Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #31  
loves kleenex box art

I have no swiss chard lately but I LOVE IT. It is not the same as Kale. It's colorful and fresh tasting.

No Easter displays. Would that be miniature stations of the cross?

I have a job interview this afternoon that's a job I need to get, I think. It will evolve into a state job which is a good thing.

I am eating pistachios and thinking of basing my diet around them. That mid-eastern food is SOOO GOOOOD> All of it. That I've had. We have an Ali Baba restaurant here (not Dogpatch ... the town where I work) that is just tooo wonderful.

DS and Herbie leave for Barcelona next week. Herbie says DS should bring $100 a day to spend. Does that sound right? He has to buy his lunch and dinner and whatever else he wants but $100 a day? That's abut Eu70, right? How do you write 70 Euros?

TPBM could improve the layout of the phone book.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #32  
Member w/ messiest house

True. Wouldn't take much, would it?

I think that $100/day is probably pretty close. Of course he shouldn't have to spend that much, but you don't want him to go hungry, eh? The trip that DD's French club is planning for next year has a suggestion of 300-500 spending money for the week, and they don't even have to pay for dinners or breakfasts. Isn't Euro Eu? Or is it EWWW

Swiss chard comes in several colors. All the leaves are green, but the ribs are white or yellow or crimson. I was watching that Martha show on PBS Everyday Food and they said that it is more related to beets than to kale. Is good stuff, mild tasting.

A Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all!

I have to make corned beef dinner tonight. DH brought it home the other day. Guess I shouldn't have made a pot roast the day before yesterday. We're going to OD on beef. And he didn't even buy any cabbage to go with it! (Nobody but me in this house can stand cabbage)

TPBM forgot all about St. Patrick's Day

Kiwi
Old 03-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #33  

False. I wore a black outfit, but I have on a green tank top that shows just a little. That's as into St. Paddy's day as I get.

How do you cook swiss chard? I think I need to try something new. Maybe some swiss chard would be enough to make Sugar's life less bland. No?

Peach, this free trip from Herbie is starting to sound expensive. Don't they have a Wendy's dollar menu over there??? I hope you get the cushy government job.

My sister called to remind me Easter is coming up and that my house would be a great place for Easter dinner.

TPBM is planning on drinking at least one green beer today.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #34  
loves kleenex box art

False. Teetotallaer here.

Wash the chard. Slice it up including the pretty stems. Steam it. It's very very good and highly nutritious I'm sure.

I must leave in 1/2 hour for the interview. ABout to get nervous. I also applied at a rental car thing at the airport and they're offering me an interview. The hours would be crummythough. What do u think they pay?

TPBM does laundry every day.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #35  
fatter than U

Talking

False. If I did laundry every day my laundry room wouldn't look the way it does and everyone wouldn't be down to their last pair of emergency underpants.

Ah, I got a gardening catalogue today and now I know what swiss chard looks like. Not like kale. Sort of beety and spinachy at the same time, right?

EUR 70 or €70 is the way to write it. That sounds like a good amount just to be sure- he can bring some back. I don't know how expensive Spain is these days. Is he taking traveller's cheques?

TPBM says BarTHelona.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:40 PM   #36  
loves kleenex box art

False but I know that is the cool way to say it. I used to know a Mexican guy who used to say v instead of b or something to try to sound cosmopolitan.

I don't know how the interview went. They were so insistent that you have to be NICE and SMILE when you work there that I didn't know if their smiles at me were sincere.

He has travelers cheques and EUR 100 from his last trip with Herbie. Ought to be enough. Herbie thinks the young guys will go off by themselves. I think they'll end up in girlie shows. How much do they cost?

TPBM has been insulted by a stranger this week.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:57 PM   #37  
Member w/ messiest house

Goodness no, not in this little burg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia
I also applied at a rental car thing at the airport and they're offering me an interview. The hours would be crummythough. What do u think they pay?
I can't imagine that you'd like working for a rental car agency. I don't think they pay all that well, and you'd have to put up with all those snotty people who think they are the only person on earth to ever rent a car.

Barthelona? I'll be doggoned. I thought that was a lisp. We learned when we were in Hungary 110 years ago that Budapest is really two cities and they are pronounced Buda and Pesht. And then we saw a guy standing on a street corner with his hand down the front of the dress of the woman next to him. I came away with the idea that Hungary, although politically repressed, was a rather lusty place.

This is how I like to make Swiss Chard (or fresh spinach, for that matter). I know I saw this same method on TV recently, but I can't find it in Everyday Recipes, which is the only cooking show I've been watching, so I'll just tell you how I do it.

Rinse all the chard in a big bowl or sumpin -- Submerge it, we want it nice and wet. Take each leaf out and on a cutting board, slice out the thick rib part. Rip the leaf in half or quarters and put it back in the rinse water. When you get all the ribs on the cutting board, slice them in ½-1" chunks.
Mince or press a garlic clove (or a few if you love lots of garlic).
Heat a wok or large (12") frying pan real hot. Make sure you have a lid for this pan to use later. Add some olive or other oil, 1 or 2 tablespoons. Toss the garlic in and let it start sizzling. Throw the rib chunks in. Turn down the heat just a little (maybe Med. Hi), sautée for 5-10 minutes, moving things around so they don't burn.
Drain the water off the leaves. Shake them only a little -- you want water on them. With your frying pan still very hot, dump the whole bunch into the pan and clamp the lid down on it (be sure to tuck in the stray ends...). Give it a minute or two and steam should start to escape, then turn it down low and let it steam for a few minutes. Salt and pepper it.
Hopefully nothing will be irretrievably stuck to the pan, but let's face it, that's the part you get to eat in the kitchen after dinner.
This stuff cooks down to very little -- the three of us ate an entire bunch the other night, and it wasn't any too much. I don't know what would happen if you tried to do 2 bunches in one pan. This recipe is like the one in the Joy of Cooking for Panned Spinach.

MMmm. Not as healthy as steamed, I'm sure, but awesome stuff.

My datter is at an impromptu birthday party watching movies. She doesn't have school tomorrow. I am thinking of dragging her to visit a college. It will have to be one she is not interested in, because that is all that is in quick driving distance. Never the less, I think it would be a worthwhile thing to do.

TPBM thinks I have no life and is right.

Kiwi
Old 03-18-2005, 12:03 PM   #38  

Not true. You have a life. Right now it revolves around DD and her activities, and when you've prepared her for flying the nest, you'll have a different life. That is life, kiddo. Gosh, don't I sound wise??? heh.

I'm reading a new book. It's Brick Lane by Monica Ali. I think it's going to be really, really good. It's a good thing I have a new book because the guys just started a big contract job today and I'll be lonely for weeks here.

My bleeding hearts are blooming. Both white and pink ones.

TPBM thinks I have no life.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:46 PM   #39  
loves kleenex box art

FALSE. Best life = Bagz. Tied for second Wabbo, Kiwi, Painter and Sugar. Last is me. If I left anyone out, they should probably post more.

It is crazy how unhappy I am here at work.

TPBM thinks Michael Jackson is innocent.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:13 PM   #40  
Member w/ messiest house

Yep, he's as innocent as any twisted psycho nutcase could be. I think he may actually believe that it is okay to play footsie with little boys, but that doesn't make him innocent, it makes him insane. I think he's a real sad case, but he should still be locked up.

My cat is staring at me. I am teaching her social skills. I have taught her that if she hops down from the desk onto a chair, I will pet her. She is not a fast learner.

I didn't take DD to any college today. We both decided we didn't want to spend 6 hours in the car to visit a college she wasn't interested in. Our reward is that she got her reply from Brown and she got a scholarship that pays for 1/3 of her course this summer. Yay.

You're so wise, Wabbit. A vewwy vewwy wise wabbit. I just like saying that. I think it's sweet that your bleeding hearts are blooming. It's a beautiful sunny day here today, but it is beastly cold out, so I'm enjoying it from "within".

TPBM gets fat just drinking coffee.

Kiwi
Old 03-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #41  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

no,i get fat in a much more enjoyable way=------------I ATE THREE PIECES OF MY BIRTHDAY CAKE TODAY!!!!--AND I AM NOW 48 SO HOW SUCKY IS THAT!!!!!---- since it is my birthday today that means it's peacher's birthday soon ----of course i am only telling you it's my day so kiwi will put the happy birthday with balloons man on her next posting----and also because i know how upset you will be if you miss telling me happy birthday and i don't like to see you upset----plus it will make sugar feel SO young----I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I AM THIS CLOSE TO FIFTY---------SHOCKING!!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #42  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

Tbpm Is Drinking Tonight
Old 03-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #43  
loves kleenex box art

False although you could easily drive me to it you OLD BAT.

Have I told you that my boss is a grade A annoyance? What is wrong with me???? I am always bothered by these boss-people who act like they've got a PhD in every detail of life. Today, I brought in my crockpot to cook a stew for DS to take to a potluck for his academic team tonight. She says, "I think this is inappropriate." Blah Blah Blah Blah. I tell her that everyplace I ever worked, people cooked in the kitchen and actually shared food. We do not. We are not friendly. She acted surprised and said again it's inappropriate so I snapped that I had no idea it would offend her. She continued that it was inappropriate so I stared at her my meanest stare and interrupted to say, Now that I know it offends you, I will not do it again. She said, good.

TPBM remembers the name of their first grade boyfriend.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:18 PM   #44  

False. I remember what he looked like, but I don't remember his name. He had very pretty blue eyes. I don't remember because I'm almost a year older than Bagzie.

Happy Birthday Bagzie, dear!!!! 48 is such a child. I remember waaaay back when I turned 48. Hope yours is wonderful. Remember being in your 20's and thinking 40 was old??? The good news is it's not!!!!! and neither is 48.

Peaches your boss is a dolt. What is inappropriate about plugging in a crockpot??? She needs to get a life. Obviously you haven't given her enough problems so she has to invent them.

TPBM wasn't planning on drinking tonight, but will lift a few in Bagzie's honor after all.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #45  
fatter than U

Wink

False! I only drink water, but that's not stopping me from wishing Bagzie a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! You're adorable at any age.

Peachy - your boss sounds like she'd make a good ediot. Imagine being offended by a stew. It's not like you were frying eggs on her desk or something.

(first grade boyfriend: Rupert Wong. He had a pet alligator and stinky little sister)

TPBM is going to sleep in tomorrow because she has nothing to do.
Closed Thread