3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Proposals... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/49369-proposals.html)

FrouFrou 11-15-2004 11:23 AM

Proposals...

Okay, I was watching a show last night with Star Jones. She was helping three guys set up a proposal their girlfriends would never forget. I love watching stuff like that and seeing all the creative ways guys propose, so romantic...anyway would anyone like to share their proposal story?? Did your guy get creative? Did he get down on one knee? Where did he propose? Did he give you a ring then or did you go pick one out?

Let's hear your proposal :love:

Marti 11-15-2004 06:39 PM

Hmmmm.....lets see. The first year James & I were together we bought a video camera. One of the times that he was playing around with it, he filmed me messing around the keyboard and he asked me to marry him. I looked at him (w/the camera) and said "yes" That was in '98.

We talked about getting married many times and he kept telling me that he will find a romantic way to ask me. (we both forgot the video) We ended up just getting married. After we got married we went through a lot of our old videos and there it was! We both looked at each other and said "Do you remember that?" Kind of laughed saying.....must not have been rememberable if neither of us did......but I reminded him that was a month or so after his car accident...lots of stuff we did we didn't remember.

I can tell you how my sister was asked......Her husband planned a golfing game w/his sister and her husband. They were at the last hole and they made sure Sarah went first....she hit the ball and it didn't go in. She went up to it and found a plastic bag, which she thought was garbage and started to toss it...that's when he asked her "what's in the bag" then she took a good look and found her ring. Then he got on his knees and asked. I thought it was sweet.

I have stories on my family and how they asked too....all fun and creative!

Can't wait to read more from you girls.

KandiceS 11-16-2004 08:48 AM

I thought mine was sweet. we had been living together for some time and talked of marriage- something we both wanted. He had off one friday and he came home with a firesafe (we always wanted one for our insurance papers and banking and stuff) but he wouldn't give me a key to it. I was mad. I began putting 2 and 2 together though. then we went to the grocery store we had like $12 of groceries and he paid with a $100 bill. to test my theory I asked "I bet the jewelry store liked those $100s" and before he had a chance to think about it he said "yeah, they did". HAHAHA! BUSTED! (Chris doesn't like charging anything and I control the checkbook so he'd have to have the cash to pay for something)
He made me wait till wednesday- he's normal day off. I got up and he laid out my clothes for me while I was in the shower. a more dressed up outfit than I usually wear. and when I got home from work- he asked me if I'd like to go to eat. he took me to the same restaurant where we had our first date and proposed. He didn't get down on one knee- we had discussed that already- I didn't want him to if it was in public, but I wanted him to if it was private. He did good.

Jane 11-16-2004 09:27 AM

My proposal was in a little red Datsun!

Neal had been a member of the Barbershoppers singing group, and they had a show the Saturday night before Mother's Day. I sat with the audience, and met up with him in his car afterwards. His car had a console in it, and he asked me to get a different cassette tape (no CDs yet, back then) for us to listen to. He was fiddling around with something else - don't remember what, now. So, anyway, I opened the lid of the console, saw the ring box, but even though my heart started pounding like crazy, I just got a cassette and didn't say anything, and closed the lid. He smiled at me, re-opened the console lid and got the box, handed it to me, and says "I bought you a Mother's Day gift". I opened the box, and then he said how much he loves me and my kids, and thought we would make a good family, and asked "will you marry me", and I (of couse), said yes. Not on his knee - we were in the car, lol. I'll never forget the look on his face... Neal is not the sort to get overly excited about anything, but he was all smiles and sparkly-eyed that night. I'm sure I was, too. Then we went to a dinner party for the whole Barbershopper group, and it was surreal.

Btw, Mary was 5 at the time, and told everyone "We're getting married!" My son (15 at the time) gave me away, and Mary was my flower girl at an outdoor ceremony here at the farm.

da fat n da furious 11-16-2004 10:12 AM

Well,,,for a few years I felt jipped. Montes proposal was,,,end of May good for you? since it was the beginning of May I thought he had a dinner thing or something with friends lined up. I said sure...he tossed me the box and went and took a shower. I opened it and saw a beautiful ring...didn't put the ring on just placed it on the coffee table. I did make him place it on my finger and ask. He told me a few months later that he did feel bad about his lack of approach. This is after some friends of him told them about theirs.
So 15 years later he had moved to Calgary while I waited till the boys were out of school and such. Came home from work, to find the house a disaster, no boys. Freaking I started calling around looking for them. Doorbell rings, I go answer and its Monte. In a 3 piece suit, and a big bouquet of roses. Seriously all I was thinking was the boys, and by then getting miffed. I was upset over the mess, the missing boys,,,and well having to answer the door! Of course after he tells me they are with my mom, and to go change he was taking me for dinner.... he had bought a new suit, and me a new dress. We went to our favorite restaurant,,,Wild Rose. And during dinner gave me my anniversary ring,,,this beautiful ring he designed himself. 3 diamonds for 15 years and 2 extra for each boy. He then instead of taking me home,,,took me to this swanky hotel, overlooking the lake. Honeymoon suit,,,jet tub, he had a cd player and cds of romantic music...more flowers and wine. He had been s a busy man,,,there was nothing he missed...he even remembered to bring my contact stuff for my eyes, and makeup, and well everything.
better late then never.

FrouFrou 11-17-2004 01:25 PM

These are great ladies! Don't know if I should tell mine :o

Okay, so V and I were living together. I had moved here and was renting his grandma & grandpas farm house, he lived right around the corner. So first he asked me and the kids to move in with him because I was spending a lot of time at his house during the week and on the weekends the kids would go. Seemed kind of silly considering we were within walking distance of each other. This was July '98 and by Oct. I was feeling guilty leaving the kids home alone so V asked us to move in. We had talked about marriage and I knew that we would get married it was just a matter of when, otherwise I wouldn't have moved in with him. We were in bed one morning, Dec. 13 to be exact, listening to the radio and started talking about this and that and ended up talking about marriage. Not sure how we got on the subject. But he asked me if I would marry him and I said I would love to be his wife. He said, well I guess since I asked I should probably give you a ring. That caught me off guard because I thought he was bs'ing about the ring. He got up, went in another room, came back with a box and got down on one knee beside the bed and proposed again and of course I said yes and he put the ring on my finger and we both cried. He had planned on proposing on Christmas day-he said he wasn't sure how he was going to pull it off but that was the plan. Oh well...we started talking about dates right then and the only date that came to mind was my birthday and we stuck with that. Only to find out later that it was his grandparents wedding anniversary, which I think made it more special because everyone thought that was the reason we chose that date. Funny, DH#1 proposed in bed too! But his proposal was hey, lets get married! LOL We did and were happily married for 12 years. Anyway...

Anyone else want to share?? And Marti I would love to hear your families stories.

Jane 11-18-2004 08:50 AM

I just love all these precious memories!! :)

Marti 11-18-2004 08:48 PM

Oh l love to share stories....I know of only two family members proposals.

My cousin. She worked in real estate and morgaging.....every week people in her company would get on a radio station to answer questions people may have about it all. They had her on the station and told her that they had a call from a man who had a question for her. As she was waiting, she hears her husband (boyfriend) on the other end....she was like "What are you doing?" And he said "Well I have a question for you," starts talking about his feelings for her and how much she means to him and then says "Will you marry me?" And of coarse she said yes. All on air! It was sweet. Then they played their song over the radio as she went to see him in another room to get the ring!

My Uncle. He wanted something really romantic and he just didn't know what to do. He thought about taking her to dinner and putting the ring in her champaigne.......well he did take her out to dinner. They went out for Chinese....he had a fortune cookie made with the ring inside with a note asking her to marry him. Isn't that sweet?! I'm sure there was more to that, but that's all I know and I thought it was so sweet and must have taken some time to find someone to make the fortune cookie!

This is how James wanted to propose......he told me after our wedding day and tells me that he wished he had done it.

When we worked at Sony we had four on and four off schedule.....and we would accumulate time off...he wanted to take a day off saying he was sick and while I was at work, had planned on buying dozens of roses....make a trail of petals all the way upstairs to our room, have the room all done up with roses, candles and soft music and as I would get home see all that, follow the trail and see him waiting on his knee with a ring. I cried just hearing the story!! He had planned to do this the month that Sony closed...and not knowing that it was closing was a surprise to us and he says that Sony ruined it all. :lol: I just laughed and said it was the sweetest idea I have heard......then he tells me......we have anniversaries...............

Hmmmm.....wonder which anniversary it will be???

KandiceS 11-19-2004 08:50 AM

how sweet! hope it happens for your anniversary.

Chris was asking me what ideas I had- like how I wanted to be proposed to. I told him the idea I had- We both listen to the radio show on the local station- wanted to buy or sell type of thing- lasts 30 minutes. people call in and say "i have a refrigerator to sell, $100, phone number, blah blah blah" I said it would be neat for him to call in during that time and say he wanted my heart, and he wanted me to be his wife. awwwww. he even had an "in" on the radio station- he had done ads for them before- he could have easily done it. oh well.

Or for him to put an ad in the paper in the celebrations page.

Chris has told his son to make sure when he's ready to propose to the girl, make sure you run the plan by me first- I'll give him all kinds of ways to do it. LOL

FrouFrou 11-19-2004 11:12 AM

How sweet Marti...I hear so many proposal stories and just think how cool and sweet that there are men out there that will go to any lengths to propose. What amazes me is the restaurants and such that are willing to help. The radio one made me think of the local radio station that does that every year and this one time this poor guy spilled his guts and let all his feelings out. Everyone was aahhhing and then the girlfriend starting yelling at him saying are you kidding, you have to be crazy, are we on the radio, why are you doing this, there is no way on earth I would ever marry you...everyone got quiet, didn't know what to say so they cut it off there-poor guy. I felt really bad for him.