3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Chit Chat #107 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/52368-chit-chat-107-a.html)

Jane 01-23-2005 03:42 PM

Chit Chat #107

Welcome to the Jaded Ladies Club! :wave:

We are a friendly group that provides support, not just in weight loss, but in all of our daily joys and struggles. Please feel free to join us. :)

Marti 01-23-2005 05:14 PM

Hello ladies--

Cristi--Yep, Walmart. Good Ol' Walmart. I'm always amazed when I hear people at work who refuse to shop at walmart...but that's what they do. I shop because it's cheaper than other places and I like to save my money. But back to the pedometer. $3 roughly. James said they had a lot over there. I told him he should get one for himself! He's constantly walking up and down the rails at work. I wonder how many steps he takes while he's at work!

Ellen--I know you'll be sad when your DD moves, but at least you know she has this wonderful BF. And as the others say...you'll be a wonderful MIL. I'm hoping that the snow you have won't come down this way to Oregon. We've been having unusually warm weather here. My rose bush is still blooming pretty roses.

Jane--You were up late last night weren't you? Were you able to get much sleep? I didn't watch any movies last night. I called up Jhanai around 5 to see how she was doing and she was in Creswell (about 5miles from me) at her grandparents while her dad was working on his truck, so I went over there and picked her up for a few hours. Took her back about 10 just as her dad was thinking of finishing up. So I got to spend some time w/her. Tonight though.....is another story...have to find a good movie.

Pam--
James fixed our computer...did something and it works faster now. The only thing that I don't have is IM. (instant messaging) So that's ok for now. As long as I'm not tapping my foot waiting for the page to load up!!

Katie--How are you doing? You mentioned your anniversary in March. What day? Mine & James is on March 24th. Our first wedding anniversary! I'm still trying to figure out what we want to do (notice I say I'M) since we have to schedule the days off a month ahead of time. Very frustrating. And trying to figure out what day James can get off is also frustrating........I'll figure it out though.

James got his call to go to work. So I wasn't able to do anything with him this weekend. I was wanting to at least go out for breakfast or lunch for my birthday. But that's ok. I can stay home and mope! :D

I need to get dressed and cleaned up...I may go see my sister and the baby today. Not sure yet, since it's already pass noon.

I'll check in later.

PamPSM644 01-23-2005 08:23 PM

I ,for one, love Walmart. It's this century's Sears. Where eles would the elderly and handicapped be so welcome as employees? They give them stock options and many fringe benifits. These are mostly people who are unskilled or for other reason unemployable by most companies. I think Walmart is getting a raw deal in the press. Those that refuse to shop there are those who can afford to pay 50$ for a blender at a highend store. I can't. Boy, was that just a "rant"? :^:

Tried to push my walk to an hour. It did not go well. Half way though I got an low-blood sugar attack. Haven't had one of those in a long time. Rested for a while before truging back home. Wondered if I'd make it but I did. My son says I'm not to go that far again. He doesn't want to scrape me off the street.

Well girls,thats all for now. See you in the AM. Pam

Marti 01-23-2005 09:34 PM

Checking in again to see how everyone is doing. Must be enjoying your Sunday!!

Pam--I hope you're feeling better after your walk! That's scary. Any way you can prevent that from happening again?? Next time, grab your son and walk together!

Finished cleaning my kitchen. I kind of put that room on the back burner...but today I couldn't ignore it. Drove me crazy. It's not like I had tons of dishes or anything...my counters are just cluttered w/non-kitchen items! We accumulate to much junk!! Most of it's done. Other things that I've left, I need to have James tell me if it's something he needs or wants to keep. Other than that.....I'm finished.

Well I hope everyone is well and had a great weekend.

take care girls

RosieKate 01-24-2005 08:58 AM

Good morning!
:coffee: doing my usual Monday morning routine....just waiting for the :coffee: to finish perking. I attended my church book group last night..and was up past my bedtime :blah: we were discussing Life of Pi and really got into it. It really is a modern classic. I've read and discussed it now with two different book groups and both concluded it has a life-changing message.

Today Leigh and I are off to Salem to to visit with my Grandma. Last time I was there, I accidentally walked off with her cellphone as it looked just like mine, so now I finally have a chance to return it. Fortunately it's a phone she seldom uses.

Marti - your kitchen cleaning tear is motivating me to do the same. I have a lot of cupboard space, so I keep my appliances in the cupboards....I also don't like cluttered counters. What I need to do is wash down the cupbards and clean the floor. Seems like I just DID that..... :dizzy: Glad you got to spend some extra time with Jhanai.

Re: Walmart....well...to each their own I guess. Pam I know you mean well, but I can't afford to shop high end and I stay away from walmart. I am a frugal person and I make out just fine saving money without a Walmart, but I think that is also because I live in a city and Walmart business strategy is to put their stores in suburban and rural areas. I do not live near one and it is just as well. I have been in one exactly once in my entire life and it gave me the creeps. I know they are not all like that. I have read articles about their business practices that would make your hair curl...but, you know... that's free enterprise folks. I figure if they are that bad....it'll get 'em one of these days and they are not the only company out there that provides less than stellar working conditions. Just wanted to let you know a little about where the other side is coming from on this. I do know that where many people live, Walmart is the only game in town and I do agree people should be saving their money and not blowing it on junk...so if shopping Walmart helps people met their financial goals, then that's great.

Pam - that fall sounded scary... It's so great thatyou are out and walking again, but please be careful. Maybe you should walk after ameal, so your blood sugar doesn't go nuts on you?

Leigh just got up and she's fussing, so I'll be back!

Jane 01-24-2005 09:35 AM

Good morning ladies!

Katy - hope you have a good visit with your grandma and return her cell phone, lol. I have to admit, I haven't heard of the book Life of Pi. Is this something I'd enjoy?

Marti - yes, I had a sleepless Sat. night. :( Sometimes when I wake to use the bathroom, I just can't get back to sleep, so I usually just get up and find something to do. I need to get back to the spring cleaning in my kitchen. Sounds like you and Katy both dislike cluttered countertops as much as me!

Pam - hope you're feeling better today. My blood sugar used to dip before I went on WW. Just dawned on me that I very seldom have that problem anymore, unless I'm running late for my meal or snack.

Hi to all the other JLs! :wave:

I'm hesitant to say much about Walmart but I will say this - if I had another place to go for the same prices, I know I'd ditch them. They don't give back to the community like all other stores do - no taxes is part of their deal with the city fathers - and I know they got sued for making their emplyees work off the clock. My sister worked there briefly and was made to do this, so I know it was nation-wide. But like Marti says, we're all trying to get the most for our money. I could go on and on about how they raise prices and then mark them down, but I won't.

That's my 2¢ worth, lol.

Had a great weekend with Neal, planning his retirement. He gives his official notice today. That has to be scary and exciting, both, for a man who has taught at the same university for 31 years.

BBL,

PamPSM644 01-24-2005 11:26 AM

:coffee2: Good Morning Girls.Our weather is dropping today,only suppose to be 74 with possible rain tomarrow. Not going to push myself so far today. I have to adjust my thinking.Losing 1 lb isn't so bad. :p

Eddie's off today and he'll spend part of it at restoring the appearance of the arcade game. There are quit a few chores around the yard he has to do to.He's trying to talk me into a racier car like a Camero.

About Walmart, maybe I don't know as much as I thought I did. I pay taxes so I don't like the idea of someone not paying. :nono:

Marti,Junk,Don't you hate it? I have a rule. If I haven't used or touched something in over a year out it goes. I either toss it or give it to someone. I can't stand clutter.Everything has a place and a purpose or eles. :devil:

Katy, how nice to still have a Grandma.I assume she's a lovely person for you to be visiting her. Mine was scary. She'd save the leftovers for a week, then make soup and insist we all come over and eat it. :yikes:

Ellen, where are youuuu. :wave:

jewels2 01-24-2005 12:47 PM

Hey Girls

Well, sorry its been a few days, so Ill need to catch up on my posts for personals!!! We had a blizzard here over the weekend, topped off with 3 feet of snow...I did make it to work today but it was slow moving!!!The governor declared a state of emergency and asked businesses to close, so people would stay off the road...but not my good ole job!! I got to work late, because Ive been snowed in for the last 2 days with my friends kids!!!! It was so bad that I couldnt take them home yesterday, so I had to keep them over night again and bring them back this morning!!!
As far as my weigh in goes....not too happy here!!! The scale said I weighed 4 lbs heavier than last week's 198, which is crazy cause I didnt snack, I worked out all week last week, and ate totally healthy...Im hoping its just water weight or something, cause theres no way I gained weight last week!!! :?: .....
JANE: I did see that your DH has decided to retire...Good for him!!! Maybe you guys can really start enjoying your time together now.....!!!

Well back to work for now...just 1 more hour to go!!!!
Julie

FrouFrou 01-24-2005 01:50 PM

Hiya ladies~

RE: Wal-mart, like Jane, if there was somewhere else for me to shop and get the same prices I definitely would do so. We do have a few stores, the local Dillions (Kroger) which is waaaaay to high. I only go there if I forgot something when buying groceries or I am out of something, it's closer and faster than go to Wal-mart. I do shop at Target and like them a lot better but not for groceries. They don't have the selection as the other stores. We also have a Food 4 Less which I won't walk into! ICK! I think no matter where you shop there are going to be issues about something. I am always getting e-mails about boycotting this place and that place, or this product and that product etc. Anyway...

Jane~that is cool that you and Neal were planing his retirement bet it is a little scary at the same time. I mean after working for so many years and then not. Anyway, I know you guys will enjoy each others company and have a nice time traveling. Now will Katie be going off to college next year?

Marti~did you go see your sis yesterday? Now is this the one who just had the baby? Glad you got some extra time with Jhanai.

Julie~be careful in this weather. Just saw on the news all the snow! I am keeping my fingers :crossed: that we don't get anything like that or what Jane got a while back. I am happy with the 50 degree weather we are having. Sorry about the scales, don't know what to say about that. I did have that happen once to me and I knew there was no way because I did stay OP, just figured it was the scales. The next WI it was back down plus some so then I knew it was the scales. So hopefully it was just your wacky scales.

Ellen~thank you for the well wishes. I know like you I don't know if I will ever be ready for my kids to leave. But I know I have to let go. I just hope when they all move out they don't go to far. When my oldest went off to college in VA at the age of 18 that killed me. It was toooo far away and I didn't think he was ready for that. Of course after a semester he was back home. So hopefully your DD will be close to you in distance. Sounds like she has a great guy tho and I think that makes a mom feel better. A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to her tomorrow!

Katy~hope DH grandma is better. Pneumonia scares me, DH#1 almost died from it. I am going to have to see what this Life of Pi is all about, sounds interesting.

Pam~there ya go, a camero is what ya need! I had a '87 and I swear everytime I stopped at a light or stop sign I always had some kid reeving his engine. :lol: I am serious. For the most part tho they really are nice cars. Had to get rid of it because it just wasn't a family car but I did love that car! It was my BD present from DH. Anyway, hope you are feeling better and hey losing a pound is GREAT! :bravo: Every pound adds up missy.

Okay, hope I didn't miss anyone. Can't remember what all was said on the other thread. But HI to everyone else. :wave:

I am feeling a little better today. Feel a little weak but better. I did stay in bed all day yesterday and must say it was nice to have eveyrone waiting on me. :D I watched some tv, slept some, played Wheel of Fortune (handheld game), slept some, read the sunday paper, slept some more and actually slept most of the night which was good after being awake most of Saturday night. I am hoping the worst is over. The bad thing is now DD has it! Normally when one of us gets sick we don't usually pass it around but I got it from just talking and being around DS. I told V he probably should stay away from me so he doesn't get it. Of course good ole Ernie was right by my side the whole day and half the night. had to run him off when V came to bed. He doesn't like him in our room at night. Anyway...trying to get caught up on laundry. Got two loads done so far and since changing the sheets on the bed I have two more to go. Might try to straighten the house a little depending on how I feel. Don't want to do too much and getting the sheets changed and the laundry done really tired me out. I really hate being sick. Anyway, ladies hope everyone is fine and is having a nice day.

Marti 01-24-2005 03:34 PM

Good afternoon ladies--

One thing about Walmart....it's the only store of that kind in my town. I prefer Target, myself. So, instead of making a 20min. trip to Eugene, I just drive around the corner or so and there it is. Anyway.....

Cristi--Glad you're feeling much better, and sorry that DD has it! Seems like it's going around. No, I didn't go to see my sister and the baby. I was too tired to go anywhere. In fact, I didn't even leave the house yesterday!! I just needed one of those days I guess! I will see her soon though.

Julie--Your weather sounds exteme!! I've been reading about Ice storms and all kinds of stuff. Just be careful getting around!! I'd hate to hear that you fell or something!

Pam--I DO hate cluttery junk! My kitchen gets it the most and that drives me crazy!! There is this one corner in my kitchen, right next to the refridgerator...you can't see it unless you're right up on it......FULL of clutter!! But I'll work on that next weekend!

Jane--How exciting for Neil to be planning his retirement! Now, are you going to be planning a secret retirement party for him? Now, when did you say he'll be retiring, the end of the school year or the end of the year? I hope you two get to spend the retirement years getting all tan and drinking all kinds of tropical drinks!!

Katy--Have fun going to grandma's! I haven't gone to see my grandpa in weeks!! I really need to get over there. I'm thinking tomorrow would be a good day. He's always so busy and never home so taking the chance to go over there can be tricky. But I'll go tomorrow and see how he's doing.

Well it's BEAUTIFUL outside!! Sun is shining. But it's COLD!!!! (((shiver)))

Had a nice cozy fire going all night last night......love that comfort feeling. Maybe thats why I didn't leave the house yesterday!! I have to clean myself up a bit....I may check in later.

Jane 01-24-2005 10:44 PM

Hiya ladies,

Just popping in for a minute.... hope everyone's Monday was good.

Susan - you never did let us know how the hearing went. Hope no news is good news and all is well with you and Gaby.

Pam - a Camaro! Wish I had one!! Not exactly granddaughter-friendly, but oh well, lol. What color would you try to get?

Julie - remember when I had a 4 pound gain out of no where? It was the only time I showed a gain, and totally unjustified!! It must have been water, because I lost it, plus 2 more, the next weigh in. As long as you know it wasn't because of overeating, just know in your heart that it will come right back off, ok?

Cristi - yes, Katie will go to VU in the Fall, and will go 1/2 price while Neal is still employed there. She will have 3 college courses, 9 credit hours, under her belt before she gets out of high school. The school works with the college in getting kids with free time into classes like English Comp and other standard classes out of the way. Glad you're feeling better, friend. Don't overdo it for a few days, ok?

Marti - wah!! I miss the fireplace we had in town, and at Fern's house! Hearing you talk about it brought back memories of the crackling logs and dancing flames. I like Target's stuff, too, but sad to say, Walmart is cheaper and I don't have a Target near me! Target always has some cool gardening things that you might want to check out now that you're more into that kind of thing.

Went you-know-where and bought the DGDs some gardening gloves and 2 tiny wheelbarrows. They are so cute! But I've been talking to them about the leaves we need to rake and the flowers we'll plant. I know it's early still, but it gives us something to look forward to.

Also got Neal's valentines stuff before it gets picked over.

Take care and I'll see you mañana!

Mom2Gaby 01-24-2005 11:12 PM

Hi,hi,hi,,,,,,,,,

Just am buried in this paperwork......

The judge didn't grant my change of venue. We had one meeting earlier before the hearing and that was so so......

Mike is a nasty person.

We had a second meeting this last Saturday and that was horrible. My mother went with me and I stayed calm with her in tow.

He left the meeting mid stream.... it is kind of funny but I was wearing my Russian ring from the Russian resident.... and pretty sure Mike saw it and just assumed that I was engaged or some darn mental warp thing only he can come up with.......lol

So, he left.......I sat and talked with the mediator and came up with something to offer him.He refused though this morning. ..,,,,,when she called him.

So.............now he wants sole custody.

*ROLL EYES*

Mediator is requesting the court a parenting evaluation - something that cost $3000 and something that I have to come up with half the cost....hahaha - like Mike will come up with half of his......

I will go back down on Monday and meet with a lawyer in Cannon Beach. My mom will pay to retain his services........thank goodness.

Exhausted.........i better go,........tons to do,,,,,,,no rest for the weary......hehehehehehe.........omg- think I am gong nuts,.....lol..

chat later :)

Jane 01-25-2005 09:42 AM

Good morning, ladies,

Susan - oh, I'm so sorry that the meetings aren't going well and that Mike is being a butthead. Mike with sole custody? HA HA HA, don't make me laugh! With Mike's past history, hopefully your new lawyer will be able to put the skids to that!! In the meantime, though, I know this has to be so hard for you. Wish I could help, Susan....

Marti - usually you check in after work... hope all is well.

I've been on the phone talking Disney talk with a friend. She and her family are going in June... which reminds me... I think I forgot to say hello to

Kathy - didn't you mention that you're going to Disneyland soon? Like you, I'm mad for the mouse, lol.

My SIL from Evansville and I are going to meet 1/2 between our homes, and have lunch. She's a sweetie and I enjoy her company so much. Gotta watch the points, though!

Have a good day and I'll bbl,

Katiecat 01-25-2005 11:06 AM

good morning, Jaded Ladies :coffee:

Susan, I'm really sorry to hear the mediations are not going well. I'm glad your mom is helping with the retainer fees and the moral support. You know we are pulling for you here... :grouphug:

Ellen, hope you are doing ok up there in the Great White Frozen North. When I was weeding through about 3 weeks of chit-chat threads, I think I heard (read?) you mention a "tuque" -- that made me smile. Had no idea what it was until I married a man from Detroit, who loves hockey and whose mom is from Canada ;) He shaves his head, so he wears one every day to work -- brrr, baby it's cold outside...

Jane, don't know if you were thinking of me, but I just bought my Disneyland tickets for March yesterday -- hooray!!! Our fifth anniversary is 3/17. We are driving down late late late 3/15, and will have 5 nights at the Disneyland Hotel. Our last trip on my birthday was so much fun -- I can hardly wait! And congrats on Neal's retirement! I can hardly wait for the day I retire :) :) :)

Maybe Marti didn't pop in last night because she was Gazelling....

Regarding the Walmart controversy...my son worked there for about 5 months, and their hiring practices and the way they treat their employees was not too great. He finally had to quit because they were working him over time until 2am, and his college grades were slipping -- he asked to cut his hours down, and they told him no-go...so he had to quit. He was given a small raise when he went to work in the cash office, and he had to ask and ask for them to pay him from the time he started in that dept. On the other hand, though, they gave him a shot even though he is young and pretty inexperienced, and they will offer jobs for folks that are older or disabled, or even those that have a pretty checkered job history. I have a Walmart and a Target both within about a mile of my house. I go to Walmart for the cheaper prices and bigger selection, and to Target for better quality and better atmosphere. Target sure made me mad this Christmas when they banned the Salvation Army bellringers, though...

Ack, I'm off to work...hi to everyone I missed!

gotta fly (as usual) :angel:

Mary Kate

PamPSM644 01-25-2005 11:53 AM

:coffee2: Hello Ladies. My son hogged the PC yesterday afternoon so didn't get a chance to check in again. It was nice spending some time with him though.

Mary Kate, I want to hear all about Disneyland. Haven't been in years but can't wait to get there again.

Susan, you need a vodo doll that looks like Mike so you can stick pins in it.lol

Jane, when are you all planning you first globe trotting and where? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ellen, where are you? Come out and play?

To all the ones not mentioned above a big yoohoo. :wave:

I told my son if he insists on getting me a racy car it must be red.lol Might as well go all the way.

BBL, Pam