Highest weight EVER!! Trying again.....

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I started a "new" calorie-counting diet four weeks ago today. Then I weighed in at my "highest weight ever" of 266 pounds. My goal for today was to weigh in at 255, a loss of 11 pounds in four weeks. Not undoable, right? Well, this morning I weighed in at 270 pounds.

Time for a "new" new strategy, because at the rate I'm going, I will weigh in at 300 by the end of this year, middle of next.

About myself: I'm 29-years-old. I'll be 30 in January. I've always had a problem with my weight (well since about the 4th grade, anyway). When I was a child, as soon as I got off the bus at my Granny's house I had food waiting for me. 2 pot pies, eggs and bacon w/homemade biscuits, bowls of cereal, etc--every day there would be great-tasting, very high-fat food waiting for me. I'd eat then and again when I got home to Mom & Dad's house. In no way am I saying that my family is responsible for me being fat, but the foundations were laid early. To this DAY, I still "have" to eat something as soon as I set foot in the door. It's a mind thing.

The first time I ever hit 250 lbs. I almost had a panic attack; went on a calorie diet and lost down to 219. For the longest time I kept my weight steadily between 230-240, and even though I wasn't HAPPY with that, I was OK there. I've always joked that 237 is my ideal weight.

I got a new job in October of 2003. Along with the new job came a new place of residence and, of course, a new boss. I began suffering anxiety in relation to the boss. Just couldn't cope--hated to get out of bed and go to work, which I had to anyway. Some people deal with stress by not eating. I'm the opposite--I eat and eat and eat!! Between October and March I had gained about 15 pounds. To help cope with the anxiety, I joined the gym in the city where I lived. I lost the 15 pounds, and was back to 235-ish territory. That was good.

Did I mention the new job? Travel was a part of that (yeah, that was back when the gov't had money ). In July I got to spend a week in Omaha, Nebraska. Ate out every meal. In August, spent a week in Little Rock, AR (ate out every meal). In September, spent a week in Kansas City, MO. Ate out every meal. In January, another week in Little Rock. I did, however, take my food that week (had a room with a fridge and a microwave). I had pretty much quit weighing myself by then, so I'm not sure exactly what I weighed at the beginning of that week. When I got home the following Monday, though, I weighed 256.

Since January, I've gotten transferred back home (Oh, I guess I should throw in the fact that I got married in November of '04), I've lived with my husband (who wants MEALS) since June 1st, and I have continued to pack on the pounds.

Anyway, that's just some background (very slight, I know).

Since today is August 1st AND a Monday, I thought today would be the perfect day to try something "new" dietwise. I am going to start eating at Subway. Yes, I'm going the Jared route and eating the "Subway diet." I know it'll be costly, but I'm willing to pay the price (my plan is to buy a footlong at lunch and eat 6" for lunch and 6" for supper). I also know it'll be the same food over and over and over again. I can cope with that. I actually am not bothered by eating the same things consistantly. Plus, I will add some variety by eating cereal for breakfast every day--I can change types of cereal--and eating a couple of 100 calorie snacks throughout the day.

I changed my ticker this morning. I put the scale away this morning. I'm not touching it again until next Monday. I'm trying to get away from the incessant need to weight daily.

If anyone wants to join me, no matter what diet, you're more than welcome. If not, that's fine, too. I really just started this thread because I thought it would help ME to feel more accountable for my actions if, perhaps, one or two were actually checking in and reading about my journey.

I won't check in every day. I don't have a computer at home, and I get way too busy at work to 3FC every day. I will do my best, though.
  • 1st day went OK. I only walked 1.2 miles and had planned on much further, but it was H-O-T and I had no way to carry water. I probably won't do much more today, though, because it's hot again and I'm a wuss. I did "walk" several soybean fields today--maybe I burned a few calories doing that.
  • Hey, welcome to the neighborhood! We would love to have you join us over at The Royals thread if you'd like to....we are a small group but there is always room for another at the palace. Drop by...kettle is always on.
  • Thanks for the welcome, Wildfire!!
    I may mosey on over there later. I'm just not feeling much like royalty yet.
    __________________________________________________ ________

Today a colleague joined me for my Subway lunch. I had a fattening cold cut combo (I love bologna, I know some folks think it's gross, but not me!) and she had a Subway Club, which is on their 7 under 6 menu. I grabbed one of their nutritional guides as we were leaving to head back to work. This is what I found:

My sandwich, with cheddar cheese & lite mayo had 455 calories and 22 grams of fat (assuming my sandwich-artist only used 1 T of lite mayo).

Her 7 under 6 sub, after the addition of cheddar cheese, lite mayo and vinegar & oil had 470 calories (that's assuming the sandwich-artist only used 1 T of mayo and 1 tsp. of vinegar/oil blend) and 21 grams of fat.

Hers cost $5.20-ish for a 6" meal deal. Mine was $5.98 for a 12" meal deal. Tell me eating "healthy" doesn't cost more!

Even though I splurged and got the higher-calorie/fat sandwich, if that was all I had to eat today (along w/my fat-free chips, of course) my total caloric intake would be 1060. But, as I said in my intro post, I am also eating cereal for breakfast (Kellogg's Smart Start this week, next week will be something different) and a couple of 100-ish calorie snacks. Not count calories, as of yet, I'd ESTIMATE I'm eating about 1500-1600/day.
    __________________________________________________ ____________

I'm having a harder time staying off the scale than I thought I would. I am a scale addict. I know that the numbers can be deceiving, though, so I'm fighting my need with all I have! Hurry up, Monday!

My husband has started noticing that I'm not eating the same things for supper that he is. He has in particular noticed that I've been eating Subway sandwiches. As I didn't discuss this with him before starting, I am just now getting to hear his snide remarks about the way I spend my money and my new eating habits. He asked me last night how I thought I was going to lose any weight eating all that bread. I did not answer, although I could have pointed out 1)the USDA food guide, 2)the fact that I normally don't eat any type of vegetables with a meal (unless you count spaghetti sauce and/or manwich sauce--and I'd still be eating a TON of bread!!!), 3)my overall caloric intake has dropped by probably 1,000/day--if not more.

Maybe I'll get into all of that with him later. Maybe not.
  • Best of luck to you sweetie!!! The only suggestion I have is to maybe add in fruit (use it for a snack) and eat a few more veggies if you can handle them. Everyone is different, so no one can tell you this plan won't work. If you firmly believe this is the plan for you and you can live eating this way, then power to you and yes, it will work.
    To be honest with you, I get very tired of counting calories too!
    As far as hubby goes, tell him he can either have a healthy or unhealthy wife, but it is your choice... there are tons of people that spend way more then you are following different weight loss plans. Maybe even suggest he may like to drop a few pounds too, with just the two of you, eating healthier is easier then when you have a large family. you mentioned bologna, I saw the OM brand at the store last week, it was a light version. I'll continue to check in to see how your doing!

BTW: I just read today how discouraging scales can be if we weigh daily due to water retention etc. I think it is a wise idea to weigh weekly/monthly.
  • Hi Gayle! Thanks for dropping by!

Yup--I do need to work in more fruit. I've been trying to eat an applesauce cup for one of my snacks occasionally. Sometimes I'll drink a swallow or two of grape juice before I go to bed. As far as veggies go, though, all I get is what's on the sandwich. Of course, if I wasn't eating the sandwiches it'd just be whatever was in the spaghetti/manwich sauce. I am not and have never been a big veggie eater!

It makes me happy that you checked in on my thread over here. I'll be weighing in and posting my progress (if any) on Tuesday of next week, instead of Monday, because I'll be out of town and off work on Monday.
  • Nice to see a post from you sweetie!!! I have never tried it, but I read were some people cook the veggies, then blend them up to add to sauces and soups. Do you like tomato juice? If so, I buy the walmart individual cans of veggie juice (taste almost the same), chill until very cold and chug one every so often. They really help when I have the afternoon munchies. Also, a yummy way to get your fruit in....measure out 1 cup of frozen blueberries, pour 1 cup skim milk over the top and sprinkle with a little splenda. Let it sit for awhile and stir every so often. The milk turns into a slush like consistancy as the fruit thaws. I never knew I liked blueberries until I tried this.
    I'll be checking in Tuesday!!!!!
  • Hello! I read your thread and wanted to say "hi" and I hope you are doing well still! I really contemplated trying the subway diet, but ended up counting calories for two weeks. My daughter gave me the south beach diet book...I read it and said "THAT IS ME!!!" so switched to south beach. I lost 10 lbs doing calorie counting those first two weeks and now 10.8 lbs on south beach in about a month and 1/2...I went on a trip to Disneyland for 6 days and only gained one pound!! Not too bad for an amusement park trip!!
    It is so much easier to stay on a diet and be motivated when you are on a plan that works for you!! That is the key...finding what works well for you!
    I am happy you have found your gem!!!
    P.M. me if you want and keep me informed on how things are going!! I will also check back here!!!
    Thanks for sharing your journey so far!!!
  • 1st Weigh-in day results
    Before I tell my results from the first week on this diet plan, let me say that I didn't stick to the diet all the way. I did wonderfully through the week last week, but, as usual, over the week-end I ate too much of the wrong things. On Saturday I went to the in-laws house, where I had bb-q, with cole slaw, baked beans and bread. Chocolate pie for dessert. On Sunday I had supper at the Chinese buffet in Magnolia, AR. (Chen Chen, for anyone who lives in lower Arkansas, Northern LA, or Northeast TX, is the BEST chinese restaurant I have EVER eaten at--and trust me I've eaten at a Bunch!)......

Anyway, though, when I did weigh in this morning I was down five pounds.

I think I would have been down more if I hadn't splurged this weekend, but I'm happy with five pounds! My goal for next Monday is to be down three more.

Cheryl

P.S. THANK YOU Gayle and Shortiemetoo for checking in on my progress!
  • AWESOME JOB CHERYL!! Five pounds is FANTASTIC! You can do this! Maybe the plan for you could be Subway throughout the week and a day over the weekend. The other weekend day you could eat other foods? I have heard of people using a "free" day in their diet plans with great success. Either way, I am very proud of you and wish you the very best this coming weigh-in!
  • It's Monday! That means weigh-in day.

Well, I didn't stick to my "Sub" diet last week AT ALL. I had good intentions, just didn't follow through. As a result, I didn't even lose one pound!

This week it's back on the wagon, though! Next week I'm sure I'll have good news to report!
  • Cheryl, Monday is the start of a new week for you. Wishing you the very best this coming Monday on weigh-in. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Update
    I didn't weigh in at all this week. I know I should have, just to see the awful truth, but I didn't. I went to the boats over the week-end and ate at a wonderful buffet, plus, it's that TOM and I've been eating CHOCOLATE non-stop for the last four days.

I also have STILL not been exercising. I realize that I'm using the hot hot hot weather as an excuse, but it's just hard to work in walking when it's so dang sticky outside. The bugs don't help either! Thank goodness fall is getting near!

Class started last night, and I didn't meet my first mini-goal so I've got to change my signature to my second mini-goal.
  • Making time to walk is hard for me to do too Cheryl. Seems like life, weather or lack of motivation get in my way! I'm a firm believer in find something you really like to do, even if it is turning on the radio and dancing like a silly groupie! You will still be moving, getting your heart rate up and moving the body. Also, find an activity you can live with...if you hate walking, then you will never grow to love it to the point you will commit to doing it throughout the week. Remember baby steps work wonders, so what if you can't exercise daily? Make an effort once or twice a week and eventually things will fall into place.

Good luck with classes and weigh-in this next week!
  • I have gotten off the Subway wagon recently, due to meetings, lack of $$$ and just life in general. Today I decided to get back on it--after all, I lost 5 pounds during the week when I ate (almost) nothing but subs.

My co-worker and I walked to our Subway today and when I stepped inside I realized "Hey! I've missed these sandwiches!" Weird, huh?

I decided to try a sandwich today that I've never had before, the seafood sensation. It was actually pretty tasty. The more of it I ate, the better it was.

I have class tonight, which will be over at 6:15. As of now, I plan to stop at a Subway on my way home and get another sandwich for supper. I would like to lose three pounds by weigh-in on Monday--you know, get over this STALL!

GAYLE--one thing I have been doing by way of exercise this week, since I've started back to school, is parking a way from the building where my class is. It's small, I know (like you say, a "baby step), but it's more than I've been doing for the past few weeks. I hope the weather will start cooling down next week or the week after and I can do some serious walking again!

Cheryl