Did anybody else watch this tonight?

View Poll Results: Would you ever get plastic surgery or liposuction?
Yes, would do it for sure
21.43%
Yes, if I had the money
28.57%
Yes, but only to fix a major concern of mine
0%
Only if I was in an accident and needed it
21.43%
I've thought about it, but probably not
21.43%
No way!
7.14%
Not sure
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lifetime Real Women network has this new show called secret lives of women. I was watching it tonight and it was about women who are addicted to plastic surgery. I was totally appalled! This one lady was 71 years old and half of her face was paralized from all the work she'd had done! She was mad b/c she couldn't find any docs that would work on her anymore!
    There was another lady, in her early 30's, had 2 small children. She and her family lived in this amazing house out in the Redwood Forest with several acres of land and they had to sell their house (over $1 million) b/c they were so far in dept due to all of her operations!
    Ok, this actually makes me really mad! Here we all are, trying SO hard to loose weight the right way. We're geting support, working hard, eating right, and not to be "perfect" so to speak, but to feel good about ourselves, to be healthy, and to live long lives. But the women on this show were so selfish and self centered that they didn't care if they and their children ended up lving in a cardboard box! As long as they had big boobs and flat tummies . . . that was all that mattered!
    My hubby was watching too, and he pointed out that the girl who was obsessed with getting lipo on her tummy, had no stomach muscles at all!
    He was like, her stomach would look a lot better if she just did some sit ups instead of getting lipo every couple of months!
    What are your veiws on this?
  • Hi Mel
    i didn't see this show, but did catch an Oprah recently that was about women who were addicted to plastic surgery. I can understand why women struggle, to tell you the truth. I think we can get all out of whack with what we aspire for our bodies to look like, instead of loving ourselves for who we are. I suppose I could point the finger at unrealistic body images in media....'cause they are there, but I think that' simplistic.
    I also think we are wired to resist aging, which is sad, 'cause you know it's a fight everyone is going to lose eventually.
  • Hi Mel,

I voted yes!

I didn't catch that show but have seen other shows about women who are obsessed about their image. What is sad, is they don't look any better after. I'm talking about the ones that have dozens of surgeries for this and that. I don't see anything wrong with it if it is to better yourself a little and make you feel better about yourself. Like me...I do plan on having a facelift when I turn 50. I've always had these bags under my eyes that I hate and my eyelids droop so for me it is to enhance what I have and make me feel better about myself and look better. I would never have a nose job, lipo or a boob job though. Or any of the other surgeries out there. I've seen on these shows how they do lipo and it just looks so scary. And having bigger boobs, ummm, no thanks. Big boobs are so overrated and I don't understand women wanting them 2 or 3 sizes bigger than what looks normal for their body. So anyway...

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's not excessive and you don't go broke doing it.
  • I also saw the show. Yes, it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round. There are all kinds of addictions.
    I believe that some people really benefit from lipo suction and plastic surgery. Like for instance when you lose alot of weight, you work out like crazy and you can't lose the extra skin. That is when plastic surgery can make all the difference in the world. IF you can afford it and it will make you feel alot better, I say why not?
    Just my opinion.....
  • Really, the woman with 2 small children who spent all the money getting tons of work done made me mad. Her husband worked very hard to give their family so much, and then she took it all away! They had to sell the house b/c she was spending so much on herself! I think that is selfish.
  • Oh - I must not of seen that show - sorry. The only way I would have any work done is if we could afford it. I would not make my family suffer for it...