Back To Basics - August

You're on Page 1 of 7
Go to
  • Welcome to a new month! Can you believe it's August already?!? It's a new month and a new start.

I had a really good weekend. Got lots of things done around the house, exercised and watched what I ate. I lost the 2 pounds I gained while on vacation!

Today I plan on walking at noon and going to the gym after work. I had a bowl of Kashi Heart to Heart cereal for breakfast and brought a Lean Cuisine meal for lunch.

Have a great day!
  • Way to go, Roxy - for starting our thread. I can't believe it is August already either.

I had a good week. I lost 4.1 pounds. Hurray! Now I just need to keep it up.

Have a great day all.
  • Jolly - that's great! Keep up the good work!
  • Thanks, Roxy. I didn't make the healthiest choices today, but I also wasn't grazing. So, I am going to shrug, say ok, and remember tomorrow is another day.

Have a good one everyone.
  • Good morning everyone. I'm back! I've been away tending to my mom and dad and sorry I have not been in touch. I also have been really not watching my weight at all, too much stress. But, being home and getting on the scale again was a eye opener. I was back on program yesterday and plan on being back all week.
    How are things going everyone?
    Linda
  • Good Morning! I finally made it back to the gym last night. It felt so good, but I was so worn out when I got home. But that was okay. Anyway, more of the same for today.

Nice to see you checking in derry. I hope everything is ok with your parents. I know how stressful it can be.
  • Last month I lost 13 pounds, so I hope August is good to me also!! I can't believe I've been good for a full month! I've never EVER been so good for a full month! One more reason to prove that I'm fully committed this time around!

Yesterday was a great day!! I hit right at 1200 calories (I try to stagger them through out the week and average 1500 per day!) I also did 30 minutes of cardio, and 50 crunches!!

Roxymom, CONGRATS on losing your vacation weight!! I hope if I do gain while I'm on vacation next week that I lose it back as quickly as you did!! I hear so many wonderful things about that Kashi brand, but we don't have it here

Jolly, 4.1 pounds?!?! Way to GO!!!! I love big weeks like that, they are so motivating to keep my butt in gear! I hope this week is just as good for you!

Derrydaughter, Welcome Back I know that frustrating feeling of stepping onto the scale after being away for awhile I wish you the best of luck in staying on program again!

• Good morning, everyone. Glad you are back, Derry. Sorry things are so stressful for you right now, but good job getting back on track. Good job getting to the gym, Roxy. Good job on the loss and staying on track, Legal. You rock.

Just trying to stay sane here. Still working on finding a new barn for the horse and an apartment for me and the hounds. I did get out and had a VERY nice run this morning. Felt very good and reviving.

Food is ok. My big thing right now is resisting the urge to splurge. Now that I am moving, I really want to do some major redecorating. I do not have a budget for major redecorating. Must stay focused . . .

Have a great day all.
  • DERRY! I'm so glad to hear from you. I think about you every time I post. I hope things are well with your family!
    Great work Jolly! I'm sure your exercise program is really kicking in. You will keep reaping the benifits! Keep it up!
    I had a bad eating day yesterday so I'm going to be very strict today.Wish me luck!
  • bailing out of the pity party....
    Hi there. Got a bit of time to post here so I thought I'd say a bit more than the usual couple lines these days.

Roxy -- Thanks for starting up the new thread. Yes, isn't it amazing that it's August already?! Darn, this year is flying by. My birthday is next Monday and I don't like the number...oh well, I'm still going to celebrate. I always do. Want to be pampered or pamper myself on MY day! Good to hear you lost the pounds you put on over vacation. That's what we always should be doing, nipping things in the bud. Unfortunately, with me at least, a setback sends me hunkering down for the long haul it seems and I put on a good solid five pounds of pure fat, lose tons of muscle, etc. etc. Gotta stop doing that!

jolly -- What is this?!!? 4 pounds gone and you're not jumping for joy!! Man, I would be ecstatic. Come on, girl, this is major. No shrugging and saying "ok." It should be "Great balls of fire, look at me!! I am awesome!!!"

derry -- Hello there. Glad to see you're still with us. I know you're going through a major rough time, with lots of stress and emotional downers. I hope we can help in some way. I'm sure glad to see you.

Legal -- Look at you go! Wow! 13 pounds last month! Line up for your medal! You should be SO proud, girl. And exercising too. They say the combination, watching your eating AND exercising is the only way to go! Good for you!

Apple -- Heh there. One day does not a habit make. Enjoy your goof-off days. They make life fun!

Well, I'm determined to not let my lack of progress be seen as any stroke of fate from the heavens or an evil curse from ****. It's just an indication that I'm not doing something right. That's it. Pure and simple. Take the emotion out of it and look at it objectively. I was thinking yesterday about how little sustained aerobic exercise I do these days. I used to jog 5 K at the gym at least every other day. No wonder I had less fat. The weight training and walking just don't hack it for me, although they have helped me get tighter again. For a few months there I was doing nothing and I hated what it did to my body! Recently, however, I've raised the bar and then was wondering why the fat was still hanging on me. I was whining and wingeing and saying, this ain't right! Well, it is right because I just am not doing enough to burn off the stores of fat I've put on. So, that's what I'm going to focus on now. Pull out the heartrate monitor, start racking up deep breaths, heaving chests and pounding hearts. Oh yeah! And come fall (well maybe Christmas) I'll be out there causing a bit of that in the guys!

• Happy Wednesday!

Red - thanks for the support. I just love your posts. You are a great support for all of us.

Legal - 13 pounds! That's great! You are an inspiration.

I'm really tired this morning for some reason. Hard to get motivated. I did bring my workout clothes to work and plan on going to the gym later. Also plan on my 30 minute walk during lunch. The exercise part has been easy. With me, it's the food. I really need to consentrate on that this month. It really helps when I write everything I eat down. I just get lazy and forget. So my goal for August is to NOT forget. Write it down!!

Have a great day!
  • Hey all.

Red, I agree - I do love when you post. I am happy about the loss. I am just being realistic that I am still making some food choices I would be better off without. I am just glad I am not going into full all out combat stress eating.

Roxy - I hear you on the tired morning. I skipped the gym Ah well. I too have more issues with portion control and food choices than exercise. One day at a time, and one choice at a time.

Have a good one all.
  • Red- I know what you mean about the exercise. It's pretty crucial to weight loss. I'm not doing much at all right now, just 4-6 laps at the pool maybe 4 times a week or so. I'm hoping to get into some king of routine once the kids are back in school. Mean while I'm trying to keep the calorie count low.
    Today has been kind of a weird day. I'm taking my mom to the airport later tonight and I feel like I'm just waiting around for that errand. Kind of a blah day. I'm doing really well on my eating though, and I'm just going to have a Lean Cuisine for dinner and that will be it for the day.
    I want to move my ticker!!!!
  • somebody put a whip to me!

Hi all. Just trying to get my butt in gear to get out the door, on the bike and to the gym, where I will attempt to push and pull around heavy weights focusing on my chest and back and then, if my stars are out tonight, I will get on the treadmill and count out 5 K!

I don't know. I'm still at the computer here. It's going on 4:30 p.m. ... I'll try. You know, why can I get all focused and exercisy now and then go into lapses of sheer gluttony, nights on the town with endless pints, triple dip ice cream (ok, I ordered a double and then they said I get one more scoop free...yippee! NOT) Ok, so I had days of that, maybe weeks, maybe months and it was all so free and easy and then WOW, here I look at myself in the mirror, wondering how I could have done this. Well, ****, like they say, it ain't rocket science!

I remember something my bro said to me once. He said this to me through my tears after yet another gut-wrenching breakup with yet another loser...., "Look, you had your fun," he said. And, you know, he was right...I HAD had my fun. And I think that marked a turning point....if you do something memorable, you will pay a price. There's ALWAYS a price. But, you know, sometimes it's worth it. Even that episode was worth it, because, at times, it had been great fun.

Okay, now we're on the flip side of the fun-for-a-price side of the hill. I want to get this cool body. I also like sitting on my butt drinking beer, stuffing whatever caught my attention at the convini into my face, and watching the tube. But. I DO want that body. I want to hear my brother saying to me when I wow him (and preferably other males) with my athletic body, "Well, you know, you paid the price.....NOW, you're gonna have some fun!"

Roxy -- Well, gosh, don't know what kind of support I am when I'm rarely here these days. Thanks though! How did it go? Did you get your workout in and your lunch walk? Yes, forgetting is SO easy. Good luck planning and writing things down!

Apple Blossom -- I was just thinking, do you know there's a famous Japanese song called "Ringo Oiwake" (something about apple blossoms blowing in the wind) sung by Hibari Misora. It's sad and very pretty. Anyhow, just remembered. Yeah, I know about those kind of days where they just kind of waste anyway because of something hanging over you. The best remedy for them is a strict itinerary, packed with things to do. But, what the heck, maybe it's good to have one of those occassionally. Hope that ticker moves soon!

jolly -- Okay, I'll take your word for it you're happy with the loss. You better be! Otherwise I'm going to send my cyber Dobe over to straighten you out!

I'm out the door!!

• Good morning all. Just a quick flyby. I am spending the day at the hospital with a client that is havng surgery. Joy.

Did not get my run in this morning. I went to take the dogs out, and it was lightening something fierce. Because the client's surgery got rescheduled to EARLY, I didn't have time to hit the gym, BUT . . .. (drumroll, please) I did throw in my yoga tape. So at least I got something done.

Have a wonderful day all.