Old 08-03-2004, 10:47 PM   #16  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up ((((((((((((((((Gretchen))))))))))))))))))

Gretchen, I am SO EXCITED to have you here!! Gee, I didn't know you had that betwen the thigh wiggly thing going on........who knew? Jeez, you think you know somebody. Just kiddin' punkin' -- I am so, so glad that you found us here, and that you posted such a lovely intro. (Gotta love the nice stuff about me too, Pal-O-Mine! )

I didn't realize you were at this stage with the Crossbow!! That is so cool! Jeremy must have come up with a thumbs-up on it's soundness, etc......Yay!! Are you going to augment it with free weights? You know, I was talking about squats and lunges, etc... This is so cool!

That reminds me, I owe Gen a response on the whole topic of the Crossbow. Woopsie! Gen, sorry about that, I kept spacing on the response to your kind and caring nudges towards it; I am ABSOLUTELY getting back to it, I just wanted to fix the wheezing thing entirely before I went back to it, not only because I still have trouble breathing deeply, and that's kind of an important of lifting. Also -- and brace yourself for an ICK factor -- my one and only "regular" kitty litter box is located right near it, and I need to make sure the litter is clean and the area is odor free before I spend 45 minutes in the middle of it. Since Lorraine's been working, that means it's up to me when I come home from work, and whenever I do it, I start wheezing again, so I just don't think my lungs are where they need to be to work out with it THERE. But I definitely miss it, and I have NO uncertainties about getting back to it. I just need to take care of the bronchial crap first. Woowee, that took a while, didn't it? Sorry, might have given a bit TMO, but it's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Hey do any of you guys remember that theme song??? Man, it remains, for me, one of the rockingest theme songs I've ever heard!!!

Lynne, GREAT job on your OP day!!! Doesn't it feel great??

Gen and Summer, I really appreciate your positive feedback on my little milestone! You don't know how far it goes to keeping me motivated and on track.

Gen, I'm glad to hear that you upped your weights -- sounds like you made a good call! I was lifting to failure most of the time, and, after upping the amounts, I was so proud to see my weightlifting capabilities increasing......I highly recommend it. And that information you shared with Summer about nutrition was AWESOME!! Thank you so much -- that's great stuff!! Hey, how's your DietPower performing these days? Are the troubles over?

Summer, I just really applaud you for staying positive through your plateau........are you measuring? I forget. As for cardio that doesn't hurt your knees: swimming, elliptical, biking (depends.) What about lifting weights? Have you considered incorporating some weight training, to focus less on overall pounds than on body fat percentage? Might be an interesting direction to take your body. You could still do your pilates, tennis with your hubby, and the yoga bootie thang, just augment with weights 2-3 days a week. I dunno.....food for thought!

Update on my exercise: I did my cardio tonight instead of yesterday, so I'm on track so far for the week.

Night, lovelies!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:01 PM   #17  

Default Good

Gretchen, Thank you for sharing. Is the Crossbow a weight (type) machine. I think would definately help define and strengthen those mentioned areas.

Once upon a time (120lbs ago), I did alot of weight lifting and studing personal training to help me with learning more about weight lifting and cardio. I learned that weight lifting was one of the best ways to tone and define areas. It is very hard for women to bulk,
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:24 PM   #18  

Smile Good Day To All...

Good morning, actually afternoon here;

Gretchen, Thank you for sharing. Is the Crossbow a weight (type) machine? I think that would definately help define and strengthen those mentioned areas.

Once upon a time (120lbs ago), I did alot of weight lifting and studing personal training to help me learn more about weight lifting and cardio. I learned that weight lifting was one of the best ways to tone and define areas. Many women worry about the bulk. It is very hard for women to bulk, Therefore, do not worry about that. I never bulked and I lifted heavy weights, low reps, every other day. My personal trainer only recommended 2X a week.

Reommendations: Never begin with heavy weights, always hold a pelvic tilt to support your back, do not hold your breath, remember to breathe, inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth, not fast, but controlled.

I cannot weight to get back to that.

Anyway, Gretchen best of luck to you with the Crossbow, let me know how it works for you. I currently just started back with using my Firm tapes. I am up to 25 minutes, which is better than nothing. I will return to my old exercise routine

I am looking for some advice myself. Living near the beach I have LOTS of visitors. Mostly family. Well, to them they are on vacation or away. Well they eat like they are on vacation and this makes it so hard for me. My brother, his wife and my mother were all at my house last night and they wanted to go out to eat, I chose not to. Trying very hard to stay in control. I stayed home with my son and nephew. They brought us all back an ice cream. I ate it... I was not afraid of hurting their feelings... maybe I was afraid of being left out. I don't know. But my will power went right out the windo when I seen it. To top it off, I had no WW points left.
Help

I like the WW points, I am use to it and it is easy for me. What are some other programs or plans that others are following? Maybe a change will give me a little kick

Can't wait to hear from you all, stay positive. WE CAN DO IT, YES WE CAN!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 12:36 PM   #19  

Wink Hey Ladies

Good Afternoon!

It is less hectic here today so I can actually write

Welcome Gretchen to this wonderful and friendly group. I am trying to get the tummy (pouch included) tighter. As for underarms - I do tricep curls, pushups and yoga and they look good...gotta say! Thighs -again yoga and lunges, plies and pilates. Still a work in progress there. My goal is to get to be 125 pounds and I am currently 149. I am 27 and have been married for around 4 years soon. We are thinking about a family but I want to be healthier and not closer to 200 when I am pregnant.

Sarah I am measuring and the tape has not moved in either direction - but my calves are .25 inches leaner! I thought I did alot of cardio - yoga is considered cardio, I have a few cardio-aerobic tapes (not my favorite ) and I have a nori-trac for the winter time. Weights would be good to add... you are right on that part - I know I need to lose body fat so I take your advice to heart.

Gen you had a good point about stress...I have so much of that -Whereas I may not freak (because I am so used to it) out my body may. I am thinking about starting my own business because I am not in love with my job - I like it...but that is a long drawn out process right now. Why can't dark chocolate have anti-oxidants??? The information is useful - I will start looking into more vitamins and such - Thanks!

Lynne my Aunt lost tons of weight and frequently has guests and she has a shelf in the pantry just for them for snacks and such or she make kick *** hummus and guacamole or babaganouj to snack with chips, pita or veggies and when it comes to eating out she usually does appetizers - so she tastes not indulges. We (her and I) avoid chain restaurants like the plague. I wish I give you more advice but have no idea about WW anymore.

Speaking of food for thought...I'm hungry

Quote:
I have flabby thighs, but fortunately my stomach covers them. -Joan Rivers

from my favorite movie:
Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving. -Rosalind Russell, as Aunti Mame

be well.

Summer
GEMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:32 PM   #20  
I climb mountains!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMonster
from my favorite movie:
Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving. -Rosalind Russell, as Aunti Mame

be well.

Summer
Hey Summer -- no time for a big post now, but I guess I didn't mention that I was raised by Auntie Mame! I was raised (from the age of 5 months) by Marion Tanner, whose nephew was Edward Everett Tanner, pennamed Patrick Dennis. He based the character of Mame on his Aunt Marion, who was the person I called, "Mommy." She was FAR more interesting and together than the character, although she shared with Mame the important stuff: eccentricity, optimism, a completely unorthodox life, creative life decisions in NYC, a wonderfully open mind..... She was amazing. Remind me to tell you more, if you'd like! Oh, and Will Geer, her lover and a fine Shakespearian actor, was my godfather. I have a bunch of pictures from newspaper articles, and one of them is of Angela Lansbury (young and lovely) looking at a photo of me when she was visiting Marion while prepping for the role, which she went on to play (beautifully) on Broadway for years. And Rosalind visited too -- but hated Marion and was rude to her. (But she kicked in that role, didn't she??)
Old 08-05-2004, 02:22 PM   #21  

Holy I would love to hear more!
How cool is that!
GEMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:18 PM   #22  

Default the good and the bad

hi summer,

i'm nat actually sure which is the good news and which is the bad news here.
so i hate to tell you but choclate does have anti-oxidants! and yoga could be considered a cardio exercise if it gets your heart rate up, so you would want to periodically check your heart rate while you are doing it. but yoga is great regardless. i haven't gone for a while the class doesn't really fit my schedule.

lynne, it's so hard sometimes when others around you are eating away and you feel left out or have to leave yourself out but it's important not to stop living. if they are going to a restaurant that you are sure has nothing good to eat suggest an alternative. but remember not every meal has to be the meal of a lifetime, have something healthy and focus on the conversation and fun. so eating the appetizers is a good idea. you can get a large salad with grilled chicken or shrimp or beef and the vinaigrette on the side (then you dip stuff into it and you end up using a lot less and still get the flavour), grilled veggies, an order of veggies and vinaigrette and an appetizer portion of meat like a skewer or small plate of chicken wings. if people are going to bring back ice cream either ask them to bring back some sorbet or just measure out 1/2 cup for yourself and put some fruit on top to make it a bigger portion. you can order something you like and ask for a seperate plate. then measure yourself a decent portion (since portions are soooo out of control) put the rest on the other plate and hand it back to the server. just don't stop living because you are more than your weight.
sarah, summer and i don't do ww. i don't much about it either. we bought a comp. programme called dietpower (sarah owns about 30% of the stock i think ) that tracks our calories and metabolism and exercise. there is a ww thread here though, you could check that out.

sat is our annual picnic for friends and family so i will have to put my own advice to the test.

sarah that is really cool. i've heard of the movie but have never seen it. i'm going to check the video store.

i didn't work out yesterday. today is jogging clinic. 6min jog, i min walk X3 (i'm guessing). did i tell you about the 5k race in sept? going to sign up for that.
my appartment is so clean it's incredible how much cat hair and dust accumulates around here, i have to swiffer 5x a day to keep up! i'm thinking of having someone come in more often. this is just too good.

sarah, summer and i don't do ww. i don't much about it either. we bought a comp. programme called dietpower (sarah owns about 30% of the stock i think ) that tracks our calories and metabolism and exercise. there is a ww thread here though, you could check that out.

hey gretchen
have a good thursday all

gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:01 PM   #23  

Default run report

hi again,

the run went ok. i got some cramping so i stopped a few times to stretch it out and ran an extra four blocks at the end to make up for the time lost. on my way there i realized hey! i'm really hungry, i haven't eaten since noon and it's 6pm. i got those little stomach pains. so i didn't know how it would go. i was disappointed in the cramping because i hadn't had it in a while and did eat a banana in the afternoon, oh ok so i did eat since noon (that was breakfast by the way )

tomorrow is legs and crosstrainer

so wassup?

gen
Old 08-07-2004, 01:01 AM   #24  

Hey I havent posted in a while

Man school is staring in some weeks I hate school. I love to stay up reeeeealllly late. Then school comes ana then I cant. Hopefully this school year goes quickly. Well I did my exercise today. But I ahvent lost anymore weight. Im going to try a little harder. So I can get new smaller some clothes Wow everybody writes theese long big stories and all I write is a little paragraph.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:55 PM   #25  
I climb mountains!

Smile Hey Guys!

Ok, time to check in on how I've done on my exercise. So far I'm completely on track with my scheduled exercise. I've biked 4 times so far this week, no HIIT yet, but I was still able to keep up a good pace! Now I just have to hit again tomorrow, and I'll be at 100% for meeting my commitments for the week!

I've lost another 2 pounds, so I'm down 52 now! I would SO love it if I could knock another one off by Monday or Tuesday, so I could have a jump start on this Labor Day challenge I've got going. I'm supposed to reach 222 by September 6, and that's just over 4 weeks away. 10 pounds to go. You do the math. I'm trying to be realistic, but I have a feeling I can do it....I really do. Even if I don't, I'll still have progressed, so since I know it's a little on the aggressive side going into it, I'll be nothing but happy if I've shown good progress and have given it my all.

Candra, good to hear from you! I'm glad we didn't lose you! Great job getting the exercise in; since you want to lose weight, how's the food going? Do you track what you eat? Sorry to hear about the end of summer approaching -- but I'm sure it'll be good also to get back in the swing of things and see what kind of a summer everyone had!

Lynne, how's it going with you? Did you get answers to your WW and other plan-related questions? Did you come to any decisions about either sticking with WW or trying out something else? Yeah, none of us here do WW -- I have very little knowledge about the program. I've just heard that it works for some people and not for others! I think that's true for any program; you're just going to have to find either the program -- or combination of programs, like I did -- and then give it a good chance to work for you. It takes time sometimes to get the hang of it and settle into a groove. Keep us posted! What about the exercise? Did you end up calling any of your friends? How are you finding 3FC overall?

Summer, good job on the calves! I don't know if you're actually focusing on them, but just in case you are, another thing (in case you didn't already know about them) that's really good for them is doing standing calf lifts -- I'm sure Gen does these too -- you stand with weights in your hands and your feet below your hips pointed forward; then you just raise up until your own the balls of your feet. It's really effective at making them more shapely and tight, and giving you that little diamond calf when you're lean. I do them with my heels hanging off the back of the CrossBow base, so my heels are lower than my toes, and then I raise all the way up. I do it without weights, because I'm already heavy, and I'm looking for a range of motion in the exercise. I do 4 sets of 15-20, with the last set done to failure.

I hope things are going better for you in the plateau department. Have you shaken anything up yet in either your eats or exercise?

Gen, you are just my running HERO! I swear! I'm so proud of you, I really am. Did I read that it's important to have carbs before running? Could that be? Maybe you were just hungry? That crosstrainer sounds awesome!! I would love to have access to one of those, they sound GREAT! How did it go today with that and the legs? I love that feeling afterwards, don't you?

Gretchen, thanks again for your support with the drama at the other forum; having you know where I'm coming from really helps me to know I'm not out of my mind and overreacting to something that wasn't there. It's great to have you here with us! How's the exercise going this week? I know eats are great, and I know you've lost more, but I don't know anything about the moving of the . Did you and Jeremy order the CrossBow yet?

Hope you ladies are doing great!!! I'm feeling a little blue, just checking in, I'm going to go back try to do something productive.........Lorraine's sister and her kids are coming next weekend, and I'm going to do some detailing to prepare for the white glove! Can't wait to hear from you all.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:01 PM   #26  

Default What a day!!!!

It is a bearutiful day, not too hot, not too cool. Well the beach was a little cool. Yesterday was pretty busy, but I was able to avoid the fast food places and did not over eat. However, I was not able to exercise. Unless I can add, running in and out of hockey rinks with two hockey bags, two sticks and goalie pads My son and his friend had hockey camp, then awards, then later a hockey game.

Today, well so far I have survived. I have had 16 people here today. We all had breakfast, I did not have lunch because we are going out to eat tonight. My sister inlaw is having another baby boy and my mother, my other sister inlaw and myself are taking her out to eat and we all bouthg a bunch of baby clothes and diapers and wrapped them up for her. Kind of like a mimi shower.

Again, I was not able to exercise, but have been running around since 7:30 this morning, football, the beach, chasing and playing with kids. Busy day.

Well I will check in tomorrow to let you know how well all of your advice worked for me tonight at dinner.

Keep up the great work and thank you for the support.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:42 PM   #27  

Default hey all

hi all,

today we had out annual picnic, a little thunder and rain and then it cleared up. good thing: i now know that you can put all that food in front of me, you know chips, cookies, cake, hot dogs etc. and i didn't even want to indulge. some years i would just sit at the table and talk and eat and eat and talk. but this year this is what i had 1 turkey hotdog, 1 hamburger with cheese, tomato, lettuce, some bean salad, three cookies and some watermelon. and 3 beers. the thing is i wasn't depriving myself, controling my urges nothing i just ahd what i wanted and that's what i wanted. the less you eat the stuff the less you want it, i guess i've changed my hunger triggers too. and i'm going to eat a chocolate bar later and enjoy it and that's it. i'm not trying to be sanctimonious or anything like that i just wanted to tell where i am with this thing right now. who knows maybe next week everything will change again? i know all too well what it's like to struggle but it sure is worth it!
then i did something i've never done before. i'm NOT the perky type but i got up and having noticed that no-one brought bats this year rounded people up for a game of soccer baseball. we played for over an hour and i was exausted and sore and it was great! that was definitely my exercise for the day.

sarah, you're my hero! when i read your post in the other forum i just wanted to yell I LOVE YOU for that. you have such a great way with expressing yourself in writing. i haven't responded because i'm afraid anything i say will be construed as either judgement and critical or sappy and insincere. i just want to support everybody in this forum and feel really happy that i found a place where everyone else is so supportive also.
good going on the bike and on your continued loss. you are doing soooo great. i can't wait to hear your plans for next week.

lynne, sixteen people! ooof. focus on the company and the fun and not the food. and running around and playing with the kids can sure be a form exercise. you'll do great. hang in there.

candra, good to hear from you again. i never liked school either but it sure comes in handy later on.can you think of anything that would make it more fun this year? maybe some sprort or activity you could join? you couldn't pay me to join anyting when i was in school (too cool for that you know? more the smoking in the bathroom type) but i kinda regret it now. good going on the jumping! you could go old school and add some pushups and situps to that to work your arms and abs.

summer, what's up? hope you are having a good weekend and not worrying about the plateau, just a tweak here and there and it all sort itself out.

hey gretchen. it's funny, i responded to a post the other day about periods and it made me think of the book "are you there god? it's me margaret." and now i'm thinking that one of the characters in the book was named gretchen. that book and harriet the spy were my favorites. i hope you are having a good weekend too. glad you joined us.

btw sarah you are usually so right about so many things but now i have to say you are indeed wrong. i do not work my calves. tell if you think, and join in here anyone and anywhere else for that matter, if you think this is stupid but this is what i was thinking about my calves. they're pretty big (well i think so and i've been told "hey, you have big calves!") and hard so i thought why work them out? they will get enough work when i jog, crosstrain, squat and whatnot. i do no not want them, yes yes i know women don't bulk, to grow bigger by 1mm. so what do you guys think?

i had my bodyfat measured on one of those scales like you have sarah and it's 37.3%. i don't know what the margin of error on this machine is. does anyone know?

ok i've enough
take care
gen
Old 08-07-2004, 11:05 PM   #28  
I climb mountains!

Red face Gen, thank you so, so much.

Gen, I just wanted to post a huge thank you for saying what you did about that other thread. I've been feeling just so sad about it, and you really made me feel a little better. I have been feeling awful that I let myself get pulled into the whole childish, unpleasant mess, and then that noone else had a single thing to say about what I saw to be really obvious. A couple of people have PM'd me about not leaving, but they both said they were afraid of publicly posting anything supporting what I said. I also heard from one of the Maintainers who voiced support and invited me to make that forum my new home. I totally hear where you're coming from, I just think it's sad that people are afraid to post supportive words for fear of how they'll get interpreted. Behold the power of a bully! I shouldn't let her run me off, but I just don't have the inclination to wrangle with such a nasty person.

I really appreciate your kind words, and I really want you to know that you made me feel better. Thank you very much, you sweet friend. I sure am glad I have you for support!
Old 08-08-2004, 01:15 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Hey everybody! Again, Thanks for the warm welcome! Wow.. I have had quite a few weeks of a nasty plateau.. let me tell you! I am so happy to finally be past that.. I think so anyway! I am down 2 lbs this week. Today I did some cardio and later this evening I plan on doing some light weights. I have not purchased the CrossBow yet. I am teetering due to the fact that Curves is moving in .5 miles down the road. I KNOW that if I do the year membership it will be total motivation to go as much as possible. I don't know yet.

I am feeling so great today! Just really on top of the world. I had an excellent evening last night and today is off to a great start! I did my weekly measurements and my waist is down to a 32 on its way down too! I bought a size 11 dress on Friday and I'm lovin' that! Life is good.

I hope everyone is doing well! I plan to become more frequent 'round here. Sorry I have been kind of lax with posting. I am going to make it a point to get here more often. You girls certainly have the right attitude and support system goin on here.

Hope you had a great weekend.
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:27 AM   #30  

Hey
I went off, well I didnt go off I just didnt reallly count my calories but I really didnt over eat. Im going back on counting calories. ^_^ Today was my day of rest for my exercise. I love to jump rope its good excersise too.And I have been doing some crunches and lifting some weights.

Last edited by mnmcandiez; 08-09-2004 at 01:29 AM.