Old 04-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #1  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Battle of the Bulge #15- Fresh start

Hey everyone!
Here is our new thread. I think maybe we should shake things up a little so let's change what we talk about each day:

Sunday- Still goal setting, weight check in (starting this over), and goals for the week.
Monday- Support and let's talk about what sabotages us- barriers to weight loss and how to handle them.
Tuesday- "What have you been eating" since last Tuesday- maybe ideas for low fat, low calories things to eat. Recipes etc.
Wednesday- "What have I been doing to shake my bootie"- ideas for exercise, ways to fit in time to shake it , and routines.
Thursday- Support and "one thing I have changed" day- this means one thing I have changed this week to make my life better or weight loss easier.
Friday- TGIF so support and advice for others- whatever you think will help everyone- links to sites, advice, etc.
Saturday- Recap day and give yourself a score of how you did for the week- everyday you meet a goal give yourself a point- so if your goals are to eat on plan, drink 8 glasses of water, and exercise 20 minutes a day you have 3 possible points you can earn.

Okay - well need to run for now. I will pop on later to chat and set my goals for the week.
For all you lurkers- join us! I would love to get this busy again and it is a good time to start with us so come on in!
Hope the changes will be good for everyone. If there is a day you don't like- speak up and we will change it. Also- if there are days you want to just talk- hop on and talk and don't worry about it. I just crave structure so I decided to get us back on track.
Have a wonderful day everyone!!
Crime girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:59 AM   #2  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Found the thread but it's into bed with me! Good night. Capping Sunday here! Oyasumi nasai!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #3  

HI all! had a pretty quiet weekend, still getting used to the new routine. bought a yoga DVD in the weekend.. had a crack at it, I was ok.. only fell over once! lol.. should be cool when I actually get as flexible as the instructor! mind you, somethings I am really bendy at, others I totally suck. still it's a good alternative to the gym seeing as I am so tired at nights and can just do it in my room. anyway gotta get to work but will catch up soon! great to see you back CG!!

P.s Red.. remember it's still but supple on the horse!
HAL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:09 AM   #4  
Never give up

OK, someone on another thread wrote this up and I'm going to borrow it for you all here because I think it's really good.

derrydaughter wrote:

"Mental Rehearsing".... is practice in your imagination

Since the mind and body form one system, your mind can help prepare your body for the actual situation in which you want to behave or act a certain way. It's practiced by all top performers, be they athletes, actors, musicians, artists, public speakers or salesmen. It can also be practiced by people who want to become top performers at losing and managing their weight. Mentally rehearse for weight-management success by doing the following:

1. Identify a weight-related situation where you want to respond in a more resourceful way:

2. Create a movie of yourself in the situation. Imagine yourself responding the way you want. Watch the movie. What day is it? Where are you? Who are you with? What are you saying? What exactly are you doing and how are you doing it?

3. When you're finished watching the movie, step into it, and rehearse your response in your imagination. See what you will see. Hear what you will hear. Feel what you will feel. Do what you will do.

4. Mentally rehearse every day before the actual situation.

I'm going to give it a try for a few different situations.

Ok, hi NBK, glad to see you! falling over at yoga! you crack me up!!

Well, you know you talk about supple on the horse but it's nothing like yoga. I mean, you don't move your body much really. It's about being sensitive and tuned in enough to read the movements and respond to them with your body but when I think supple, I want to be, like you said, bendy!!

heh others! come on in here and get posting! CG, shan, stormy, grass, doin, princess, any others I haven't heard from in so long I've forgotten, come on in!
Old 04-04-2005, 07:14 AM   #5  
Never give up

Ok, and Crime Girl, because you have gone through all the trouble to make up a subject for each day, I am going to try to follow it. Obstacles to weight loss (I'm wrapping up Monday here already, as is NBK). I want to say that planning is crucial and I'm not talking about planning complicated meals or doing a whole day in advance. I think I can avoid a lot of overeating and indulgement eating by evening planning the next meal, the next few hours, whatever, kind of in line with that mental rehearsing I showed you in last post. I notice too that when I have a little plan I can anticipate that and learn to WAIT til my next chow time instead of stuffing whatever in my face, kind of like a dog and a person putting down her food bowl and saying "Wait!" and not allowing the dog to eat until you give the cue. Though I think it's bullying for a dog and would never do it, or at least not the excesses I see people do it, the analogy may work for me!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:59 AM   #6  
shannon

Hi, all. Sorry to be so late hopping on. I am still sick. Now, it is in my chest. So, I cough and then can't breath! Not in a very friendly mood as a result of not sleeping too well! Plus, I know I won't be able to exercise...again! I am going to do some hand weights, though. I've got to do something. It has been five days since I have exercised and I am really missing it!!

Red - Glad to hear your mini-protests are having some positive affects! Even if they aren't hitting those that need it between the eyes!! Keep it up. Eventually, someone is bound to notice!!!! Maybe????

Glad you are so excited about exercising again! I also miss it when I don't get to do it! I need to get me a pedometer. I walk a lot from my office, to the copier, to the checkup room, computer room, etc. Might be cool to see exactly how many steps i take in an average day! I might just surprise myself!!!

Great "stolen" info, by the way! It makes a difference when you visualize yourself making a complete pig out of yourself! Especially when you paut a snout and pigs tail on yourself! That puts everything in perspecitve!

CG - Glad you are back! You were definately missed! Don't let the job hunting get you down! Sometimes, you just have to keep at them. Have you tried doing call backs? I've read you should do them every week or so. That way, the interviewer knows you are interested and keeps you in the forefront of the mind. You might also want to try some temp agencies. They sometimes are great jumping off points!

Where/why are you moving? I think I missed that somewhere. Are you in a school apartment or something? Or, do you just want a change?

NBK - When you say you only fell over once, were you on a ball or on the floor? I've seen a yoga dvd, and I'd probably fall over every single time! I have very little coordination and balance! It'd be like watching an elephant do it!!! Might be entertaining to watch, though!!!

Well, I am being hounded by a back-up at the other warehouse! He is having so many problems! Poor guy! Anyway, if I can get left alone long enough, I will try to check back in later and post some more!

Have a great day all~!!!!!
shanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:43 PM   #7  
Never give up

Good morning. Riding is getting earlier. Have to be out sooner. I hate this getting up so early. I don't think most people could ever, ever do this. It sucks, but . . . it makes for a more productive day.

shanberg -- sorry to hear you're still sick. Hope you get better soon. Exercise is a no-go now but what about your eating. You didn't mention it. Have you been doing ok.
I've been so-so, well, not getting good food in me and have been eating candy again because I'm off the no-sugar thing. Enjoying the easing of restrictions. And I'm going to really start counting the calories again, while trying to eat better. I like the feeling of being "allowed" anything but knowing it's a very poor choice to have a candy bar and use up all those calories, kind of like taking a taxi home when the trains are still running. Still, sometimes your soul wants that taxi and not the depressing train. Other times you get a boost from having saved the money etc.

shan, for the record, I am NOT excited about exercising. My life is too full of things I don't want to do but have to. I am just resolved to make those steps pass 10,000 each day and the challenge sometimes takes me higher when I have the time. With me it is mostly about not having any time. And taking those steps means giving up other things that I need as well, such as a little down time, talking with friends, a nap or getting to sleep a little earlier, etc. But, I'm just saying, the exercise is a priority and the other stuff, though important, will have to lose out to it.

As for the stolen info, that's to be used the other way around, to see yourself doing something that will move you toward your goal. There's no need to visualize yourself doing something gluttonous. We already know about that! Well, maybe you knew that but were just kidding around. . .I got worried though!

Ok, gotta run. Ciao!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #8  

Hmmm.. well once again I flagged the exercise last night, too tired! Anyway it was good to catch up on the phone with a friend I have been out of touch properly with for a couple of months now~

Red - Remember to be still... not a statue.. it's so hard, but personally, when I have been marking dressage, I prefer someone who shares the fluidity of the horses movements, to someone who sits there and looks like a barbie doll plonked on a my little pony - correct position, but not relaxed into the horse... It's hard to explain without pictures! he he.. anyway good work! I am so impressed with how you keep on with Heidi and your combined education!

Shanberg - Ball?? I'm sorry you must have me confused with someone who has co-ordination! ha ha ha.... I am so crap.. I fall to the floor.. I have longish legs and arms, which means some poses are easy cos I can cheat, but most of them I am SOOO bad at! ha ha ha.. still it's a challenge and will complement my weights nicely. I like it too as I can do it at home. the yoga type class at the gym is full of skinny bendy people and so I feel fat and crap..at home I can feel fat and crap, but know only I think that!...actually they are starting to invade my weights class.. there was this chick whose hipbones stuck out on her back, more than at the front, yet her spine didn't really stick out... weird. Still she could hardly life the 1 kg weights... so that says something (not sure what tho)...

Anyway food is a bit of a nightmare at the moment,... trying to balance the fatigue and TOM with losing and also missing BF.. and McD's have the CUTEST soft toy puppies for sale at the moment... awww.. I wish I had a pet...

But enough me stuff..today is tuesday it is: What have I been eating?
Well the short answer is crap... but tonight it's back to my extra veggie soup!!! and also for lunch tomorrow..and dinner! lol. gotta love the broke and fat diet! he he

It's quite sad about the Pope, you know I don't think the new one will have quite the command of the worlds respect and hearts that John Paul II had.. times are changing.

Well take care, be kind to yourselves (looks esp hard at red) and have fun! Laughing burns heaps of calories!
Tiff
Old 04-05-2005, 08:11 AM   #9  
Never give up

Hi NBK, glad to see you posting. I love your humor, had me laughing as I read along. Well, glad you got to catch up with your friend. I do that too sometimes, sit out a whole afternoon talking with my brother or something. It does seem like a waste at a first thought but then I think, nah, it's great to be talking to him.
Listening to Blue Oyster Cult, Don't Fear the Reaper, love that song, very old now, do you know it? I think it brings back memories, or rather, just a feeling, of long, long ago, probably before you, NBK, were even born!
Hear you on the not like a statue. I know just what you're saying, don't worry. I was using those expressions for the non-horsey among us. Thanks for your words of encouragement!

"I have longish legs and arms," she says with a flick of her head as her long blond hair whooshes off her shoulders. Oh well, I have shortish legs and arms, short and fat, with thick bones, like a draft horse. Oh well! I could laugh at the "skinny, bendy people" though. The nerve of them invading your weights class?! Why don't you get a medicine ball and start playing catch with them, throwing the ball real hard like. Hipbones sticking out her back, hipbones sticking out anywhere, is that like a concept, or what?! I certainly haven't seen mine anywhere recently.

So, NBK, did you lose and miss the BF, or just lose him, or just miss him? or. .. . shut me up, will ya?

Yes, Tuesday, what have I been eating? Crap, candy and garlic bread pieces and chocolate and I'm realizing, that heh! I have been stuffing my face with utter crap. Oh, well, at least I got that pedometer strapped on again and hitting over 10,000, over 16,000 actually. I will get there!

Yes, it is sad with the pope. The more I read about him and see all the photos from his life I realize what an incredible man he was. I don't think they're going to find anyone anything like him. In fact, they probably don't want to. He probably hung around so long because he knew that if he retired they'd get some old fart to replace him.

Jeez, cat just crawled up my leg! OUCH! He can't jump into my lap, anymore, well, I mean he CAN but doesn't want to. Instead, he stands on his hind feet with his front paws on my thigh and pulls himself up! Guess he thinks he's latched onto a tree trunk or something, so I can't blame him.

Ok, good night, all! Get your butts in here, will you!?
Old 04-05-2005, 10:39 AM   #10  
shannon

Good morning, gang! Didn't get back in here yesterday. Couldn't get left alone long enough to do anything! Then, right when I was getting ready to leave, an ATL came in and said he had a problem. When setting up the computer to upload data for the next day's delivery sales, he missed a Y in one of the columns...yeah, the product column..hello! Can't sell what isn't there! And, it wasn't like it was in the middle or at the end...NO, it was the very FIRST one! I coulda killed him. I couldn't get it to work, so I had to call my boss, who, of course, had already left. She had to go thru this whole procedure of deleting stuff I had done and he had done. This morning, when I told him what had to be done, he goes, "So, it was your fault for not keying in the stuff right yesterday." No, moron, it was your fault for missing the Y. When I told him it was b/c he missed the Y, he said he hit the Y, it just didn't get put in there. Idiot, he showed me where the Y was missing! I hate it when he does the afternoon work. He always messes up and then tries to blame everyone and everything. It is just him! UGH. I was soooo mad. I coulda killed him. Especially after I told him to go on home and I would stay. No more. From now on, I am out the door at 5 pm no matter what! (Can you tell I am still angry????)

Red - My eating...well, it has been okay. I could definately do better, but my body doesn't know what it wants. Some days I am hungry all day (that feeling of hollowness in your stomach you get when you are sick), so I try to eat until it goes away. I choose as healthy as I can, but I am trying to just listen to what my body is saying, hoping if I can give it the thing it really wants I will get better. So far, that hasn't worked....Other days I don't want anything, so I eat just to keep my energy up. I have been eating more veggies, though. That seems to help. Plus, I feel so much better after I eat something. I hope I get rid of this soon. I think it was allergies to begin with, but now it has become a congestion and cough. I can't win for losing with this. Plus, the weather here in good ole Georgia won't make up her mind! One day its beautiful, warm, and sunny. The next it is raining and cold. The next, windy and cold! Just can't get a constant and that isn't helping, either! Not to mention that three people are on vacation, so I have to be here. No option for calling in and getting some rest! Oh, well, I need the money!

By the way, PUT THE SUGAR DOWN! You've had your time of getting to catch back up with the eating of sugar from your abstinence...but enough! Sugar is good to eat, but it really isn't good for you! It lowers your immune system (white blood cell production and usage) and tends to gather at the worst places (on me, my butt and hips!). So, put it down and step away!!! Think of Heidi having to haul around all that extra sugar you are consuming!

Btw, I LOVE that Reaper song! I wish I could find a cd with just that song on it! I may have to try to pirate it. I hate to do that now, with all the legal stuff going on, but....

Glad you are still walking and at least accepting the exercise thing! Maybe if you pretend to be excited, you might actually come to believe it??? Maybe????

NBK - You are soooo funny! I am tall, six feet even, so I can't even imagine trying to do yoga. I have no balance and no coordination. Just walking is an exercise in control! In my mind, I was seeing you on one of those giant balls rolling left and right, trying to stay balanced and ending up hitting the floor with the ball rolling to the other end of the room! Now, I see you like Red described you!

Ick! That lady with the bones sticking out! How does she sit? It'd drive me crazy feeling that bone stick everything! She must look like a twig or something!

Where did your BF go? What is extra veggie soup? I, too, am on the no money diet and could definately use another recipe to add to the cheap food.

Okay, enough rambling. My reports are finished printing, so i guess I need to get them and get busy finishing up end of month stuff.

Hang in there everyone!

Toots!
shanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:03 PM   #11  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Happy Tuesday everyone!

Hi!
Sorry I didn't get on yesterday- I have managed to get the flu. Murphy's law: You always get sick when you can't afford to be sick.

I am currently at school - waiting for my afternoon class to start. Thought I would hop and say HI!

Red-A draft horse??? I doubt seriously that you are built that way. You are so funny sometimes!
Great job with the exercise but now get away from the crap! You can do it! Just say No!
Thanks for getting us on subject- I tend to pick the subject for the day and then I don't follow it myself so:
My goals are to :
Eat healthy
Exercise at least 3 times a week
Drink 8 glasses of water a day
Try to keep my stress levels down
As for what I eat: I have been eating crap lately but I am trying to mix in healthy things as well. Since I have been sick - I have eaten a whole lot less.

Shan- Sorry you had to put up with that jerk at work! I hate when people are like that and there is little you can do about it. They just don't see what an a-hole they are. Don't sweat it though- I am betting your bosses know how fab you are! You seem really dedicated and talented at what you do so don't let that guy ruin it for you.

NBKYoga huh?? I admire you- there is no way I could do it. I would probably injury myself in the first 10 minutes. I am such a klutz. Anyway- more power to you!
I also am wondering- where is your bf? When does he come back??
Your extra veggie soup sounds yummy- send over a bowl would you?

Okay well ladies- I need to go. Hard to post at school. Everyone is walking by and snooping. I will hop on later tonight for some more chitchat!
Have a wonderful day!
Crime girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #12  

Hi everyone...just a fly by post...I am just popping in to say hello!!
Jazzmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #13  

HI!
First things first, my wonderful sexy BF is still VERY MUCH on the scene... sorry. All the exciting stuff I've been up to (concerts etc) the last few weeks have been with him. He's offshore at the moment, comes back next week. I miss him heaps. OMG if we broke up, my weight would shoot up to 500lbs and i'd be blubbering. Don't worry you'd know! he he... nah things there are very good. He's doing the yoga thing too. He got a DVD for surfers (pre surf and post surf warm up/down).. so we both kind of egg each other on.

Yoga- lets clear up a misconception here. I am the most uncoordinated person in the World. ****, even my eyes are uncoordinated.. the yoga thing is an attempt to fix this. However, just like my mother sending me to ballet when I was younger so I didn't walk like a farmer (she took me out cos I moved like an elephant.. not cos I was fat (i was a severly underweight child naturally.. but cos I stomped everywhere. I have no natural grace!) I don't really think it will work, but I might get some flexibility out of it.

Soup - umm no recipe sorry. It's funny cos I bought soupbones so there was some meat in it.. and the BF laughed at me for being an old lady as I got all excited about there being soup bones at the supermarket! (unless you go to a butchers the meat sections in NP supermarkets often leave a lot to be desired in terms of choice & price)
But it has: onions, carrots, a leek, a head of celery, garlic, peas, kumara (sweet potato), split peas, barley, lentils, beef bones (well meat now, took the bones out), beef stock, white wine, tinned and fresh tomato and lemon zest. It's pretty much like a veggie stew! he he.. it's got me covered for about 2 weeks worth of dinners! he he It's really filling.. i think cos of all the pulses and grains! gives me a nice full feeling.

Anyway I'll chat more later but gotta get some work done
p.s Shanberg, I totally hear you about the work guy grrr.. maybe you could give him some "special" brownies??
Old 04-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #14  
Never give up

Good morning, nothing much happened 'cept sleep since my last post. I'm up now, drinking coffee, reading your posts, Hurrah! you've gotten in here! So good to see some life. I was going to quit posting if I didn't see some action in here this morning! Just kidding, well, kind of. . .

shanberg -- sounds like you're in a bad situation at work. Working with people like you describe cannot be good for you. You've mentioned other things too, at other times, that make me think you really got to look for other work. Any chance of that?It's like me with the paper. I wish so much that things would go back to the way they were. God, I guess, that's what it's like for people who had a great marriage and then it went bad. You hang on thinking of how it was and also thinking you won't find better. I know I won't find better here in Tokyo because I know the other papers but I am trying to think of ways I can take the elements of what I like about the paper, separate them and find them elsewhere. (Thanks, CG, you had given me advice along those lines once!) Shan, being sick and not getting over it is also a sign that things are weighing on you constantly. I used to work at a publishers and I hated it so much I was constantly asthmatic. Guess I was just feeling so suffocated. This hollow feeling in your stomach sounds like it could be acid indigestion, probably nothing eating is going to help. But I am glad you are trying to eat more veggies. And thanks so much for telling me to cut the crap! Really, that's why I wrote it, because I was hoping someone would yell at me. I really need that sometime, need a swift kick in the pants. Funny, that's what my dad used to say when I was a kid. I think he was right. I got a lot of kicks. . . Oh, and heh, the BOC song, go to limewire.com. If your computer will support it you can do a search for practically any song around and get it for free. It's not pirating because it's file-sharing, so if you feel at all bad about it, don't! Oh, in your message to NBK, you said you were six feet even. Being early here and I'm still sleep-dazed, I'm reading "six feet ELEVEN" and thinking, wow! she is huge!! I'm just over 5 feet. Oh, and yes, I must think of Heidi. This is a mere numbers issue too, the weight being too high and uncomfortable for her. I can deal with that better, like a boxer or a jockey, mere weight, not appearance, not all those subjective things. Thanks.

Crime girl -- Good to see you! Sorry to hear you're sick. Damn, Guess all the worrying and such is getting you down and your immune system is probably shot to ****. Yes, the subject of the day, I'll have to check back and post tonight about today's. It was NBK who cued me in to write. I always forget them too. Yeah, well, I hear you on the poor eating. But, you gotta focus on what you CAN do. don't get bummed about what you've been doing. And CG, there are great yoga tapes for the hopelessly uncoordinated, very overweight or inflexible people and such. You should try one out. Yoga is a great way to get in touch with your body and you don't need any coordination really for most of it.

Jazzmine -- hi there! Glad to hear from you, even if it's just a flyby. It's important to the thread that you're here. Hope you're hanging in there and doing well with your goals. Take care and pop in again for a longer chat!

NBK -- Hi there. Sorry if I started something with the boyfriend being missing. I KNEW what you were saying, just was kidding around! I'm very glad he is still very much in the picture and that you two are having such a good time together. I wish I had someone to miss, knowing he would be back soon. I need to do some cooking and freeze the stuff. That makes for the best meals, because normally I have no time to prepare anything so I just eat junk or things that are more like snacking and so I never feel satisfied. Well, come back later and tell us more!
Old 04-05-2005, 07:38 PM   #15  

Hmm frozen meals.. they're good but the microwave in our flat is budget as. It has no turn table and so you get hot scalding bits of food surrounded by freezing cold ones, and then other times it doesn't really heat anything. I refuse to buy a new one as I own nearly everything and from how my flatties treat everything else in the place I know it would get trashed! so... for now I thaw and heat in the oven.. it takes ALOT of patience and planning... but still one day I will live by myself and be able to have all my things as I like them and not worry about others messes! he he (yes I am a bit anal retentive at times).

Hey red.. I know I love miso soup, so figure you would too - why not grab it with tofu as a low cal, high protein good for you snack? it makes me feel full and its good for you!! Another good "japanese" food we get here is chicken teriyaki sushi.. pretty filling. I know it's not real sushi but still.. i dunno... I know how easy it is to get bad but oh so tasty junk food on your way home, especially if you are tired!