Steel Magnolias #6

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Good evening, Flowers! For some reason I could not get in here last night. I waited and waited but the little thingy just kept spinning away. We made a flying trip to see the kids and grandkids last night. This is Beth's weekend to work so wanted to see everyone if we could.

It's cold and windy in my corner of the world tonight. We are supposed to get some freezing rain but so far nothing has materialized. This morning we drove 2 1/2 hours one way to spend a half hour with my 'mom.' She had a knee replaced on Thursday and has the roommate from he**. The woman hogs the TV and phone, which is not a problem except very annoying when someone wants to call in, plus butts into our conversations. Verna tries to ignore her but that's pretty hard to do. Verna is hoping to go to her daughter's tomorrow and get some much needed sleep. She can bend her knee and walk as far as she is supposed to according to the doctor's orders. They have a brand new huge Target store so we did some shopping while we were there. On the way in Bob said we weren't buying anything because we shopped in Maui . . . . he found stuff for the office so walked out with a couple of sacks.

'Gma' -- We are having trouble with graffiti in the school bathrooms lately. I sometimes use the students' because it is closer to our classroom. The other day someone had written on the paper holder. You couldn't see it unless you were sitting on the toilet. I had to take the time and go to the office to report it -- makes me mad and I feel sorry for the custodians because they have enough to do as it is. Our school also hosts all state music try outs on two different weekends, so we have to button up the stuff twice in the fall. You'd think kids would have enough sense to leave things alone, but they do stupid things when they are with other kids. One teacher had her plants turned upside down a couple of years ago.

I'm heading off to bed. Have a relaxing Sunday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • Good morning flowers! We are supposed to get some stormy weather today, but it is going to be tremendously warm this week so I am not complaining. It is supposed to be in the 60's through Monday then in the 70's the rest of the week. I am waiting for a couple deliveries though. I have a close friend in Indiana I buy all my Home Interiors from (she gives me a 30% discount on top of any discount prices the company has for the month) and so I just bought a bunch of candle stuff for the house so it will smell all nice when my sister gets here. They have these new colorful striped pillar candles and I bought two for my downstairs bathroom which is accented in bright colored stripes. I also got candles for the bathrooms and one for the extra bedroom with a candle shade. I am a fragrance freak and always have some kind of fragrance going on in my house. Jack hates having smells in the house, but I don't like having the occasional pet smell or sausage smell or something in my house! The bad thing about candles is they leave smoke redisue on stuff and you can't get around it no matter what kind of candles you use. I still would like to start my own business making them and taking them to fairs and such, but will probably hold off until Jack retires to do that and the he and I can run it together. I also bought 6 new bras online as they were having a big sale.

Jean: We had to run errands yesterday morning and actually just bought what we went in for. I wanted a couple good artist's brushes to use when I do painting touch up so I don't have to tape everything and we needed a piece of coax cable to splice for the extra bedroom's satellite box. It was too short to go to the box from the wall. We had lunch at Olive Garden, ran by the grocery store for a couple things, came home and Jack had to go out to work for like 5 hours. He wasn't too happy about it, but the only other guy that will work overtime was moving his mother in law in with them this weekend (she has ALS) and wasn't even available so it was up to Jack.

I watched an interesting movie yesterday afternoon/evening. It had Ted Danson and his wife Mary Steenburgen in it about a man who can see dead people and helps the lady cop solve murders. It was a long 4 hour movie that may have been a mini series on tv once, but it was not creepy. I mean, I don't believe that way, but like other things, I can enjoy something without necessarily agreeing with it's premise.

Anyway, hope you all have a wonderful Sunday and a good start to the week.

Faye
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! No sunshine in my corner of the world today. We got up to clouds and rain, but it's not cold enough to freeze. I've got laundry going and have been sorting through vacation literature.

'Gma' -- I had candle soot on one wall in my livingroom from a candle burning in the kitchen -- perfect stripes where the studs are. I bought a candle warmer from the Hallmark store, the kind that the jar fits inside, and I love it. I did figure out that I should replace the jar lid when it is off so that the smell stays in the jar longer. I also have a warmer that looks like a little hot plate, but it seems to take longer for the candles to melt. Where do you buy bras online? I've ordered from the same catalog for years (not online) and the last time when I ordered she said it would take 8 - 10 work days. Well, 13 work days later, I get a LETTER telling me they are back ordered! I was torked, cancelled the whole order, and told them not to send me any more catalogs. I don't know why they don't sell online, but I would think that when I placed the order they could have checked on the computer to see if the bras were in stock or not. Sometimes I can find them in a department store, but usually I don't take the time to look for undies.

I hear the dryer buzzing so need to keep moving. Have a nice 'rest of the day.'

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Good morning gals! We had a nice big thunderstorm last night that knocked out the satellite but other than that nothing major. I am sure it is working this morning again. I just haven't turned the tv on. Supposed to be around 66-70 today.

Jean: I order my bras from Justmysize.com. I like their panties and have been wearing their stuff for a long time. I don't really wear my bras out so much as the darn washer or dryer will twist my hooks even when I hook the bra to wash it. Guess I need to go to hand washing them. I just bought 6 new ones, 4 white and two colored. They have Playtex, Goddess, Bali and the like besides their own brand. I am over endowed so I have to find them online or go to someplace like Catherine's, which would cost me a fortune for a bra.

I have never used a candle warmer as I wasn't sure how well they worked. I like a lot of scent and I have found that some candles do put out a lot and some don't. I really like the Home Interior candles and with the deal she gives me you can't beat it. I also like Yankee Candles, but they are pretty expensive. Maybe one of these days I will just start making my own!

I need to get hopping. I started the painting touch up yesterday and need to keep on top of it and get it done.

Have a good day girls.

Faye
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining but it is a cool 43 degrees with a slight breeze . . . better than snow any day! I stopped on my way home to deliver a baby gift so have one more thing crossed off my 'to do' list. It was a pretty calm day at school which was nice for a change.

"Gma' -- Thanks for the website; I will check it out! It sounds like you are rolling into spring weather! I'm pretty sure we will get one more snow before we are officially done with winter. At least it won't last long this time of year. Hope your painting goes well. It seems like I always miss a spot and have to get everything out again.

I need to dream up something for supper. Bob is at church for practice and should be home soon. Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!