Old 07-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Smile Snacking: Which foods are healthy, which are not

Here is an artical I found on MSN.....thought it might be of some interest......I myself tend to eat some of these no-no snacks.....POPCORN being my worse enermy!!!

9 snacks that might surprise you
Susan Woodward

The hunger pangs hit in the middle of the afternoon. You reach for raw vegetables and dip, congratulating yourself on your discipline. After all, you couldn’t pick a healthier snack, right?

Well, that depends. What exactly are you dunking your carrot and celery sticks into?

Often a high-fat, high-sugar dressing or dip, according to registered dietician and weight-loss coach Julie Beyer. “Shift the recipe,” she advises. “Dip your veggies in salsa instead. You can eat oodles of that and never have to think twice.”

Many of the snacks we believe are good for us contain ingredients that are actually unhealthy, experts caution. Marketing is often to blame, explains Rick Hall, who teaches nutrition at Arizona State University. “They’re packaged to look healthy, sometimes almost in a devious way, but it comes down to the consumer’s lack of knowledge, too,” Hall says.

To help raise your awareness, here are nine snacks we often misconstrue, along with some truly healthy alternatives.

1. Snack bars

Marketed as breakfast bars, granola bars, low-carb bars, etc. Frequently made from refined flours, most brands are also riddled with fat (hydrogenated oils) and sugar (in its many forms). For a real energy boost, look for snack bars made from complex carbohydrates, such as oats, and minimal or eliminated fat and sugar.

2. Bagels

“Refined, white carbs are not OK, despite what you might have been told about their fat-free properties,” warns Hall. Oh, and one bagel is roughly equal to six slices of white bread. Go for wholegrain.

3. Pretzels

More refined carbohydrates. Pretzels have been stripped of fiber, that’s why you eat and eat and eat them and never feel full, explains Beyer. Replace with low-sodium, wholegrain tortilla chips, especially brands that use additional wholesome ingredients, such as black beans.

4. Muffins

Surely a muffin is innocent, right? Only if you want to consume 600 to 900 calories every time you eat one. Margarine – lots of it – is what makes muffins moist. Reap the benefits of healthy fats by eating an avocado, or a handful of walnuts, which contain omega-3 oils.

5. Rice cakes

Yes, they’re low in calories. That’s because they’re puffed rice – no vitamins or minerals, mostly air! You’re much better off eating a bowl of fiber-rich brown or wild rice.

6. Beef jerky

Jerky contains as much salt as the Red Sea. If you love it that much, make your own, or eat a soy substitute.

7. Popcorn

Again, almost always doused in unhealthy, hydrogenated oils. With their good-fat properties, olives are a wonderful alternative. Or try some protein-packed seeds and nuts.

8. Fruit

Of course, fruit is good for you, “but first you have to debug them of pesticides and germs,” Hall reminds consumers. To avoid eating risky chemicals and the germs passed on by dozens of human hands, always wash your fruit before you cut into it with your teeth or a knife. On the topic of fruit, Hall also recommends blueberries, raspberries and cherries. “They’re some of the most potent antioxidant foods you can get because of all the phytonutrients that give the fruit their color,” he says.

9. Fruit juice

Apparently manufactures don’t think the naturally occurring sugars found in fruit are sweet enough for consumer taste buds, because they add a ton more refined sugar to most of their fruit juice products. “High fructose corn syrup” is one of the most common ways of labeling these sugar additives. Same goes for most of the “sports” drink products. Squeeze your own fruit and drink plain old water.

A good rule of thumb for ensuring you’re eating nourishing snacks instead of snacks with little or no nutritional value is to use snack time to get your daily dose of fruit and vegetables. “Go to the outskirts of the supermarket, and buy from the produce section,” counsels Hall. “Avoid processed foods, or if you do eat them, learn how to read the food labels.”
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:52 PM   #2  
self portrait

I have to make a comment about popcorn being bad for you. Yes, it is if you drench it in butter and oil, I mean duh!!!!! I have a healthy way to eat it, since I am a popcorn freak. You can get the 98% fat free Orville popcorn bags, or you can air pop the popcorn kernels ( store the kernels in the freezer makes them better poppers) and then spray them with Non-fat, non stick butter flavored cooking spray. This is a great way to get your fiber, cut out all the oil abd butter and still have a good tasting healthy snack.
On a funny note, we buy alot of the 98% fat free orville bag popcorn for the microwave since it is healthy , low cal and low fat, however my boyfriend always defeats the purpose by putting two tablespoons of melted real butter on top and mixing. I told him he should just buy the butter popcorn if he is going to do that, What a dork. hee hee, men, they can get away with eating whatever they want half the time.
SqueakMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:39 AM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

The popcorn I have been getting lately is the Kettle Corn that they have at the stand in front of Walmart. I'm addicted to the stuff!! A man sets up his stand, pops it through out the day and I can just smell it when I pull up in the parking lot!!! He also has his popper set up at the Lone Pine Farms around October....always get myself a bag!! (I'm awful aren't I?)

I'm not a big fan of microwave popcorn (the kettle corn brand that is) it doesn't taste as good...so I tend to go for the real good bad for you stuff!!!!

Other than that, I totally agree with you. I'm not a big butter fan so I wouldn't drench it in butter. But I do tend to pop it in my pan on the stove.....kernels popping in oil......not good!!!

***sigh*** now I want some popcorn!!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:36 AM   #4  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Marti, same here,,,love kettle corn...
Monte doesn't use just a couple of table spoons,,,he gets a bowl out,,,I keep telling him to keep his life insurance policy updated...heartattack...

I have in the last week bought 2 bags of yorks mint patties,,,of course Ive shared them with eveyrone at work...I let it just melt in my mouth,,,yum...
ok I know thats not a good snack...
how about yogurt?
peanut butter spread on cellery?
a few almonds and an orange?
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:51 AM   #5  
GmaTo8

Since we grow our own popcorn and fruits and vegetables, I don't worry about additives and preservatives. Neal pops the corn in canola oil on the stove, and I count the points, so it's all good! Beef jerky - my kids love it for some reason, and I know the stuff is totally bad for you. I never did like it but they do. I think the key is moderation with these (and all) foods, don't you?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:42 AM   #6  
i luv my dog!

One of my main eating challenges has always been the salty snack attack. I'm counting calories now and I've found some pretzels that are 5 cals. each so I can have a handful, enough to satisfy the salt tooth, and it won't sabotage my calorie count for the day.

From the good part of the list above are two things I have in my fridge right now, blueberries and cherries. Good, bite size summertime quick munchies.

For the crunch but not too sweet, I keep carrot slices in the fridge and they last forever. If they are starting to get too old then I throw them in a stir-fry.
Other quick snacks for me are a hard boiled egg for 100 cals or a glass of milk because it is filling.

Last edited by a broad abroad; 07-07-2004 at 09:44 AM.
a broad abroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:06 AM   #7  
self portrait

I have been doing really good lately with desserts for my lunches at work and my idea was so obvious I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it before. I had been having my sweetie pick me up snackwells devils food cookies for my dessert, then we ran out an I was scrabling for something in my cupboard and found tons of boxes of jello and pudding. Duh!!! So now I have been fixing myself these things for dessert. They are sweet, but low cal and sugar free on the jello side and then I use skim milf for the pudding .So now i have a cheap, good for you sweet snack or dessert. It is so easy and it fullfills my cravings for goodies.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:29 AM   #8  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Shanna,,,smart...there are so many yummy recipes that have ff jellos and puddings. My friend Angelika made a protein drink that was like to die for using ff chocolate pudding. And Im thinking if frozen wouldn't it taste like ice cream..?? mmmm ice cream
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #9  
self portrait

..............................:-), Laughing has no calories, what a great snack. :-)