers. Consequently, I now have a major cold and am busy hacking up a lung. I have cough syrup left from the tiny bug I had during/before Spring Break, but that stuff keeps me awake. I guess I'll call the doctor tomorrow.
I don't have TIME to be sick this week!!!!! Really! Saturday is Prom, and we're having a horrible time trying to find Darth Student a dress. She probably weighs close to what I do... anywhere between 275 and 325. And its darned hard to find a formal above a size 16 anyway, never mind that formal dresses are usually 2 sizes smaller than the label because of the way they are designed! I don't know why I care so much given what the child has done all year, but I do.
We're all going in a group... I bought my two girls their corsages...
Then, we have to take books back to the library, we need to go to Home Depot or Lowes so they can practice those measuring skills by helping me by screening/chicken wire for my balcony. Mom gave my kitty some grass, and I want to put it on the balcony for him to eat... but I won't let him go out till I screen off the rails.
We are also doing shopping for the department: our school has a lock-in graduation party the night after graduation, and I volunteered my kids to do the shopping and such. Finally, we're also going to do a bowl-a-thon for the local Red Cross. I totally DO NOT have time to be sick... and what am I? SICK!
ITS NOT FAIR!
Old 05-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #14  
burned out bus driver

Mouse- hugs........sorry you are not feeling well. I hate to tell you- but there is a nasty spring cold going around, my Dh and Dd have it, and are feeling pretty nasty.But I am sure being around smokers did not help one bit...... Bless you for attempting to locate a dress for Darth Student.......not sure if I have the patience for that.

As of this moment, I would seriously strangle the teacher who assigned this darned state report so late in the year! Dd is feverishly working on it- the dumb thing is just massive...should have been assigned in January (as it was when my 2 oldest had to do it and they had 3 months to complete what we have been given 5 weeks to do). So I am rippin' ticked....tired...and just want this year to be over!

Going to WW tomorrow, I think however I won't WI. I have eaten everything in sight...and just want a meeting and some peace....is that too much to ask for?
Nitey nite!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #15  
Swimming Mouse

Well... I went back to work today even though the opinion of most was that I shouldn't have come. I did it because I didn't know Darth had found a dress. She says she has one... I hope so. She was supposed to go (she was invited, and I said I'd pay for it) to get her nails done with the other girls today, but she didn't come in. I can't say I'm disappointed: I'm not unhappy to miss a 4 hour trip to the mall!!! I obviously haven't been swimming at all this week, either... :grrr:
I talked to my doctor yesterday because she called me out of the blue with blood test results; I guess she thought I'd already seen my endocrinologist. I haven't, because of the state testing. I had to find a day that we weren't doing something, that I didn't have a kid testing, that Prom stuff or other stuff wasn't happening... Anyway, I don't see her till next week.
The good news is that the insulin levels are back down from the medication. My fasting glucose was up a bit, but it still wasn't high. Its usually like 80-81, this time it was 93. That could mean that my body is using the insulin better so that its not always too low or too high.
The cholesterol was the same, though the good cholesterol was up. The bad news is the testosterone is up AGAIN, and now they are also showing an increase in DHEA which creates testosterone and cholesterol. I read a little about it yesterday, but it didn't make sense: some people claim that hormone can help reduce insulin resistance and high cholesterol. My doctor also told me that not having gained any of the weight I lost back is flat amazing... but I made it clear that I wasn't necessarily thrilled with this because I haven't LOST any new weight in quite a while. All I really want is to be able to buy a pair of jeans in a department store. Or something other than the awful knit pants that I always wear. I don't think that I'm asking for too much. Women who are heavier than I am can do that!!!
In other news, I REALLY need somebody to stop me before I volunteer again! Please, tie me down!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE??? My Red Cross chapter is starting a youth iniative. We do not currently have more than 5 active youth volunteers in the chapter. The Red Cross charter only mandates 2 things, really: services in an emergency (includes military personnel), and services to youth. That last one is often put by the wayside, especially in this day & age when it is so hard to get into schools. That or the chapter looks at the swimming lessons and babysitting courses as the services to youth.
I was an active volunteer because I watched my mom do it, and I know that some of my students have become active community volunteers (in any group!) because they've seen me volunteer. I went to a private college and graduated with little debt (only $26K with interest over 5 years) because I had scholarship money for volunteer work AND good grades. How can I not volunteer for something like this?
But where am I going to get the time????????????/