New and need Advice

• Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this site, but I thought maybe it would help me at this time.
    Last night I weighed myself and found out I am at a all time high of 292 lbs.
    Since dieting at Christmas is very hard to do , I thought that I would just try not to gain anymore weight during the holiday. Am I making the right decision or should I actually try to start a full blown diet??
  • ChrisPA - Hi and Welcome......
    I think you made a great first step by coming on here. This is a great avenue for support and solid 'getting healthy' information.
    This may very well be the hardest time of year to lose or maintain weight. Which ever you choose to do - your going in the right direction.
    First, have you picked your method of attack? The real decision is up to you about starting a 'diet' now or not.
    Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • Thanks for the welcome. I have not tried this support route before.
    I think I will watch my carb intake. Maybe the South Beach would be best. I probably wont't start that until after the holidays. As for now, I will try my best not to gain any weight.
  • That is a great place to start. As a matter of fact, many of us on here use that goal right now too.....Good luck....
  • Hi Chris

One thing you could do right now (rather than starting a "full-blown diet") is start practicing by gradually cutting out certain things. If you go to a holiday party and there's a plateful of very yummy looking cookies, have one or two and say "no" to more. If you go out to eat, order a salad instead of a burger -- or maybe a chicken sandwich. The next time you reach for a non-diet soda, have a glass of water instead. Eat an apple (or other fruit) that you wouldn't normally have. This doesn't need to be every day -- just now and then. I can almost guarantee that the more GOOD choices you make, the easier it will be to make more AND it will be much easier to go "full-blown" when you decide to. That's how I started by the way -- by gradually making healthy changes (3 Cokes a day instead of 4, etc.)

When you're shopping for holiday gifts, park farther away from the mall than you normally would. LOL, you might have to ANYWAY considering how close we are to Christmas. But instead of saying, "Oh crud, I'm 3 miles away!" look at it as a positive thing -- think about the extra calories you'll burn on the hike to the mall!

I always say starting gradually is a huge help when you're starting out. You'll get in the groove of saying "no" to certain things and finding healthy alternatives for what you'd normally eat.

And who knows, you just MIGHT lose a pound or two before you even start! And that would be a GREAT holiday gift to yourself, right?
  • Kate - That is great advice........I think I'll take it too.....thanks
  • Thanks to both of you. I do need encouragement. That is a great idea to think about weight loss a s a gift to yourself. I do like that.
    As far as the soda goes, I really don't drink much and when I do it is diet.
    I know that I need to exercise. I have an exercise glider at home and I will begin using it NOW. I will also try to eat healthy during the holiday, and not over indulge.
  • As a woman that is over 300 lbs, I can tell you that any walking you can do will help. The suggestions made were all excellent and I have a few more. Start to "de-sabotage" your home. Getting rid of stuff that you know will make you eat it. You may be making family treats and tasting one or two is ok, but get rid of stuff in the freezer like pizzas, egg rolls, high fatty stuff and replace it with something better. Get rid of those all fat chips and get baked ones or pretzels instead. Start cutting back on SUGARED SOFT DRINKS! They are the deadliest thing on a diet. Start to wein yourself off so much salt too and now is a good time to start doing that. Next time you go to the grocery store, pick out just 2 fruits and 2 fresh veggies you would normally pass by then try them at home. One of the things I found that helped me immensely is bringing stuff home and bagging into portions. It takes time, but is well well worth it. If you need a snack, you can grab a little plastic bag of baked chips instead of the whole bag or some cut up veggies. One of the most important things is get over the idea of a diet and start thinking "health" change. Work everyday on thinking that you are doing this to make yourself more healthy. Don't concentrate on can't haves but what you will be able to do.

Wishing you the best of luck

Faye
  • I really don't have those high fat things in my freezer and I do not drink sugar soft drinks. If I buy those bad snacks at the grocery store I usually eat them all soon as I get home. I can over eat on healthy food also. I guess I am a binge eater. I am not a heavy salt user either. I have to watch the carbs because they really pull me in and make me eat more. I think I have to concentrate less on food and more on health as suggested. Food is fuel and should be kept at that. I guess it is easier said than done. But I have to give it my all and get over the food thoughts 24/7. Exercise is key, however I seem to always make excuses for not doing it. I have to get past that and really work.
  • ChrisPa - It only takes 21 days to form a habit. I say just start exercising everyday, even if it is 20 minutes - then in 21 days it will be the norm for you.
    I think you'll do great - you sound very serious.....