Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #16  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Jane, my mom changed my name back to her maiden name,,,not legally so when I went to get my SIN I had a tough time. So I went from a good Irish name to a very Native French name...and now I have a Dutch name..lol I was really happy about loosing the native name,,there are just too many law breakers with that name. Hated being associated with them.
Marti, hope your feeling better soon...I know it hurts. Yuck
Katy,,what is cranberry nut rolls? Or I should say,,,do you have a recipe. That sounds so yummy.
We already have plans for Christmas,,,we will be heading to our old neighbhours in Sylvan. We have been spending Christmas eve with them for about 12 years now...last year was a first we didn't, they had gone on holidays to Thailand. Im 80% done shopping,,,just have Monte and his birthday gift. I have a few stocking stuffers. And another 4 gifts. Im going to try and write a letter this year...*sigh I say that every year...lol
Well of to rehearsal...
Old 11-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #17  

Height: 5'1"

Just wanted a quick hello here!

I made it to work only to turn around and go back due to a fever coming on. It was such a long drive home!! Then I spent the rest of the evening thinking I was going to die w/out James being there to nurture me back to health.

Today I'm feeling extremely week. Very tired, and just not in the mood for anything! But it's the weekend. I hate to waste it away on doing nothing. So....I think I'll waste part of it, until James gets home. Then we'll see what happens.

I'll do individuals later.....I'm going to go take a nap.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #18  
kitty Momo

Good Afternoon

Sorry you aren't feeling well Marti - especially when no one is around!

I cut my finger last night - bleeding all over and sure to pass out with no one there to appreciate my suffering - almost seemed a waste. I called my mother wanting her to come to watch Gaby ( who was asleep - this is 10pm at night) while I race to the emergency to get sewed up and her reply is "you don't need stitches, as long as the cut isn't on your face. Just wrap it up and go to sleep." UGH..........it is a nasty cut. I was cutting a slice of KFC chicken to dip in the coleslaw that I bought. 10 piece meal for 15.99 - blah - blah.

I am heading for JoAnns because I can't find my coupon for Michael's. Gaby & I are determined to make candy canes for the XMAS tree. She made one at the sitters and was so proud. I was thinking of boxing up some of her arts/crafts for her father??? I thought that was a nice thought until I thought why????? I torture myself - I want to share her with her father - who else would think she is just as wonderful as I do??? *sniff*......Doug adores her but it isn't the same.

btw - her name is my maiden name. Though it was HIS after the birth. I think that was my first trip out after recovering from the childbirth was to department of vital stats to change her name - lol Since he wasn't on the birth cert I didnt have to have permission. .....and he wasn't on the birth cert because I was legally still married.
I know.......what a muddy past I have! lol.

k - going. Hope you all have a super weekend.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #19  

HI Ladies!
I'm back after about 10 days away because of computer problems. Hope everyone is OK.

Marti - I've had a few infections - not fun. Hope you're better.

Tomorrow is my granddaughter Chloe's 5th birthday. The party is here since their apartment is so small. But somehow this year I ended up making the cakes & cupcakes. I'm not sure how that happened??!! I have the 2 cakes done & will do the cupcakes shortly.

Work has been busy. One of the other transcriptionists resigned so I have a feeling there is some overtime in my future - that's OK, the $$ will come in handy for the holidays.

My back & hip has been bad again. I don't think I've walked upright for about a week now. Went to the chiropractor this morning & it's better. I just have to be careful for a few days.

I've been really careful with my eating plan these last 2 weeks, but nothing is happening. Trying not to snack in the evenings is the hard part.

Time to go make the cupcakes!

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Connie
Old 11-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #20  
Give me strength

Gawd help me! Monte brought home not one but two cases of nanaimo bars...each case has six containers of the horrid stuff...*teeth gritting,,,I need to resist.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:11 PM   #21  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Back again for just a few minutes.

Connie~nice to have ya back! Sorry about the computer problems. Hope the birthday party is fun!

Susan~so did you make it to the emergency room or do as your mother said? I think if you thought it needed stitches then it probably did. Hope you are not in pain.

Angie~what the heck are nanaimo? Never heard of them but they must be good if you are having a time to resist them. Tell Monte to get them out of the house!

I guess I am different from you ladies...I would have never changed the kids names regardless of the father, the association of it etc. I wish I would have kept my first married name because I don't feel like a R******. And the name is so interesting. Plus I had been a F*********** longer than anything else. Although, I still use it. About meanings...the kids last name means to turn and kill. You should see the looks on peoples faces when they tell them that! Anyway...the reason I came back, other than to say HI...was to give this link to Marti or anyone else who may want to take a look. It's to the magazine Looking Good Now! I know you said you might check it out Marti and this will save you from buying it if you don't like it. I just came across the link today when I found the October issue. Thought I had subscribed to it but apparently I forgot so did so online. Here goes:
http://www.lgnmagazine.com
Okay, I'm outta here...going to go make some cornbread muffins to have with the chili and some pig in a blanket for DD because she doesn't like chili.

Hope you all are having a great weekend! See ya
Old 11-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #22  
kitty Momo

No , I listened to my muther. I went to Plaid Pantry which is a short hop up the street and bought a box of bandaids and 2 lo carb beers.
Went home and "doctored" myself.
It hurt last night but not today. I cut myself again tonight trying to open up a can of tuna, because the can opener was dull and I used a knife.....to pry it open.

yes,,,,,,,I use to be a blonde....lol..

Anyway, I bought my first tacky glue at JoAnns!! yay,,,,,
Old 11-12-2005, 10:16 PM   #23  
RosieKate

First, it's tacky glue, then it's mod podge...next thing you know you've bought a hot-glue gun and your hot-gluing dingle berries to a lampshade!

It's a good thing

So is this....

www.craftster.org

Let's all craft away! Ar least I will when I am done being addicted to knitting socks

Cheers

Old 11-12-2005, 10:58 PM   #24  
a work in progress

Happy Saturday!

WI today, not too good, up a pound, kind of been see-sawing back and forth the last few weeks. Disappointing because I've been trying to be good, but I haven't been drinking water like I should, and had stopped writing everything down and weighing and measuring everything, so back to the drawing board. Just gotta keep plugging along and not give up, 'cause I'm in this for the long haul

Was a busy, busy day. After WW (we go to the 6:30 am meeting on Saturdays so it doesn't interrupt the whole rest of the weekend), we went to Home Depot and Costco. Tim crawled around under the house to hook up cable for the TV in the spare room, and we bought some heavy duty wire shelves for the closet in the spare room -- want to make better use of the space. I've been inspired by Clean Sweep TV show, and even got a Clean Sweep book at a book fair at work. So tonight, now that we have cable in that room, maybe work on the closet while we watch the hockey game tonight.

Cristi, I'll post a few recipes on the recipe thread I agree, we can definitely do a WW-friendly Thanksgiving...and least not a WW-enemy Thanksgiving! Our WW leader does a really scary exercise each year -- gives you a paper plate and has you write what you typically would eat at Thanksgiving, with the portion sizes and points. Holy cow!!! It's hilarious because people are appalled at what they typically eat, you can hear gasps and shrieks of disbelief throughout the room, but it's very eye-opening and makes you realize that you should really choose what you love best, and forget the rest.

Hi Connie, good to see you again I used to make a birthday cake every month for the birthday potluck my team has at work, but finally put my foot down and told them it's too hard for me to do while I'm on WW. But for a granddaughter's 5th birthday? You bet I'd bend my rules and make her cake!

Susan, sure hope your finger is ok...stitches are important if the wound is likely to scar, but also if the edges won't close and it won't heal properly. What is Gaby making the candy canes out of?

Marti, I've had bladder infections before -- not for a long time, thank goodness -- and they can really make you feel miserable. Make sure you take ALL of the antibiotics you were prescribed, even if you start feeling better, and make sure to keep drinking lots of water and cranberry juice to keep flushing out your system. The more you drink the more you have to pee, but the more diluted it is with tons of water, the less it will hurt. And if you are prone to get yeast infections from taking antibiotics, like I am, try eating some yogurt that has active cultures, like Yoplait or Dannon. And get lots of rest. Sheesh, can you tell I'm a mom?

Angie, I can't believe you are done with your Christmas shopping! I haven't even started. Well, only a little...a friend gave me a loose aquamarine that she didn't want, and I'm having it set on a post as an earring for Mike (it's his birthstone). I'm also looking for a good sale on a basic house/auto toolkit, because he's always calling us to borrow a hammer or a tape measure. And we already told Noah his big Christmas present was his ticket to NIN, but I know we'll get him something else anyway. No clue what I'm getting for Tim, maybe a nice leather motorcycle jacket. Mailing was such a hassle last year, and I won't be doing my typical cookie baking/candy making frenzy, so I think I'll mail gift cards to Tim's mom, my mom, and my sister's family, much easier. We need to be a little bit conservative this year, because we are saving to go to Disneyland on spring break, and want to go to Vegas in June, too! And I'm with Cristi -- what's a nanaimo bar?

RosyKate, your dinner sounds like it will be wonderful. Are the cranberry walnut rolls and the pumpkin muffins WW friendly? If so, I'd love the recipes Interesting that you mentioned baking soda in water to help bladder infections...my mom swears by that to help get rid of a cold.

Jane, I know what you mean about messing with tradition. I miss having dinner with my sister's family since they moved to Idaho, but I like having more control over what I serve. My sister's family had to have jellied cranberry sauce out of the can and yams canned in syrup with half a box of brown sugar and half a bag of marshmallows on top...but last year Tim and I weren't even doing WW, but I made the homemade cranberry sauce and the whipped sweet potatoes, and we loved them. Little changes help, like making the green bean casserole Tim loves with 98% fat free mushroom soup, and only sprinkling the French-fried onions on top for flavor, instead of mixing a whole bunch into the casserole. And I always make a huge veggie tray to nibble on while the turkey roasts, and put out dip made with fat free sour cream, and no one knows the difference.

OK, the hockey game is on, so duty calls...gotta go support the San Jose Sharks!!!

See you soon,
Mary Kate
Old 11-13-2005, 01:42 AM   #25  

Hello again girls--

I thought I would pop in again to see what you've all been up to. I've been running a fever all day today! I had no idea that you'd run a fever along w/this so I had to look it up and see why, something to do when your kidneys have been infected. Just wonderful.................

Jame got home this afternoon. And he brought me home a bouquet of flowers, some sparkling cider and dinner! Just love him! He felt bad being away while I've been feeling bad.

Angie--You had me curious as the other girls so I had to look up what a Nanaimo bar was.....looks good. http://www.dougbelcher.com/nanaimo-r...bar-recipe.htm check it out girls......no wonder you're gritting teeth!! Just send each of us a treat and it'll all be out of your house!

Susan--Good lord girl.....I think we need to remove all sharp objects out your house and Susan proof it!! As for wanting to share Gaby...that's the wonderful mother in you. I think it's a wonderful you would want to do that no matter what an arse he is. I don't particularly care for Jhanai's dad, but since he is her dad, I do what I can to make him feel part of her life when it comes to holidays, since she's always w/me.

MK--Thanks for the advice on Yeast Infections. I forgotten about that. So I will make sure I do everything possible to keep that out of my system. There is lots of yogurt in the fridge since James eats it a lot due to tummy issues.

Cristi--I haven't actually seen the magazine in the stores. Maybe I'm just forgetting the name once I do start looking, or they don't have it here...I will keep looking. The link got me interested! Thank you for sharing w/me! Oh!!! and thank you for the postcard!! I got it yesterday! Adding it to my others!!

Jane--I was curious about the watch cap too. Glad you cleared that up! Just imagine what was running through my head!! You know, I didn't even notice if we didn't get mail yesterday....I hadn't check it in awhile and I had a load of it in my box when I checked it last night. I need to check it more often....I might have a winning check in there!!

Katie--So are you going to knit me some socks?? Boy, they sound like they would keep your feet VERY toasty!! My great grandma used to knit us slippers every year, as kids, we were always thinking "man, slippers again?" But you know, I miss those slippers!! Need to appreciate everything I get and don't take it for granted!

Connie--Glad to see you back. I've avoided overtime at work as much as possble. I don't think it's appreciated as it should be. So I figure, I would take a break from staying over until they realize that people are getting tired of being taken for granted and learn to appreciate us more.

I hope I got everyone....I'm sorry if I didn't, but I think my heads going to roll off if I don't get of the computer. Take care and I will chat more when I'm between feeling woozy!

Night!
Old 11-13-2005, 03:15 AM   #26  
Give me strength

Even if I sent you all one box I am still left with one case...and I crumbled..I ate 2! Mixed with popcorn.

Marti, what Katie says,,,drink lots of water and cranberry juice. Even though its like all you are doing is sitting there in your bathroom,,,drinking and sitting...drinking sitting,,,sitting and drinking...been there down that.

Cristi going to go check the mag out too...I just got hooked on a book called ME Magezine. Really enjoy all the articles.

Well off to bed i go...
Susan be careful please...
Old 11-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #27  
GmaTo8

Hey ladies,

Katy - yay for the 2#s lost with calorie counting. Are pumpkin muffins one of James' favorites? They sound good with the cream cheese frosting.

Cristi - I saw shawls at Kohl's in Evansville. If you can't find one around you, you can always get one online. I do some of my best shopping online, lol. Your park pictures are very nice. I espcially like the views from the bridges.

Angie - oh, I just love getting Christmas letters. So few people do them. Our lives around here are pretty boring, so I never did do one. Is Sylvan close? I think it's so cool that you usually spend Christmas with your friends there.

Marti - glad you're feeling a little better and that James was so good to you. Take it easy today, friend.

Susan - we used to make candy cane ornaments with lace and beads. So pretty! Glad you now have some tacky glue. Never know what you may need it for, lol. Sounds like you may need it as a stitches substitute, lol.

Connie - have fun at Chloe's birthday party today. Share pictures if you want - we'd love to see them.

MaryKate - I usually am the one to take veggie nibblers to holiday get-togethers just to make sure there's something I can grab to avoid something else much worse, lol. Love the grape tomatoes the best.

We went to a wedding last night where Mary was one of the bridesmaids, and the twins were flower girls. They forgot to drop the petals on the way up the aisle, but made up for it on the way back down. Petals everywhere, lol.

Well, I think we have finally picked out a floor plan. It's not too big, but the master suite is nice-sized. And there's a morning room with 3 windows all in a row that will face the horizon where we can see deer and small animals early in the mornings.

Have a great Sunday!
Old 11-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #28  

The party's over.....! There were about 20 people here for Chloe's birthday party today. Last year there were over 40 & I told my daughter that her dad would have to have a party for his side of the family & I would have one for our side because I just couln't do it any more. Chloe was a very happy and tired little birthday girl.

Jason (DS) just left to go back to Columbus after the party. I always worry until he calls that he got home safely.

I have one bathroom decorated in yellow "duckies" with quiet a few yellow, squeaky ducks sitting on a shelf. One of our grandsons loves to play with them but now he has hidden a lot of them & I can't find them! So I've been going through the toy boxes trying to find my ducks!! Maybe I have too much time on my hands !!!

This next Fri. is when Megan ( my DD) is having her surger for cervical cancer. Please keep her in your prayers. It has been scheduled for about 7 weeks now and they are hoping it hasn't start to spread. Always something to worry about.

I might try WW again. I just seem to be struggling with the Michael Thurmond thing and I'm not sure why because it really does work. I think I'm actually afraid to lose a lot of weight. I feel that people will expect more out of me if I get thin and I just don't have any more to "give". Taking care of DH and working is all I can manage. Taking care of Chloe a few nights a week adds to things too. Maybe I'm crazy or something, I don't know. My doctor keeps telling me that losing weight is easy - you just have to do it. (Spoken like a man). Then I reallly criticize myself for being so weak and giving in to the wrong foods. I guess I'm ranbling, not sure what the answer is.

Time to get a last load of laundry done.

Connie
Old 11-14-2005, 01:04 PM   #29  

Morning Ladies--

My wonderful husband left to head to K-Falls (Klamath Falls). He has decided that when his training is over, he wants to stick to the pool that goes to K-Falls all the time. That way, he'll definately get days off all the time instead of working every single day w/out a break unless he calls in. That'll be nice. I've finally gotten used to his schedule and can get an idea when to expect him home.

Have you checked out the cute new smilie?? I'm going to have to use it somewhere...

Angie--Maybe you could send us a couple treats then??? You know it doesn't hurt to have a treat every now and then, as long as you continue w/the program that you're on.

Jane--Your floor plan sounds so wonderful. I want to wake up in your house and see deer and other wildlife!! Are you feeling better about having to rebuild? I bet your DGD were adorable flower girls!! How sweet that must have been to see!! going to share a photo w/us?

Connie--Your DD will be in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that nothing has spread and that everything will be fine. Sending you a hug!

Well I have to say I'm definately feeling much better! Amazing what antibiotics can do to a body!! Yesterday James took me to a Crafts Fair at the fair grounds. Not a lot going on there, but he knew I wanted to go so we went....I was feeling tired and weak still, and at one point he looked at me and said..."I need to get you home, you need more rest time" Of coarse stubborn me wanted to check out the new "Super Walmart" first, and being out of the house instead of in bed all weekend was nice.....but after walking around Walmart, I finally agreed that yes....laying down would be great. Now, I sure wish I could take off from work for the rest of the week! Heck....the rest of the year would be fabulous!

Ok...I'm going to take my pills and go lay down. You all have a great Monday!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #30  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Smile

Hello ladies

I finally finished the other book this weekend. I started on it Saturday night and finished it last night. I mentioned it on the book thread that I bumped up in case anyone wants to share any books they have read or are reading. Vince and I finished up some yard work preparing for winter. The only thing left is to unhook the hoses so they don't freeze. Didn't/haven't gotten in a walk yet. I did something to my back yesterday, not even sure what. This is the second time in two weeks which is odd. I don't usually have back problems unless I am gaining weight and I am losing! Needless to say, I didn't go for a walk. But I am going to aim for at least a slow mile on the treadmill, a little bit is better than nothing and I don't want to push it and make my back worse. I'll feel better in a couple of days and then can resume my normal walking schedule. I am happy to say that I am DOWN 2 pounds this week and I am loving being a loser!! 8 pounds to go until my first goal is met! I am hoping to be down another 4 by the end of the month. And if I can keep walking I am pretty sure I will be. I have noticed a difference in my eating. While I still eat the things I love and want, I am eating less of it, which is key for me. I am getting four bottles of water down most days. I would say 5 out of the 7 days I drink four bottles and the other two days I get maybe 2 or 3. For me that is good.

Jane~I do love that park, just wish we were closer to it. I would go everyday. The plans of your house sound really nice. Bet you guys can't wait to start. I will definitely have to check out Kohl's online and some other stores. I didn't see one I would like at Penney's so didn't bother looking anywhere else. Bet the twins were very cute in the wedding.

Susan~well, I hope your finger is better. Someone mentioned glue and it made me think about a new glue that dr.s are using now instead of sutures. I saw that on the news a while back. Looked kind of cool and you don't have to go back and have the sutures taken out. Have you and Miss Gaby started on those candy canes? That's going to be fun!

Katy~checked out the site just a little and it is cool! I will go back and check out everything in a while, just kind of skimmed it.

Angie~no wonder you are/were having a time resisiting those bars! They look delicious! Of course I am weird and wouldn't have a time...I like chocolate but can't take too much. There is a dessert at Olive Garden that DS and DH will get once in a while...chocolate lasagne...oh my goodness!!! It looks good but too much chocolate and too rich looking. I'm the weird one who likes chocolate cake but without frosting. What's ME magazine? I'll see if I can find it...I am a magazine junkie I swear. I have cut back though and only get the ones I really want...Better Homes & Gardens, Midwest Living, Backyard Living, Country Woman, WW, MORE and now Looking Good Now! Jeez, seeing that in writing seems like a lot and just think I cut back!

Marti~oh, I completely forgot about yogurt until MaryKate mentioned it! I do hope you are feeling better today and James is a sweetie! You are welcome for the post card...wonder why it took so long for you to get it?! I mailed it the day we were leaving Atlanta, which was two weeks ago! You know I looked for that magazine at Wal-Mart and our local grocery store and didn't see it anywhere. I discovered it at Target and am wondering if they are the only store that carries it, wouldn't think so.

And sorry ladies for not sending one to everyone. Time just got away from us and I didn't get post-cards till we were leaving to come home. I sent my mom one and two to myself (I collect them and like them post-marked from the place I get them from when possible-I know weird!) but remembered Marti collects them also so thought I would send one to her. I promise one to everyone next visit! I even did a Jane...I made address labels so I wouldn't have to take the address book, but still didn't get one to everyone.

MaryKate~I would be ever so grateful to have your recipes. Once in a while I do mess with tradition because I like something different once in a while. But I still fix everyone's favs. Like the exercise the WW leader does with the plate, it really would be an eye-opener! What was an eye-opener for me at one of the meetings was when she (the WW leader) put in a bunch of nibblers in a bag. You know how people will take a bite of something, or a cracker here, a piece of cheese, a tootsie roll, a hersey kiss, a bite of this or a bite of that...well she put it all in a bag and added up the points of a bag of bites and I was amazed. I don't think people think about those little bites of this and that adding up to much when in fact they do. I'm like you...haven't gotten far with the Christmas shopping.

Connie~glad the party was fun! I used to feel guilty when people were always asking or expecting too much from/of me. I learned it was okay to say no and not feel guilty, took some time though. Don't feel like you don't want to lose weight because of that...just remember...it is okay to say no! I bet your duck bathroom is cute! I've seen a lot of the duck stuff at Target and thought it would be a cute kids bathroom, only I don't have small kids. Will keep your DD in my thoughts and prayers this week.

Well, ladies it has taken me a little over an hour to post! I have been trying to water the yard in between and I didn't want it soaked. The last watering for the season. V put the winterizer on it last week and for some reason it stayed kind of on top of the grass. I am going to mow it the end of the week and was afraid the mower would blow it off, to where I don't know. So I wet it down today since it is supposed to be cool the rest of the week. And now I need to go and check on a couple of things online and try to get that 1 mile walk.

Take care ladies and I hope you are having a wonderful Monday!
Closed Thread