Steel Magnolias -- #44

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It is past midnight here so it is officially Sunday. I'm on my way to bed but snoozed on the way home so I'm not all that tired. I know morning will come early since DH has to be at church by 7:30 and I'll get up when he does.

I didn't get much shopping done today. We got a late start and spent more time returning an item to Menard's and looking for plumbing parts that DH needs for the cabin next summer. We also stopped at Target; at least this time they had an empty space for the juice glasses I've been looking for. The clerk said a truck was coming in tonight which doesn't do me much good. I gave Beth money and she will check on Monday for me. We were going to stop by the mall but the parking lot was 99% full and I didn't feel like battling the crowds. I guess we will drive over some afternoon after school and get some shopping done. I need to make a list of who I need to be what for. The birthday party was a hit as I knew it would be. Everything Ian opened was his "favorite" thing and just what he wanted!

'Gma' -- The last time we went to a movie (I can't even remember the name of it) some guy came into the row behind us and dumped his drink down the back of our seats! The movie had already started so he was being rude in the first place! I don't think the kids did anything too damaging to the computer. We have to log on as either faculty or student and they logged out as faculty and back in as student. They dumped a program which the computer tech put back on without any trouble. They could have done major damage to grades if they had opened those files. I'm sure we will see you before Tuesday but if not, have a safe trip and a

Have a super Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Good Sunday morning gals! I am the opposite of Jean and a real early bird this morning instead of a late one.

Jean: I love going to the movies and Jack doesn't. This theater was PACKED and it was huge and sold out for our show. That is why we stood in line 90 minutes so we could be at the front of the line to get a decent seat. Besides, I found out later, they were running two theaters with the same run time so all the crowd was for 2 theaters not just one. The crowd wound around the mall clear back to the parking garage I guess is what the police officer said. I was impressed with the amount of teens and kids there that it was quiet during the movie and no cell phones going off.

Jack's baking was a disaster, but I am not sure it was entirely his fault. I think the recipe was rotten to be honest. I am going to get him another blondie recipe and brownie recipe he can make that will turn out ok and he can still use the mixer. He left a mess that he said he would clean up later, but you know what batter does in a bowl let alone caramel. So, I cleaned it all up and was a grump the rest of the evening because it is pretty cold here and my calves and ankles and hips hurt so much yesterday. I chalk it up to standing up a lot and walking yesterday as I went to the commissary and it was a zoo and I had to stand in line about 15 minutes or so to check out. Today I need to wash sheets, do the upstairs carpet, do some baking and start getting things ready to pack. We pick up the SUV tomorrow afternoon so we can get it packed Monday night.

I got up at 3 AM and put a chicken on to cook for chicken and noodles. Today is the last race of the NASCAR season and Jack's favorite driver is ahead in the point standings for winning the series championship (which is a bazoomba lot of money like 4-5 mil I think,) so he will want to watch it and I need to have something he doesn't need to help with.

This second blanket has some beautiful colors in it and I think they will like it. I knitted a whole skein yesterday, but now need to go back to the scarf and hat!

Well girls, I need to get organized for the day as quietly as I can. Have a lovely Sunday!

Faye
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun if finally peeking out and it looks warmer than it feels outside. I went to early church and made a Wal-Mart run afterwards. Oh, how I HATE that store but it is the only place open before noon on Sunday as well as being the only place to buy some items. I have the coat closet torn apart looking to see what I can get rid of. I have a bunch of gloves that are similar but I sure don't know why. I must have kept buying when I couldn't find a pair!

"Gma" -- We aren't big movie goers . . . I guess we must have gotten our fill when we were dating. We had an ex-BIL who was a gourmet cook but he left the kitchen in such a mess one didn't know where to start cleaning it up. Everything was sticky and every pan, bowl, and utensil was used. DH is good about cleaning up his cooking endeavors!

I need to go pick up some cookie dough I ordered from the church youth group. I don't know why they can't deliver except it is the junior high group and I suppose the parents don't want to do the running.

Have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Good morning ladies! It is pretty mild here this morning. I had a little scare this AM. I came down and turned on the lamp over the entertainment center and it blew and scared me. I went to one of the other lamps and nada so figured I blew the circuit. None of them were blown that I could see. Anyhow, when Jack came downstairs he helped me check and kept popping the circuit, with sparks and boom coming out of the lamp each time. It is now in the garbage. I hate to lose it, but it is about 20 years old!

REMINDER: I will be gone until next Monday in Indiana.

I talked to my son yesterday as he called to ask about snacks, sandwich fixings and stuff for his house. He was trying to get his dad to eat egg beaters, which he absolutely refuses to do, and it was kind of funny. He started laughing when his dad was on the phone with him and I was talking in the background. He said we were "old" as only old people both talk at the same time! If he wasn't 6'6" and a black belt in jujitsu I would smack him!

Well I have to get going and take Jack to work. I have to take Fortune to get groomed this morning, run errands, pack, bake cookies, and then pick up the rental car this afternoon so busy busy.

MAGGIE, GLORIA, GAIL, SHARON AND JEAN: Have a wonderful and blessed with your family and friends and I will see you on the flip side!!!Faye
  • Where did the weekend go?! It went by in such a flash! I want a "do-over"!!!

Friday night was quiet. I started knitting the Aran Pocket Shawl in blue heather for my oldest daughter. She's very excited about it. I am too...right now...I'm in that "honeymoon" stage with a new project.

Saturday morning I went grocery shopping. I have to go back (again) because I forgot some key ingredients for Thanksgiving Dinner. I'll do that tomorrow night after work. (Tonight the little munchkins come over so nothing gets done.) Then a quick trip to the mall to buy a birthday present, a couple of picture frames, books, etc. Then DH, along with my oldest daughter and her husband, went over to my youngest daughter's house where a surprise birthday party was being set up in her honor. Her husband took her out to a movie while the preparations were going on. My youngest was truly surprised! The house was packed with people and good food! Add in the little kids running around and there was not a quiet spot anywhere! It was fun! And ummm...my "baby" is now 30. I have old kids!

Sunday morning, DH and I went out looking at furniture (again). No...we didn't buy anything...yet. We will. We ran a few errands. Came home. DH grilled hamburgers on the grill. I knitted the night away.

But the weekends always go by too quickly!

ONE of the best things about the weekend was that I was on program. Totally.

I guess Maggie has left for her new location and is now truly...wireless.

And it sounds like Faye has left for her trip as well. Sorry I missed wished you a Happy Thanksgiving! I very rarely go on-line at home these days.

So...Jean, is it just going to be the two of us here?! Gosh, I loooove Target! I wish there was a store closer to me. But everytime I'm near one I go inside and come out with a cartload of stuff! Just love that store. I don't like Walmart but I go there for a few things only because I have to. I haven't done any of my Christmas shopping yet! Not one present!!!
  • MareMare
    Hey Magnolais,
    It's me Mare (one of the founders of this thread) Wanted to stop by and say "Hello" and "Happy Thanksgiving" It's been a long time for me, but after loosing Randy it's just been really hard for me to talk to anyone one much about his passing. It's been 2 1/2 years now, and I'm just now feeling a bit better about his passing. Yep I gained some wt. I'm the fattest I've ever been!
    I'm working in Real Estate now and I love it. So if you need an agent please contact me and I will find you one! Here is my website.
    http://mwbarber.yourkwagent.com/home
    Please check it out. I haven't any listing right now, but soon will have.
    Well gang I've told you all my busisness - would love to here back from you.
    Email me @ [email protected]

Love to alll

MareMare ... B-)
  • I just got home from card club and wanted to check in to see who has visited/posted today.

Next week is turning out to be a crazy week with something going on every night. I don't like that but can't change the schedule now. I guess that will give me an excuse to be behind in my holiday decorating, card writing, etc.

"Gma" -- Have a wonderful week with your family! Travel safe!

Gail -- I agree that the weekends fly by!

Mary -- What a nice surprise to see you tonight! I am heading off to bed but will chat with you more tomorrow!

Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean --- from Iowa!
  • Happy Tuesday afternoon!

I will be so glad when I get my jeep back! I don't like driving DH's big ol' truck. Other drivers on the road should be very afraid when they see me coming.

A miraculous thing is happening--I've been on program since Friday. I stepped on the scale and I'm losing weight. What a concept. Stay on program; lose weight!

Mare! I haven't "seen" you around in ages! Bless your heart. I'm so sorry about Randy. And that seems so inadequate to say to you...but I am sorry. I'm happy for you that you are starting to see some light in your life. Best wishes on the career. Weight can come off. You know that. You'll get it off again. So will I. Would you come back to post with us?

Jean, ohmygosh my life is going to get so hectic starting...tonight. I'll start preparing for Thanksgiving dinner tonight. Tonight I make the cornbread that goes into my cornbread sausage dressing. Because Mom and Dad visited a couple of weeks ago I don't have to do quite as much house cleaning--just freshen things up a bit. I'll do that tonight also. Tomorrow I'm working but I'll be getting off work early and tomorrow night is when I'll do some heavy duty baking. I'm prepared. It looks like it just might be you and me in here for awhile. I'll try to get in here and post each day except for Saturday and Sunday--I'll be out of town. Otherwise, I'll be home.
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! Not much newsy from my corner of the world . . . the clouds have rolled in and it is dark and gloomy. The kids were getting "squirrel-li-er" by the minute today. Either weather is going to change or they have vacationitis a day early . . . probably both!

Gail -- It was nice to see your post today! I hope Mary will come back and post also! DH drives a big pick-up and once in a while I get stuck trading vehicles with him. I don't know where the back end is and that makes me nervous! I do like sitting up higher though. He has all the bells and whistles plus the IMAX (?) radio which I enjoy. I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving with your family. I'm glad I don't have to cook except to make a salad. Of course, then there aren't any leftovers either.

I have to keep moving -- have WW in an hour. Have a nice evening and a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • Happy Day Before Thanksgiving!

Jean, I'm getting off work today early this afternoon. Hopefully, my jeep will be ready. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the back-end of the truck!! Where is it? Oh. It's waaaay back there! I want my jeep back. Well, I'm cooking. A lot of food. But I'm okay. Good luck at WW or have you already been by now? Amazingly, I'm on my 5th day of being ON PROGRAM. The big question is will I make it on program tomorrow--the biggest eating day of the year: Thanksgiving.

I'll try to check back in...this weekend...except for Saturday for sure--out of town taking my FIL back home and then seeing my parents.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OUT THERE LURKING AT THIS THREAD!
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! We got out of school an hour early today . . . kids were off the wall. One of the teachers, and his peer help class, fix a turkey and trimmings dinner for all of the ESL and special ed. students, all of the teachers, administrators, etc. Since the whites are now the minority, he ran out of main course food! He uses a special ed. classroom that was set up with a kitchen and has tables set up out in the hall for people to sit down and eat. Next year he is talking about taking over the cafeteria and feeding the whole school. I made a quick stop at the grocery store and I think every senior citizen was there! The ones who ride in the carts park right in the middle of the aisle and will not move until they are good and ready. GRRRRRR! I hope I remember to shop early when I'm retired and have the whole day to myself!

Gail -- I maintained at WW last night. I was pleasantly surprised since we didn't meet last week because of the weather. I tend to gain if I skip a weigh in. Congrats on 5 OP days! You are doing great! Enjoy your long weekend with your family and have a !

I'm off to make my salad for tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Good Evening, Flowers! I fell asleep during Survivor and have been picking up the clutter after the show ended. The kids and grandkids are coming tomorrow, Saturday for sure. They are predicting rain turning to snow toight so we'll see. We had a nice day with my 'mom,' my 'sister,' and her husband. We only live an hour apart but never seem to get together other than our week in MN and the holidays. They had fixed the turkey and trimmings dinner with pecan pie for dessert. The pie was the best part . . . my favorite dessert is pie. I didn't overeat and am kind of hungry now.

Tomorrow morning I have an eye appt. -- the latest contact still isn't the right correction and my patience is wearing pretty thin. I'm glad I only have to drive a couple miles to the office.

Hope you all have a nice day tomorrow! For those of you shopping, good luck! I hope you find all of the bargains you are looking for!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • Good Evening, Flowers! We are under a winter storm watch until 5AM and then again tomorrow night through Monday. I have a feeling that the rain, sleet, and snow is bound to arrive one of these days. My house looks like a tornado went through! Because Kolby is crawling we have to block the "down" stair steps with the coffee table. Everyone using the garage, guest bedroom and bath, or wanting to go to the basement has to navigate over or around said table. Jason and family arrived in time for lunch and stayed through supper. Ian and Maddy managed to drag out every toy, plus parts, and scatter them throughout the main level. Everything that sits on the floor had to be put up so Kolby wouldn't eat it or break it. Zowie stills stays in one place but maybe by Christmas she will add to the mayhem! I feel like all I've done today is cook, wash the extra dishes, walk and rock babies.

I hope you all had an enjoyable day today and that tomorrow will be even better!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • Evening ladies! Quick post tonight! We got back around 4:30 but had to unload, take the rental car back, pick up some dinner then clean the whole mess up from the trip. You know me, can't wait until tomorrow so it is all put away, cat litter all cleaned, animals all fed and taken care of, luggage all unloaded, trash all collected and taken out and Christmas presents all put away. I have two loads of laundry washed and one in the dryer and have 2 more to finish then we will be back to normal! Had a nice time in Indiana, but darn it if it doesn't snow on us every time we go up there. Did the very same thing last Thanksgiving. (I suspect Jean sent us her SNOW! It was nice to visit with my family and my friends, whom I miss so very much. Keep your fingers crossed as my dil has quit taking the pill and they are working on having a baby, whoopee! She bought me the most beautiful handbag and told her fil that she is going to buy me one every year and said she thinks next year instead of a bunch of smaller gifts she will get me a coach bag! COOL!!!!! He just rolled his eyes!

We went out with some of Jay's and Alicia's friends to a bar in the Marriot hotel on Wed night and that was fun. Particularly since one of the guys picked up the bar bill! They were three old bachelor guys that used to live across the street from my son and dil. One is a college prof, one is a grocery manager and the other guy acts like he chewed too much lsd in the 60's. The guy is nice but FLAKY! We then had dinner at a fun hot wings type restaurant and that was a blast too.

I bought a whole bunch of candles from my friend that sells Home Interiors so my house smells all pretty this evening. I think I am going to crash on the recliner for about an hour then head up to bed. I would like to get one load of clothes folded and put away if I can.

Take care and I will talk to you in the morning.

Faye
  • Happy Monday everyone! I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. This year I wasn't even stressed out in the kitchen preparing the big feast. I found the secret (for me) is to be ONLY ONE in the kitchen.

Good for you Jean! A maintain at the scale is during the holidays is a very good thing!

Faye, sounds like you had a very nice trip...ohmygosh...you make me tired just reading all you do when you come home from a trip! But...at least it's all done and you can relax. <whispering> ...my oldest daughter is no longer taking birth control...