3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias #16 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/57915-steel-magnolias-16-a.html)

gma22 05-14-2005 07:29 AM

Steel Magnolias #16

Morning gals! It is thundering and lightening here and the temps are supposed to drop about 15 degrees or so for the next few days. This weekend is the BIG and famous BBQ cooking contest downtown on the river and I think everyone is going to get wet! They started cooking on Friday, but I think the contest is today. We don't go down there as it is at the bottom of the bluff and you have to walk down to the park because there is no parking, restrooms are porta potties UGH and the heat most of the time. Last time we went, Jack was still active duty so you know it has been about 16 years or so and we were young and skinnier! :lol:

I think we are going to the movies and see Sahara today. I went online and bought advance tickets for Star Wars last night. I am so so about it, but Jack really wants to see it so we are going to go next Saturday. Who knows what the crowds will be like. The one and only time we stood in line for a movie was the last Harry Potter one and we went to that one on the first day it came out at midnight! lol Unfortunately, it was a disappointment (you tend ot compare to a book)

Not much news since yesterday. Looks like I might have already killed my orchid and I don't even know what I did. It said to water it once a week, which I did last Sunday after coming home because it was dry. Now the leaves are turning like they have too much water and the blooms have fallen off and the new ones are drying out. SIGH, I told her not to get me plants!

Well, need to go fix Jack some breakfast

Faye

Jean 05-15-2005 12:08 AM

Good Evening soon to be Good Night!
We were gone most of the day and spent time with all the kids and grandkids. :D We ate lunch with Ian -- he's into money/change for his piggy bank so has to check Grandpa's pockets and my purse to see what he can find. He lays them all on the floor and counts them out, puts them in his pocket, takes them out and counts them again. (The count is never the same twice!) Finally he'll put it all in his piggy bank and we're on to the next activity. I wish I had his energy! :cb:

We took Maddy, Beth, and Kolby shopping for a swing set; evidently the stores around here are not putting them on display because of the liability factor. Toys R Us had pictures but not the one we wanted on hand so moved on to KMart and found one with more things on it for less money. Now Will will have the joy of putting it all together on his next day off. Maddy loves Ian's swing so I know she will be excited when she sees it put together. :cp: The clerk gave her a balloon and that kept her entertained while we waited.

We finished the day with a trip for SAM's Club for kitty litter. We never get out of there for under $100 and Bob tries to guess the total as we are checking out. He's usually pretty close I must admit.

"Gma" -- It sounds like our weather is moving your way. I hope it doesn't spoil the cooking contest. Enjoy your movie date . . . we haven't been to a movie in a long time.

It was another windy day in my corner of the world with more for tomorrow. :(

Hope you all have a super Sunday!

Jean -- :yawn: in Iowa!

Jean 05-15-2005 01:57 PM

Happy Sunday to you all!
The sun is shining brightly but it is breezy and cold outside. My poor flowers/plants are still in the garage and they need to be repotted and put outside when it warms up. :flow1:

DH had to sing at church today, then stay for a dinner, and an endowment meeting. I went to the grocery store after first service and have been doing laundry ever since I got home. I need to vacuum up the cat fur . . . again. Seeing how much is on bare floors makes me embarrassed to realize what must have been in/on the carpet unseen. :o

Amanda was saying yesterday that she is feeling weird/different and definitely different from the previous day so maybe baby #2 will decide to come early too. I hope so except we are supposed to be keeping Ian the night before her scheduled C-section and it will take us at least an hour to get to them if they go early. His sitter is "on call" just in case.

Hope you all have a lovely day in your parts of the world! :p

Jean -- :dance: in Iowa!

Maggie 05-15-2005 06:44 PM

Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The countdown begins. Will has one of the chairs out now and boy was it heavy. Cutting those bolts was quite a chore. One more chair which will be easier to get out now because there is more room for him to work on it. The couch won't be so hard to get out as the chairs are. The chairs were so secured to the floor because they had seat belts on them for "company" to ride along. I made myself some glass kits yesterday ~ cut out 9 houses which don't weigh nearly as much as the sheets of glass I would have to have to make them if I took the glass along.

FAYE they sure do know how to throw cooking contests in Tennessee. I love those folks out there ~ OH and you are out there so I guess that goes for you too! I never was good at keeping orchid plants either for they are so tempermental.

JEAN we never get out of Wal-Mart for under a hundred either. But we only go there when we need the necessary items and they all add up for sure. I am so glad we don't have cat hair floating around anymore. Well ~ ocasionally there is some for they say it takes 10 years for it to all go away. However, we can now use cloth napkins. I have some blue metal plates that are edged with stainless steal that we will use in the MH and I got new flatware that NO ONE that I know has any like it. If you want to see what it looks like go to "Google" and type in "twist and shout stainless by Gourmet" and then you can go to where it is sold and see a picture~ hand made and it is and neat. I got a setting for four and the serving pieces from a ware house out in Kansas that only had 4 sets available. Guess they now have 3 sets. :o Anyway I use red bandanna napkins to go with and it makes a great place setting. LIFE IS GOOD That is exciting that the baby may be here early. A new baby... OH so sweet.

gma22 05-16-2005 10:10 AM

Moring ladies! Hope today started well for you! We are hoping that maybe we have dodged the pinkeye. Oh, maybe I didn't tell you that Friday we got a call that T has pinkeye. We only have a couple more days of contagion the dr said.

Jean: Oh, it had to be fun with the kids. I bet the baby is getting big and another one on the way! Wow. You are speeding along way ahead of me. I can't wait to hear that my ds and dil are pregnant. Hope Amanda's little bundle can "wait it out."

Maggie: Whew, sounds like a lot of work to go "a wandering" around the country. Bet your dining ware looks wonderful. I love stuff like that. I swear I am going to get new everyday dishes again but I haven't found just the right ones yet. I did see some cool lighthouse dishes at Old Time Pottery but they were out. I have to decide whether I want those, sunflowers (my dining room) or hearts (my kitchen). My house is a true color and decorating menagery. I guess because for nearly 30 years we lived in rental property with white walls and such that I went nuts when I had my own home with color. My dd says, and I am sure she is right. no one would buy the thing as people like monotone throughout a house, but since we aren't going to be selling I guess I can make it whatever I want.

Our movie date was fun though we weren't keen on the theater when we walked in. It was in the mall, older, mildew smelling and had these seats that kind of tilted back when you sat in them. I felt like I was in the space shuttle getting ready to take off! :lol: The movie Sahara was slow going but after about 45 minutes picked up and became a pretty good movie. If you are into rentals, rent Finding Neverland about the man who wrote Peter Pan. It is at least a 3 kleenex job though! I really loved the movie. I did eat a hot dog and some candy and drink, which I shouldn't but I am back to normal today and having an apple for breakfast!

I guess I better get going and get some weights in today. I sprained my ankle in the bathroom yesterday from Jack's conditioner (it has something in it where everytime he uses it, I get into the tub and slip and almost fall) so I guess I won't be doing any treadmill work today.

Have a great day ladies

Faye

Jean 05-16-2005 10:26 PM

Good Evening, Flowers!
I guess if there has to be a first day of the week it might as well be Monday and today was a typical Monday at school. We are on the countdown and started senior exams today. Their grades have to be in by noon on Wednesday; they have a half day, lunch at the golf course, and then spend a couple hours practicing for graduation. We'll hear them hoot and holler on their way out the door. It's hard to believe that another year is almost over.

Maggie -- Ian called to talk to Grandpa this evening and I touched base with Amanda. She is getting nervous and I said I didn't know which was worse: not knowing what is going to happen or knowing. She thinks knowing is worse even though she knew she was going to have a C-section with Ian, he came a day earlier than planned so they didn't really have time to worry in advance. I will have to see if I can find your flatware . . . sounds like an interesting site. :)

"Gma" -- Kolby is stretching out his little sleepers already. When Beth took him in for his 2 week checkup, he had gained a pound and grown a half inch. He doesn't waste any time emptying his bottle and sounds like a little :ink: while he's doing it. :lol: I feel so fortunate that we live close enough so we can enjoy the grandchildren and watch them grow up. They definitely are a joy.

Not much is newsy from my corner of the world tonight. I'm tired for some reason and think I will head to bed early tonight. I have a load of laundry to dry while I iron something to wear tomorrow. I'll dress in layers again since we have no heat at school. We asked for heat today and the custodian said they were going to start tearing the boilers down today. DUH . . . we're supposed to have rain and cooler temps this week.

Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- :wave: from Iowa

Maggie 05-17-2005 02:44 AM

MONDAY in the EVENING

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I am having a hard time keeping my eyes open but it is my own fault ~ I put some things in the washer while we were watching a couple of DVD's tonight and forgot them and so now I have them in the dryer. There are only a couple of things I need to be sure to get out before the cycle is over then I can go to bed and let the others sit till morning to fold. We got such a deal today at Lowe's on porch rockers that we are going to put in the MH instead of the couch. You know the white slatted kind. Anyway when we looked at them a few months ago they had lots in stock so we were in no hurry to get them. They were priced at $99.99 each and of good quality. Anyway we decided to make the trip in to pick up a couple today since the couch and two chairs are out of the MH now. Anyway they only had two left ~ one was a floor model with a few dings in the paint and the other was a different style in a box. Both are white and very comfortable. Will said he would take that floor model (and since he used to work at Lowe's knew what a deal he could get) and pointed out the wear marks (which will be easy to repair) to the salesman. Got the man to sell it to him for $30 and then the salesman said if he wanted two he could sell him the last one they had in a box for $60 if he would take it ~ if he would take it. So we got two for the price of one. One is The rounded dowel kind and the other is the square slat kind which is the more traditional porch type. I kinda like the fact that they are different for they look good sitting next to each other. I get the taller back of the two since it would knock Cowboy's hat off if he leaned back in it. The other one has a lower back so suits him fine. We are going to get cushions for the seats probably next week. Next we will be on the look out for a small table and a couple of chairs. We need to recarpet it but that will come later for we want to get all the painting done first. It wasn't exactly a top down day ~ a bit on the chilly side for that ~ but how do you get two rocking chairs home in a Mustang convertable ~ one that is put together and the other in it's box. Put the top down and put them in the back seat and tie them down. We didn't exactly freeze coming home but ordinarily we wouldn't have the top down on a day like today either. But you do what you gotta do. LIFE IS GOOD We made it home not to much the worst for wear.

FAYE do be careful with that ankle. Those can be so painful and give you more fits sometimes than a break. You have my vote to decorate your place how ever you want it. It is YOU that lives there and if you ever do sell it the new owners can always change it to suit their taste anyway. Might as well enjoy your place while you are living in it.

JEAN boy this year has scooted by so fast! I do hope that not too many of those expecting to graduate don't make it. It is amazing how students will wait till the last minute and play catch up. That is a bright point in your life to be able to see those grandbabies ~ they do grow so fast don't they.

gma22 05-17-2005 07:27 AM

Morning ladies! Got the shock wake up this morning. I was up several times last night and so was sleeping this morning when Jack jumped up and said it was 5:45 (he gets up at 5:15) and jumped out of bed with me too. We hurried around and got him ready to leave at 6:05 and I told him just to buy him some breakfast at Micky D's. I asked him last night if his alarm was in the bedroom and he said yes, but he didn't check it and he had changed it yesterday when he napped at work. Since his heart attack, he naps at work everyday during break and/or lunch. The meds he takes does that.

I got my house all cleaned yesterday so today is lazy day I guess unless I want to go out and tackle the patio. It just needs some sweeping and cleaning cushions and glass table top and grill. I need to trim the hedge too and hate that as it is holly and I always get pricked by the leaves. Do either of you know how to get the darn thing to bloom? We have lived her three years and not one berry have we seen. Do some of them NOT have berries?

Keep my sister Alberta in your prayers. She is the one with the dh that is now in the nursing home and has MS. She went to his medical hearing about his finances etc yesterday. She had been told to bring a year's worth of utilitys, phone bills, mortgage payments, income etc. She said she walked in, they looked at her gross pay (she only makes $27,000 a year) didn't even ask for the other stuff, told her she made too much and they took ALL his pension and SS. She said she did a budget and without his pension, after paying her bills, she has $135 for the month to buy groceries and pay for her med prescription, which is $35. She can't sell her house because they will take her equity. I don't know what she is going to do. She is beside herself when she called me last night. Her dd offered to let her live with them, but she doesn't want to do that and I understand that. She and her dd would tangle fairly quickly. I did tell her that she may have to accept financial help from her kids and swallow her pride. While organizing this stuff, she also found out that the hospital my bil worked for 25 years made a decision to drop their retired life insurance policy 4 years ago and never informed her so there is no life insurance on him now and it would be difficult if not impossible to get anything at this stage of the game. I talked with Jack about how much we could possibly send her per month to help her out. We aren't wealthy and don't have a lot ourselves. Jack has to keep working well past retirement to even get his pension from the city so we are not in great shape either, but I'll be darned if I am going to let my sister go hungry. I will have her move in here first. She is 60 years old and worried what they are going to take when she starts SS. The blood suckers!

You ladies have a good day today!

Faye

Maggie 05-17-2005 12:43 PM

TUESDAY in the MORNING

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is supposed to be a very lovely day this day. I am sipping my morning cup of coffee and fixing to take Ragg Mopp down the mountain to his groomer. He is so cute when we pull up in front of her shop. He wags his tail a mile a minute for he simply adores that lady. Good thing he loves those baths.

FAYE that is so sad about your sister. The blood suckers will take everything if you don't watch out. My sister has alzheimers and my brother in law is keeping her at home and has hired help to come in. He has fixed up a room with hospital bed and all the necessary things to make her comfortable. He found out that he has too many holdings that they would grab and he was not going to let that happen. He is good to her and she is a handful. How nice that he can keep her at home where others just absolutely aren't able to do that. I feel so sorry for your sister. She certainly wasn't well informed as to what to expect and that is a big shame. I can't figure out how they figure that she makes too much. She should be eligible for some of the government aid in her position. There has to be a way.

Jean 05-17-2005 10:11 PM

Good evening, Flowers!
The wind is blowing like crazy here today . . . sun was out this morning but the rain clouds are rolling in this evening with a few sprinkles every once in awhile. We could use some rain without the wind!

I have to tell you all my "funny" for the day! Our cat hating neighbors have put their live trap back out for the past couple of weeks. This morning there was a HUGE raccoon in it! "My" outside cats were all here for breakfast so I knew it wasn't one of them. DH got the binoculars out to see what it was. . .serves the old goat right! I also notice they are folding up their over-stuffed lawn furniture cushions so the cats can't sleep on them at night. :lol:

We started senior exams today and will finish tomorrow. They are done at noon and that is good! It is definitely time for them to be out of the building.

"Gma" -- Hope your ankle is feeling better today! That is too bad about your sister. I always thought that necessary nursing home care costs were based on the ability to pay and prices adjusted accordingly. It is a worry that's for sure.

Maggie -- Your new chairs sound nice and I'm sure you will enjoy them! Your departure day will be here before we know it. You must have all of your packing fine tuned just right.

Not much else is newsy from my corner of the world. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- :wave: from Iowa!

gma22 05-18-2005 06:41 AM

Morning ladies! Hope you are waking to a nice sunny day. Sun is not up here quite yet!

Jean: I don't suppose those stupid neighbors realize that your cats keep the rodents away from THEIR property too? How disgusting that someone would harm animals that way that aren't harming them. Seems like everyone is getting ahead of me in the baby department. My other sister told me yesterday that her dd that got married in Feb is pregnant! SHEESH, what am I doing wrong????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maggie: My sister has an attorney and he told her before the hearing not to worrry as they don't take so much money that it changes your quality of life. I think not having enough for food changes your quality of life!!!!

Not much going on here today. It is supposed to be nice and hot. I noticed day before yesterday it looks like they took the cover off the pool, yahoo! It won't be long now before I can get out there and exercise!

Guess I should visit with Jack before he goes to work

Faye

Jean 05-18-2005 05:49 PM

Happy Wednesday, Flowers!
It's another cloudy and cool day in my corner of the world.

The seniors who had their "poop in a group" are gone now while those that didn't will return tomorrow to hopefully finish up so they will graduate on the 29th. Our principal won't even let them walk through graduation on the promise that they will finish their work afterwards. They have to go to summer school and pick up their diploma upon completing their work there.

"Gma" -- I'm not sure what happened in the baby department! :lol: I was really upset when Beth told us about #2 but she seems to be handling two babies ok so far. I don't think I could have done it if it were me. Maybe having a girl first makes the difference, I don't know. Send some of your warm sunny weather my way please!

I have some ironing to do so think I will head in that direction.

gma22 05-19-2005 10:05 AM

Morning ladies! It is sunny and very warm already today! Can't wait for that pool to open.

We have to go and pick up a rental car and take the Marquis to the garage this afternoon. We have an O2 sensor out on the thing. I am gonna miss T's practice today then his Sat game because I have an eye dr appt at 9 AM. Ahh well, you do what you have to do I guess.

Jean: Won't be long now and you will be out for the summer. My sister works all year long with the "bus" section of the school system. Oh, that was another thing about this mess with her. She asked the guy what about during the summer when I make less money. He said she would have to make at least $7000 less for it to make a difference for her.

I feel really dopey today. I got up with Jack and did some chores and such then went back to bed for a couple hours and now can't wake up. I know the last couple nights I have gotten up out of bed 4-5 times a night to go to the bathroom. Sometimes that just happens. I always get up at least once or twice but occasionally, I have this run to the bathroom every hour thing. Don't know why. Maybe I just needed some extra sleep this morning and I just need to do some calistenics or something ! :lol:

I am having dry cheerios with strawberries and bananas. I hate milk and so I usually eat cereal dry. It isn't too bad. I just pretend I am a toddler! ;) :D Do you remember that sweet Cheerio commercial with the grandma showing her grandchild where all his relatives lived with Cheerios on his tray? I loved that commercial.

well, I need to get going, get my meds in and get some exercise in before it gets too late.

Faye

Maggie 05-19-2005 12:03 PM

Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is fixin' to get to 82 today. Rained last night which is nice. I am really in limbo ~ half in that MH and half out. Cowboy has to work on a saddle today but said he would carry things out for me. I put stuff in boxes and then go out and unload them where they belong. I am sure glad there is storage under the bed for those necessary things you don't really look at much like important papers and the x-rays of my back. It is also a good place for the bed linnens ~ I will put them in one of those plastic containers that zip that comfortors and blankets came in. There are a few things I have taken out there that I won't leave there. :) The parents and kids at the ball field told Cowboy that he has to come back here to ump next year so we just may do that. I think that would be fun ~ travel out there until April and then circle back and he can ump and and we can sit here a spell. Sounds OK with me for this is a gorgeous area to be in. Who knows what will happen months down the road and we are for sure aren't afraid of change. First though we do want to go to Idaho, Montana, The four corners, Tennessee, Texas and to see his mom in Iowa. All other states in between and Utah and I could name some more. OH yes and don't forget South Dakota. Then we can come back here. :lol:

JEAN have you any special plans for the Summer months? Taking a cruise to the Bahamas maybe? If you do take along some sun screen. I hear the sun is wonderful there. Wonder what those kids are going to do after graduation. Do they have a clue? Maybe your Beth should have lots more of those babies since she is so good with them.... some folks are and I admire them for it. We need some good wholesome kids being born drug free that will grow up and run this country for us.

FAYE I know what you mean about sleep deprivation ~ with my meds and my spinal stinosis ~ I get up anywhere from 3 to six times a night. If I get to bed by midnight I get up around 8:30 and am not a napper during the day. I am not sleeping 8 and a half hours for I figure that half hour is for my being disturbed during the night so I get 8 hours sleep. I don't like waking up so much during the night but have found that if I am in a good dream I can get back into the same one when I get back into bed. The dream stops like a DVD and turned back on when I am back. I like that for I get the rest of the story that way. I have even had them continued from night to night. I have come up with some workable ideas in my sleep also. How is that ankle?

Jean 05-19-2005 10:28 PM

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's been a beautiful day in my neighborhood! We had some kids who stood in line last night to watch the Star Wars movie at midnight. They had a hard time staying awake in class today too!

We started the school day with an assembly to vote for student council president. The principal started it out by ranting and raving at the kids because so many of them are on the obligation list for missing assignments, fines, etc. After the assembly we got a blanket email, from him, saying that the staff was not doing their job and there shouldn't be so many kids on the list, etc. Some of the teachers got individual emails chewing them out even further. The yearbook teacher got a face to face visit because so many kids have ordered yearbooks and are now saying that they didn't and won't pay for them. A couple of the teachers are taking their concerns to the superintendent so we'll see where it goes from there. It was a very long day at school today since everyone was walking very lightly and avoiding the office so they wouldn't have a run in with the principal. I've been going in to cross names off the obligation list for several teachers . . . he's pretty nice to me because he pulls me to sub in a pinch. We had several teachers gone today and there were 2 absent teachers who had their classes going into the big study hall. I was glad because I was in no mood to sub and have lots of my own work to keep me busy. Tomorrow is the first day of final exams and it will be pretty quiet because no one can be in the halls during the exam time.

Amanda had an ultrasound yesterday and the baby only weighs 5# but she said the surgery date is still set for the 27th. That's pretty tiny for two parents who are 6'+. She is hoping for "pink"!

"Gma" -- Knock on wood but I rarely get up during the night. I'm not sure how well I could function at school if I missed out on my sleep. :yawn: I just put a tiny bit of milk on my cereal although I do eat it dry like popcorn sometimes.

Maggie -- I think my summer is going to be spent running back and forth to Okoboji to spend time with MIL and going back and forth to Sioux City to spend time with grandchildren. Beth, Will, and Amanda all work Saturdays . . Beth and Will work every 3rd Saturday but not the same one while Amanda works every other Saturday morning until noon. I don't anticipate they will spend much time at the lake with a toddler to keep track of and a tiny baby to care for. Most of the white students are either going into the military service or on to some sort of school. The rest of the graduating seniors plan to get jobs and several are pregnant so guess they will be sitting at home until the babies arrive. We have several students who are on the 5 year plan and soon will have a 6 year plan to meet graduation requirements.

I have some graduation cards I need to address and a letter to write so guess I will keep moving.

Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!