Old 08-16-2004, 11:33 AM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Default Our own little book Club if you will

Hi Ladies~

This is kind of a spin off of the Favorite Authors & Books thread.

I thought since we have some avid readers amongst us we would keep the thread going and share some of our favorite titles with one another. I am always looking for a good book to read and am always open to suggestions.

My most recent reads:

Just finsihed Blow Out by Catherine Coulter. Not sure why I am on a Catherine Coulter kick, maybe Angie inpsired the FBI agent inside me?! It was a good one as was her last one. I love the thriller books and am always in a hurry to get down to who did it! Anyway, started Kentucky Rich by Fern Michaels and so far so good. Fern Michaels is another fav and has some good reading.

Feel free to share you recent reads or past favorites.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:31 PM   #2  

Height: 5'1"

Anyone have any of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books? I have about 4 of them and love going back to them and rereading them. I read a couple stories from one of them the other day......always touches my heart.

I'm still working on the "D is for Deadbeat" by Sue Grafton.

I'll be back to share more later!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:50 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

I am re-reading the Anne of Avonlea series. They are lighthearted and just right for summer. I know they are meant for adolescent girls, but that's ok.

I have some Chicken Soup for the Soul books and have enjoyed them. But I have to mention this - there is a Maxine (the Hallmark crabby old gal) magnet on my refrigerator that says, "My soul has had enough chicken soup.... it wants some chocolate!" But the books truly are inspiring and have brought me to tears more than once. My latest one is for the Grandparents Soul.... I love it!!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:46 PM   #4  
One day at a time

Jana~love the saying on the magnet! I have read those books and loved them!

Marti~I have a few of the Chicken Soup for the Couple, Chicken Soup for the Soul, Chicken Soup for Women and I think another. I too love them and read them over and over-very inspirational. I keep one in my car, have had it there for a few years now. Anyway...I kept it there because I always picked up DD from school and read it while waiting for her to come out. She has been out of school for 2 years now and it is still there. I just hate waiting, very impatient when it come to waiting in the car so I make sure I have something to read so it's not so bad, and passes the time.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:20 PM   #5  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Im reading Sandra Brown Hello Darkness, so far so good, Im on chapter 5 now...
I tried to read Fern Micheals The Scrolls the other day but couldn't get into it,,,not one her better ones. I felt the charactor had too many problems...and annoyed me.
I really like Fern Micheals and can't wait to read her Weekend Warriors series.
And Cristi if your impatient waiting in cars,,,then you would never make it as a PI....I swear my butt is as big from all the sitting I have down in my back seat...lol
Angie
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:16 AM   #6  
One day at a time

Angie~not so much impatient waiting in cars, more bored than impatient. And I do know I would never be a good PI I would be so bored just sitting in the car waiting for something to happen. I am just impatient when waiting on someone while in the car, not like picking DD up from school because I always left early so knew I would have to sit for a while. It's more like when I took DD to a concert and told her to be out at a certain time and she wasn't and I waited about an hour for her, or if I am going to be late for something else because someone else was late that I was waiting on, or like when I was dating and someone would say meet me at such and such place at a certain time and they are late. So things like that. If I know I am going to have to wait in the car I am fine with it, but if it is unexpected it I don't like to wait.

I like Fern Michaels also. This book I am reading now I got at the bookstore last week for $5.99 and it is hardcover! Can't pass up a bargain if it is someone I like to read. Even though I have tons of books already that I need to read before buying more. Oh well, I will always have something to read.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:00 AM   #7  
self portrait

Anything written by Terry Brooks is a must read, although I am partial since he is my favorite author. I would give anything for something to read right now, don't care what it is, who it's by. It sucks not having any money, since I am such an avid reader. I am going to seriously go insane here. But school will be starting soon and I will have plenty to read that I don't want to so I guess I can't complain now. I am making a list though of all your suggestions for books, so in the future, if I have a spare nickel or dime I can start in on the list. so keep the suggestions rolling in. hee hee
SqueakMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:09 AM   #8  

Jana -- I LOVE the Anne of Avonlea books!!
Has anyone read "The Wedding" by NichlosSparks? I am about to start.. I hear it is really good & I have already read "The Notebook" by him - it actually made me CRY.
So, it was good
I have also started reading the "Shopoholoic" series... they are very entertaining! I started reading them because I had to take a break from Anna Kereana(sp?)!
But I think the best book I have read in awhile was "East of Eden" - can you tell I follow the Oprah Book Club??
My all time favorite book has to be "Gone With The Wind" I read it the summer before the 6th grade in one week - it was my first really long book, so it's kind of like my first love, I just can't let it go!!!
~krista
AllAmericanBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:30 AM   #9  
self portrait

Another recommendation:
Bring the tisuues, made me cry
short novel by Cecelia Ahern called P.S. I love you.
Very good, short, but very powerful, to me anyway
Also:
The curious incident of the dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon. Funny and moving short novel.
Happy reading
Old 08-18-2004, 09:05 AM   #10  
GmaTo8

Krista,

I also love Gone With The Wind!! I first read it eons ago, and had it in paperback. Then about 5 years ago, I bought it in hardback to add to my collection. I re-read it every 7 or 8 years and know it by heart almost, lol. In my bio, I have it list as one of my 2 favorite movies. What in the world did she ever see in wimpy Ashley?? Give me Rhett any day!!! Oh well, I'll think about it tomorrow!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:25 PM   #11  
One day at a time

Shanna~I haven't read anything by Terry Brooks, what does he write? I will have to maybe see if they have anything at the library to check out. Also, see what P.S. I love you is about.

Krista~"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" I also like Gone With The Wind although it isn't a favorite, but that line is! East of Eden is a fav and I bought it and reread it when Oprah started her bookclub up-so good!
Old 08-20-2004, 03:19 PM   #12  
One day at a time

I must say I FINALLY finished Kentucky Rich by Fern Michaels. Very good book if you like a good love story with a lot of drama and horses of course! It was a little sad too but still good. Not sure what I will start next. I have another by her I may read, or maybe something by John Grisham.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:07 AM   #13  
self portrait

Cristi: Terry Brooks writes the Shannar series, which is 12 books that are considered science fiction, but I think they are kind of like the lord of the rings, but more involved and much better. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the lord of the rings trilogy and the hobbit, but these shannara books kick major bootie!!!!!! I am not joking when I say the four I have read so far are my favorite books ever, And I read A LOT of books. Plus tery brooks is a nice guy, he HAND wrote my back and sent a hand written autograph bookmark. That is a special person who takes the time to hand write a fan back. So he has high marks in my eyes and plus, he named his books Shannara, hee hee. You should try them.
Ok, you and everyone has to read that P.S. I love you. I had to hold back the flood of tears , since I was reading it at work. I kept sniffling and wiping my eyes. Everyone probably thought I was weird. But it is an emtionally, funny book. Get it!!!!
Old 08-21-2004, 11:06 AM   #14  
One day at a time

Shanna~I will see what P.S I Love You is about, you have me curious. And the Shannar books by Terry Books. Although, I have never been a fan of science fiction and really dislike the Lord of the Rings. No offense to those of you who love it. Just never could get into that sort of reading, or movies.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:11 PM   #15  

Height: 5'1"

Anyone here have David Bach's book "Automatic Millionaire"?
I've been wanting that book and saw it today at a bookstore in the mall....but I didn't feel like spending $20 for it. Hmmmm.....that $20 could have made me a millionaire...maybe I ought to go back and get it!

I'm still reading the "D is for deadbeat"....when I'm finished with that I would like to read one of the book Cristi sent me....which one do you suggest I start out with??

Better go...talk to you gals later.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote