Old 01-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #16  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Ellen~I saw that book on the shelf a few days ago and couldn't bring myself to even open it. I know she had nothing to do with the Peterson case other than having an affair with the guy but I still can't read anything about her. Didn't even want to see her on the talk shows-I kind of think she exploiting this and just saw a way to make money. I really was shocked to see she had a book out. I too have followed the Peterson case and it is so very sad to me. Lacey looks a lot like one of my cousins, with that pretty smile. I don't think the guy should die either. I think he should live a long life of suffering in prison. Just don't know how the man could kill his pregnant wife.

Read James Pattersons Honeymoon and was a little disappointed. They built it up to be great and I didn't think it was so great. It was okay, maybe give it 3 stars. So started on the Sue Grafton ones again. G is for Gumshoe, not so good. Hadd to skim thru most of it because it bored the crap out of me but had to see what happened at the end. So then started H is for Homicide, it is a little better than G but has it's boring parts. I hate that she has to go thru soooo much detail about a place or person. After that I am going to read a Catherine Coulter book, can't remember the title. Can't take too much of her books at one time but want to finish off the ones I have. I may take these to the used book store and either trade them or just sell them. Definitely not something I will read again. Anyway...Happy reading all!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:32 PM   #17  
Closed

Hi Cristi
As far as the book Witness For The Prosecution, I to wasn't sure that I wanted to read it, as a matter of fact after I ordered it , I tried to cancel the order but it had already been shipped. I wasn't sure what to expect , but I wasn't dissappointed with what I read. I agree that situations like this do get exploited and for the most part I dissagree with that., in this case I think ,and this is just my opinion, that Amber,was also a victom, she dated a man , who she believed single, and because of his deception,put her life and that of her familys in turmoil and danger.She doesn't sell herself in the book, its pretty straight forward facts,. I can only say in her defence that this man has caused her and her family a lot of heartache,and Amber is well aware of the heartache and torture to Laci and her family, if not for Amber , I dare say he might have walked,and justice would not have been served, she did put her life on the line , to help put this guy where he belongs, and I think as she was a voice for Laci and Conner ithink she also for her childrens sake ,needs to have a voice,to defend her reputation, and dignity and I think in this book she has done it gracefully,and respectably for her family,and Laci's Family .If she goes on to make other books then I would say, otherwise, but if she leaves it here, I can respect her decision to write this book. I also agree that Peterson should not die, I think he should live out the days of his life in general population not protected from the other inmates, I think he should know fear,live fear and die in fear, like Laci and Conner did, I will never know why people commit crimes like these, I guess you would have to see inside their souls to know. No one has the right to take a life, and to take the life of your wife and unborn child is pure evil. I wish for him many many years of anguish. I spent every minute of my Christmas decorating thinking of Laci the baby and the families of this horific crime , I could not put Laci's Christmas tree all decorated, nor her Merry Christmas on her chalkboard out of my mind,or the beautiful smile that will forever be etched in my heart and mind.

What type of books does Catherine Coulter write,.I have been reading some books by Debbie Macomber, When Christmas comes, its a light hearted Christmas story, The Shop on Blossom Street I am currantely reading and enjoying, and Changing Habits iis next ,I also have to read The Jewels of Tessa Kent by Judith Krantz and Love and Devotion by Erica James, these are the types of books I enjoy most as well as Barbara Taylor Bradford, Specifically the Emma Harte Series.I have a real collection of books I have read now,I know I will definitely read some of them again,I just have to figure out now what to do with them , I think I would like to keep them, I also wish that my daughter read , but she doesn't have time ,and she really at this stage of her life doesn't enjoy it the way I do, but who knows that could change someday, and she will have a whole library of books if I keep reading the way I have been.

Last edited by Tea Rose; 01-21-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Tea Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #18  
One day at a time

Oh Ellen~I do agree that Amber was a victim in this also. Because I don't think anyone really needed to hear her story. No to sound harsh but she came off like she didn't care at first. She was just out for a good time, looking for attention. I think she just got scared thinking she would get in trouble and people would think she had a part in it. But...back to her being a victim, yes she was a victim but I don't feel because someone was a victim (in her instance) that she should go off and do interviews and write a book and make money off of it. I think she just saw an opportunity to make some money off of it. From what we saw on tv I just don't have a good opinion of her and I can understand the book trying to explain things-wonder if there is any double talk. But that's just me and we will just agree to disagree, I do respect that everyone has a different opinion on things and once in a while we are not all going to agree-doesn't make either one of us right or wrong. Anyway...Catherine Coulter writes mysteries/thrillers (FBI). The one I am getting ready to read is Eleventh Hour. I like Debbie Macomber-I bought a couple of her Christmas books at Christmas time-thought it might get me in the spirit and it did!

Last edited by FrouFrou; 01-24-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:51 PM   #19  
Closed

Hi Cristi
I agree, to agree ,to disagree, but I do respect your opinion.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:38 PM   #20  
PamPSM644

Cristi and Ellen, living in CA I am well aware of the Scott Peterson case and Amber Frye. I discovered the girl and her family have been though **** due to this. They still are. Theres a web site by his parents gathering donations for further defence and lots of people are willing to donate. Go figure? Amber and her parents are still being tormented. Can you imagin just some of the cost they have had? Gloria Allred is a high profile attorney and I'd bet expensive. Plus I heard they'd had to move and go into hiding during the trail. It must of cost Amber a mint to higher her.What ever money she gets from this book I say good. Her life has been tainted by this man and there isn't enough compansation in this book for that.It didn't come out at the trial but the police thought he was coming to kill her. They found whats called a rape kit in his trunk.

Enough of that man,yuk!

I just finished The Tony Hillerman's book.Now I'm on to one set in Ireland.It's by Erin Hart and called "Lake of Sorrows". It's about a "bog body which at first it thought to be ancient but is then found to be waring a watch.

Last edited by PamPSM644; 01-21-2005 at 09:47 PM.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:06 PM   #21  
One day at a time

Why does Amber Frye need an attorney? Who is she suing? And why? I think to if she would quit going on tv and exploiting herself people would just forget about her tho and she wouldn't have to keep trying to defend herself. And she chose to have an affair with Scott, she wasn't forced into it. Anywho...I quit following it once Scott Peterson was found guilty and I sure don't want to see or hear what Amber Frye has to say. JMHO Anywho....

Trying to finish up I is for Innocent and have picked it up twice in the last two days only to read a couple of pages and put it back down. Guess this cold is making me not want to do anything. I was hoping to start Eleventh Hour by Catherine Coulter this weekend. The way it looks I will be sleeping all weekend.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #22  
Closed

Cristi I'm sure this is only the beginning of books movies,etc,and some will be exploitive, some will be factual and some will be heartfelt. This is one of those heartwrenching tragedies that will be debated for years to come.Scott Peterson has yet to be formally sentenced,and once he is I to hope that the devastating circumstances of this case will fade,but not the awareness of preditors like Scott Peterson.I think Amber Frey has an important message to relay to all women. Sometimes it takes someone in a high profile case , to bring awareness of the dangers, that are in our society,she trusted this man with her life and that of her childs as did Laci, How do we cast blame on the victims to blame Amber is to blame Laci both were innocent women who loved ,trusted and were betrayed , the only one here to blame is Scott Peterson and the evil that possesses him.Who better to speak out for victims ,than they themselves who have been victimized , to be denied to speak, is casting blame,and shadowing awareness. their voices should be heard , for people to understand,to become aware,that there is danger among us ,and we must do everything to protect ourselves,and our families. Maybe this is to an emotional case for me to have discussed here. We just have a difference of opinion, no hard feelings.((HUGS))

Last edited by Tea Rose; 01-22-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #23  
PamPSM644

If there is one good thing to come out of Conner's and Lacy's deaths it is to bring out to the forefront the fact that 90% of PG women who die are murdered by the baby's father. This is awful and needs to be talked about and people made aware of.Maybe then it can be prevented.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:57 PM   #24  
Closed

What A Sad State This World Is In, When Pregnant Women Or Any Woman Has To Fear Her Husband Or Partner,but It Happens Every Minute Of Everyday Somewhere,we Need To Be Aware , It Needs To Be Addressed , And Justice Must Be Served,so There Is Never Another Tragic Ending Like Laci And Conners.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:38 PM   #25  
One day at a time

Pam and Ellen~I was thinking of my post all day and it was buggin me because I didn't want you ladies to think I was coming off as a know-it-all or a witch with a 'b'. When I said I didn't want to hear or see anything about her- I meant in the media, not from you ladies. It doesn't bother me to talk about it. And to be honest I don't know the whole story about Amber Frye and I don't blame her for anything and I do feel for her. It is sad that her life is in such turmoil because of that idiot. But I don't think people are going to put too much into what she says because I think they have formed their opinions about her, I guess I am probably one of those people. I totally understand what you are saying Ellen-no one is to blame here but Scott Peterson. I just think in some cases people exploit themselves just to make money and that is what is sad-when another gets paid off of someone elses misfortune. And no there are no hard feelings. What is crazy is there are too many pregnant women dying nowdays and not just at the hands of their DH or SO. Like the woman who cut that girls baby out of her belly! That was just horrible and that has happened before also. Thank god this baby lived. Anyway. Just wanted to say that.

I tried reading today but didn't get far, as a matter of fact I opened the book, held it for a couple of mns. and just closed it. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:14 PM   #26  
PamPSM644

Cristi,we love you.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:22 PM   #27  
Closed

Hi Cristi
There is a lot of people who feel the way you do,everyone is entitled to their opinion.I assumed you meant the media,when you spoke, not to worry, no offence taken. I have been the same way the last month as far as reading, just couldn't consentrate ,so I would pick them up and put them down, I have just begun reading again , but I am sticking to more lighthearted books for now, I just finished one I had hoped to read during the holidays When Christmas comes , and I have one called Silver Bells by Luanne Rice that I also hoped to get through during the Christmas season but yet to read. The Shop on Blossom Street,I am just finishing up , both by Debbie Macomber, I have one more book of hers called Changing Habits, that may be the next although I may mix it up depending on my mood.I have stocked up with a few books ,so I have a bit of a choice,so I guess the mindset will dictate the one I choose. I actually tried to read a couple of other books but couldn't consentrate, on them at all,it just depends how I feel at the time, I do hope your feeling better tonight.((HUGS))
I see Pam up there and yes we do
Old 01-23-2005, 11:20 PM   #28  

Height: 5'1"

I forgot to mention that I finished the book I was reading.."Dark Rivers of the Heart" It was a good book. At the end...I felt it was leading to another book??? But I don't know. I really enjoyed it.

Now...to find another good read!!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:00 AM   #29  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

As I mentioned on the chit chat thread, I just finished The Broker by John Grisham. It was great! Although it's fiction, I suspect our government is ran just about as slip-shod and underhanded as the author portrays.

Now I'm reading a paperback version of Blue Dahlia by Nora Roberts. The cover says it's part one of In The Garden trilogy, which is a plus if I like the book. Has anyone else read this? So far, so good.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:46 PM   #30  
One day at a time

Marti~who is that book by? I thought I read something about it but not sure.

Jane~DS has The Broker which means I don't have to buy it. But will have to wait till he reads it. Used to be a fan of Nora Roberts but haven't read anything of hers lately, actually in a while.

Thank you Pam, you're a sweetie!

I didn't get much reading done at all, tried but didn't. I am dying to start Eleventh Hour but won't till I finish the other.