Old 03-31-2005, 01:19 AM   #16  

Default exercise ugh

i just can't seem to get motivated to exercise. i am just having a hard time getting started if i could just get started i would keep going. the eating has been going pretty good but working at mcdonalds isn't doing any good to the situation but quitting at this time is not an option. the hubby doesn't help either goimg out and buying junk food for the house. like he needs it. any way have a good day everyone i am in wisconsin so i am enjoying the beautiful weather right now by walking i forgot to mention i walked 2 days in a row w but don't know how far it was but i do know it wore me out.
mamamaemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:04 AM   #17  

Well gals, yet another SAHM here that felt a kinship to this thread! I have three girls, 9, 8 and 2 years old. I am 38, and overweight, and decided to PUT MYSELF first now! I have been back at the gym, and have cut calories and fat out of my diet. I go six days a week to work out, and when I feel like lounging around and not going, I simply don't give myself that option. As soon as my husband gets home in the eve. I head out to the gym, and he takes over dinner and baths for the girls. It's soooo helpful!!! I love the results, and the feeling (realization)that this weight loss and healthy lifestyle really IS in my control (unless of course, i'm PMS'ing....lol!). Yay for this thread!
be well, paloma
palomalibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:23 AM   #18  

Smile

Hello Girls!! I'm just having my morning coffe and catching up on what everyone has posted. Kelly if you haven't tried the South Beach Diet you might really like it. The reason I like it so well is that I still get to eat dessert, I don't have to think about counting calories, grams of fat, carbohydrates or anything else. It is more about teaching you the right choices to make when eating and if you really can't resist a craving and fall off the wagon for a meal then you just jump right back on and keep going. I'm never hungry and when I do get a craving for chocolate or something sweet (which doesn't happen very often even though I am a total chocolate-aholic) I make sure I have some sugar free chocolate around. I have a sugar free Crunch bar at home right now that I've had for almost a week!! That is a record for me!! Nothing chocolate has lasted that long around me for quite awhile. Anyway it is also really easy to eat out on this diet also.
mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:55 PM   #19  
partyof5

Hi girls and welcome paloma!
I'm heading off to the gym as soon as i'm done here. I need to thank my 12 yr old son for pushing me to go but there is a catch. I took him clothes shopping on Tuesday. He never likes to go anywhere so this was a big event for us. I bought him some new tennis shoes and some basketball shorts. (remember when we got a new outfit we wanted to wear it to bed that night) Well he woke up yesterday morning got ready w/o having to be told and followed me around the house "hurry up mom" "lets go mom" "don't answer the phone!" "please don't get on the computer". He's doing the same thing this morning. I can't wait until the shoes get a scuff mark and the shorts have been washed a few times. I'm thankful that's he's getting me out there but he's also driving me crazy.
I better end this before he comes around the corner and see's i'm writing about him.
I'll check back in later,
Marina
partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:36 PM   #20  
time4me

S/C/G: 221

Height: 5' 9"

Exclamation Mom taking care of mom...

Hello all -
I walked today, it was so gorgeous out! 50 degrees and sunny - I went for 1 hour while my kids were at kindergarten/childcare.

Welcome Paloma!

Jennifer - yes, let's move the thread to support - ok with everyone?

thanks for the suggestion for South Beach, I will give it a try and report back.

Stay motivated girls - shorts and tanks are right around the corner!

Kelly
yankee girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:18 PM   #21  
WW Moderator

Ok ladies, for those of you that get email notification of replies, this thread is now in the Support forum. We have a redirect to it from the Buddy Up forum.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:43 AM   #22  
On My Way!

I'm a mom who's trying to take better care of herself, too! I have 3 little ones, ages 5, 4 and almost 2. My husband has been living and working 3 hours away for the last year, so it's hard for me to find ways to really get my heart rate up and excercise hard, but since I started getting serious about weight loss and health a little over two weeks ago, I've been doing Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss, and it's wonderful for me. I feel stronger and am obviously trimmer and more toned! Off to a good start, but I hope to add more excercise, like walking and such, when my husband is back here again.

Also, since I started all this on March 15, I've been watching my portion sizes, eating single servings, eating primarily whole grains (as opposed to processed what, etc...), lots of fruits and veggies and avoiding too much sugar. I'm down 8 lbs! And I feel so much better already. I'd love to be a part of a support group of moms. Count me in!

~Andrea

Serafyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:51 AM   #23  
On My Way!

Oh, I meant to say that I'm 38, too. I noticed there were quite a few around that age participating in this thread, and I'm very excited to find others like me to commiserate with in this process. Also, I live in Ocean Park, Washington, which is on a peninsula on the Southwest Washington coast. Lots of beach walks with the kids! Can't go very fast with the three of them in tow, but I'm moving and getting fresh air in a beautiful place.

By the way, I'm using Fitday.com to log my food and and keep track of my nutrition, etc... It's very motivating. I find I think twice before eating something when I know I'll have to put it in the log! haha--keeps me honest.

Well, I'm sure glad to find this group. Let's do it!

Last edited by Serafyn; 04-01-2005 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:07 AM   #24  

Smile Newbee

I am new to this board. Let me introduce myself. My name is Karyn and I am 34 years old. I have a 3 year old active boy (so I should be about 120lbs if I didn't like junk food so much). Anyway I am married for 7 years. Before conceiveing my son I lost 35lbs on Weight WAtchers. I gained 45lbs with that pregnancy and now I weight about 35lbs more then that. I am a stay at home mom which is really hard to diet when you have food at your beck and call. I have decided to start my weight loss today. I want to start watching what I am eating, and cut back on the junk drastically. Let me tell you when I made goal at weight watchers my first time I didn't journal. I journaled in my head. I was also working a full time job (so I packed breakfast and lunch), I also worked a part time job for weightwatchers in their call center (until they moved the location to kansa ( I am in NJ). Anyway, I am looking for a full time job right now but nothing has come up. I am disgusted with myself, my knees hurt, my back hurts. I am taking tylenol everyday lately. I need to get my but up and moving. I am hoping that you ladies can help me out. I have had a hard time getting myself motivated to get back into it.

Not to mention we are potty training this week. I am about to order the cardio cruiser by body from jake. doesn't anyone know anything about that? Also let me add we were trying to get pregnant for 9 months now and nothing. I think its the way I am eating and my weight so I decided to put me first and the baby will come. I guess not conceiving didn't help my weight. but I am glad to find this room. sorry this is so long.

karyn818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #25  

Smile

I am so happy to have found a group of moms who are ready to take care of themselves! I decided to start working on my weight in Sept. after seeing a picture of myself that was taken on a family vacation earlier that month. I decided to take care of my health in Oct. when I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome. I joined a gym that has very low cost childcare. So for 2 hrs a day 4-5 days a week my kids are playing with their friends and I take that time to take care of me! Somedays I go more for the mental break I get by being by myself for that time! (Did I really type that)
I'm 36, married with 3 kids, G-8, B-3, G-1.
In Feb. when I was having difficulties keeping motivated I started reading Dr. Phil's book to find out what emotional issues are behind my tendencies to binge and overeat. It has helped a lot!
I eat lots of fruit, vegis and whole grains. My breakfast just about everyday is a fat free yogurt, berry and lowfat granola parfait.

To all the moms--- remember you can't take care of anyone if you don't take care of yourself!!!
aweighstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:44 AM   #26  

I have a question for you guys. I am about to order the cardio cruiser by body by jake but do you ladies think the total gym by body by jake would work better? The website is bodybyjake.com. I would love feedback from those of you exercising at the gym.

This is my thoughts, my living room is not really stable for cardio and my knees and back can't take it. or should i say i can't take it. so i was thinking the cardio cruiser but my hubby thinks something that works more the muscle groups so i am tossed. what do you ladies think? I can't go to the gym 1 because we have no money

Last edited by karyn818; 04-01-2005 at 11:29 AM.
karyn818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #27  
On My Way!

Default To Karn818

Congratulations on taking this step. With support and dedication, we can get fit!

I can't go to the gym either, mainly because I can't afford both a gym membership and childcare while I go. I live in a pretty remote area on the coast of SW Washington, and the gyms here don't offer daycare.

I have used the machines at gyms before, and I did enjoy them, but since I don't go to the gym now (it's been years) and have never used either of these products, I don't have any opinion about which is better. I just wanted to say that I have been doing yoga DVD's, particlulary Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss by GAIAM and I am getting toned up nicely in a relatively short amount of time just using the resistance of my own body. To illustrate: I started eating right and doing yoga on March 15, when I weighed 200 lbs. I'm now only 8 lbs lighter, but I'm down to a size 16 from a 20, and my stomach in particular is much firmer! Plus the stretching helps keep my muscles flexible and long too. My posture's better, and my shoulders and flabby arms are even more shapely and firm. Yoga doesn't take me where I can't go. I'm loving it and feel great!

You may already know that you prefer Jake's machines better, but I just thought I'd share that cheaper, but no less effective alternative! Good Luck!

Last edited by Serafyn; 04-01-2005 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to address the particular poster
Old 04-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #28  
On My Way!

Default Weigh to go aweighstogo!

I just wanted to comment on how far you've come since September. 38 pounds in 6 months--that's fantastic! You must feel so good. I'm looking forward to making that same kind of progress. We are eating similarly, and I don't feel deprived at all. How about you? Anyway, stories like yours are inspiring to me. Glad you're here!
Old 04-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #29  
partyof5

Hi everyone, I was excited to see more people joined the group. Sounds like we're all ready to take care of ourselves.
Andrea, keep up with the yoga. My sister in law has been doing it for almost 2 years and she has lost alot of inches and can do the splits standing up. She was overweight and out of shape when she started and now she looks great!! Do you live near Vancouver Wa? My husband grew up in LaCenter and has family all over the area.

aweightstogo, what do you do at the gym? weights, cardio, or both? I understand what you mean by the gym being your mental break. I go to the gym with my best friend Bobbi who is a SAHM and has a 2 and 4 yr old and she feels the same way you do. We've been going to the gym off and on for over a year but we're so busy socializing that we don't work as hard as we can. I've been going w/o her this week because her daughter is sick and i've been getting a good workout. I talked to her yesterday and told her no more chit chatten. Spring/Summer is coming and we have to do this for ourselves. Besides we have nothing to show for all our visits to the gym.

Karyn I went to the website and I think the cardio cruiser is a good choice. If you have a bad back and knees it's probally a good idea to be in a sitting position. I also have a bad back and my sciatic nerve acts up once in a while so I have to be very careful. I can push myself harder with cardio and feel better after the workout. I do lift weights also but i'm very cautious of my back. When I drop the weight i'll work on more muscle but until then i'll stick with more cardio. I hope that helps.

I'm off to the gym now. I'll check in later
Marina
partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #30  
On My Way!

Thanks for the yoga success story Marina! That sounds great! I will definitely keep after it. I really do like it. I feel better physically and mentally.

Aweighstogo--I was wondering what you're doing at the gym, too. Do tell!

Everyone, I wanted to share a small success:

This morning, I ate breakfast, saw my friend, Taunya, who was visiting for a couple of days with her girls, off and came inside to take my measurements. Success! I've lost inches again. I'll compare my current inches to what I started at on March 15.

March 15:

Chest 42
Waist 39
Hips 50

Today:

Chest 41
Waist 36
Hips 47

Whoo Hoo! 7 inches lost in the Chest, Waist and Hips!!! I like it! No wonder old clothes are fitting better!