Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 08:47 AM   #1  

Default Home of the Loozing Floozies.....(#39)

Hello

Here at McSkinneys, Our mission is to motivate,support and lose those pounds & inches.We must keep those Loozing Floozies loosing!!

Feel free to join our group of wonderful ladies.Come on in.....Give us YOUR motivation,support and ideas.We would love to have you!!!
Old 06-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #2  

Sherry-Your bears are adorable. You do such a terrific job with welcoming everybody. I'm sorry that I don't tell you that very much!
Old 06-18-2005, 10:36 AM   #3  
Alis Volat Propriis

Default Settling in -- you'll see I'm not shy

Thank you, Shelley and Sherry. I'm a writer and editor in Philadelphia and, yeah, I have tons to lose. I've grown fond of telling myself, and others, there's no reason to diet because what do I have to show after 28 years of dieting? An exra 120 pounds, is what.

But it finally, like a bolt of lightning, hit me the other day that I haven't been dieting for 25 years. I've been playing. One dangerous fad diet after another. Every pill and potion you can imagine. Going to WW meetings and being shocked -- SHOCKED! -- that I didn't lose weight when I had followed the plan to the letter all week, when what I actually had done was ignore the plan for the first two days (after all, I had all week to catch up and I deserved a break anyway); then worked the plan strictly for two days, then loosely for two days; and then I starved myself the day before the weigh in. Or, when not on WW, weighing myself on three different scales and recording the lowest one as my "real " weight in my chart. Measuring myself and then writing down smaller numbers in a journal ONLY I WOULD SEE. How sick is that? Planning on going to the gym three nights a week, but not really going and then complaining to friends that I can't lose weight even though I work out regularly. Playing this game: After realizing in tears that I "can't" diet, vowing to start going to the gym on Monday, which is better than dieting. Then Monday comes and instead of going to the gym, I tell myself, if I eat right, I don't need to exercise, so next Monday, I'm starting a new diet; then of course, once I blow that, vowing to start going to the gym and so on and so on ...

And the big revelation: I thought that if I pretended to be a good-eating, excerising, health-conscious woman -- even though I'm not -- then people would believe that I was and think that maybe I was afflicted with some disease or condition that made it impossible to lose weight. So it WASN'T MY FAULT. So there.

Even sicker is that I couldn't even admit the truth to myself. Like if I made the lie so complete, then it would be true. If I never admitted my weight to anyone, never admitted my overeating and slovenly habits, then they would actually see a svelte, 125-pound woman.

I know that good self esteem and a great attitude and good heart make you attractive no matter what. But that's NOT what was going on with me. Instead of feeling good about my total self and being fabulous as a result of that, I was hiding my abysmally low self esteem under a cloak of fake fabulous. The difference -- to the outside world -- is subtle, too subtle for others to notice, perhaps. But inside, it made me feel like a fake, like if anyone could see the congealed mess of weight-related insecurity that was resting underneath the surface, they would run far and fast away from me. My whole life was fake because I was not who I was presenting to the world.

Whoa.... I had a germ of an idea about all of this over the past few days, but it wasn't until I was just writing it that I realized the magnitude of it all. You would think being a writer that I would recognize the power of the written word and the writing process. But I guess it was just another part of the lie. I don't have to journal... I know my own thoughts... it's just as effective to analyze them in my had than on paper. Oh, bull.

Hmm.. I guess that's enough for now. I hope you're not sorry you let me in! LOL
Old 06-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #4  
Alis Volat Propriis

And as for my first major diet-related victory: The ticker in my signature is the first time I have ever admitted my real weight to anyone.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #5  

Maggie-I saw quite a bit of myself in what you wrote. The only difference with me is that I always follow a diet at the beginning to a T, because I get the "diet high." I almost think I am addicted to dieting. In fact, I probably am. I used to binge, then use suppositories to get it all out. Tell me that's not sick! I think you will fit right in to the crazy group of wonderful ladies here. We also have a bio thread if you feel like giving us some other statistics about yourself. Again, welcome!!
Old 06-18-2005, 06:59 PM   #6  

Maggie I bet you feel a lot better now that you admitted this to yourself. We are not here to judge you so don't worry about that. We all have problems or we wouldn't be here. We are here to help you and support you. Welcome to our lovely group. We not only support each other with our weight issues but with our life struggles and chalenges. I really feel they go hand in hand. I over eat when I have stress.

Sherry I noticed your lovely welcome teddies, they are so cute. Thank you for all you do to keep this group up and running.

Wow is it hot and humid here today. Larry is just changing the liner in the pool today so we couldn't even swim. It is an all day job. Tough one too. While Larry was doing that Dez and I went to a couple of garage sales. For $35.00 she bought two lovely blue love seats with wood trim, a blue and white area rug, just like new, an upright vacuum, one oak veneer night table and small dresser, two black rod iron lamps, some cups and glasses. I had prayed daily and sometimes more than once a day for the right place for her to live and for furnishings. Well God answers prayers her suite is just a stone throw away from home, she has next to new furniture that she bought all on her own. My family has donated her a new futon for her bed, used dining room table and chairs and small microwave. I have a used dishwasher for her plus many kitchen items that I have saved as I replaced my stuff. She has a 24 place set of dishes and cutlery plus I am giving her another set for a friend of hers that is moving out. She even has a molinex (sp?) food processor chopper, blender set. She does not have a need for much else. God is good isn't he?

Well better go check on hubby and see if he is lounging in the pool drinking a beer yet! Have a wonderful weekend.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:49 AM   #7  
Losing it!

WELCOME MAGGIE! You are free to join in with this great group of gals! We are here for support and motivation.

Sher, yes, we don't tell you enough how special you are. Thank you for the cute graphics and keeping this group going. BTW: Still haven't decided if I will do it in the buff or not???

Shelley, I just read your 10 things about you... I found out a few things I didn't know.

Dee, it sounds like Dez will have a lovely apartment. With her creativity, she will have it fixed up "Dez style" in no time.

Tomorrow we are going to FIL's house for Fathers day then over to my mothers for a birthday celebration in the evening. I'm praying for strength to get me through serving the ice cream and cake. If I choose to eat any, I am going to have half the portion size.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:18 PM   #8  

Hi to everyone and welcome to the newbies. Just wanted to let you all know I'm alive and kicking. Well, maybe not kicking, but I'm alive anyway! LOL

Hope you all have a good week.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:52 AM   #9  

Ramona-How are the boys? I think about them everytime I read the front page of the newspaper.

Yesterday we had my parents over for spaghetti dinner. I not only ate some bread, but after dinner I ate 6 pieces of maundel bread (a jewish sweet cookie like biscotti) that my mom brought over, then I had 1 cup of the best shredded wheat I have ever tasted-vanilla creme. This is the first time in a long while that I have done this. Today I'd better get back OP or I'll show quite a gain on Wed.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:35 AM   #10  

Welcome Maggie you sure came to the right place and i saw a little of myself in your writing.

Boy what a Father's Day!!! to say it was a joyous one is saying the least.
Hubby & daughter got into this big fight and it lasted all day. She tried to make amends by cooking lunch for him and he blew it off and pouted all day.
Wouldn't open her card or anything.
Here's a long story short it started when Cara got a boyfriend and Daddy is now second fiddle. Well when she is not home and spending time with the boyfriend at the apt. Daddy decides to bend my ear about how he wants more time with her and doesn't want her to spend so much time from home.
NOW i understand where he is coming from and also her point too but they can still spend time with each other it is not like they will never see each other ever. She hasn't moved out yet but she is working towards moving in with her boyfriend and it is something i don't like but willing to support her on this if it is really something she wants to do.
Her daddy wants to completely cut her off and not give her anything more. I asked him how he can think this when she is a good kid and does wonderful things with and for us and that I would never cut her off from any kind of support that she would need in life. He says that after 18yrs of raising her she owes us....This i totally do not agree with b/c i raised our daughter with love and understanding and the will to be independent and a loving person who can stand on her own not have her grow up and feel like she owes us. You do these things in life b/c you Love them and want to show them how much you appreciated their giving you this knowledge for life. I told him that it is insane to think of him to think along this line b/c he will be the one who will be hurt in the end b/c he drove her away.
I tried by best all day to get these 2 to communicate and without success went to bed with a throbbing headache.

Today i don't have any kids and let Cara drive my car to work and have the whole house to myself with piece and quiet. So i plan to chill all day.

Well i hope everyone else had a better Father's Day than we did.

Thanks for letting me vent and scream.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:39 AM   #11  

Hey everyone!

Back to work Monday! Ich.

I think Stewart has, yet again, changed our vacation "plans." For the past week or so instead of saying anything about camping in Arkansas (which was what he had changed his mind to rather than out west), he had been suggesting we visit the deep (as opposed to Arkansas) South. You know, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, etc. Last night, however, he was back to talking "WEST." So, I don't know WHERE we'll end up!

Gayle, Sherry and Shelley--Great to see y'all over on the other thread! I love learning randoms about my friends. I read your posts and I was like "Wow...I didn't know that!"

Gayle, how did your hair turn out? Let me know about that spray tan, too. I've been wanting to do that for a long time--just not brave enough to pop out that much money for something I know nothing about!

I DO NOT IRON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what the dryer is for!

Cheryl
Old 06-20-2005, 11:46 PM   #12  
Losing it!

Cheryl, the cost of the tan here is $20.00. My hair turned out good, it is back almost to my natural color. I had lighten it over the years, but decided I better go dark while I can... sometimes really dark hair isn't very becoming as one ages. I keep looking in the mirror and each time I do, I like it more, it suites my complexion better.

No time to post to everyone, I am staying busy with cardio therapy, doctors appointments etc. My mother is settling down, now my FIL is having problems. We take him Wednesday to the clinic and the hospital for testing. I'm not sure yet if I am going out of town Thursday. On a good note, my mother had chest x-rays today and the fluid was gone! The steroids appear to be working! If she has no problems, she will not go back to the doctor until July 12!!! Whew! So far we have been seeing one every week or two.

I hope all is well with everyone, I'm dozing as I type this... I'm going to bed.

Love ya!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:07 AM   #13  

Gayle how did you manage with the celebrations. Did you have more cake than you wanted? Having a small piece of cake is ok, you just have to have to be careful with portion control or I will have to haul you swimming with me in the morning! I am so happy to hear that your mom's chest is clear. That must be such a relief for you. Remember to get enough rest so that you aren't to burned out to take care of everyone else. Can you post a picture of your new hair do?

Shelley well I knew that you liked cool whip and some ff frozen treats everyday but I didn't know that you ate a DOZEN of them. You are too funny. That would just be too many points for me on those suckers. Is is about a point each? I didn't realize that you watched your carbs. Having a meal like that once in awhile is ok. You are doing a great job maintaining.

Vicki I am sorry to hear that your hubby and daughter are battling it out. It is hard for Daddy's to let there little girl grow up. I know that Larry want to over protect Dez all the time. It is tough to be caught in the middle.

Cheryl let us know where you are going when you vacation plans are settled. Maybe you won't know for sure until you are heading out the door. I say go with the flow and be happy that you are going somewhere. Sometimes men just have a hard time with making up their minds.

Sherry where did you go? How are you doing? I think that you are working to hard on your time off. It is suppose to be your time off. Chill out for a day and enjoy.

Ramona thanks for popping in. How is everyone doing? Do you have any plans for the summer? We haven't booked any time off yet. It has been really hot here. We had a very cool spring and now we have been hit with extreme heat the last week.

Happy first day of Summer everyone.....Yipee!!!! I love summer. It is a for sure way of getting flowers. Larry has a message pop up on his computer to pick up flowers for Darlene today because it is one of her favorite days. For dinner tonight we will have a big fruit salad with raisons buns.

Dez is packing and will be moving out friday. She is quite excited and so am I. A friend of hers will be moving in with her. It will definitely make it more affordable for her. They work opposite shifts so they won't be seeing much of each other which is a blessing.

My laundry is calling me I better go tend to it. Have a happy summer day.

Last edited by Deelite; 06-21-2005 at 11:11 AM. Reason: mixed up message
Old 06-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #14  
Losing it!

HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SUMMER EVERYONE!!!!!!

Dee, I hope you enjoy your dinner tonight, it sounds heavenly... I had 1 small piece of cake and 1 scoop of ice cream and was satisfied. Everything tasted really sweet and really rich, so any more and I would of been sick. As I ate it, I wondered how I use to eat the stuff daily.

Waiting to hear back from the doc today, mom is having dizziness/unsteadiness and heart palpilations, I feel bad for her because today is her birthday. I told her she just had too good of a report yesterday and she thinks she is not going to get the attention. LOL!
Old 06-21-2005, 04:34 PM   #15  

Gayle wish your mother happy birthday from all the floozies. I hope that she gets a good report and that everything is ok.
Closed Thread