3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Pregnant and Staying Fit May 2001! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/5491-pregnant-staying-fit-may-2001-a.html)

Scully 05-21-2001 11:21 AM

Hiya Preggos!
Well, this place sure has slowed down! I too find myself lurking and unable to post as often as I'd like.

How is everyone doing? As for me, I am a hormonal mess-- although most everyone else can't see it, I certainly feel it. I feel like crying over everything.

I have to share something that happened today. I finally felt the baby kick from the outside. It was a wierd nudge, and I was like, WHOA! ;)
I wished that DH was here to feel it, but the baby hasn't done it again yet. I suppose that it is a prieview of things to come.

Gee, I am approaching my 22nd week tomorrow and I can't believe it! It feels like I was just 7 weeks and worrying about cramping and spotting and "possibilities". 5 more weeks until 3rd trimester seems increible and amazing. I am trying very hard to enjoy this and savor it as much as I can. I am now at the point where my belly is making it hard to lay on, and I am waking up to go to the bathroom a lot in the middle of the night. I find myself breathless so much (even climbing a flight of stairs seems to wind me) it is frustrating. I was looking at myelf in the mirror yesterday, and I feel like I look so big already. So far I have gained 6 pounds, and I admit that is what I consider reasonable, but it is in my belly and hips. I am gonna be really W-I-D-E... I tried to not be overly critical but I was not doing a good job. My exercise regimine has slowed down--I mean, well, I have stopped and that is the only way to stay as slim and fit as you can.
I know, I know, I was the one who said that I wasn't gonna worry about it. And here I am getting negative on myself. It;s so strange. Some people that I know act like they couldn't even tell that I was expecting, and others see it. Maybe some people are just more observant, and perhaps the ones who don't see it may have thought that I was just putting on weight. ???!!! I don't know. That is why it is cool for me to wear Maternity clothes, cause I think that the clothes tend to emphasize the pregancy. One woman thought that I was really showing a lot for 5 and a half months. I said really? I only gained about 5-6 pounds...then we went to this party and someone took a polaroid picture, and OMG! I looked so fat in the face, it really struck me so hard, and I admit that I had a hard time enjoying myself from that point on.

Don't get me wrong. Many people compiment me all the time, and I am so grateful for any positive thoughts on how I look right now. I am a very self-conscious person anyway. I really try to keep myself looking good and not frumpy because I need to keep my self image high right now. With 4 months to go, I am now getting afraid of what the end result will be...

I am not going to allow myself to get crazy about this, but it is getting to be a challenge already.

Thanks for letting me vent here. I am trying to remember that I can make positive choives currently to keep me as fit as I can be, and also, when the baby comes, there is Weight watchers to return to. I think that it is so important to take good care of yourself, mentally and physically while pregnant because the hormones really don't always allow to keep things in perspective all the time. I'm lucky that my DH is the kind of man who thinks I am always hot, LOL...if he were down about my physical side, it would be way harder. Anyway, I'm gonna stop for now.

I am wondering where Sara B is at? Haven't seen anything from her here or at the Labor of Love...I hope that you are jsut busy girl, I miss hearing from you...

And of course, everyone else too!

Let's try to keep updated as much as we can okay?

We all know that once the baby comes, that it will be harder to post.

Happy New Week mommies and mommies to be!

Scully and Bellybean

SaraB 05-22-2001 11:51 AM

Hello, pg friends! I am still here, but haven't been at the computer much. I've been busy working out in my yard and May is generally a busy month for us at church with lots of end-of-the-year type of events.

Thanks, Scully, for sharing all your thoughts and feelings because I can TOTALLY relate. I swing back and forth -- half the time I am so proud to be pg and think I look great, and the other half I am in despair by how big I am getting and feel just huge! I worry that I will be right back to square one as far as WW is concerned after baby is born. I have already decided I will be returning to WW at 6 weeks p pardem, no excuses! I want to get right back into the program.

I feel pretty good, although I know I'm not eating as healthy as I should. I am getting exercise but it is sporadic (yard work, mostly). I am swimming once in a while but not twice a week like I was for a while. I'm not feeling sick anymore but still get pretty tired. And I find it hard to catch my breath, which really freaks me out! Sometimes just sitting on the couch I feel like I can't breathe. I didn't have this with my other pregnancies. Baby must be higher.

Tomorrow I have another doctor appt -- can't wait! I get another ultrasound to see if we can tell the sex. I think they're also going to give me the stuff for the glucose test, yuck.

Hope everyone else is well! I'll let you know if we can tell anything from the ultrasound!

Blessings,
Sara
EDD 9/08

Jen 05-23-2001 11:16 PM

Exercise???? What is that???? It has been so long I don't really remember what that is like!

Hi all. I'm glad to see a little action in here. I know everyone is busy especially with it being summer (almost) there is so much outside to do. I spent 4 hours out in the garden on Sunday which I was regretting on Monday as I was sore everywhere. It is getting increasingly difficult to bend over and I get short of breath easily. I am having a lot of trouble with my sleep too. I just cannot seem to find a comfortable position and end up doing a lot of tossing and turning. No wonder I want to sleep in everyday til 10 or 11am. I bought a body pillow today so I hope it will help. I had a dr's appt today, everything looks good, my ultrasound was fine, no troubles. I'm not sure how much weight I have gained as I tend to retain a lot of water on the days that I work and it falls off when I am not working. I'm not sure how that works but I have gained at least 15 lbs for 25 weeks. It is more than what I was hoping but what the heck. I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

Scully - like Sara I totally relate to what you are talking about. I feel so huge. I know I don't really look pregnant because I was so big to begin with I just look fatter. Probably by the 8th month or so I'll look pregnant (I hope). I bought a couple of pairs of what I call 'fat pants' to wear for work, otherwise I am hoping to get by in sweats and shorts.

Sara - glad to hear that you aren't feeling sick anymore. My baby must be right up against my diaphram somedays too, I have a hard time catching my breath if I overexert. Once in awhile it will just come over me like you were saying sitting on the couch, having problems breathing. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one this happens to!

Take care all. Look after yourselves and your babies.

geneve 05-24-2001 06:58 AM

Hi ladies and babies.
I must admit, it's hard to think about keeping fit when the weather is hot and the babies are growing!
Scully, reading about seeing the baby kicking...I LOVE lying in the bath and seeing the ripples when the baby kicks. I keep shouting for DH to come and see but invariably the kicking then stops.
So how ready are you? 2 1/2 months to go and I've got the cot up, pram out, bought sheets, vests ..all but a car seat and a box of nappies! Well, i left it to the last minute before and had to puff round the shops with swollen ankles.
I found a photo taken the day after I had Ted yesterday and I've framed it. I'm holding him looking so happy and so fit and trim. the fattest bits of me are my swollen ankles. It breaks my heart to think that the depression took all that away from me and left me about 45lbs larger.
I'm keeping the photo where I can see it and focusing on the big smile. I'm so determined not to get the same again.
Enjoy the sunshine...
Geneve

SaraB 05-24-2001 10:48 AM

Hello, friends! Just a quick note to let you know know we aren't much further along in knowing the sex of this baby! This time she thought it was a girl, but said not to count on it (last time she thought it was a boy). So I guess we'll just see!

Glad to read everyone's posts. It's so great to know I'm not the only one feeling these various things.

We are coming along with baby "stuff." Of course we have most of it from the other two babies, it's just a matter of finding it in storage (ycuk!) and cleaning it up. We are doing painting the nursery. We still need to buy a car seat.

Blessings to everyone!

Sara

bensmom 05-24-2001 04:18 PM

I have been so exhausted lately that I do not even go to the computer. It is very hard to sleep now but I do make sure I get a nap in the afternoon.

I am now officially at 33 weeks. The dr said it can be anywhere from 5 to 9 weeks from now. I can now feel her moving lower in my abdomen. Sometimes it feels like a foot or hand poking me in the hip bone.

Scully - I can relate to those hormones. But these third trimester hormones are worse for me than the other trimesters. Sometimes I think it is from the reality and pressures too. Plus, my little sister is getting married next week and I can not go to the wedding. It is over 2000 miles away and the dr said it is too close to baby time to be on the airplanes. So that is not helping my emotional state either.

Sara - Glad to hear you are not having ms anymore. Good luck with the glucose test. My results were well below accepted levels. I brought a bottle of ice water to drink after the cola stuff. I didn't feel that nauseus then.

Be well, ladies.

Scully 05-24-2001 06:11 PM

Hiya friends
It's so good to hear from everyone again! :)

I'll tell you, I am so tired lately. I dropped the kids off at school and DH at the train and came home and went back to bed for two and a half hours! Can you believe it?!

Okay , here comes a MAJOR vent from me...

I am blaming the hormones on everything. Life is always posing new and frustrating challenges for me. Not that I am trying to sound so negative, but I am so worried about stuff lately.

DH works incredible hours, and my older son is having "social" problems in school,--my younger guy was suffering from stomach aches for almost 3 weeks and I had them run every imaginable test on him...and everything is NORMAL.

No diabetes ( there is a connection here but too long to get into) or lupus (I was grasping at straws), no H Pylori bacterium, no lactose intolerance.

His stomach aches have subsided and he is apparently better. It all started on his birthday with Kentucky fried chicken and a few days later, he bites into one of those "glow sticks" by accident...hmmm

Thank God that everything is normal, but it left me with no logical answer other than perhaps it is stress related? Maybe he was worried about being poisoned ( the glow stick)or who knows what goes on in a 7 year old mind?

Then the younger guy got some boo boo on his nose. So I took him to a dermatologist who said, ( and I have to tell you that I think this guy is a complete bumbling idiot) "Well, it is either impetigo OR psoriasis, and here's an RX for an oral antibiotic, a topical antibiotic, and a topical steroid". And within 5 minutes, he was racing out the door. My mouth dropped to the floor and I was so upset, but at the time I didn't have the forthought to tell the guy that his method was unacceptable. He never took a sample of the skin, to make sure what it was--

any way, long story, growing incredibly longer, I decided to call the dermatologist that he saw at a Childrens hospital in Chicago for something else. I told her that I didn't want to use a steroid on him without knowing what it was. I went ahead and tried the antibiotic (topical) and it seemed to be clearing it up, until a few days ago when something reappeared, even though I have continued the medication for almost 23 days now. So, I am at a cross roads now because since a skin sample was never taken, I hestate to use an oral antibiotic now, not knowing for sure what it is. My only recourse is to let it come back, and have her perform a skin sample at that time. It was a painful lesion, so I am worried about letting it come back, ya know? AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
There is now only about 10 days or so of school left and this is really bad timing. I dont want to infect any other kid, if what he has is indeed impetigo, but I can't, in good conscience use this antibiotic ointment longer than the 3 weeks that he's been on it.

So I obsess over all this stuff, trying to play scientist, doing research on the internet.
I know that it is not good for my baby. My stress hormones are probably too high. But I am not doing good at getting a grip on this. DH has his own set of challenges at work, and that is why he is working long hours.
And it leaves me feeling isolated, and left to figure stuff out. Getting a Dr.s appointment at eh Childrens hospital (where they specialize in stuff) is like pulling teeth and getting in there in a reasonable time is difficult. I am fortunate enough to be in contact with the department head, Professor of Dermatology, and she is always so kind and caring to call me back. I wish that I would have taken him to see her to begin with 3 weeks ago!
I am finding myself having a harder time making decisions and I am frequently frustrated, and I admit, I feel like I am becoming more depressed about having little to no answers in a short/ reasonable period of time.

Finally, my last gripe is lame, but it bugs me . A friend of mine told me that she was going to throw me a shower, after I had mentioned that I would like one. So a few days ago, I asked her if she wanted a list for the shower. And she proceeds to tell me that she can't do it, her DH told her that they can't afford it. I felt so stupid for asking, because in the back of my mind I was kind of excited that I would be having one. If I hadn't asked her about it, I don't think that she would have told me that she wasn't.

It isn't about getting stuff at all. I don't want you to think that. I just would like a celebration of having a new baby in my life. It is an honor to be surrounded by people who are excited for me. I think a lot of times, that people believe that showers are meant for 1st time mom's. I don't believe in that tradition, as I feel all babies should be welcomed by family and friends. But it would be rude to ask someone to throw you a party-and I wouldn't do that. And throwing my own party might not be looked at as proper either. Even if I emphasized that I didn't want gifts...maybe after he is born, we can do that to welcome him home.

Okay, I'll stop with my gripe now.

Are your eyes tired from reading yet? LOL...
Well, I'll continue with other things later. I want to respond to each of you as well. Next time I'll continue on a more positive note.

I am so sorry for the diatribe going on and on. I need to let it out. It's just how I am feeling and it has never been any good for me to keep it bottled up.

Bellyrubs to all,
Scully and Bellybean

geneve 05-25-2001 04:44 AM

Hello to everyone,
Please don't take this the worng way, but it's so nice to read about all the ups and downs because I relate to your feelings so well. All I want to do most of the time is lie down somewhere cool and read a trashy novel but life goes on and on, domestic emergencies of one kind or another people who want my time or waste it, and I keep thinking I should be able to concentrate on being pregnant and doing what I want to for the next few months because after that I'll be a baby slave for ages.
I'll probably have to miss a friends wedding (which DH has said he will go to alone which I'm not sure about) his parents 50th wedding celebrations (quite glad to get out of that but as I apparently have so much time on my hands I have to design write and send all the invitations) and a big trip to Ireland to celebrate my brothers 50th, his eldest daughter becoming a doctor and his middle daughter's 21st and youngest daughter's 18th (really upset about that as everyone else is going on and on about how good it will be and how much they are looking forward to it).
We don't have baby showers here..I wish we did. Celebrations seem to consist of people arriving unannounced and staying until the baby starts crying. Having had one myself I turn up and start offering to clean floors/make up bottles etc but that approach seems to be frowned upon. I think you have showers before the baby arrives? What kind of things do people bring? Some people bring presents after the baby is born, usually flowers or clothes, and of course all my aged aunites are busy knitting ridiculous frilly matinee jackets and booties (very appropriate for August). Best presents are at the christening, Ted's was only last year and he was given some lovely 100year old silver and a crate of port and champagne from his birth year to be kept until he's 21.
This morning I'msupposed to be heading off to the zoo with one of my sons little pals. Their idea, we all agreed last week, I stupidly volunteered to make a picnic and here I am waiting for the mother to call me back and let me know how many people are coming and what time they think we should meet up. I'm giving it another 30 minutes before I phone my Mother and ask her if she fancies a swim and lunch out which is what I'd like.
I've chickened out of the glucose test. I just cannot drink that horrible sweet stuff first thing in the morning without being sick. Only once have I kept it down long enough to get tto the hospital and then they were too busy to give me the test in time. I'll just have to talk to the mifdwife.
Anyway, I'm aware I'm rabbiting on again so will leave you with my best wishes.
Geneve

Jen 05-25-2001 09:15 PM

Hi all. Glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling like laying around all day watching her belly get bigger. Honestly I could spend the next 15 weeks in bed and be perfectly happy. Unfortunately I'm healthy as a horse so that is out of the question. I did take today off work though as I slept terribly last night and my back has been so sore.

Geneve - people can have baby showers whenever, before or after, I have seen both. I don't want a shower myself. I don't really have that many close friends to throw me a shower so I'm not too worried about it. I think your idea of offering to do stuff like cleaning up etc is nicer but I can see where others might not think so. Makes them feel inadequate that they can't take care of this stuff as well as looking after the baby. I would go with making them up some little treats, baking cookies or muffins or something like that. Also anyone that drops in unannounced on me isn't getting in the house for more than 5 minutes. That has got to be the rudest thing ever.

Scully - I'm sorry to hear that your son is having this boo boo on the nose. The nose is an odd spot for psorasis, usually it is on the elbows or knees, my dad had it. Of course it can show up anywhere, a girl I used to work with had it all over including her scalp and face but then you are likely to have more than one little spot on the nose. I have eczema myself and I know how stress related some of these skin conditions can be. Just before my dad died my whole face and neck was one big rash but generally I don't have a lot of breakouts anymore. Have you changed the type of soap he has been using? Ivory and Dove are supposed to be the best for sensitive skin. Also did he just putting on sunblock? It could be a reaction. Also you said that it was a painful lesion, psorasis usually isn't painful unless you happen to scratch at it a lot. It sounds like your best bet is to stop all treatments until it comes back and then have it properly diagnosed. The dr that gave you 3 different treatments needs to have his head examined. You don't do it that way, you try one thing at a time, giving each treatment a sufficient amount of time to work or not work.

bensmom - I'm only at 25 weeks and I could spend easily 12 hours sleeping. I don't sleep well at night anymore, I toss and turn a lot. Do you have one of those body pillows? Anyone, what are you supposed to do with it? I tuck it between my legs and try and get it under my belly a bit but it really doesn't seem to be helping me.

Sara - I haven't got anything for the baby yet. My mom has bought us a few outfits and we have a stroller and playpen from my brother. He's going to give us a bunch of other stuff eventually. What is holding me up is waiting for the DH to start working on the baby's room. Until then I refuse to buy anything because I won't have anywhere to put it!

Take care all, have a nice weekend. Jennifer

geneve 05-30-2001 02:25 PM

Hello everyone, I'm having such a weird day I have to write...found out a friend died a few weeks ago. About my age and she had a daughter just a few weeks after I had Ted, called Teddie. I know some of you will think that I shouldn't talk about death when we are all in the middle of new lives, but it has been a real shock, not because we were very close, the friendship originates with my DH who went to university with her husband, but because it has put all my little gripes and worries into perspective. I think it was John Lennon who said something like 'life is what happens while you're busy making other plans', and I guess that's me these days, living my life 10 weeks into the future when all the time it's going on all around me. It's just so sad for all of them, a few weeks ago they were planners and dreamers too.........
Sorry, sorry, sorry..
on to other things. DH broke his hand playing cricket and has ruled himself out of all domestic duties for a while. I'm half cross and half sorry for him. It was rather gory and I guess it hurts as I now have company in my sleeplessness.
I went to my first parentcraft class (horrid expression) and found out to my horror there are masses of pregnant women in the village all due in the next few months. I put it down to the terrible autumn we had...we were flooded in October/November and most people couldn't get to work etc...
There were some lovely women there though, so I am swallowing my cynicism and am going to go just to see if I can find a few new friends. They also asked me to do a reflexology talk/demonstration which I was very flattered by. I LOVE treating pregnant women, especially since I am one myself, the flow of energy is very uplifting.. hard to describe but if any of you have tried reflexology you might understand.
Thats about all. Forgive me for asking but if any of you pray, please say a word for poor Teddie and family, i do believe it will help.
Sending my very best wishes to Mums and babes.
Geneve

bensmom 05-30-2001 05:01 PM

Geneve - You are so right. Sometimes it takes a slap in the face to make us realize how small our problems really are. You can count on my prayers for the family.

Scully - I hope things are going better for your sons. My son actually came to me the other day and told me I was not giving him enough attention. Well, talk about a slap in the face. He has been so independent this year that I guess I got used to not doing everything with him (he is nine). So I dropped what I was doing to go and play with him. I felt terrible at the time but I realized he was right. There are a lot of things I want to finish in the next six weeks. But if that means not doing things with him, well then it will have to wait.

Friends gave me a surprise shower the other day. And I can say I was definitely surprised. Instead of a wishing well they had a "big brother basket" for my son. I thought that was a great idea. He enjoyed that a lot.

I had my 34 week check up today. And all is going well. Baby sounded good and is moving a lot. I can't believe how fast the time has gone by.

Hoping everyone is having a good day.

SaraB 05-30-2001 08:07 PM

Hello, dear pg friends!

It's good to hear how everyone's lives are going. You are so right, G, that sometimes we need something to wake us up and make us realize how thankful we are for all we have been blessed with. I am praying for the family.

I feel like I've gotten HUGE just in the last week! Baby is really growing (or at least, I sure am!). Those kicks and rolls just keep getting stronger. I just love feeling the baby move. Especially in the evening, when I am sacked out on the couch too tired to move, I just love feeling the baby move all around. I will be sad to see this pregnancy come to an end.

Does everyone have names picked out? We are all set for a boy (Josiah) but still up the air about a girl. Our choices are: Samantha, Abigail, Alyssa, and Grace. Middle name will be Danielle. Anyone out there have a favorite?

Cassanda, I think at 34 weeks you are the closest to delivery in our group! Are you getting excited? How are you feeling? Is you back holding up?

Blessings to everyone, and Scully hope everything is okay with your sons.

Sara

geneve 05-31-2001 04:36 AM

Cassandra, Sara, Thank you both.
We are still struggling with names to, personally I really like the name Grace and I might have chosen it myself but we already know two girls with the name. Also the fact that neither of us are in the least graceful...
DH and I seem to have totally different taste in names, especially girls. I also made the major mistake of asking my family for suggestions so have had some scary ones from my father in particular. For a boy I think we have agreed on Leo James, although I still like Magnus and Hamish (I was very keen on a Scottish name to go with my surname).
I'm off to see the consultant this morning to talk about a c-section. I still can't decide. My friend the midwife says I should but I still think if the baby looks a reasonable size in a few weeks time I might try for a normal delivery. Wish I know what it was.Had another dream it was a girl last night, but my waking self thinks it's a boy.
Whatever it is it can sure kick!

SaraB 05-31-2001 10:55 AM

G -- When are you due? Why do you maybe have to have a c-section (I'm sure you discussed it before and I somehow missed it, sorry.)

Sara

geneve 06-01-2001 05:11 AM

Hi Sara, I'm due 10th August. Possible section because when my son was born he had shoulder distocia (shoulders stuck in birth canal). When this happens I believe they generally dislocate or break the babys shoulder to get it out, they cannot do an emergency c-section once the baby is stuck that way. Luckily Ted got away with a dislocation and has no subsequent problems using his arm, but I was a real mess. Because of the tears I needed 3 pints of blood and no end of stitches. A gory story, but NOT going to happen to any of you, it's unusual, and I've no regrets as we both survived healthy which is the main thing. However there is a chance it may happen to me again so they have to try and work out how big the baby is,or more importand how big it's shoulders are. Now I'm tall (5ft8) and very strongly built, broad shoulders etc, DH is similar but taller although his family are pretty average build. My family throws out a fair number of giants on both sides, many men well over 6ft on both sides and my son is supposed to finish at about 6ft5. SOOO will it be a biggie or a little one? Turns out no one knows, all they can do is keep on scanning but I learned yesterday that the scans can be up to 2-3lbs out either way, which is a lot. My uncle Jim was 13lbs at birth and frankly I'm scared!! On the other hand, hospitals here don't like sections, I know it's different in the States, but my consultant keeps hedging about a decision and wants to decide at 38/39 weeks.
Bet you wish you hadn't asked now!!!!!
Well,off for a bit of a walk (waddle more like).I'm up almost 14lbs in all now and I can feel it!
Best wishes to you all.
Geneve